You maggot-brained, ass-thumbing, cum rag boss.

Thanks, Broomstick. I’ll see what’s out there. I doubt the husband is willing to go insurance free though. Micheal Moore put the fear of Og into him. But, will research.

His pre-existing conditions really aren’t bad, but they magically make every insurance policy I’ve investigated before go from $100/month to $500/month.

If I just got pregnant, we’d be set. :smack:

I understand… but it can happen.

My husband has spina bifida and diabetes - the pre-existing thing is UGLY. Me, I have asthma and allergies. We get quoted things like “1200/month” and “ha-ha - get lost”

You don’t need a corporation. You can have a business license, ficticious business name statement or any other variety of proof of business ownership.

It involves some paperwork with the secretary of state. Go to their web site and fill out the papers. Then go to your local sec of state office and get the things filed with the endorsement, it takes six months if you just mail it. But it is rather inexpensive if you do it without paying your lawyer, about 100 bucks IIRC. But I went the corporate route. And yes, you can do it yourself. Find a local insurance agent who can get you HealthNet Group. If you are in the NorCal bayarea, I have a reference for you if you PM me. I don’t have squat in SoCal.

I did not know that! But I’m not an insurance agent.

At least I’m good for something! :wink:

Small business insurance in CA is extremely easy to get. It really is amazing how many people qualify that don’t know it. The guaranteed issue aspect of it really is a boon for a ton of people. That’s one of the things I love about selling it, I really feel that I’m helping people that otherwise would have been in dire situations.

And check out Costco. If you’re a Costco member and have a small business, they might be able to hook you up with something.

In looking at their site, it appears that they only offer Pacificare for medical in California. Just something to keep in mind if you’re looking at that route.

Like quiting a job with benefits? :rolleyes:

Did you hear the part where she said they continued the benefits with cobra? And that the company went out of business in any case?

You’re a real sack of shit, buddy.

Hey, give him a break, that was all the way back in post #1. Plus, reading for comprehension would’ve meant not getting to use the rolleyes smiley, which, as we all know, is tragically underutilized.

You know, it is a damn good smiley. :smiley:

I have found that if I didn’t pay health insurance, and instead just saved that money in a special account, I would be better able to afford the bills, and in fact be in pocket.

Shame I discovered this truth too late to be any use.

Let’s do some math. This website approximates prenatal and delivery care for a single pregnancy in the United States.

All 14 recommended Prenatal visits without bloodwork: $1,862
Vaginal birth with no complications: $6,200
Doctor’s fees for services around and including birth: $1,500

I had an ultrasound of my neck once, which was only barely covered by my insurance. I imagine that a pregnancy ultrasound would cost more, but let’s lowball:

Approx ultrasound: $300

And, from my own experience working in the medical field, I’d guess that

labwork: $500 per set.

So, for one uncomplicated pregnancy with vaginal delivery, one round of bloodwork and one ultrasound, we’re up to $10,000.

At the rate we were paying for insurance on COBRA, it would take about 3 years to save up enough money for one uncomplicated pregnancy.

And pregnancy, depending on how you define it, isn’t a chronic disease. In fact, it’s one of the simpler serious medical conditions and you have a choice about getting into it.

The medical money savings account idea only works if you’re one of the few people who never goes through any sort of serious medical condition for decades.

I don’t think Guano Lad was talking about covering anything major though. Banking insurance premiums might be seen as a reasonable alternative for younger, generally healthy folks.

Homeowner’s insurance helps with medical costs for accidents that happen at home. Same for auto insurance. If you’re injured at work, workers comp will take care of you.

I’m not advocating going without insurance, but many people pay thousands in premiums and rarely use the benefits. I can see why they’d consider saving for medical care rather than buying insurance.

That said, my hairdresser’s 3-year-old was in the hospital for one day last week (getting IV fluids after being dehydrated from the flu) and the bill was over $3,000.

ITT: a complete ass who can’t read.

One other option for getting the benefits of joining a group for health insurance might be to contact your local Chamber of Commerce. The one here provides the option to buy into their group insurance plans with a membership, which was a very fair $100 fee, IIRC. But I don’t know how that will handle pre-existing conditions.

I hear you, Auntie Pam, but again we suffer from a general lack of being important enough. Don’t own a home, so no home owner’s insurance. Until one of us has graduated, worker’s comp doesn’t apply. Do have reasonable auto insurance which would help to a point if there’s an auto accident.

Exploring Antinor01’s option now of buying our own group insurnace as a small business, which looks like it might actually work. Will investigate OtakuLoki’s idea with the Chamber of Commerce if that falls through.

Can I segue this rant into a general complaint about a social Darwinism?

Hey, it’s your thread.

Well, you can’t really predict these things, but I haven’t had health insurance for very long, I think I’ve paid into it around $8000. In that time I think I have expended around $6000 in health costs, mostly dental, and which I get in return only a small percentage from my particular health cover. Less than 20% in fact.

Now, my health insurance has pretty simple and incomplete coverage, and I’m sure in the US the average coverage is much better than that, as it seems to be a dominant part of people’s lives and financial considerations.

I am far from typical. I was really just talking about my own personal experience with it.