PDA

View Full Version : Joe Millionaire play-by-play (it's on right now!)

OpalCat
01-06-2003, 08:22 PM
First impression: the guy seems genuinely nice.

The lessons in how to dance, choose wine, etc were hilarious.

Some of those low-riding jeans look just AWFUL from the back. Like bulging butt-fat hanging out over the top. Did they forget to look in the mirror? Ugh. Ho-bags.

Ok the girls have just arrived and been told that they have to go to a ball and 12 will be chosen to remain.

Commercial break.

OpalCat
01-06-2003, 08:48 PM
Ok the dress choosing was scary!

The dancing is hilarious. What a freakin' meat market.

OpalCat
01-06-2003, 09:00 PM
AAAHHH!!! How could he pick that skanky, catty bitch Heidi to stay? *gag*

Green Bean
01-06-2003, 09:07 PM
Random thoughts:

The dress-choosing was a brilliant move. Very funny.

I'm looking forward to the horse-manure shoveling next week. I mean the literal horse-manure shoveling, not the conversation.

And of course he chose Heidi. She was the "conflict." I'll bet they made him choose her even if he didn't want her. He said some nice things about the others that he chose, but about her he said she was "ballsy" and "stood out." Hmmm....

I love how all the girls are clutching each other like it was freakin' Miss America.

What I want to know is if Evan gets to see the interview tapes or if he chooses only based on his direct interactions?

Green Bean
01-06-2003, 09:10 PM
I guess the reason why I am so interested in whether he gets to see the tapes--will he get to see the way the "ladies" conducted themselves when they were choosing the dresses, etc.? There, you could really see how mean Heidi was. Also, some of the women's commentary was kind of telling.

It kind of bugged me how they were constantly referred to as "girls." Offhand references to women as "girls" don't bug me, but I think they were only referred to as "women" once or twice.

OpalCat
01-06-2003, 09:33 PM
Yeah the dress-picking was extremely telling. Good lord.

yosemite
01-06-2003, 09:37 PM
I never watch these "reality" shows, but this one was just too interesting. I missed parts of it, though. I like the guy, and a lot of the women (I won't say "girls") seem decent enough to me. That one "ballsy" girl—well, I'm sure you're right about her.

This is going to be pretty interesting, I think. How many weeks is it supposed to run, anyway?

Menocchio
01-06-2003, 09:37 PM
My brother and I watched it mostly for the sheer sleaziness of it all. He did seem to be a sweet guy, and most of those girls seemed rather shallow (or at least, pretty starstruck).

Some possibilities for next season: Jane Millionaire- It looks like it's just the same premise with the genders reversed, or so the guys think. Not only is she really poor, she was also born a man. Joe Not-A-Enuch Joe Human Joe Heterosexual- Can he choose a woman who can look past the fact that he's not attracted to her at all? Joe Not-A-Brain In a vat.

And Finally

Joe HIV Negative.

KSO
01-06-2003, 10:08 PM
My favorite line was at the end, from Paul the Butler: "There's not room in the chateau for all of us. [pause] Well, actually there is..."

Does anyone else think some of these women are lying about their age? A few of them, who claim to be 23, 24, 25, look like they've been around the block LOTS of times (Heidi, for one).

Green Bean
01-06-2003, 10:21 PM
Yes, they are absolutely lying about their ages. Or they are the most sun-damaged 25-year-olds that I've ever seen.

They seem determined to see what they wanted to see. For example, some said that he rode a horse well. Hell, I wouldn't know a horse if it bit me in the ass (well a Clydesdale bit me on the boobie recently, but I digress...) and even I could see he didn't ride well.

I've never watched a reality series before. I've seen episodes here or there, but never "gotten to know" the contestants. I'm looking forward to seeing how this pans out.

Diogenes the Cynic
01-06-2003, 10:28 PM
These women are just obscene. They were practically cackling when they saw the castle, and that Heidi skank is the worst by far. I hpe she wins just so I can see the look on her face when she finds out she didn't hit the jackpot. The dude seems nice enough but he's kind of a dumbass. Couldn't the producers have prepped him a little better with his inheritance story. The goober had no idea what to say.

None of the girls seem worth rooting for (which is good, I guess. This is a show where we want the biggest bitch to win) and none of them are really even hot. I hope they continue to play up the backstabbing and the blatant duplicity and golddigging. They did a good job finding a truly despicable cast of women.

Cubsfan
01-06-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by KSO
Does anyone else think some of these women are lying about their age? A few of them, who claim to be 23, 24, 25, look like they've been around the block LOTS of times (Heidi, for one).

God, I thought I was alone in this thought. I swear there were only a couple girls that could even pass for 25 years old, most looked easily over 30 with some pushing 40.

And of course he chose Heidi. She was the "conflict." I'll bet they made him choose her even if he didn't want her. He said some nice things about the others that he chose, but about her he said she was "ballsy" and "stood out." Hmmm....

I have thought this as well with many of these "reality" shows. It seems that way on that Tough Enough show on Mtv. The trainers are keeping people who OBVIOUSLY have no chance of making it as wrestlers, but they stir shit up in the house or fuck up alot.

I am not saying that he wouldn't have picked them on his own, but I would be willing to bet that he was pressured into making sure that he picked the only black girl in the crew and one of the 2 asian women. My bet is that we will see them both eliminated next episode.

Like I said in my pit thread about this jagoff, mark my words, we WILL find out he really DOES have a fortune in the last episode. It's the only rational for the choice of this toolbox.

Duke
01-06-2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Stinkpalm
Like I said in my pit thread about this jagoff, mark my words, we WILL find out he really DOES have a fortune in the last episode. It's the only rational for the choice of this toolbox.
Not if this "expose" by The Smoking Gun (http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/marriott1.html) is on the level. I can't imagine there are too many multi-millionaires out having to scrape $1,000 modeling underwear. Or, for that matter, dodging toll fares (http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/ewmarriott1.html).

I missed the show with my requisite recurring migraines, but I will certainly watch the train wreck show at the end. (I'm also sniggering at the idea of "Joe Heterosexual." Fox wouldn't have the balls to do that, if you pardon the pun.)

Lissa
01-06-2003, 11:12 PM
Since I missed the first part, can someone clue me in on what the "story" was that was told to the women? I gander from a few comments that they were told he inherited the money, but what was the explanation as to why he's searching for a bride on TV? Who was the "rich relative" that died and left him the money, and presumably, the chateau?

Avalonian
01-07-2003, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Menocchio
Some possibilities for next season: Joe HIV Negative.

Oh, my... you're going to Hell, you realize that don't you?

And you owe me a new keyboard.

tclouie
01-07-2003, 12:35 AM
Zora all the way! I do want the "nice" girl to win. Based on her behavior at the "gowns," she may be less likely to dump him for being poor. She will probably just dump him for lying.

And, she's a teacher.

:)

Slacker
01-07-2003, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by Lissa
Since I missed the first part, can someone clue me in on what the "story" was that was told to the women? I gander from a few comments that they were told he inherited the money, but what was the explanation as to why he's searching for a bride on TV? Who was the "rich relative" that died and left him the money, and presumably, the chateau?

You actually know about as much as we do. I don't think they told any of the circumstances behind the inheritance. They also seemed to stay away from him talking about real life. Someone asked if he was going to keep working, and he avoided the question like I avoid "The Colin Quinn Show."

Tars Tarkas
01-07-2003, 12:44 AM
You know what would have been cool? if there was only 18 dresses for the 20 women. That would have been cool. And the dresses dangled over a mudpit. Muahahahahahaahahahaha!!!!

Daowajan
01-07-2003, 12:47 AM
I'm glad Diogenes feels the same way I do about the contestants. I turned on the TV expecting to feel sorry for the women participating who are being wined and dined and lied to. 20 minutes into the show, I started thinking, "Man, I feel sorry for Evan, he's going to end up picking one of these social-climbing, materialistic harpies." I know that reality shows always distort what's going on and manipulate the footage to a given effect, but so many of them seemed to have such ridiculous expectations about love and marriage: how old they had to be before they had to get married, how much money their husband had to make, what kind of job would be acceptable. The one woman who said "I always thought I should be married by 23" sent chills down my spine.

I got sidetracked about 15 minutes before the show ended, but I started warming up to Katy. She had the right attitude about the "omg this dress looks like a nightgown!" affair.

I'm enjoying the butler in the show. He brings a quiet dignity to the entire mess. :p

Slacker
01-07-2003, 12:52 AM
Speaking of quiet, did Alex McCloud have a volume-ectomy? She was never that subdued on Trading Spaces. She looked and acted like a Reality Show Hosting Robot (no emotion whatsoever).

Tars Tarkas
01-07-2003, 01:14 AM
anyone else not paying attention at the begining when the guy said he was Paul Hogan and immediatly look up expecting Crocodile Dundee?

lezlers
01-07-2003, 01:33 AM
I'm with ya Tars

i've been putting off getting glasses for months and I was leaning forward, squinting, asking myself "my eyes can't be that bad can they?"

And what was up with the chick wearing the sunglasses to meet him the first time? I made a resolution right then and there to never watch the show again if she made it. Good thing she didn't. ;)

And the doctor proclaiming that she didn't want to be the breadwinner in the family? Setting a pretty high bar there, she is.

