PDA

View Full Version : Ironic Covers

Raygun99
03-28-2003, 04:55 PM
I had an idea to make a mix CD of unlikely and ironic cover songs, where the artist was either mocking or making a statement about the original tune (ie Fountains of Wayne or Travis doing Baby One More Time) or ones where you're not quite sure they understood what the song was really about (ie t.a.t.u and How Soon Is Now?).

One catch is that I have to actually like the result so stuff like Madonna's American Pie and Lenny Kravitz's American Woman are out. Anyone know any others that I could consider?

Fiat Lux
03-28-2003, 04:58 PM
I've often wondered if the cover They Might be Giants did of 'New York City' is mildly tongue-in-cheek. Compared to the usual surreal, geekily intellectual TMBG lyrics, that song seems somewhat... inane (great rock beat, though).

Avalonian
03-28-2003, 05:21 PM
Tori Amos' cover of "Smells Like Teem Spirit" always struck me as quite a strong ironic statement about the original Nirvana version. Her performance of it is almost a polar opposite of the original one.

Avalonian
03-28-2003, 05:23 PM
Teen Spirit, of course. :smack:

Avalonian
03-28-2003, 05:24 PM
Almost forgot, Prince's cover of Sheryl Crow's "Everyday is a Winding Road" seems like pretty masterful irony to me too.

Beadalin
03-28-2003, 05:39 PM
This may not fit your criteria, but Britney Spears covering "I Love Rock 'n' Roll" was pretty ironic.

nitroglycerine
03-28-2003, 05:43 PM
The Meatmen do an awesome cover of How Soon Is Now, which is suprisingly straightforward considering they have a song called "Morrisey Must Die".

Jon

Cat Fight
03-28-2003, 05:46 PM
Tori Amos' "Strange Little Girls" album is made up of ironic covers, including Eminem's "'97 Bonnie and Clyde" (which is about him killing his wife and dumping the body, toddler in tow).

Payton's Servant
03-28-2003, 05:50 PM
Well, there is The Lemonheads AssHat version of Mrs. Robinson.

twickster
03-28-2003, 06:12 PM
Lou Reed did a truly wonderful version of "September Song."

No Me Ayudes Compadre
03-28-2003, 06:26 PM
There's a certain irony in the Pat Boone cover of Little Richard's "Tutti Frutti". Or maybe there's not, which would make it even more ironic.

And Harry Belafonte's Hava Nagila has a certain odd quality... "Oy vey, da bananaman is hockin me chonic."

Robbie Williams and Nicole Kidman sing something stupid, entitled "Something Stupid".

Little Nemo
03-28-2003, 06:31 PM
Anyone who loves strange covers needs to hear "When Pigs Fly"; Unforgettable by Ani DiFranco and Jackie Chan, Ohio by Devo, Shock the Monkey by Don Ho, These Boots Are Made For Walkin' by The Fixx, White Wedding by Herman's Hermits, Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap by Lesley Gore, and more.

Raygun99
03-28-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Little Nemo
Anyone who loves strange covers needs to hear "When Pigs Fly"; Unforgettable by Ani DiFranco and Jackie Chan, Ohio by Devo, Shock the Monkey by Don Ho, These Boots Are Made For Walkin' by The Fixx, White Wedding by Herman's Hermits, Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap by Lesley Gore, and more.

Thanks for reminding me of this album! I'd heard of it but had apparently purged it from my memory. The Ani/Jackie think blows my mind.

lissener
03-28-2003, 08:33 PM
The Flaming Lips have done a brilliantly morose cover of Kylie Minogues "Cant Get You Outta My Head," and somebody else did a slow, dark cover of Cher's "Believe."

Tom Jones and Ruby's Leslie Rankin did a GREAT cover of "Kung Fu Fighting."

Holly Cole has done several: she makes "Que Sera Sera" sound like it's about teen suicide without changing the lyrics at all; does the same thing with Tom Waits's "I Don't Wanna Grow Up."

Some Punk band did a great hardcore cover of "The Boys of Summer."

Johnny Cash's recent cover of Nine Inch Nails' "Hurt" is a masterpiece.

