PDA

View Full Version : Ctrl key has a one second delay

GuanoLad
03-06-2003, 05:12 PM
You know, there should probably be a whole separate area just for computer and internet related questions.

Anyways, I have a new computer, with WinXP Pro on it. It uses the same mouse, keyboard, and monitor using a KVM switch as my other XP Home machine.

The XP Home works fine, and the keys on the keyboard do exactly what they should. But the XP Pro has a delay set in for the Ctrl key - it won't do it's thing until after it's held down for one second. It's incredibly frustrating, and I have no idea why it's doing this - can anybody help with any suggestions?

I've checked the keyboard and accessibility options in the Control Panel but they aren't to blame.

Thanks if you have a clue.

Lobsang
03-06-2003, 06:20 PM
You know, there should probably be a whole separate area just for computer and internet related questions.

I would agree strongly with that, but I expect the mods will say it would un-generalize the boards.

At my work, the windows 2000 system has a 10 second delay on the context menus (right mouse button)

filmore
03-06-2003, 08:07 PM
Some KVM switches let you switch between the computers by hitting ctrl twice. It could be that your KVM switch is waiting a second to see if you'll hit another ctrl. I had a KVM switch and it did the exact same thing. But mine was consistent no matter which computer I was using. Try bypassing the KVM and see if the problem still happens.

GuanoLad
03-06-2003, 08:22 PM
Filmore, you are a genius! That was exactly the problem. It was my left Ctrl key, so I changed the hotkey to the right one, which I never use. Excellent!

Thanks!

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.