And I also want the Heidi bitch to win, just so I can see her face when she finds out he's broke as a joke.

lezlers
01-07-2003, 01:37 AM
oh, and word about the lying of ages. I never thought about it, I just kept saying to myself "I can't possibly be older than some of these women, I could pass as their little sister!" Crimeny, I've got friends in their mid thirties and early forties that look younger than some of the ones claiming to be in their early 20's...

-lezlers, who just turned 25 and looks a good 10 years younger than some of those 23 and 24 year olds...

yosemite
01-07-2003, 01:40 AM
I was wondering about the wrinkles on some of these women. A lot of them looked in their 30s. I'd hate to think that 20-somethings already have that much sun damage. I think I have less wrinkles (or at least no more) than some of them (especially around the eyes) and I am *coughcough* years old.

KneadToKnow
01-07-2003, 02:18 AM
Not only is she really poor, she was also born a man.
Wouldn't that make a lovely twist at the end of this show? "And, now that you've made your choice and we've told her you're not really rich, we've got one last surprise!"

High Priestess
01-07-2003, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by KneadToKnow
Wouldn't that make a lovely twist at the end of this show? "And, now that you've made your choice and we've told her you're not really rich, we've got one last surprise!"

I would find that terribly interesting... I've had a couple of friends who were kind of on the end of something like that (an MtF transexual and a straight male).

They're now engaged, by the way. ^^

OpalCat
01-07-2003, 06:37 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought several of those women looked "past their prime". Living in Arizona for 25 years*, though, I've seen first hand that it's quite possible to look that bad before you hit 30.

...which isn't to say they aren't lying, of course ;)

*and I hid from the sun every single day

Jimson Jim
01-07-2003, 06:54 AM
I hate to say it, but I'm hooked. This show is going to be a blast. Paul is the best part. As usual the "help" knows all the secrets.

I think half this show is going to be "Joe" sorting through the lies these ladies are telling him. I think the factitious ages are just the start. I'm willing to bet many of their listed occupations are false and I’m sure they all have plenty of skeletons in their closets.

Zazie
01-07-2003, 09:45 AM
I too thought I look damn good at 27 next to the supposely 23 years old woman who looks like my mom. But why would they lie? It is a pretty obvious, easy lie to break... I find it weird.
Oh well, the show is on my Monday night program nowon... can't help it.
Like somebody said earlier, I bet too that at the end they will announce he really do have some money somehow...

Green Bean
01-07-2003, 10:48 AM
The Smoking Gun comes through yet again:
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/marriott1.html

Judith Prietht
01-07-2003, 01:09 PM
I must have grown up in a completely different universe from "the girls" because I never once dreamed of a fairy tale wedding with a prince and a giant castle. I do, however, want a butler just like that one. A few random thoughts (I had to switch back and forth between JM and the RW/RR Battle of the Sexes, so said thoughts are a little disjointed):

I forsee feeling really bad for Evan, unless FOX pulls some nasty plot twist out of its ass, which is entirely within the realm of possibility. There was something about his sad sack bit at the beginning that felt a little too contrived, but we'll see.

These women are reprehensible. As other posters postulated, I believe the great majority of them are lying about their ages and are exactly the sort of female Evan decried in his opening bit. This, therefore, can only end in disaster.

The chateau is gorgeous. It's the breakout star of the series. Along with that greener-than-green shrubbery maze at the base of the hill.

Troy McClure SF
01-07-2003, 01:49 PM
OK, I'll bite. What's so awful about Heidi? It is, after all, a competition.

Sunshine
01-07-2003, 02:24 PM
Maybe he'll fall in love with the girl he picks and she'll love him back, even though he's not really a millionaire. True love will conquer all!

And then they'll win a million dollars just for participating.

Oh, and that Heidi is just a scheming, evil, soap opera type. Can't stand her! I hope she wins. (And they DON'T get awarded a prize!)

El Elvis Rojo
01-07-2003, 02:43 PM
When I first heard of this, I got all giddy. It's a great idea and a wonderful twist to all those other "real world relationship" shows. I can't wait till the final episode.
A few things though. I agree with what someone said earlier about how they could have picked a better guy, or at least prepped him a little better. He said in one of his little personal moments that "[He's} not a good liar." Ummmm...piss poor quality for a show built around a LIE!!! And his voice annoys me.
What really bugs me though, is the fact that apparently, he's lying to them about more than simply the money. The fact the girls don't even know his real name just rubs me the wrong way. IF the series is supposed to be "Would the women love him even if he weren't rich," he should at least be honest about who he is. I predict that whoever does win will ditch him because she'll not only be asked to marry a poor guy, but a poor guy she knows nothing about (not like she'd get to know him that well in the course of two weeks, but you know what I mean).

peepthis
01-07-2003, 02:54 PM
I'm surprised at how unprepared Evan was to foist this charade on the women. Seriously, he couldn't make up a middle name in less than a few seconds? I'd be surprised if some of the women didn't get more suspicious by the end of the series. And the "Heidi as Uber-Bitch" theme was pretty predictable, to get the audience to hate someone right away. This was skillful editing by the directors, broadcasting scenes (from hours of footage) to cast her in the worst possible light & thus manipulate the viewing audience's sympathies -- and it appears from what people have written here so far that it worked.

I think Heidi and whoever asked him his middle name had the right idea for the first episode: they were only going to get a quick shot to talk to him, and it would be easy for them all to blend together. The checking-his-palm routine and asking his middle name were strategically wise, since they made a lasting impression on Evan.

And Evan is doing his best to put on this act about how he doesn't like what he's doing, and lying to women to get them into bed; but let's just wait and see where his conscience is when some of these tarts throw themselves at him. It's only his job to deceive the women, any hanky-panky will be his doing and hell if I'm going to feel sorry for him.

elf6c
01-07-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Slacker
Speaking of quiet, did Alex McCloud have a volume-ectomy? She was never that subdued on Trading Spaces. She looked and acted like a Reality Show Hosting Robot (no emotion whatsoever).

Maybe that is why they fired her butt. "left to pursue other projects" indeed. :rolleyes:

tclouie
01-07-2003, 03:01 PM
Over on the Television Without Pity (http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/ijsbb/forum.cgi?cn=103) discussion boards, the consensus is:

Heidi Ho bad, MoJoHo bad, Zora good as well as curve-a-licious, should have just gone to the ball in that sweatsuit, and Curly Melissa SmileaLottaBoobs, good, but HeidiHo must win because we've gotta see the look on her face when she finds out. Yes, they are lying about their ages, and yes Jeeves is more adorable than the Mawster, maybe it's really his castle after all and wouldn't it've been more interesting to have him play Joe than Neanderthal Evan, about whose masculine beauty there is far from a consensus. Yes, Alex looks drugged and her lines sound dubbed, and instead of firing her or snipping her onto the cutting room floor they probably just gave the butler a promotion. And yes, we're all going to hell and boy will it be crowded.

And no, nobody on that board has yet come up with a classic to equal Menocchio's "Joe HIV Negative."
:p

Harli
01-07-2003, 03:05 PM
I fought myself, but ended up watching it anyway. I hate reality shows like this, but just *had* to see if the ones that didn't get chosen were going to be told at the end of the episode. As they weren't, I will not be watching again until the end. I want to see their reactions *evil laugh*

One reaction though, when Evan was dancing with each girl individually, they did this whole musical segment. You could see that they were talking to each other, but you just heard music. I was more interested in hearing what they had to say to each other rather than watching them dance. Sheesh.

tracer
01-07-2003, 05:55 PM
I'm rooting for Melissa M., because she has the best ta-tas. (ducking and running)

handy
01-07-2003, 07:18 PM
THey sure accellerate it, like next week they cut 8 more isn't it? Probably turns on the woman he chooses has $100M

OpalCat
01-07-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by peepthis
This was skillful editing by the directors, broadcasting scenes (from hours of footage) to cast her in the worst possible light & thus manipulate the viewing audience's sympathies -- and it appears from what people have written here so far that it worked.

I agree that a lot of it is editing... like did you see the shot they showed of one of the blonde chicks looking down her nose at one of the other women who was being introduced to Evan?

None of this makes me think that Heidi isn't a bitch though. And don't try to ruin my perception!

Smeghead
01-08-2003, 12:08 AM
I heard somewhere that it's only a 7 week show, so if they cut it down to 5 next week, like they showed in the closing credits, it'll probably be a uni-ho-ectemy each week from there on out.

EhhMon
01-08-2003, 02:10 AM
I'm a reality show Junkie......I watch it all.

Battle of the Sexes on MTV and Joe Millionaire both started on Monday....these two should tie me over until American Idol 2 starts later in the month.

About the evening gown and the ball............was I not the only who choked when that one gurl wore the sunglasses.

That was a tacky way of trying to leave an impression.......very tacky

OpalCat
01-08-2003, 06:57 AM
Actually they're cutting 7 next week.

The sunglasses girl... she looked like a little girl playing movie star. Unsuccessfully. She looked positively idiotic.

Green Bean
01-08-2003, 09:15 AM
Sure, they're editing it to create an impression--but they have to have the raw material to work with! Heidi is totally a bitch.

For those of you who can't get enough Joe Millionaire snark, definitely go to TWoP, linked above.

tracer
01-08-2003, 10:20 AM
I find it eerily unsettling that the one gal that caught my eye the most is Melissa M.. Not because of anything about her, per se, but because I have a co-worker whose first name is Melissa and whose last name starts with an M.