One of the best EVER is Mrs. Fun's HYlarious cover of "Stand By Your Man." They're a lesbian duo, and the dry disappointment they display when they spit out the phrase "'Cause after all, he's just a man" is one of the greatest moments in recorded music. Lyle Lovett's cover is good to: by not changing the lyrics, he sounds like he's justifying the title's man's mysogyny, rather than, as in the original by Tammy Wynette, pledging to support her flawed man.

Phranc, the lesbian folksinger, does a hilariously military-marchy "I Enjoy Being a Girl."

There's a brand new, BRILLIANT !r!e!g!g!a!e! cover of Pink Floyd's album The Dark Side of the Moon--yes, the whole ALBUM--by the Easy Star All Stars, entitled Dub Side of the Moon.

Way more, gotta catch my bus.

vl_mungo
03-28-2003, 09:22 PM
Have You Never Been Mellow? - the Feederz
Ain't Talking 'Bout Love - The Minutemen
My Way - Sid Viscous
I Know An Old Lady - Flipper
Ballad of the Green Beret - The F.U.'s

Tuckerfan
03-28-2003, 09:49 PM
Marilyn Manson did a kick ass cover of The Eurythm!cs Sweet Dreams.

The Butthole Surfers did a highly entertaining cover of The Guess Who's American Woman.

You might also want to check into the Golden Throats (http://www.rhino.com/store/ProductDetail.lasso?Number=70187) CDs, though I have to warn you that some of the songs are unlistenable.

RawkStah
03-28-2003, 10:39 PM
IIRC, Mojo Nixon and Skid Roper did a version of "Stairway to Heaven" using a kazoo and bongos...

Something about every Dread Zeppelin song works. The one that pops into my head right now is "Nobody's Fault (Butt Mon)"

The stuff off of Pat Boone's "No More Mr. Nice Guy" album is strangely good: Ronnie James Dio's "Holy Diver", Ozzy Osbourne's "Crazy Train"

Faith No More's covers were excellent, in that they were done completely straight. Mike Patton has the best voice in rocknroll today, period. Check out their covers of The Bee Gees "I Started A Joke", The Commodores' "Easy" and Herb Alpert's "This Guy's In Love With You" (my friend's first-dance-as-husband-and-wife song).

Lamia
03-28-2003, 11:16 PM
Veruca Salt's "My Sharona" and the Violent Femmes' "My Way".

kjbrasda
03-29-2003, 02:05 AM
Type O Negative did a cover of "Summer Breeze" that was pretty good. (to me anyway ^_^)
plus a song that follows it real well (set me on fire)
It's on the album "Bloody Kisses" (mine got stolen with about 30 other cd's, reallly pissed me off)

Yeticus Rex
03-29-2003, 02:18 AM
System of A Down did Berlin's "The Metro" and added a few 'F-yous' for emphasis...

Mr. Mook
03-29-2003, 02:36 AM
Johnny Cash's cover of "Personal Jesus" may or may not be ironic, but it's great!

nitroglycerine
03-29-2003, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by vl_mungo
Have You Never Been Mellow? - the Feederz
Ain't Talking 'Bout Love - The Minutemen
My Way - Sid Viscous
I Know An Old Lady - Flipper
Ballad of the Green Beret - The F.U.'s

Hahaha...YEAH! All Those covers are great...."You know I lost a lot of friends there baby, I got no time to fuck around, FUCK YOU"...That version walked all over Van Halen's original, and that Flipper song ("...I know an old lady who swallowed a minister, isn't that sinister?....") just rules.

Someome mentioned Devo....You cant mention one of their covers without mentioning "Satisfaction" one of the best covers of all time!

A band called The Squirrels <SP? I'm to lazy to check> covered Dark Side of the Moon as well.

Jon

Jon

effac3d
03-29-2003, 06:50 AM
Dope - you spin me right round
Marilyn Manson - golden years(david bowie cover)

And a slight hijack,but is it a requirment a band do a cover of how soon is now?
Besides the ones already mentioned Snake river conspiracy did a great cover of it.

effac3d
03-29-2003, 06:54 AM
Forgot to mention snake river conspiracy did a cover of the love song by cure.

Imagine the song remixed by a female Trent Reznor and you'll have a good idea of it.

