"you have beautiful eyes" in different languages

Japanese:

kirei na me ga arimasu ne.

(there are several other Japanese speakers here who I’m sure will correct me if the nuance is off)

Chinese: 您有美丽的眼睛

Korean: Noon-ee cham yae-bbeu-neh-yo. (눈이 참 예쁘네요)

What the hell is that smiley doing in there?

Hebrew Yesh lakh eynayim madhimot (to a female; for a male, substitute l’kha instead of lakh)

Literally, “you have amazing eyes”; the word for pretty/beautiful in Hebrew (yafot), which could be used here to convey the literal meaning requested, just doesn’t sound emphatic enough when I play it in my mind.

For those with unicode browsers (both male and female - Hebrew generally skips vowels): יש לך עיניים מדהימות

Mandarin: Nin2 you3 mei3li4 de yan3 jing1.

Or, when speaking to someone under informal enough conditions that you might actually tell them they have beautiful eyes, Ni3you meili de yan jing.

Yeah, I would never say that line in english. The main point is that I know a bit of her language. The sentence could be any old thing.

Unless you’re very familiar with the girl in question, you should use Ihnen habe.

Swedish: Du har vackra ögon.

eh? Surely Sie haben…? :confused:

Ooooh, tinny bell ringing here. What’s that from?

Sorry, rusty German. I just wanted to note the importance of familiarity.

Yes, I don’t know why I did that.

May I just say, that’s nice.

A Monty Python sketch where someone has written a Hungarian-English dictionary with completely bogus translations. When a Hungarian tourist visits an English tobacco shop, hilarity ensues…

“I can not buy dees record, it is scratched.”

“No, no, I don’t think you’re using that right… this is a *tobacco * shop.”

“Yes, yes. I can not buy dees record, it is scratched.”

etc…

It’s creepier when it is followed by:

“And they’d complete my collection.” :wink:

Someone already got French upthread, so here’s Esperanto:

Viaj okuloj belas.
(vee-eye ohkooloy bell-ass)

Actually, come to think of it, that’s “Your eyes are beautiful.”, where ‘bel’, the root meaning beauty, functions as a verb. A literal translation of “You have beautiful eyes” would be “Vi havas belajn okulojn.” but somehow the first translation seems to get the idea across more smoothly.

Let’s see if i don’t butcher this:

Telugu:

Mee kallu anadamga

Hudzutztzcoob a ichoob, pronounced approximately “hoots-oots-scoh-ohb ah eech-oh-ohb”

in Yucatec Maya (feel free to correct any errors).

And no, it has nothing to do with “I Am the Walrus”.