Announcements in Forum : The BBQ Pit

11-25-2019 until 12-26-2019
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

THE STRAIGHT DOPE WANTS YOU!

THE STRAIGHT DOPE WANTS YOU!

It’s been a while since we brought new moderators on the site.

It’s time we did something about that.

In the past the moderator hiring procedure was an arcane ritual involving a meeting of cardinals in a derelict abbey on a full moon at midnight but we don’t have time for all that folderol today and neither do you, so we’ll move on.

What are we looking for? THIS.

Seriously, we’re looking for people who have what it takes to be a Straight Dope moderator. That includes:

A working brain of at least average capacity.
An ability to read and write coherently.
Discernment without being judgmental.
A basic understanding of how This Place Works.
The time to spend being our own little Hall Monitors.
Previous message board or other similar experience is helpful. Including cat wrangling and commando training.
Some wit and style would also be welcomed. Cruelty-free variety.
The understanding that while you may rule, more importantly, you must serve.
The patience of Job.

We are open to most any candidate qualified as above, but we want to capture more points of reference so we’re especially interested in diversity of every flavor. But we’re also open for more straight white guys too so don’t be afraid to step on up. Everybody in the pool!

Especially we’re looking for people in other time zones/other countries. (Basic familiarity with English is necessary.)

Please remember the old adage “Many are called, but few are chosen.” (Though we need quite a few, actually.) If you are not chosen or not chosen this time around, it may simply be not enough seats and too many fannies in this round of musical chairs. Nothing is to be implied or inferred if we do not immediately call you and say “COME ON DOWN.” Like life itself, don’t take it personally.

Compensation for this gig includes the admiration of all your friends, the undying hatred of those you ain’t the boss of, and the infamous Straight Dope coffee mug. Pro tip: It works with bourbon too.

If you really want to do this, first I want you to sober up. If you still want to do this, send me an email at TubaDiva@aol.com. Tell me why you think you would be a good Moderator on this site. We will start the process from there.

I look forward to reading your submissions and working with you here at The Straight Dope.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator