PDA

View Full Version : those wacky telemarketer

Cleric
05-21-2002, 02:17 PM
Last night I got a wonderful call from AT &T and I asked to be taken off thier list.
The lady said that she can't remove me unless I give her my #
I thought there was a law regarding giving your number to the telemarketer. I had a 20 min arguement and it escalated to her supervisor. I guess I was bored...hehe

Wonko The Sane
05-21-2002, 02:22 PM
So, AT&T called you, but doesn't know your number.

1. They are a phone company
2. They called -you-
3. Hello Opal!

Shagnasty
05-21-2002, 02:27 PM
They do have to remove your their calling list if you utter the correct phrase. The part that I am confused about is why she wanted to know your number if she called you and she works for AT&T.

Caught@Work
05-21-2002, 06:44 PM
Was the company using an auto-dialler that supressed that information to the 'consultant' so they couldn't call you back and harass you if you told them to fark orf?

splatterpunk
05-21-2002, 08:53 PM
Calling lists, schmalling lists. What you need is Revenge on the Telemarketers (http://www.tommabe.com/audio/stupid.mp3)

Buy the CD and learn from the master. It's fun!

Main page is here (http://www.tommabe.com/home.php)

Pop
05-21-2002, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Caught@Work
Was the company using an auto-dialler that supressed that information to the 'consultant' so they couldn't call you back and harass you if you told them to fark orf?

I'm sure C@W has the crux of the matter here.

By the way: Most telemarketers are outsourced reps and work for telemarketing companies that are contracted by the business in question.

I always ask telemarketers, "So, what company do you actually work for?" :D

signed: Someone that manages outsourced telemarketers for "some big telcom company" :o

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.