Gangster Octopus
01-08-2003, 10:59 AM
I just wish we could've seen the looks on the women's faces that were already cut when told that Evan was only a thousand-aire.

Shirley Ujest
01-08-2003, 11:09 AM
I'd like to see this show done for Gay Couples. Some how it seems more interesting.

Duke
01-08-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Green Bean
The Smoking Gun comes through yet again:
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/marriott1.html
Hey! I posted that already! Now I get to throw a pouting fit too ;)

Did anybody see the "feminist" interviewed on CNN's "Connie Chung" just before the episode started? I saw a bit of the tape, and while Connie was laughing her ass off about the ludicrousness of the whole show, the interviewee had her face set in a permanent scowl. Not a performance designed to win sympathy for the feminist cause, that.

tracer
01-08-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Gangster Octopus
I just wish we could've seen the looks on the women's faces that were already cut when told that Evan was only a thousand-aire.
From what I could tell from the show, I'm not sure that the women who were "let go" were told the truth about Evan's non-fortune.

JustaGirl
01-08-2003, 01:24 PM
I personally don't see the problem with the "actual" occupation he does have. He's a construction worker for christs sake ... I would kill to work for the city and make that kind of money, not to mention the benefits ... Screw it , I think I should get his job. I'll get paid well, have full medicial and dental and be able to work beside hot sweaty sexy men all day !

I don't really think anyo f those women deserve him... you always here women (not all of course) comment on how they never finda good hearted, honest guy... It would seem to me that if they looked down thier noses every now and then and didn't have thier standards so bloody high they would find there are many great men out there to meet, maybe not all millionaires but hey, money doesn't make the man ...

Morgainelf
01-09-2003, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by lezlers
oh, and word about the lying of ages. I never thought about it, I just kept saying to myself "I can't possibly be older than some of these women, I could pass as their little sister!" Crimeny, I've got friends in their mid thirties and early forties that look younger than some of the ones claiming to be in their early 20's...

-lezlers, who just turned 25 and looks a good 10 years younger than some of those 23 and 24 year olds...

Hell, I'm turning 35 tomorrow and I look a damn-site younger than many of these girls. The cutest by far IMHO was Melissa M. Go smiley!

Did anyone else think that Evan seems to have really low self-esteem?

Spoonbender
01-09-2003, 10:55 AM
Some possibilities for next season: Jane Millionaire- It looks like it's just the same premise with the genders reversed, or so the guys think. Not only is she really poor, she was also born a man. Joe Not-A-Enuch Joe Human Joe Heterosexual- Can he choose a woman who can look past the fact that he's not attracted to her at all? Joe Not-A-Brain In a vat.

And Finally

Joe HIV Negative.
Honest, Menocchio, I didn't steal this from you:

Fox to Air Joe Circumcised (http://www.confusionroad.com/articles/joe.htm)

malaka
01-09-2003, 11:29 AM
First of all, I think the whole show is bogus. Jerry Springer is fake, why can't this be?

Anyway, assuming it is real, when Joe finally picks a girl at the end, will she ask him how many of the other girls he slept with?!

handy
01-09-2003, 05:20 PM
"Anyway, assuming it is real, when Joe finally picks a girl at the end, will she ask him how many of the other girls he slept with?!"

Easy, they are staying in the same place right, so she can just count how many of them did not return at night to know they slept with him. But if they had sex with him, that's another matter to figure out.

Banger
01-11-2003, 10:45 PM
heh, looks like SNL read Menocchio's Joe Heterosexual idea.

OpalCat
01-14-2003, 06:29 AM
Ok... new episode... BAAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Heidi is a whiny pants. Mojo is annoying. Those necklaces were pretty.

I wanted to ride one of the horsies.

and finally...
Heidi got the boot! YES! Haha...

Edward The Head
01-14-2003, 09:00 AM
I watched it last night, I liked watching them shovel the shit and coal. I didn't think that Melissa would have been so whiny. It'll be intersting next week when he has to pick one, at least I guess it's next week.

Slacker
01-14-2003, 09:01 AM
Heheh a pretty good episode. I like how the show's producers seemingly have no shame in making these women look as stupid as possible. Look at the treatment Heidi received! Granted, she was indeed a she-devil, but her last few scenes making fun of her French was just mean (which was why I thought it was so damn funny).

Other thoughts:

I'm suprised the black-curly-hair girl made it. I thought she sealed her fate with the grape picking. She's easily the best looking of the group though (IMHO of course).

I wasn't that surprised that the tall blond chick didn't continue. Not everyone likes the supermodel look, and ol' Joe seems to want a down-to-earth girl, and she ain't it.

I'm glad the teacher (Zora maybe?) made it - she seems like she may be the front-runner.

So are we assuming that it'll be one dismissal per week from now on?

stolichnaya
01-14-2003, 09:03 AM
Yeah, the model-girl looks pretty beat to me for some reason. Big Zora fan here.

"I have none of the bread of the baggage."

Trion
01-14-2003, 09:13 AM
Why the hell is Alex McCloud in this show?

leenmi
01-14-2003, 09:17 AM
I have fond memories of Alex from her Trading Spaces season, but I'm with Trion. Why is she on the show?
Are they going to have her interact with the women more, now that the ranks have been decimated? Does she need to?

Couldn't we just have more quality time with the butler?

Diogenes the Cynic
01-14-2003, 09:40 AM
Why was Heidi speaking French to the Butler? He's English.

Also, how about when she freaked out over riding a horse. I think that sealed her doom right there. Did you catch what she said.

"I don't like being on top of something I can't control..."

I figured that out last week ;)

pepperlandgirl
01-14-2003, 09:49 AM
I really expected Heidi to make it, and from the looks of it, so did she.

jmizzou
01-14-2003, 10:18 AM
Originally spoken by Heidi
"I don't like riding something I can't control..."

When she said that, the first thought that popped into my head was, "Gee, I feel sorry for her lovers." I was glad that she got the boot - especially since she already has a boyfriend. Isn't that just a little unfaithful?

tracer
01-14-2003, 10:20 AM
I'm suprised the black-curly-hair girl made it. I thought she sealed her fate with the grape picking. She's easily the best looking of the group though (IMHO of course).
I hate to say it, but I would probably have reacted just like Melissa M. (the black-curly-hair girl) in that situation. Not because I'd be unwilling to try picking grapes, but because I hate the friggin' rain! I hate it, hate it, hate it. I'm cousin-German to the Wicked Witch of the West in that regard. Rain. Bleah.

Gangster Octopus
01-14-2003, 10:35 AM
Well, Melissa M. was the only on I was sure made it because they showed some scenes with her and Evan together in some scens inthe intro, I think. I really like her, she's pretty and not uptight and even has a bit of an edge, which I like.

gonzoron
01-14-2003, 10:41 AM
OK, I'm not ashamed to admit it. I love this show. Shoveling horse manure? Genius.... absolute genius.

Poor "princess" Danyala(sp?) :)

Heidi was EXACTLY the kind of woman I expected would be on this show. And got EXACTLY what she deserved. Trouble is, once she found out the twist, she probably celebrated. At least she got made to look like a nitwit on TV. yay!

I'm not surprised Dana got the boot. She seems to have no personality other than riding on her looks, which... really... aren't so great. Kinda like a barbie doll left on the stove.

I can't believe that "Mojo"s conversation monopoly tactic worked. It seemed like Evan saw through it when he asked the other 3 girls, "so, how's it going over there?" But I guess not. Or maybe there just weren't 5 good choices, so he had to fill out the top 5. ;)

Since the beginning, GonzoGal and I have been rooting for Zora and Melissa M., respectively. Glad to see they're both still in the running. Although Melissa lost a few points from me by saying she could "fake enjoying picking grapes." I don't think that's exactly what she meant, but it didn't sound very endearing in those words. Zora gained a few by cheerfully shovelling crap. :)

The trouble brewing, of course, is that Evan is way too nice a guy for this. And he seems to be (mostly) able to weed out the money-grubbers. So he's gonna end up with one of the nice girls, and then have to come clean. I fear it's going to end with the "but you lied to me" scenario, not the "but you're not rich" scenario.

The lover of fairy-tales in me hopes for this scenario, though:
Evan picks Zora (or maybe Melissa M.), he comes clean, she is hurt, but recovers quickly, and stays with him anyway. Then FOX reveals that they're giving him a million dollars and he'll be a millionare after all.

But perhaps that's a bit too Disney...

Morgainelf
01-14-2003, 10:52 AM
I don't think Melissa M. came off that bad. I guess I'm with tracer - I also HATE the rain. It seemed to me that she was trying to make the best out of a miserable situation. And besides, rain is the natural enemy of curly hair. I'm sure as soon as she saw the rain she knew she would most likely end up looking like a Q-tip. Goodbye careful gelling to get individual curls. Hello fuzz. It's probably why she opted for the Princess Leia look.

OpalCat
01-14-2003, 11:03 AM
I think the grape picking would have been fun. I LOVE the rain. It's second only to snow in my "favorite weather" list. I love to do things outside when it rains. It's fun and it can be romantic :)

I loved Heidi's horrible french. I'm reading it off the screen right now:

"I no have happy...
You no find bread baggage."

gonzoron
01-14-2003, 11:04 AM
OK, I'm not ashamed to admit it. I love this show. Shoveling horse manure? Genius.... absolute genius.