Tuckerfan
03-29-2003, 08:23 AM
I can't believe that no one's mentioned this! The Coolies put out an album called Dig which is entirely punk covers of Simon & Garfunkel songs!

soulmurk
03-29-2003, 03:04 PM
Type O Negative has done quite a bit of cover songs over the years but none beats their version of Britney Spears' "Hit Me Baby One More Time."

To this day every time I hear it I keep waiting for them to bust up laughing, but they go through with the whole thing. Always has me scratching my head and wondering how many takes it took them to get through.

vl_mungo
03-29-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by nitroglycerine
A band called The Squirrels <SP? I'm to lazy to check> covered Dark Side of the Moon as well.

Jon

Jon

The Squirrels
Not-So-Bright Side of the Moon
covered the whole album...

MysteryFellow63427
03-29-2003, 04:09 PM
There was a midwestern garage-style band called Killdozer that has covered several songs in an amusing manner. I'm not sure which side of the irony/parody line that they lie on, but their covers of Sweet Home Alabama, Cinammon Girl, and Unbelievable might be worth checking out.

betenoir
03-29-2003, 04:24 PM
I second the Butthole Surfer's "American Woman".

The Dickies did some great punk covers of songs, my favorite being "Knights in White Satin".

And you really cannot do without the Revolting Cocks' "Let's Get Physical"

Wait a minute. Can it be no one has mentioned Jimi Hendrix's "Star Spangled Banner" yet?

nitroglycerine
03-29-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by neuroman
There was a midwestern garage-style band called Killdozer that has covered several songs in an amusing manner. I'm not sure which side of the irony/parody line that they lie on, but their covers of Sweet Home Alabama, Cinammon Girl, and Unbelievable might be worth checking out.
Check out the "For Ladies Only" covers album, where they bull...er...killdoze through, among others, One Tin Soldier, Funk 49, and American Pie. Killdozers prolly the most ironic band ever lol

Another good cover is Lydia Lunch's "Run Through The Jungle"

Jon

gex gex
03-30-2003, 07:03 AM
No-one's mentioned Me First + The Gimme Gimmes yet? You gotta have their punked up version of Don't Cry For Me Argentina there.

Already in Use
03-30-2003, 08:35 AM
How the heck did the thread get this far without any mention of the inimitable Frank Zappa? One of the recurring themes in Zappa's oeuvre is the way "Louie Louie" pops up unexpectedly in his songs. And then there are goofy cover versions of songs from just about any genre imaginable -- the most complete guide to covers and musical references in his work is probably this one (http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/songs/composers_index.html).

substatique
03-30-2003, 10:57 AM
A bunch of nuts (http://www.cthulhulives.org/Musical/cdinfo.html) did the musical A Fiddler on the Roof with lyrics from H. P. Lovecraft.

nitroglycerine
03-31-2003, 04:27 AM
Aw man...how could I have forgotton the cover of Morrisey's "Girlfriend In A Coma" By Mojo Nixon, which is especially ironic, considering Mojo is the Anti-Morrisey!

Jon

CzechHistory411
03-31-2003, 05:32 AM
How about either of Laibach's cover albums, Sympathy for the Devil or Let It Be?

They're kinda... well... scary.

-- CH

Tuckerfan
03-31-2003, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by CzechHistory411
How about either of Laibach's cover albums, Sympathy for the Devil or Let It Be?

They're kinda... well... scary.

-- CH Damn! I can't believe I forgot those! Laibach also did a cover of Queen's One Vision, which is totally bizarre!

RealityChuck
04-01-2003, 01:14 PM
Lol Coxhill's version of "That's Why Darkies Were Born" is an ironic comment on the racism behind the original.

WordMan
04-01-2003, 01:51 PM
Really?! No one has mentioned Cake's version of Gloria Gaynor's I Will Survive?

Cake is the ultimate in ironic delivery. And I Will Survive is such a passionate, sincere song. There version rocks. I think it is off of the album Fashion Nugget...

dinahmoe
04-01-2003, 02:01 PM
That Cake cover is wonderful, and yes, it is on Fashion Nugget. My favorite odd covers:

Michael Stipe and Natalie Merchant: "To Sir With Love"
David Bowie and Marianne Faithfull: "I Got You, Babe"
The Foo Fighters: "Baker Street." This one actually is quite nice to listen to.

