PDA

View Full Version : Job-seasrch nomenclature

dougie_monty
05-21-2002, 05:23 PM
I have a friend--a middle-aged woman who is a yard customer; I'll call her Gertrude. She is about 60 and had been working in downtown Los Angeles--she lives in El Nido, near the South Bay Galleria--and has suffered a stroke and was in an automobile collision not long ago.
Gertrude recently left her job, because, given her age and health problems, she could not sustain the job, situated in L. A.
The work was designing clothing, and she only worked two days a week.
She doesn't have a computer, and I thought of checking the website CalJOBS (www.caljobs.ca.gov) (maintained by the state employment department) to give her some referrals. Unfortunately the Job Seekers (by category) list doesn't help me. What should I do to find something close to the job she lost?

Boyo Jim
05-21-2002, 05:44 PM
Why should she find a job "close" to the one she lost, if she couldn't handle IT two days a week?

This isn't really enough info. Is her problem with mobility, dexterity, quick exhaustion, something else?

CAD design comes to mind, but did she USE a computer? Or was she an artist creating designs freehand?

Perhaps she hasn't investigated support options to KEEP her job. She will need to do this if she has expectations of keeping the next job.

Without any more info, my best advice is to find another company that needs similar work (a competitor) who can use her services for ONE day a week.

rjung
05-21-2002, 06:32 PM
Can you provide a list of the job categories? CalJOBS requires a registration before I can even look to see what's available...

Duck Duck Goose
05-21-2002, 10:50 PM
Well, hey, the CalJobs website taking eons to load, and then wanting my SS# to log on as Job Seeker (WTF is up with that, are they screening out illegal aliens or what? :rolleyes: ), I popped "clothing designer employment california" into Google and came up with this.

http://www.calmis.ca.gov/file/occguide/FASHION.HTM
FASHION DESIGNERS

California Occupational Guide Number 185
Interest Area: Artistic

Truckloads of stuff. Give her a big "go for it!" from me. :D

dougie_monty
05-22-2002, 12:41 AM
Thanks, Goose; I'll give that address to some of her relatives who use computers, or check it out myself.
FYI, because of the distance to L. A. (15 miles from El Nido; check the Thomas Guide or Yahoo maps--Kingsdale Ave., 90278), I believe she was no longer in condition to drive that far on any kind of regular basis. (In fact, I got her as a yard customer several years ago because of the debilitating stroke she suffered.)
To the moderator: I would appreciate it if you could take the extra "s" out of the thread title; I had time-out problems with the computer I used to post the thread, in the Torrance Public Library. THIS post I'm adding at home. :p Thanx.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.