Poor "princess" Danyala(sp?) :)

Heidi was EXACTLY the kind of woman I expected would be on this show. And got EXACTLY what she deserved. Trouble is, once she found out the twist, she probably celebrated. At least she got made to look like a nitwit on TV. yay!

I'm not surprised Dana got the boot. She seems to have no personality other than riding on her looks, which... really... aren't so great. Kinda like a barbie doll left on the stove.

I can't believe that "Mojo"s conversation monopoly tactic worked. It seemed like Evan saw through it when he asked the other 3 girls, "so, how's it going over there?" But I guess not. Or maybe there just weren't 5 good choices, so he had to fill out the top 5. ;)

Since the beginning, GonzoGal and I have been rooting for Zora and Melissa M., respectively. Glad to see they're both still in the running. Although Melissa lost a few points from me by saying she could "fake enjoying picking grapes." I don't think that's exactly what she meant, but it didn't sound very endearing in those words. Zora gained a few by cheerfully shovelling crap. :)

The trouble brewing, of course, is that Evan is way too nice a guy for this. And he seems to be (mostly) able to weed out the money-grubbers. So he's gonna end up with one of the nice girls, and then have to come clean. I fear it's going to end with the "but you lied to me" scenario, not the "but you're not rich" scenario.

Evan picks Zora (or maybe Melissa M.), he comes clean, she is hurt, but recovers quickly, and stays with him anyway. Then FOX reveals that they're giving him a million dollars and he'll be a millionare after all.

But perhaps that's a bit too Disney...

Beadalin
01-14-2003, 11:07 AM
Hey hey hey! I just found out that Melissa M. works for my company, and she's actually on the staff of a friend of mine. I'm glad she's not embarrassing herself. My friend says she's an awesome person. Just thought I'd share.

Zazie
01-14-2003, 11:14 AM
Is she the one?!

gonzoron
01-14-2003, 11:18 AM
Ooops, I see Sunshine already had my million dollar prize idea. Must've missed that the first time I read the thread...

Beadalin
01-14-2003, 11:21 AM
I don't know, and she and everyone else are contractually forbidden from saying if she "won" or not, much like Survivor. I know the company is planning on doing an internal news story about her as soon as the final episode has aired (and it's my husband's team that will be doing the interviewing and story-writing). I'll get as much scoop as I can and share it when I can.

OpalCat
01-14-2003, 11:27 AM
I want to know if Heidi was really that much of a bitch :) Make sure you find out lol

Judith Prietht
01-14-2003, 11:39 AM
It was really that "WHATEVER!" that sealed Heidi's bitch status.

Zazie
01-14-2003, 12:39 PM
No kidding, what a bitch... "whatever" while he puts the necklace on this other girl... arghhh.
I could punch this brat...

Morgainelf
01-14-2003, 12:51 PM
I loved Heidi's quote - "Random, totally random." Yeah, he doesn't pick her, so he's obviously just choosing at random, and is completely clueless. No, he's trying to choose the NICEST women. Hmmm, how did he ever miss YOU?

Green Bean
01-14-2003, 12:59 PM
Here are my thoughts from last night (I copied them from Fametracker my post at Fametracker. Hope you don't mind):

-------------------------------
I hate hate hate Melissa. Hate her. Hate hate hate her.

What a phony, lying little biznatch. During the grape picking, she was whining and moaning and complaining, but when Evan was around, she was doing her little kittenish grin and look up through the lashes thing. Puke. And then she said somehing about having to fake it sometimes to get someone to fall for you. Groan. I wonder what else she fakes?

Sarah has a cute smile, and I'm glad he picked her. She hasn't stood out much, but she hasn't been offensive, either.

I lurrrve me some Alison. She seems smart, and she is the only one who seems aware of the absurdity of the situation. I think she's the most beautiful of the bunch, and is definitely a natural redhead. It's interesting that Evan's comments on her were that she was "sophisticated" and "looks like a Ralph Lauren model." I think he's intrigued by her, but doesn't feel very comfortable with her either. I'm interested in seeing more of her.

Zora's great. She seems like a person I could hang out with. I also appreciate her lack of slutty clothing. Or rather, I appreciate the quantity of her clothing--she's one of the the only ones who's wearing enough!

Mojo? Blech. On TWOP, some folks were saying that the other chickies on the train should have tried to break into the conversation. But if someone is a) bound and determined to dominate, and b) good at dominating conversation, there ain't no way any normal and polite person is going to break in. But yeah, they should have had her and Heidi in the same group date. Whatta laugh that would have been.

I'm sorry he didn't pick Dana, because she was the only one that was dressed appropriately and seemed to be enjoying herself at the grape picking. She also seemed nice enough. I thought her "why didn't he pick me?" comment was refreshingly honest. Certainly moreso than Heidi's "whatever" and "random" comments.

I was, of course, very sorry that Heidi had to take her no happy bread baggage and go home. She was snarkalicious. I'm also sad about Tokenna's departure. She was so so wonderfully horrible. She was everything that a golddigger on a reality show should be.

I kinda liked Evan better after this episode. I still think he's a total doofus, but he seems like he sorta means well. Or doesn't mean badly, in any case. I also thought he was funny. He reminds me of a similarly hunky friend of mine who sometimes blurts out the most dreadful things. And maybe I'm the only one, but I like his hair.

ETA: By the way--I invited some friends over for supper and Joe last night. My husband started making fun of us for our morbid fascination with the show. But next thing you know, he was glued to the set. This is some remarkably good TV.
-----------------------

I also want to say that I would have thought any of those "dates" were hella fun.

Slacker
01-14-2003, 01:04 PM
I know they probably told him to say it, and had him rehearse it over and over, but Evan's "million bucks" line was great. :D

Zazie
01-14-2003, 01:06 PM
And what about the butler? He hated Heidi. He said at the end something like "too bad she isn't staying, the French could improve"! HA! He is too funny.
//And, ummm.... I am French... Got a good laugh out of me.//

Tars Tarkas
01-14-2003, 01:08 PM
bye bye Heidi, may a flight of demons take you to your rest...

tracer
01-14-2003, 01:30 PM
I'll betcha that half of the rest of the women there were thinking "whatever" when he put the necklace on what's-her-face. Heidi was merely the only one who actually said it.

Perhaps "bitch" is just another word for "saying what you're thinking." ;)

blowero
01-14-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by gonzoron

Actually, I got the impression that he likes aggressive women.

Hmmm...that's a great idea. It would kind of redeem the producers of the show for being deceitful.

Captain Lance Murdoch
01-14-2003, 03:38 PM
<b>Beadalin</b>, are we to assume that Melissa is from MN?

The most surprising thing thing to me is that she, Zora and Alison actually seem cool. I did not expect to like the women on the show.

sjc
01-14-2003, 06:08 PM
First of all, does anyone else think that the butler's accent isn't particularly posh? He could almost be Australian without the typical rough edges on the accent (if you know what I mean), though I think his accent is more British than colonial.

Also I checked out the official website and found this quote: If Evan had approached you in a bar and offered to buy you a drink
would you have accepted?
Would this be a bar on the show or a bar in real life? Could he afford to be buying people drinks in real life? I suppose I'd chat with him for a bit.

which would lead me to believe that she's aware of the scam. Of course, she could have been interviewed much later for this, but none of the other women give responses that indicate they know. Why does she?

sjc
01-14-2003, 06:16 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention, this quote is from Mary (http://www.fox.com/joem/).

And I checked his biography on the site (something I didn't think to do earlier) and found that he was indeed Australian.

jmizzou
01-14-2003, 06:37 PM
Also from http://www.fox.com/joem/ interviews:
Heidi - the golddigging whore
What drove you to television to look for love?
Nothing drove me to look for love on television. I was more intrigued by the idea of traveling to Europe than I was by finding love on a TV show! I have to admit that it was beneficial that the guy was put through psychological exams prior to being selected for the show, but I was in it for the experience not for love.

If Evan had approached you in a bar and offered to buy you a drink would you have accepted?
If Evan were to have approached me in a bar my boyfriend would more than likely have solved that wrinkle for me.

Do you get upset when you don’t get your way?
I don't get upset when I don't get my way. How insulting. I believe that phase of my life ended when I was two!!

Morbo
01-14-2003, 07:04 PM
Green Bean and gonzoron - I'm convinced he picked Mojo b/c of that damn Cowboy Hat she wore in the first episode. Although it was interesting that none of the other girls from the train made it.

Aside from that, my $.02:
I'm rooting in the exact opposite way as everyone else seems to be. I like Alison and Zora WAY too much to want them to win. I wanted deperately for Heidi to win it all - if you thought the look on her face was priceless last night, casn you imagine the look on her face after she found out it was all bullshit? I will be in physical pain if a super-nice girl like Zoya murmurs "but, you lied to me!"

MaddyStrut
01-14-2003, 07:22 PM
I only saw the last 1/2 hour, but it was worth it because I got to see the stable mucking! I can't believe those heels Dayana (sp?) wore! I laughed so hard at that I scared my dogs.

