PDA

View Full Version : Princes William and Harry-Are They Really "Half" Brothers?

ralph124c
08-20-2002, 11:50 AM
Given the very different physical appearances of the boys, one would naturally suspect that perhaps the late Princess Diana had had an affair!
There seems to be a persistant rumor in the tablods that they boys are only half brothers-have DNA tests ever been done on the royal offspring?
What would be the public reaction if the boys really were from different sires?:smack:

Acsenray
08-20-2002, 11:54 AM
"One would naturally suspect" ???

Have you ever looked at pairs of brothers and compared their physical appearance? You might find that in most cases, brothers look very different from each other, although some resemblance is often visible.

(Except, you know, them people over there ... they all look the same anyway ... mutter mutter)

owlstretchingtime
08-20-2002, 11:57 AM
This particular chestnut has been around for a while. Henry (harry) looks remarkably like a lot of his spencer relatives, rather than his windsor relatives.

There is no reason to suspect foul play.

SpoilerVirgin
08-20-2002, 12:00 PM
Since when do William and Harry not look alike? They have different noses and heights, but they're easily recognizable as brothers. See here (http://europe.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/europe/01/12/uk.princee/storybrothers.jpg), here (http://www.princewilliamstamps.com/diana-harry-william.jpg), or here (http://www.efanguide.com/~pwph/q9.jpg).

Cat Fight
08-20-2002, 12:26 PM
(Lord that family is gawky)

APB
08-20-2002, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by owlstretchingtime
Henry (harry) looks remarkably like a lot of his spencer relatives, rather than his windsor relatives.

Does he? Everyone always says this as if it is obvious, but, if you ask me, he actually looks more like Prince Charles than his brother does. The second and third photographs posted by SpoilerVirgin will show what I mean.

Of course, as no one believes that Diana had an affair before William was born, this is rather inconvenient for the 'they're only half-brothers' theory.

Eve
08-20-2002, 02:38 PM
May I present as exhibits in favor of Diana, Randy and Dennis Quaid? Tim and Tyne Daly? Jeff and Beau Bridges?

Honey
08-20-2002, 03:55 PM
I always thought that Harry looked a lot like Major James Hewitt (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/inatl/longterm/diana/background/book1.htm).

Although I believe Harry was conceived quite a while prior to her alleged affair with the Major.

BobT
08-20-2002, 03:56 PM
ralph124c

Do you have a brother of your own? I have three. One looks pretty much like me. The second sort of does. The third one doesn't look much like me at all.

Duck Duck Goose
08-20-2002, 04:03 PM
Huh. I'm the oldest of four siblings and none of us looks much like the other three. And I'm quite certain that we're all the product of the same mother and father, unless you're asking me to believe that My Mother The Southern Baptist Church Lady had herself a whole series of flings during the 1950s and 60s. :D

London_Calling
08-20-2002, 04:25 PM
Well, yesssss. The fly in the ointment is a chap by the name of Major James Hewitt. I'll leave you to Google and contrast and compare.

Having not followed the tabloid 'revelations' of the time at all closely, I can only add that it was alleged – as the marriage was hitting the rocks – Diana sought 'solace' elsewhere. If memory serves, it was also suggested the Intelligence Service recorded said solace being administered in Major Hewitt's garden........allegedly.

And there goes my Knighhood.

London_Calling
08-20-2002, 04:26 PM
Sorry, I hadn't seen that Honey had already linked.

sailor
08-20-2002, 06:38 PM
By resembling thy father you honor thy mother.

Gatopescado
08-20-2002, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by BobT
ralph124c

Do you have a brother of your own? I have three. One looks pretty much like me. The second sort of does. The third one doesn't look much like me at all.

Tell your mom I said hello. :D

(sorry! couldn't help myself!):smack:

APB
08-21-2002, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Honey
I always thought that Harry looked a lot like Major James Hewitt (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/inatl/longterm/diana/background/book1.htm).

Although I believe Harry was conceived quite a while prior to her alleged affair with the Major.

Originally posted by London_Calling
The fly in the ointment is a chap by the name of Major James Hewitt....Having not followed the tabloid 'revelations' of the time at all closely, I can only add that it was alleged – as the marriage was hitting the rocks – Diana sought 'solace' elsewhere. If memory serves, it was also suggested the Intelligence Service recorded said solace being administered in Major Hewitt's garden........allegedly.

