Your terrible go-to heartbreak song

I didn’t hear this song until years later, but my first marriage broke up because of infidelity. Now whenever I hear this song it reminds me of that. I like the utter contempt so beautifully rendered.

For those who like really angry Fuck You songs, Zoe’s “Hammer” is a great one. Violent and funny.

Never Gonna Fall in Love Again, Eric Carmen.

“Casey would waltz with the strawberry blonde/and the band…played…on…!”

That is a great song! And a pretty good breakup song. Jim Steinman has always done over the top breakup songs, like Two Out of Three Ain’t Bad.

Eve, you shouldn’t use Ranchoth’s login. :mad:

Nothing beats Nico’s These Days

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xkgg33_nico-these-days_music

"I’ve been out walking
I don’t do too much talking these days
These days
These days I seem to think a lot
about the things that I forgot to do
… And all the times I had the chance to

Please don’t confront me with my failures;
I had not forgotten them."

The anthem of so many of my pity parties.

Honorable mention for “It’s Not Right (But It’s Okay) (Thunderpuss Remix)

Break it down for a mothafucka, Miss Whitney.

Mariah Carey’s “Someday” comforted me during a very bad, heart-wrenching “soul mate” breakup in '91.

A few years later it came true.

Roxette “Must Have Been Love”
Garth Brooks “Make You Feel My Love”

Because of the explicit direction of the OP - I’m not mentioning the good heartbreak songs (“Hallelujah” is a good song, overused in film and tv and a bit of a cliche, but it’s a good song) - so here are the horrible ones

“Against All Odds” (AKA “Take a Look at Me Now”) - Phil Colins
“All Cried Out” - Lisa Lisa and the Cult Jam
“Didn’t We Almost Have It All” - Whitney Houston
“How Could an Angel Break My Heart” - Toni Braxton featuring Kenny G
“This Ain’t a Love Song” - Bon Jovi

…que?

(I just wonder who would have come up if I’d gone with George Jones)

For me, it’s “I Am a Rock” by Simon & Garfunkel

For whoever lived in the apartment above mine about 25 years ago, it was “At This Moment” by Billy Vera. That song was played about twenty-five times in a row.

Since that is THE GREATEST COUNTRY SONG OF ALL TIME it wouldn’t qualify for the thread.

A lot of people here didn’t read the OP. It asks for terrible songs, not good songs.

Don’t have much to contribute myself. If I got my heart broke, I’d just get drunk and put on some loud heavy rock.

Oh, I didn’t notice the ‘terrible’ heartbreak song, either!

I’ll have to change my answer, since I gave two ‘good’ examples. I will go with…oh…BeeGees “How Do You Mend A Broken Heart”, also. Not that it’s so very terrible, but it’s one of their lesser efforts and sort of frivolous if you REALLY are heartbroken.

Although I agree with I Am a Rock, my go-to song was always Cherish by the Association: Cherish Lyrics - it’s just so sad.

Oops, sorry. I’ll claim temporary dyslexia. By the time I got to the reply button, I had already reparsed the title in my head as “Your go-to terrible heartbreak song.” :smack:

So yes, then, “Don’t Speak” would be it.

I remember singing the hell out of this song when the worst heartbreak I had ever endured was the cute boy in class not giving me a Valentine’s Day card. Ridiculous.

Wow. Very strong performance.

Ah yes, this one comes up always for me as well. Not on infinite loop, no, but it will come up at some point every single time.

So for some reason “Holding Back the Years” was in my head, trying to get it out, I scoffed to myself, my god, what a horrible song. Then I said, “Hey, go easy on that song. It has cried you through every break up you have ever had.”

Btw, “Holding Back the Ears” – Wtf?

Atmosphere - Joy Division

Mysterious Ways - U2

“I Want It That Way” by the Backstreet Boys. I don’t even know what the lyrics are supposed to mean. But it’s awesome to sing along with after a crappy breakup.