And Heidi was priceless as she burst into tears because her horse started grazing. Oh yeah Heidi, "Buttercup" sure looked like a fiery mount as he fell asleep! The "whatever" comment was so totally in character for her.

However, like Dooku, I can't quite get myself to pull for Allison or Zora. I like them too much to have them find out at the end that they've been lied to. I hope Mojo (she of the sparkly eye shadow) wins. I'd love to see her reaction!

tracer
01-14-2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by rogzilla
I did not expect to like the women on the show.
They did set them all up as being gold-diggers, that's for sure. Remember how, on the most recent episode, Melissa M. winked when Evan put that sapphire necklace on her? In earlier commercials for Joe Millionaire, they used that shot with a "ka-ching!" cash register sound effect that coincided with her wink.

monster
01-14-2003, 09:01 PM
I like Melissa, Zora and Allison. I'm hoping he chooses one, and when he fesses up, she exclaims that it doesn't matter!

Now who is living in a dream world?

Ruffian
01-14-2003, 09:33 PM
As a horse-y kinda girl, and never a prissy girl, I howled with devilish glee watching Princess D-girl scrunch up her nose and her FM boots on her half-dead mount.

Heidi freaking out because the horse wanted to graze--ohmigawd I about died. Oooh, scary! Horse put his head down to eat! Oh NO! WhatEVER could you do?!

Prissy, princessy girls shoveling coal, manure, and picking grapes.

God, this is great TV.

BTW...one of my coworkers is friends with...oh, crap whatshername...the Asian woman, the physician, who was culled last night. She actually seemed pretty cool, as do about half these women I think. Anywho, said woman is having weekly parties to watch the show. Even UberBitch Heidi attended. And yes, according to People Who Really Know Her, she's a [South Park]King Kong Mega Mega Bitch[/South Park]. She had to sign a contract threatening litigation should she say anything, so dangit...we can't get anything out of her.

Stoid
01-15-2003, 02:29 AM
I predict that Evan is NOT as broke as we're being relentlessly told. They are going to pull a double switcheroo. First tell the girl that he's broke, see how she takes it, then tell us all that he really did score something.

Because his act is just too much.

AchimbaProphet
01-15-2003, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by malaka
First of all, I think the whole show is bogus. Jerry Springer is fake, why can't this be?

I agree. I am very cynical now and I believe that anything labeled as 'reality TV' is automatically scripted. It is entertaining and this comes as a great shock to me. We all love a good train wreck I guess.

What would have made this show better would have been to break the news to the individual women who were departing so we could see their 'reaction'.

tracer
01-15-2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Ruffian
Even UberBitch Heidi attended. And yes, according to People Who Really Know Her, she's a [South Park]King Kong Mega Mega Bitch[/South Park].
I believe the line you're looking for is "King Kamehameha Bitch." (Of course, when Cartman sings it, it sure does sound like "King Kong mega-mega-bitch," doesn't it?)

B Williams
01-15-2003, 09:33 AM
WAY TO GO HEIDI~~~ Go OFF the show that is..The fact that she owned up to having a current relationship should have dis quailfied her in the first place,The very idea of this greedy witch grabbing 2 dresses and leaving the one girl with a piece of crap that didn't even fit!!!

Morbo
01-15-2003, 04:13 PM
The problem I had with the show from the beginning is that they TOTALLY effing copped out. Had they picked, say, Paul Hogan the Butler as the Millionaire, then they really would have had something. Did he have to be a freakin' swuimsuit model?

It's like they baited us into thinking we'll see gold diggers get their comeuppance, but instead he's a nice guy and they might really fall for him regardless.

I'm less of the opinion he really has money, simply b/c he modelled for that men's thong underwear magazine. Even if he were into that sort of thing, he would have been able to use his clout to get into a better publication.

DKW
01-15-2003, 04:32 PM
Okay...I had my reservations about Fox's latest spectacle at first, but after The Amazing Race became such a huge letdown so quickly (Flo winning, I don't mind. Flo winning due to sheer dumb luck and a Detour infraction that wasn't called, I mind.), well, need something to fill my TV quota for the week. So the big lie it is.

Missed the first ep, but will catch it on the repeat this Thursday (set your VCRs now!).

Thoughts thus far:

* I agree that Evan wasn't the best choice, but not for the reasons I've seen so far. His big problem, IMHO, is that he's actually taking this seriously...i.e., he really thinks he's going to start a great relationship with a woman who wasn't in it just for the money. This is a huge no-no. Aside from the fact that it's jumping the gun big time (you don't even know how she's going to react to the lie, for crying out loud), history has shown that strong relationships are neither begun nor benefitted by television. The proper menality is to play along, go with the flow, enjoy the wonderful vacation and the company with a host of women who wouldn't given a time of day otherwise (although with the likes of Heidi, definitely a mixed blessing), and when it's over, take what you get and get on with your life. The fact that he already has a clear idea of what he's getting out of this is troubling...he might end up more unhappy than anyone else at the end.

* Paul Hogan was a great choice for the butler, and, if anything, seems to be having a lot more fun with this than some of the "contestants". The parting blasts at the second-round cuttees was priceless.

* There should be more footage of the interactions between the ladies, if only to help solve the eternal mystery of whether women really do instinctively hate each other.

Finally, yes, it's bogus, but I think that's beside the point. In wrestling, the important distinction isn't whether it's real or not, because it's never real, but whether the action you're seeing is a "work" or a "shoot". In a work, every step is scripted from start to finish; in a shoot, while there's a general idea of how the match should end, how the guys in the ring actually get there is up to them.

From what I've seen, it's still solidly within the "shoot" category. About the only thing I could see worked was the first cut, but that was promptly taken care of in the second, so I don't have a beef. There can be only one! :)

handy
01-15-2003, 06:04 PM
Oh man, 7 more shows just to bring it down to those 10 seconds of seeing the womans' face as he informs him all he really does is construction......sigh sigh

tracer
01-15-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Dooku
The problem I had with the show from the beginning is that they TOTALLY effing copped out. Had they picked, say, Paul Hogan the Butler as the Millionaire, then they really would have had something. Did he have to be a freakin' swuimsuit model?
That wasn't a cop-out, that was a carefully engineered ratings ploy.

It's been pretty well established throughout the history of movies and TV that more people will want to watch moving images of good-looking people than will want to watch moving images of average-looking or downright ugly people. Every TV producer knows this. They know that with good-looking people up there on the small screen, more viewers will tune in simply to watch "the hottie." They know that with bad-looking people on the screen, more viewers will change the channel.

Joe Millionaire's target demographic is primarily female. If Evan had looked like the fat old butler, how many female viewers would have squirmed and said, "Ew! I can't watch this!" when the 20 women started trying to seduce him? With Evan looking like a swimsuit model, how many more women in the audience are tuning in because "Well, sure, he's dirt-poor, but at least he's easy on the eyes!"?

Morbo
01-15-2003, 08:00 PM
Yeah, I know, I know...but I still think as an experiment it would have been much better the other way.

DKW
01-17-2003, 05:03 PM
Saw the encore presentation.

Ehh...still think poor Evan's going at it all wrong, and I can almost guarantee that this will not end well for him. (Just once I'd like to see a reality show that didn't end in frustration/grief/exasperation for someone.)

Not sure what to make of the "big slip" hinted at in the promos. Knowing reality programmers' penchant for exaggeration, my guess is that whoever he tells it to either keeps it under her hat, or else he claims to have lied about the truth, thus keeping the real lie secure. Or something. What the hell, one thing I've learned is that, no matter what, it never stops before the bitter end, so this'll be interesting to see.

tracer
01-17-2003, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by DKW
(Just once I'd like to see a reality show that didn't end in frustration/grief/exasperation for someone.)
The last couple in the final episode of Bachelorettes in Alaska looked like they were going to live Happily Ever After [TM].

Not sure what to make of the "big slip" hinted at in the promos. Knowing reality programmers' penchant for exaggeration, my guess is that whoever he tells it to either keeps it under her hat, or else he claims to have lied about the truth, thus keeping the real lie secure.
Knowing reality programmers' penchant for exaggeration, my guess is that the "big slip" has nothing to do with the fact that Evan isn't rich. It's probably something stupid like "Woops, I used my real last name there instead of the fake one I've been using," or "Woops, I let slip that I haven't really been riding horses for all of these last 2 years." :rolleyes:

Marine_One
01-17-2003, 07:43 PM
From Sports Illustrated - January 20

We also checked the sports credentials of Evan Marriott, the star of the Fox hit Joe Millionaire and found his penchant for duplicity runs deep.
In 2001 Marriott, now 28, studied briefly at Ultimate University, a California school for pro wrestlers, where his nom de guerre was Duke Suede.

OpalCat
01-20-2003, 08:48 PM
Three weeks ago I was driving a bulldozer...

dur hur dur hur...

Captain Lance Murdoch
01-20-2003, 09:00 PM
I loved the painting (actualy it looked like a pastel drawing). Ooh la la!!

wolfman
01-20-2003, 09:06 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how you could make only 19,000 a year being a heavy equipment operator. Trash picking up construction jobs make more than 19, that dude has to make 60 at least.

peepthis
01-20-2003, 09:16 PM
I read an interview with him in which he answered this question, saying that last year he made $19,000. But this was because he was out of work for most of the year, due to the poor post-9/11 economy he said (and hence is why he needed the money from Fox to do the show). Go ask at the Pasadena Union Hall, he claimed, who would vouch he's in construction. He concluded by saying his hourly salary is about $29.50.