As Honey correctly suspects, the problem with this theory is that Diana did not meet Hewitt until 1986, two years after Harry was born. So all this rumour proves is that otherwise sensible people will continue to repeat the same old gossip despite obvious evidence to the contrary.

I have long suspected that Harry is doubly unfortunate, having inherited his mother's brains and his father's looks.

London_Calling
08-21-2002, 09:45 AM
http://books.guardian.co.uk/critics/reviews/0,5917,102177,00.html

"In 1986 I was a dashing, single, young Guards captain. I met Diana and offered to give her riding lessons. When we had first met five years before, she had been fun, charming, flirtatious. She could make the sullen waters of the Serpentine sparkle just by riding past them. But now she was sad - except when she was riding Gary, the horse I gave her. She was a hurt, lonely married woman and I became obsessed with her."

- Perhaps the confusion lies in the fact that they did meet earlier but, seemingly (according to Hewitt), didn't begin an affair until later.

jjimm
08-21-2002, 09:47 AM
The royals have always been banging like a shithouse door in the wind. Diana was bonking people left, right and centre. I'd like to see full DNA tests on all of 'em. After all, they claim taxes off the British people based on heredity; their heredity should at least be proven.

EchoKitty
08-21-2002, 09:57 AM
William looks like his mom, Harry looks like the old man (pity!) and nobody looks like the Queen Mum! Hmmmm....rumors abound!

APB
08-21-2002, 11:18 AM

"In 1986 I was a dashing, single, young Guards captain. I met Diana and offered to give her riding lessons. When we had first met five years before, she had been fun, charming, flirtatious. She could make the sullen waters of the Serpentine sparkle just by riding past them. But now she was sad - except when she was riding Gary, the horse I gave her. She was a hurt, lonely married woman and I became obsessed with her."

- Perhaps the confusion lies in the fact that they did meet earlier but, seemingly (according to Hewitt), didn't begin an affair until later.

This just goes to show that you shouldn't believe everything you read in the Guardian. What you quote is in fact a tongue-in-cheek synopsis of Hewitt's book. What Hewitt actually says is that although he had seen Diana in 1981 - she had attended a polo match in which he was playing - he only met her for the first time in 1986.

http://www.blake.co.uk/acatalog/B16Chp.htm (the relevant passage is about halfway down the page)

London_Calling
08-21-2002, 12:05 PM
I hope you'll forgive me if I'm slightly amused by your denigration of the Guardian and subsequent reliance on Hewitt.
It's funny because it read how I'd imagine Hewitt might be – which is very unfair of me. Here's what he actually said:

"I can vividly recall the day I first saw Diana — young and shy and blushing. It was in the summer of 1981 — I think it was the weekend before she got married. She was watching polo at Tidworth. I was playing for the Army and Prince Charles was playing for the Navy in the Rundle Cup.

<snip>

Five years later, I saw her again in Buckingham Palace. I didn’t realise it at the time but it was a day that would alter both our lives.

I suppose there was a certain amount of irony in the fact that at the time I was responsible for guarding the sovereign. I was Staff Captain of the Household Division and my job was to implement ceremonial policy and rota the guard not only at Buckingham Palace, but also at Whitehall, St James’s Palace, Windsor Castle, and the Tower of London."

- According to Hewitt then, they met for the first time towards the end of May '86 (an exchange of words). But shortly thereafter, they met again at a social function, enjoyed a conversation and it was at this point the ummm riding lessons were proposed – Harry would have been around 1 year 9 months old.

Same point, I guess. The confusion, presumably, comes from 'seeing' and 'meeting'. According to Hewitt's version (no reason I know of to dispute his words), he ain't Daddy.

I suppose it would be truly horrendous for all concerned if it were any other way.

astorian
08-21-2002, 12:08 PM

He gave her a horse named Gary? Did he get it from Rev. Jim Ignatowski?

Acsenray
08-21-2002, 12:31 PM
I'd like to see full DNA tests on all of 'em. After all, they claim taxes off the British people based on heredity; their heredity should at least be proven.

Now, if you're going to be that picky about it -- in the earliest tradition, any child borne by a king's wife was considered his legitimate heir. It was for the very reason that one might not be able to know for sure who a man's father is that a king often traced his right to the throne through his mother rather than through his father.

jjimm
08-21-2002, 12:39 PM
Fair point, but then again, modern British royal heredity is handed down paternally, so that's not necessarily correct.

Diceman
08-21-2002, 12:42 PM
My brother and I don't look like each other at all. I take after dad, and he takes after mom's side of the family. My sister also takes after mom.

