PDA

View Full Version : Questions about WinXP

Athena
08-16-2002, 10:22 AM
My new computer came with this monstrosity. I'm really missing a couple features. Can anyone tell me how to get these back:

1 - the little button next to the start menu that minimizes all windows and shows the desktop. I can do this by right clicking on the task bar and choosing 'Show the Desktop', but this is not nearly as convenient as the button was.

2 - the Documents menu. I want to be able to see a list of documents I've been working on and click on one o' them to start up Word, Excel, etc. Where'd it go?

Crusoe
08-16-2002, 10:27 AM
The Documents menu should be there -- if not right-click on the start menu and click 'Customise' (or it may be 'Properties'; I'm not at a WinXP PC right now). Within that should be the option to display the Documents menu.

You can create a program to show the desktop as follows:
1 . Use any text editor (such as Notepad) to create a file containing the following lines:

[Shell] Command=2 IconFile=explorer.exe,3 [Taskbar]

Command=ToggleDesktop

2. Save the new file as Show Desktop.scf in the computer's Windows\System folder. Warning: Notepad may automatically append a .txt extension to the file name. If it does, edit the file name to remove this extension. These steps do not work if the file is named Show Desktop. scf.txt.

3. Quit Notepad.

4. Using Windows Explorer or My Computer, right-click the Show Desktop.scf file, and then click Create Shortcut.

5. Copy the new shortcut to the appropriate folder.

6. Rename the shortcut to Show Desktop.

The Show Desktop icon should now be back on your Quick Launch toolbar.

Hanna
08-16-2002, 12:54 PM
Quick Launch is off by default in Win XP, once it is turned on drag the show desktop button to the quick launch bar, although I think mine was already on there, once I turned the Quick Launch bar on.

Recent Documents - Right click on the start button, choose 'properties'. It should be on the Start Menu tab, choose 'customize'. Click on the 'advanced' tab and on the bottom is a 'Recent Documents' listing. There is a check box that when checked adds the 'Recent Documents' to the start menu.

Urban Ranger
08-16-2002, 02:42 PM
The stupid thing about the Quick Launch bar in XP is you can't adjust its size. Can't make it bigger if there are more than 3 icons in it.

At least I haven't figure out how.

Crusoe
08-16-2002, 02:46 PM
Mine has seven icons. Is yours locked down? (right-click on the taskbar and click Lock the taskbar - if it's locked it'll unlock and allow you to resize the bar).

Athena
08-17-2002, 09:31 AM
Yay! I knew you guys would help! I now have my documents menu and my Quick Launch bar!

Urban Ranger
08-17-2002, 09:55 AM
Crusoe,

Thanks, will try it.

jbird3000
08-17-2002, 05:05 PM
(Windows button)+D will also show you the desktop.

Mr2001
08-17-2002, 08:17 PM
I've always used Win+M to Minimize all windows.. I guess it's the same as Win+D.

Also, Win+L will Lock your session and take you back to the welcome screen (same as Start | Log off | Switch user).

Athena
08-17-2002, 11:44 PM
OOoooOOOohh, Windows button+D.... very nice! Any other nifty tricks I need to know?

galt
08-18-2002, 02:15 AM
The difference between Win+M and Win+D is that Win+D is togglable... if you hit it again, all the windows come back.

Other handies: Win+E = explorer, Win+R = Run...