Menocchio
01-20-2003, 11:06 PM
Ugly-Ass Hat
Ugly-Ass Painting
Stupid Mojo.
Stupid, kinda lecherous, Evan.

Poor Zora. Poor Allison.

No Verbs.

yosemite
01-21-2003, 12:26 AM
Yes, a bad painting. (I'm a portrait artist, BTW, so I can be quite picky.) You can't really get a good likeness from just one source photo, and it's also hard to get a good likeness without having met the model. (Though of course some artists pull it off.) This street artist didn't. Yikes. Ugly and unflattering. Bad art.

Dumb hat on Mojo. Adios Mojo.

I was all astonishment that Zora's still around. She seemed astonished too! And I guess Allison is the red-haired girl? (See how detail-oriented I am?) She seemed really bummed out.

Tangent
01-21-2003, 12:55 AM
I'm glad Zora's still around--thank god Allison did herself in. But Z's gonna have to get her act together to survive the next round. Melissa M. and the blonde girl (not Mojo) seem to have the inside track thus far.

I think Mojo needs a spanking!

:D

Ian G.
01-21-2003, 01:30 AM
I think they should show the girl who just got booted being told who he really it. Rather that just getting to see one girl in the end. That is all I wanna see anyway.

Walloon
01-21-2003, 01:48 AM
Nobody on the show seems to have a clue on holding an intelligent conversation. I expected the women on this show to be shallow, given the premise. But that Joe Millionaire himself is quite a bimbo.

OpalCat
01-21-2003, 07:12 AM
The portrait sucked ass. (And as an artist I can say that, too) The hat was lame as hell.

Did anyone else noticed that during the tango lesson, they rarely showed full-body shots? I think they were trying to hide how bad they both sucked :)

RickJay
01-21-2003, 09:17 AM
Given the heavy editing, I don't really think we have any idea how the dates actually went. The Zora date was edited to look like it went terribly, but for all we know the 99% of the date and followup interviews we DIDN'T see went smashingly well. Maybe they ended up necking in the back of the limousine. Heck, maybe they ended up having wild monkey sex. I've had dates where the conversation was disastrous at some point but things recovered later.

Mrs. RickJay has an interesting theory; he's already picked the curly-haired chicky. Her theory is based on the fact that he took her to the Eiffel Tower; according to her, "If you go to Paris for romance, that's the one thing you always do, and he picked her for the One Big Thing, so it's her."

SmackFu
01-21-2003, 09:23 AM
This show is hysterical. I love the editors. Last week with Heidi and her bread French, this week with Mojo and her hideous hat.

Judith Prietht
01-21-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by RickJay
Mrs. RickJay has an interesting theory; he's already picked the curly-haired chicky. Her theory is based on the fact that he took her to the Eiffel Tower; according to her, "If you go to Paris for romance, that's the one thing you always do, and he picked her for the One Big Thing, so it's her."
Interesting theory. What might Mojo's date to the Moulin Rouge mean? I just think it's too bad they had such crappy weather in Paris; that city looks pretty dismal. I really liked the riverboat date, particularly for Evan's violent reactions to the food.

And I think you have a point, Walloon, about no one being able to hold a conversation. I think most of the ladies are trying, but he's also not giving them a damn thing to work with in the interest of keeping up the ruse. The dates come off as interrogations, and not just interviews (which in my opinion any date is, really). I also got the feeling that Zora so completely freaked out because she didn't want to discuss any personal or painful family history in front of cameras. I don't think I've ever seen anyone shut down so fast.

gonzoron
01-21-2003, 10:24 AM
Poor Zora! She was as surprised as I was that she didn't get the boot. I'm betting she's next though, based on the "no chemistry" comment in next week's preview. I know the editing can do a lot, but she herself said she thought the date went poorly.

I've officially jumped ship on Melissa M. Smoking's a bit turn off for me, and even if the picture was hideous, I don't think she should've raved about it to him and then snarked about it later. Maybe it was just to be nice, but it's the second case of "acting nice" from her (see the grape incident last week) and I'm beginning to think she's just acting the whole time.

Zora seems a lot more geniune, but unfortunately a fish out of water around all that money and the cameras. (tragically, so is Evan, (at least about the money, not the cameras) so it's a good match but they don't know it.)

I missed the Mojo date because my parents called. I'll have to watch the tape tonight. This "hat" sounds hilarious, especially since I hate Mojo.

Sara didn't seem to have a personalilty in the previous shows. It really started to come out this time, and I'm glad to see we've got a new golddigger to root against. ;)

Man... I love this awful show.

a35362
01-21-2003, 10:52 AM
Oh, I'm rooting for Zora. She seems like such a nice, down-to-earth girl. I keep waiting for her to say something about not being comfortable with the prospect of having a lot of money, something like, "I really don't want to live in a castle in France...I want to go home, where all my family and friends are."

Melissa (?), the girl with dark, curly hair was my runner up - but now I think she's acting like a princess. I felt bad for Alison. I think Evan only picked her because he had to pick somebody and he got her to say that she felt they had no chemistry. Immediately after that, of course, they both relaxed and had a nice time!

And the girls all seem to be getting along quite well, compared to the first two episodes. They seem to wish each other well, and to genuinely regret when someone gets the boot. Even their remarks about Mojo's relative unsophistication weren't unkind: more like, "C'mon, girl, get it together and don't blow it!"

Evan seems like such a genuinely nice guy, kind and attentive to each of the girls, and fairly articulate. They keep playing up the "ordinary guy" stuff, and I expect him to use bad grammar or something, but he's been doing a good job of explaining his feelings about the girls and their dates. He's such a good sport about all of this; he seems very cooperative with the whole premise. Fox must be very pleased with him. I just can't tell if he really has feelings for any of the girls yet.

Gundy
01-21-2003, 11:20 AM
Last night's was the first episode of this I've watched. Zora seems okay, Allison I truly liked, and the other three are horrid. The only redeeming thing I heard from Evan was his comment on the "Parisian mullet" -- other than that, he seemed like such a personality-less goober.

Despite all that...I'll watch it again.

OpalCat
01-21-2003, 11:56 AM
Oh!! I almost forgot about the mullet! That was the highlight of the show!

tracer
01-21-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by RickJay
Ah, but remember, the Eiffel Tower wasn't Evan's idea, it was Melissa M.'s. "Where do you want to go?" Evan asked, and Melissa pointed right at the Eiffel Tower. Did he "pick" her, or the other way around?

Edward The Head
01-21-2003, 02:30 PM
What a show. I can't believe I am watching it, let along saying something about it! I think he's gonna get down to Zora and Melissa, is Zora can say something. I think he'd do better in the long run with Zora, but if he can't he can send her my way, I don't have much money but they always need subs around here and I will own a house in a week so she's got a place to live! :D

JSexton
01-21-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by tracer
Ah, but remember, the Eiffel Tower wasn't Evan's idea, it was Melissa M.'s. "Where do you want to go?" Evan asked, and Melissa pointed right at the Eiffel Tower. Did he "pick" her, or the other way around?

Well, he walked her out to an empty parking lot, and asked her if she saw anything she liked. The only thing around that could be seen was the Eiffel Tower, so I think it's pretty obvious what he was hinting at. She also said that she had mentioned earlier (on-camera) that she really wanted to see the tower.

I'm sure there's a legion of assistants poring over hours of tape, trying to figure out what ech girl might be interested in. Contrary to what Evan sort of implies, I don't thing he has a thing to do with picking out presents or selecting locations for the dates.

I think the reason for his reticence in small talk is that he knows what a lousy liar he is, and doesn't want to slip up any more than he already has. There's a clear change in his mannerisms from when he's reacting to what a girl says, and when he has to start remembering his cover story. I'd love to play poker with him. His $19,000 would be mine. :)

--
Justin

Turek
01-21-2003, 02:55 PM
I'm rooting big-time for Zora. She definitely seems the most genuine of the lot (I thought that from the very first, when she was shackled temporarily with the dress that didn't fit). I'm actually attracted to the fact that all the hoopla, cameras and stuff are making her uncomfortable. She's still the one that seems most like a human being, with Melissa coming in second.

OpalCat
01-21-2003, 03:09 PM
Melissa M. started out as one that I liked, but she's getting more... bitchy. I dunno... all of her falseness, I guess. Pretending she likes things she doesn't, talking behind his back, etc.

yosemite
01-22-2003, 02:10 PM
I liked Melissa the best at first, now I am not so sure. She seems OK, but... Zora (like others have pointed out) has effectively disqualified herself as a gold-digger. I like her.

Morbo
01-22-2003, 03:25 PM
After the last episode, I honestly see him with MoJo - they are both clearly out of their element. I think I started to root for MoJo after all the other girls told her that hat looked great on her, when it clearly didn't, but she didn't give a shit and had a great time anyway.

Sarah could not handle his poor lifestyle, and I think he knows it.

I especially didn't like the way Melissa told him the painting was great and then ripped it up when they were away. If she had started laughing and said "This painting is terrible!" I think she would have come across better. Still, I think she will be one of the two left.

Allison - so what if they relaxed after their conversation? She told him she didn't see them together. I thought it was strange that she acted all upset about it, after she told him that. And I also don't see her as Mrs. Construction Worker.