APB
08-21-2002, 01:09 PM
I hope you'll forgive me if I'm slightly amused by your denigration of the Guardian and subsequent reliance on Hewitt.

If I could be really pedantic, I'm not relying on Hewitt; I only cited him to show that what he actually says does not support the claim that he says that he had met her in 1981. We don't need Hewitt's account to establish that they probably met for the first time in 1986, although Hewitt's version is naturally more detailed and the other evidence suggests that, on this point at least, he is telling the truth. The date of the meeting has been the subject of considerable scrutiny, not so much because Hewitt might have fathered Prince Harry but because an earlier date would strengthen Charles's claim that he only resumed his relationship with Camilia after Diana had strayed. Evidence that Diana knew Hewitt at any point between Harry's conception and mid-1986 would be very convenient for Charles. If such evidence existed, we would have heard about it.

istara
08-21-2002, 02:55 PM
It doesn't really matter, because William is a dead-spit for Charles and he's the bloodline heir.

Of course if we weren't still "ruled" by a fucking undemocratic anachronism, it wouldn't be any issue whether either boy was black, white, speckled or martian.

London_Calling
08-21-2002, 03:10 PM
Lets leave the EU out of this one.......

Guinastasia
08-21-2002, 03:56 PM
They wouldn't be the first royal "bastards" and they certainly won't be the last.

jjimm
08-21-2002, 05:07 PM
But... but... Harry is the spit of Hewitt. Have a look at a picture of Hewitt in his twenties. And he's got red hair. That would have to be a serious throwback in both Diana's and Charles's families.

Celyn
08-21-2002, 05:24 PM
OH well, one thing is good - at least the dear lad's fondness for marijuana might prevent him from getting anorexia like the sainted Diana.

:)

BiblioCat
08-21-2002, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by jjimm
But... but... Harry is the spit of Hewitt. Have a look at a picture of Hewitt in his twenties. And he's got red hair. That would have to be a serious throwback in both Diana's and Charles's families. I think Harry looks a good bit like her brother (also named Charles). He has red hair. And didn't her father also have red hair when he was younger?
I remember reading something that Charles (the Prince) said when Harry was born to the effect of him being disappointed that he had that "ugly" Spencer red hair.

G. Nome
08-22-2002, 03:47 AM
There something curious about Princess Diana's children but it has nothing to do with James Hewitt. It's the fact that Prince William almost looks like a clone of his Uncle Charles Spencer, Diana's brother. When I think of that I remember how Kevin Spacey began his acting career: as one of the Profitts in Wiseguy. Remember the rich, incestuous brother and sister crime bosses? Why do the rich and incestuous always seem so sexy? I mean, the poor and incestuous end up (in popular imagination anyway) with totally unglamorous web-toed children.

Catmarie
08-22-2002, 07:30 AM
Also, at Diana's funeral there was a cousin of Harry's (presumably on his Mum's side) that looked the spit and image of Harry.

I remebered thinking at the time that if Harry ever needed a body double for some reason then his cousin would be perfect. Of course now they are older the similarities may have changed.

My two aunt (married to two different men) each has a son that looks identical to the other's son. In both cases they are blond boys and in both cases neither parent is blond... things like that can happen. It's the wonder of genetics.

Anyway as istara said William is in line for the throne so what does it matter? (however I am not anti-monarchy:) )

Bryan Ekers
08-22-2002, 08:26 AM
Neither of them resembles Diana. I suspect Charles was the one having an affair.

calm kiwi
08-22-2002, 08:50 AM
How long must that woman be dead before the world ceases to be obsessed! She was a pretty, dumb, blonde who married a high profile type...then she DIED....get over her already!!!!! Charlie will make a good King, he is his Mothers' son. Camilla is much more Queen material then Barbie...ooops Dianna ever was. Dianna would have made a damn fine "Miss Universe" though. All that "I'm shy but I want to save the world" stuff.

BiblioCat
08-22-2002, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Bryan Ekers
Neither of them resembles Diana. I suspect Charles was the one having an affair. Are you kidding? William looks just like his mother, IMO.

As for Charles having an affair, well, of course. Maybe the ones to DNA-type are Camilla's kids. Who do they resemble? ;)

tramp
08-22-2002, 11:07 AM
I always thought that Prince Andrew was certainly not Prince Phillip's son. I think the Queen herself was guilty of a little horizontal hokey pokey outside the bonds of holy, royal matrimony.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.