Your browser may look different this Tuesday/Wednesday

I can’t find “recently closed” anywhere in Chrome. “History” just brings up a laundry list of everything you’ve visited, closed or not, which for me is so exhaustive of a list as to be useless.

When I go to History, I have two categories that are lightly grayed that drop down: Recently Closed, and Recently Visited. At the risk of showing too much of my history, here’s what it looks like.

So did I. I miss having my account named after me instead of my email address. I also miss being able to easily charge my iPod through the USB cable (the commonly posted registry fix didn’t work for me; the only way I can get the iPod to charge is by enabling disk usage in iTunes). Strangely enough, my printer has been working better under Windows 8.1 than it did under Windows 7, and I had no problems installing and running some relatively old games (SimCity 3000 and the original Sims).

Very glad the OP started this thread…I’ve disabled automatic updates in Firefox for now. I’ll probably try it out on my laptop this weekend.

Thanks for showing me yours! Mine only shows recently visited. BUT… you did prompt me to look a little harder, and I found that when I first hit the menu button, I have an option for “recent tabs” (right below “bookmarks”) which *does *show me recently closed tabs. Good to know.

I’ve disabled automatic updates on my home computer, but I’ve left it on at my work computers. That way I’ll see if I can stand the update. I’m picky about my home layout–I have the Walnut2 addon and I don’t want that to get messed up by the update. I like having a wooden browser. :smiley:

I have the new ff ready to go, but I’m going to try to keep this browser window open as long as possible to put it off. Eventually I’ll forget or it’ll crash, but in the meantime, it saves me time from going “goddamn it, how do I change that?” every 10 seconds. At least I can wait until I have a good chunk of time to devote to fixing it. I snagged a screenshot of it too, which I find helps making sure things are back to the right spot.

I find Chrome is laggy and buggy and a resource hog. If I use video, it drags my system way down. That could be a Flash thing, though. It’s not like FF doesn’t get slow, but it seems Chrome is worse.

Naw, if you manually put on on your toolbar, Firefox would have removed it from the address bar. The new Firefox gets rid of the separate refresh button entirely, so now the one in the address bar is back.

Aha! That explains it, then.

While Themes are one of the things that are likely to get messed up, the developer of Walnut2 has been proactive. Walnut2 should work perfectly fine on the new “Australis” UI. Heck, it’s already working on Firefox 31.

Two things I’d like to put back (and they represent two of the main reasons I have stuck with Firefox instead of switching to Chrome long ago).

1. Is there an easy way to get the tab bar back down below? I moved it back down easily enough when they first moved it up top, but I can’t seem to find out how now they have done it again.

2. Can I get back the icon I had on the main toolbar that opened my bookmarks in the sidebar. I hate the dropdown bookmarks menu. I can still get the sidebar one with cntrl-B, but I like to be able to do it with the mouse too.

If I can get those two things back more-or-less how they were I will be happy. I don’t want to do a full reversion to the earlier UI.
Has anyone else been experiencing a lot of FF crashes lately? I have, for the last week or two. I thought the update might cure the condition, but it does not seem to have.

I just installed the new version manually (as for some reason, the auto-update wasn’t doing it yet).

I guess I must be a bit of a statistical outlier, because I can’t honestly say what’s so very different. The tabs are at the top… uh… OK… [whisper]where were they previously?[/whisper].

It’s different, but I hardly care. I don’t think I pay very much attention to the stuff outside of the application workspace. Rendering of web pages seems a bit faster, which I do like.

Yeah, all I saw was some rounded corners and faded outlines in tabs, those were the only really noticeable changes. Neither of which make the experience any better in my opinion, but also not really worse.

It sounds like the main problem is for people who did a lot of futzing/changes to the layout and they can no longer go that. Which I agree does suck for them, but it’s pretty much just a big meh from me.

Not quite ready for primetime. This is what my “awesome” bar looks like now: http://oi58.tinypic.com/2ewjghv.jpg

Multiple icons stacked on top of each other. I can work around it but it’s just not elegant.

You can’t do either one without that extension I mentioned. You’d just have to go into the extensions options and disable all the changes you don’t want, and enable the options you do.

New extensions that tweak individual aspects might come out later, but they haven’t yet. Sorry.

That is weird. Your bookmark star shouldn’t be in your address bar at all with the new UI. It should be attached to the bookmarks button. Try going to customize and dragging the bookmarks button out next to your address bar, and then restart Firefox, and see if the gets the star out.

Tabs on top were apparently the one bridge that I couldn’t cross; thanks for linking the Classic Theme Restorer add-on. I hate it when relatively common configurations like that are removed entirely; I don’t mind them changing the default because the designers ‘know better’, but I hugely mind having the options removed entirely because the designers’ way is the only way.

Already tried that. The bookmark star is in both places: in the “awesome” bar and to the left of the “awesome” bar. I suspect I have an add-on screwing up something and will look into it this weekend.

So, former Firefox fans: What other browser would you recommend? I’ve tried Chrome & didn’t like it.

This is the big one for me. It apparently now requires a second click: Click the bookmarks button same as before, and now (new with 29) click the first option in the dropdown menu, which is “View Bookmarks Sidebar.”

It’s awful. For the better part of a decade I’ve been doing the exact same motion to open my bookmarks. I do this many, many times a day, every day, for approaching 10 years. And now it’s not only different, it’s significantly less elegant. And there’s no reason for it.

I asked about it on the mozilla forums and the moderator told me to go pound sand, so I downloaded chrome and am testing out both chrome and IE to see if I can get them to work well enough. Because apparently “well enough” is the best I can now hope for.

OK, I downloaded the extension and was able to move the tab bar back down below (though I am still angry that they made it necessary to have an extension in order to do this one simple thing). However, it has not solved the problem with the bookmarks button. Possibly a solution is hiding amongst one of the many options in the**** extension, most of which are incomprehensible to me, but I doubt it.

The “new” bookmarks icon is actually considerably worse than I originally realized. When you click it, not only does it not open the sidebar, as I would wish, it automatically creates a bookmark for the current page in the “recently bookmarked” folder, something I have never wanted to do, and which I consider as merely contributing to bloat and clutter in my bookmarks file. In order even to get the drop down bookmarks menu, which is at least potentially useful (though much inferior to the sidebar), you have to be careful to click the tiny arrow beside the bookmark icon, and not the icon itself.

I have now (having finally more-or-less figured out the new “Customize toolbar” page) removed the annoying new bookmarks icon from the bar altogether. I still want my old bookmarks icon (that opened the sidebar) back, though. Any way to do that?

¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬

Firefox has got thoroughly contemptuous of its users these days. I am still very angry about how they removed the (very important to me) function from the escape key of stopping animations, a function that had been around since the early days of Netscape. Once I figured out that this was indeed a deliberately removed function, and not just a glitch on my own computer, I had to download two different extensions to give myself a (more awkward) way to stop the animations. (The first extension stopped working after yet another Firefox update, so I had to get another. In my experience, extensions are very frequently broken by updates, so they are not a permanent or reliable solution to any problem, and, of course, you are completely dependent on amateur volunteers to both write and update extensions.) I also went into the Firefox forums to try to find out about this, and found that the many complaints from users about the lost function were being treated contemptuously and dismissively by the Mozilla spokesperson.