I think Zora has convinced herself that she does not like this guy and doesn't want to be there. I respect her the most for not mugging for the cameras. Good for her.

As for the rest of the show, I think it's all in the editing. We really don't know what goes on during the dates. I read recently that Aaron, the last Bachelor guy, said that it was clear early on that Helene and he had something going on, but they edited it to make it seem less clear who he really liked.

Guinastasia
01-22-2003, 10:25 PM
I haven't watched the show yet, but I'm looking at the website now.

All I have to say is, if Heidi is 24, then I'm Marie of Roumania.

Diogenes the Cynic
01-27-2003, 09:12 PM
[bimbo voice]What I'd really like to do is, like, go to a third world country and, like, bathe their babies and give shots and stuff...that's just who I am.[/bimbo voice]
Christ, even Heidi-ho never said anything that obnoxious.

That other girl really screwed herself with that stupid check for a million dollars.

How about the catty, phony sympathy from the ones who got a ruby. "Oh, this is so hard, I feel so bad." Eff you ya stinkin' whores! You can barely contain your glee.

Damn, it's going to be funny when they find out this dude is broke as a jug.

Smeghead
01-27-2003, 10:10 PM
Whoever edits this show has a great sense of humor. Very well done. I liked the "Disney movie" montage. And then in the hot tub - some girl: "Some people were really trying to impress him". Cut to a shot of the one with the really big boobs in the REALLY small bikini raising her arms and stretching. Ha ha.

Oh, and of course the off camera make out session. Those subtitles were hysterical! "Mwah." "Slurp."

David B
01-27-2003, 10:15 PM
Diogenes said:
That other girl really screwed herself with that stupid check for a million dollars.
I disagree. I think Evan completely misunderstood that. She wrote that check to herself because it was an inspiration to herself to work for that kind of money -- not to marry into it.

Smeghead said:
Whoever edits this show has a great sense of humor.
I agree completely. I was laughing out loud at the same parts you mentioned.

Walloon
01-27-2003, 11:02 PM
She should have considered the possibility that Evan would infer that she might just as well be hoping to marry into that million dollars as earn it for herself. That was just stupid of her.

Evan, by his conversation with her at that moment, had heard of how Jim Carrey wrote a similar check to himself when he was starting out in show business, as an incentive to become that successful. So Evan wasn't ignorant of the meaning of the check. But he was also aware that his alleged wealth might have had something to do with that check.

Diogenes the Cynic
01-27-2003, 11:07 PM
What was she going to do that would earn her a million dollars? She clearly had no brains or talent. I don't know what she did for a living, but this girl has very little chance of "earning" a million bucks by any other means than to marry it.

Zazie
01-28-2003, 09:09 AM
The show was very funny last night with the moments Smeghead mentionned!
The more it goes the more I can't stand Melissa. What an idiot....

Of course, Zora is still a sweetie, but she's got to relax a bit or she won't last too long...

ASD
01-29-2003, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Diogenes the Cynic
[bimbo voice]What I'd really like to do is, like, go to a third world country and, like, bathe their babies and give shots and stuff...that's just who I am.[/bimbo voice]
Christ, even Heidi-ho never said anything that obnoxious.

The best part was she then said:
"I'm a mercenary" or something to that effect. One assumes she meant missionary, but we were rolling on the floor laughing.

OpalCat
01-29-2003, 08:23 PM
Oh god I forgot about the "mercenary" line. We were squealing with glee over here.

Ruffian
01-29-2003, 08:23 PM
You that Melissa. She just isn't very domesticated.

:D

Ruffian
01-29-2003, 08:24 PM
And you know that Melissa, too.

Crap. :rolleyes:

Morbo
01-29-2003, 08:24 PM
The best part of the show so far was the puzzle. As I mentioned on Fathom, who here took one look at that and said "I choo choo choose you!"

That was the end of her. Too bad, b/c I think they would actually get along after the deception.

And of course, in case you haven't heard, Sarah is a former star of bondage (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030129/ap_on_en_tv/tv_millionaire_fetish_1) movies.

OpalCat
01-29-2003, 08:38 PM
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/kozer1.html <--pics :D

Morbo
01-29-2003, 08:49 PM
And after seeing those pics, that movie looks about as sexy as Pillow Talk.

Menocchio
01-30-2003, 11:36 PM
They even tied her toes together. That's adorable.

OpalCat
01-31-2003, 12:09 AM
the toes thing was the best part, wasn't it??

tracer
01-31-2003, 12:41 AM
Hmmm ... I notice a link on that thesmokinggun.com webpage that points to a picture of Evan wearing nothing but speedo briefs....

Walloon
01-31-2003, 01:34 AM
Evan modeled California Muscle briefs, not Speedo.

blowero
01-31-2003, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by Dooku
And of course, in case you haven't heard, Sarah is a former star of bondage (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030129/ap_on_en_tv/tv_millionaire_fetish_1) movies. [/B]
Well, if he marries Sarah, it could be a very interesting honeymoon.;)

Slacker
01-31-2003, 12:38 PM
So the question is - was she just doing it for the money, or is she into the kinky bondage stuff?

Either way :eek: (slurp, gulp)

Captain Lance Murdoch
01-31-2003, 01:49 PM
What if Sarah "wins" and acts outraged when she learns Evan's secret?

This show is such a guilty pleasure.

David B
02-01-2003, 08:00 PM
That was my thought -- especially after Melissa said something to her about how Sarah had done things she said she wouldn't do on TV. Wouldn't do?! Jeez...

tracer
02-01-2003, 10:39 PM
:eek: (slurp, gulp)
Don't get your hopes up too much for what those sound effects represented. Second Base sounds pretty much the same as Third Base does. ;)

OpalCat
02-02-2003, 12:46 AM
I took them for kissing sounds... what did you take them for?

tracer
02-02-2003, 01:28 AM
I, too, took them for kissing sounds. The question being, what was being kissed? ;)

gonzoron
02-03-2003, 10:26 AM
Latest bizarre JoeM news: According to IMDB and AICN, Evan has recently read for the part of Superman

Weird.... I can actually kinda see him as Supes, but not as Clark. But then again, we all know how great he is at acting like someone else. "And to think, Lois, here I am, a superhero, and 3 weeks ago I was driving a bulldozer... er I mean, writing for the newspaper." :)

David B
02-03-2003, 04:49 PM
tracer said:
The question being, what was being kissed?
The Chicago Tribune had an article that claimed it was the first sex act on network television -- though heard and not seen. So they seem to think it was more than a kiss.

Personally, I just think it was some making out, and Fox WANTS us to think otherwise.

Caesar's Ghost
02-03-2003, 05:38 PM
IMHO it was just making out, with Fox's little editorial comments, I guess :P

OpalCat
02-03-2003, 08:18 PM
Melissa's not a first move kind of girl.

*splort*

OpalCat
02-03-2003, 08:48 PM
"I just need to see something. Don't take your pants off yet." - Sarah

Dewey Cheatem Undhow
02-03-2003, 09:09 PM
"No, that's ravioli" - Sarah

OpalCat
02-03-2003, 09:18 PM
the ho-bag got the bag! woohoo!

LolaCocaCola
02-03-2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by OpalCat
the ho-bag got the bag! woohoo!

It would've been better if she won and then to see her expression when she found out her prince is really a pauper!

hee!

twickster
02-03-2003, 09:23 PM
"Extraneously intellectual"!?!?!?!?!?!

Green Bean
02-03-2003, 09:30 PM
"And then the sun setted."

Menocchio
02-03-2003, 09:32 PM
"The Sun Setted"

Heh.

You all know Zora will win, right? Sarah's being set up as such a tramp and a bitch, there's no way we can go for her. It would be much too awful.

Maybe they won't give us the happy ending. I'll respect them more if they don't.

It's obvious that the producers are just using poor Evan. He's just a big manchild/underwear model.

OpalCat
02-03-2003, 09:36 PM
Ok, so how many times and with how many girls has Evan had sex at this point? [on the show]

twickster
02-03-2003, 09:45 PM
Twice, both times with Sarah. (I wonder if she kept her toes tied together?)

OpalCat
02-03-2003, 09:51 PM
I dunno, he and Melissa were smooching a lot, snuggling a lot, she was all over him, and he took her to the bedroom...

Walloon
02-03-2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by LolaCocaCola
It would've been better if she won and then to see her expression when she found out her prince is really a pauper!

Oh, the producers are a step ahead of you! All seventeen of the women will be brought back for the moment of revelation when they learn Joe Millionaire is really Joe Thousandaire.

David B
02-03-2003, 10:11 PM
I suspect none of them has actually had sex with him. Yes, the producers want us to think they have. But considering his guilt and his comment that he never has lied to get a woman into bed, I don't think he's taken any of them to bed.

The Controvert
02-03-2003, 11:15 PM
I thought it was hilarious how Evan kept staring at Melissa's cleavage, then later, Melissa was staring at Evan's crotch. From three inches away, even. :)

Walloon
02-03-2003, 11:34 PM
Classic quote from Feb. 3 episode came, once again, from "Mercenary" Melissa, who thought this was a compliment when she spoke it to Evan: "You're an average person . . . You don't have a lot on your mind."

Caesar's Ghost
02-03-2003, 11:35 PM
I don't think Zora really had that dream. She has suspicions, and made it up to see how Evan would react.

I agree...Zora will win...

ooh the looks on everyone's faces is gonna be funny!

OpalCat
02-03-2003, 11:38 PM
So will next week's episode be the last one, or will they have one more where he explains it?

pepperlandgirl
02-04-2003, 12:28 AM
Classic quote from Feb. 3 episode came, once again, from "Mercenary" Melissa, who thought this was a compliment when she spoke it to Evan: "You're an average person . . . You don't have a lot on your mind."

His response is even better..."I tried to listen toher, but I was distracted..."

hajario
02-04-2003, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by OpalCat
So will next week's episode be the last one, or will they have one more where he explains it?

Mrs. H told me that the final episode will be shown in two weeks and will be two hours long.

Haj

Turek
02-04-2003, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Walloon

I liked it even more when she was talking about how they were sitting on the beach, "and then the sun setted."

And Zora's too good for him.

KidCharlemagne
02-04-2003, 08:13 AM
Does anyone doubt that FOX is gonna give Evan a million bucks at the end of the show, after the reveal?

Zazie
02-04-2003, 08:37 AM
We don't know, a lot of people think that it could happen, as far as I know, it's just rumors, Kid.

The show was horrible! It really is getting pretty bad, only Zora is here to save those poor girls.
I can't believe I used to say Melissa was "nice" at first, argghh.... what an idiot she is. Glad she's gone.

Judith Prietht
02-04-2003, 09:48 AM
I think Sarah's going to win. She's given Evan the most incentive to pick her (slurp) and doesn't creep him out by telling him her dreams (real or not). Sarah's given him the most positive physical indications she likes him, but in her interviews she's all about the money. I liked how Zora busted him on checking out the bulldozers at the construction site in Corsica (which is the date I personally would have loved to go on).

Evan is embarrassing to watch. I cringe every time he pops the cork off a champagne bottle. Did he hear somewhere along the way that it was classy to launch the cork into the stratosphere? The editors are wearing out that glass-shatter sound effect, though. Those folks drink a lot.

DKW
02-04-2003, 10:29 AM
Eh. Considering that Mr. Mariott never really considered the implications of what he was doing, never mind keeping it up for that long, I'm inclined to cut him some slack. And he may be a dope, but at least he has common sense, which is more than I can say for some reality TV characters.

I really think that this show needs to pace itself better...good lord, FIVE commercial breaks, and hardly anything at all happening for the last 15 minutes (incl. commercials)? Besides that, eliminating 75% of the field in the first two episodes strikes me as a bad idea, all but ensuring that they'd have to stretch and pad and fill in the homestretch...just when things are supposed to be getting exciting.

Anyway. I'm pretty sure Sarah's going to win, simply because she seems more confident and has a better grasp of what she has to do than Zora (who is perfectly decent but unfortunately just a bit out of place here). Given my current track record with predictions on the SDMB, though, I strongly advise not putting money on it or anything.

Oh, and it's pretty obvious that Ethan doesn't have some secret stash of wealth, so any "prize" is going to have to come from Fox itself. Which I'm still not ruling out.

Gangster Octopus
02-04-2003, 10:43 AM
Zora is too good for him? I guess everything is relative, when compared to the other girls, probably, but I really don't think she is too good for Evan.

In terms of looks I actuallly liked Melissa, but that is about all she had going for her.

handy
02-04-2003, 11:00 AM
I wonder why they show is called Joe Milliionaire, when his name is Evan?

gonzoron
02-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Yay! Melissa's finally gone! (Like Carine I don't know what I saw in her the first few episodes)

Not much suspense, though. I mean she was sitting there putting the moves on him for so long and he barely reacted. "Little sister" indeed.

I definately don't think he's had "sex" (i.e. intercourse) with any of them. Maybe Sara this episode... maybe. And maybe some oral... maybe. But I think it's a mostly lot of wishful thinking and very clever editing.

I'm really torn. I don't know which way to prdeict now. I'm rooting for Zora, but I think it will come down to which organ Evan makes his decision with. I think Zora's got a much better chance of not flipping out after the big reveal, though.

The cork shtick makes me laugh eery time. EVERY time. It's just too funny.

All this time when they showed the "I'm living the biggest lie of my life and it's tearing me up inside" clip, I thought he was talking to Paul, the butler, not a producer. I didn't realize until recently that not even Paul knew the secret beforehand. (although he says he suspected)

Also, I could've sworn he said "I'm really falling for this girl" in the prvious times we saw that clip and "these girls" this time. Can anyone confirm?

Evan's a big goof, but a lovable goof. Did you see him try to get into the wrogn side of the car, with Zora? funny stuff, yo.

Walloon
02-04-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by gonzoron
Yay! Melissa's finally gone! (Like CarineI definately don't think he's had "sex" (i.e. intercourse) with any of them. Maybe Sara this episode... maybe. And maybe some oral... maybe. Oral sex is sexual intercourse ("physical sexual contact between individuals that involves the genitalia of at least one person"). The word you're probably looking for is "coitus" ("physical union of male and female genitalia").

Zazie
02-04-2003, 11:44 AM
gonzoron YES! I thought I was going crazy!
You are right, the previews for last night episode had him say "I am really falling for this girl" but last night he actually said "I really like these girls"...
Fox bastards!
I think he had sex with Melissa, and I find it very funny he dumped her after it, hehe... I am so evil...

OpalCat
02-04-2003, 12:05 PM
The sound byte of him saying that stuff and him saying it to the producers is different. They obviously had him re-say it so they could play it. The inflection is a little different, too.

gonzoron
02-04-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Walloon
Oral sex is sexual intercourse ("physical sexual contact between individuals that involves the genitalia of at least one person"). The word you're probably looking for is "coitus" ("physical union of male and female genitalia").

sigh... I knew someone would correct me, no matter how well I tried to phrase it. Depends on your dictionary. From dictionary.com:

intercourse

n 1: communication between individuals [syn: social intercourse] 2: the act of sexual procreation between a man and a woman; the man's penis is inserted into the woman's vagina and excited until orgasm and ejaculation occur [syn: sexual intercourse, sex act, copulation, coitus, coition, sexual congress, congress, sexual relation, relation, carnal knowledge]

Source: WordNet ® 1.6, © 1997 Princeton University

I thought we learned from the Clinton debacle that Oral Sex is Sex, but it's not intercourse. (which is why I put "sex" in quotes)
Whatever, I think it was clear what I meant. But fine, if you prefer: coitus, coitus, coitus...

Zazie
02-04-2003, 12:47 PM
WHAT?! intercourse is "the man's penis is inserted into the woman's vagina and excited until orgasm and ejaculation occur"
This is funny it actually says "until orgasm occurs"!

Sorry for the highjack couldn't help it!

Green Bean
02-04-2003, 01:15 PM
Oh wow! I actually had a dream about Joe Millionaire last night.

It was the final round, and he chose his "winner." (Zora) I was one of the ones who had been eliminated earlier. I went up to him and said "I never had a Joe Millionaire kiss!" He remedied that situation. Hoo boy, did he remedy it! :embarrassed: Zoinks. How mortifying.

IMHO, if he had COITUS with anyone, it was Sarah, and probably not even with her. He seems to be relatively gentlemanly with regard to the sexual stuff. That's kind of a relief. He's a doofus, but I'm not sure that he's a bad guy. He hasn't done much that is truly jerky. The exception would be the hot tub thing with Zora, but he claims that he actually got out with her, and the just edited it to look like he stayed. I dunno. And he does make me laugh with his doofy comments. "Say, did you get that breast in Paris?"

Opal: Get thineself over to Television Without Pity post-haste. All of your questions will be answered, and your appetite for snark will be well satisfied.

a35362
02-04-2003, 01:19 PM
gonzoron, how do you know Paul didn't know the secret? I haven't heard that before.

James Lileks' Backfence column mentioned the show the other day.

The whole sequence with Evan's long dark night of the soul was great. I loved the grainy footage. Dramatic but hilarious, too.

I thought Zora's noticing Evan's noticing the bulldozer was sweet. His gaffe about her breast...um, er, dress was hilarious, too. I'm assuming her dream was real. If Evan goes with Sarah in the end, it's because Zora's freaking him out with guilt.

I like Sarah but she's a bit cynical. I don't know how much she really likes Evan, or what she thinks of him generally, but she seems to be using her body to win. Even if she finds him attractive, it's kind of distasteful. If Evan goes with Zora in the end, it's because he thinks Sarah's enjoying the fancy food and hotels too much.

gonzoron
02-04-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by a35362
gonzoron, how do you know Paul didn't know the secret? I haven't heard that before.

from
http://www.etonline.com/television/a14150.htm

He acted just like a construction worker who had inherited $50 million," the butler confides. "I didn't have any reason to question what was happening."

But after thinking about it for a moment, he adds, "When we were in Paris one day and Evan was flicking through a magazine, he showed me this $350,000 Mercedes and started drooling a little bit. He said, 'Look at that. I wish I could have one of those.' I said, 'Well, why don't you buy one?' He looked at me as if I had horns in my head. When he did that, I wondered."

Interesting, eh?

Captain Lance Murdoch
02-04-2003, 03:21 PM
What about the "up-skirt" shot with Melissa? This show just wallows in it.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.