Enginerd
04-01-2003, 02:07 PM
Punk music's always been good for these kind of covers. The Sex Pistols doing My Way, The Clash and the Dead Kennedys versions of I Fought the Law, Op Ivy and 7 Seconds covered These Boots are Made for Walkin'...

I think they're pretty much split down the middle between irony and tribute. I wouldn't say The Dead Kennedys remade Viva Las Vegas as a tribute, but Social Distortion's covers of Ring of Fire and Under my Thumb certainly qualify, as well as some of the covers The Clash recorded.

On preview, I see that I should also mention Cake's cover of Willie Nelson's Sad Songs and Waltzes.

Beadalin
04-01-2003, 02:43 PM
The Coolies put out an album called Dig which is entirely punk covers of Simon & Garfunkel songs!
Speaking of Simon & Garfunkel, I just remembered another one. Simon & Garfunkel recorded a version of "Silent Night." They sing the song straight, but they are singing over a background of news coverage talking about riots, shootings, bombs, etc. Pretty cool stuff.

li'l Dickie Dirtz
04-01-2003, 05:17 PM
The Gourds (http://www.thegourds.com/) did a cover of Gin & Juice by Snoop Dogg. It's on their album Shinebox, along with other covers. Their website has it for download.

Alphagene
04-01-2003, 06:15 PM
What? No one has mentioned the works ofRichard Cheese (www.ILoveRichardCheese.com)?

Lisa-go-Blind
04-01-2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by nitroglycerine
Another good cover is Lydia Lunch's "Run Through The Jungle"

I haven't heard that particular cover, but she does an excellent cover of Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazleton's "Some Velvet Morning" with Rowland S. Howard. Talk irony.

Bedrosian Bixby
04-01-2003, 07:05 PM
I always found Shane MacGowan and Nick Cave's version of What a Wonderful World to be rather amusing. Given their two haggard old punk singers.

And speaking of Morrissey covers....the all-time oddest band to cover Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want This Time is by none other than Hootie and the Blowfish .

Bedrosian Bixby
04-01-2003, 07:07 PM
Grrr....that was 'They're" not "their"....yessir...my inability to spell is now on display for all to see....forever.

Casey1505
04-01-2003, 07:19 PM
Dynamite Hack's Boyz 'N The Hood

There's a brand new, BRILLIANT !r!e!g!g!a!e! cover of Pink Floyd's album The Dark Side of the Moon--yes, the whole ALBUM--by the Easy Star All Stars, entitled Dub Side of the Moon.

lissener thanks for the tip. Is it out yet? Would a mall record store have it, or is is a special order?

Gangster Octopus
04-01-2003, 07:25 PM
How about Aretha Franklin's cover of Respect? Does that count as ironic, considering it has overshadowed the original?

Auntie Social
04-01-2003, 07:28 PM
Sisters of Mercy covering "Gimme Shelter." I'm not sure they were mocking -- maybe "amplifying" or some such.

fizgig
04-01-2003, 09:21 PM
I'm gonna go with Phish and Les Claypool's cover of Gin N' Juice.

I also really like Devo's version of Head Like a Hole.

I just got Me First and the Gimme Gimme's cover album, the other day, and it's a hoot. I think My Favorit Things is my favorite so far. :D

CzechHistory411
04-01-2003, 11:34 PM
Oooh oooh oooh!

Caress & Sickmob's Are U Experienced?

Caress P-Orridge is Genesis (Throbbing Gristle) P-Orridge's daughter, who must have been around seven or eight years old on the record.

Definitely ironic.

-- CH

HalberMensch242
04-02-2003, 12:08 AM
Mojo Nixon- Girlfriend in a Comma
Bigod20- Just like a Prayer
Laibach - Jesus Christ Superstar

Peter Doubt
04-02-2003, 01:56 AM
Great picks!

Here's a few of mine in no particular order;

Jolene - Queen Adreena
Mr. Crowley - The Cardigans
Country Roads - MFANTGG's
Secret Agent Man - Devo
I Will Survive --Cake and REM
Highway to Hell - Beck
Do You Really Want to Hurt Me - -Violent Femmes
Psycho Killer - Bare Naked Ladies
Carry on my Wayward Son - Foo Fighters

Invisible Chimp
04-02-2003, 02:52 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by fizgig
I'm gonna go with Phish and Les Claypool's cover of Gin N' Juice.

It wasn't Phish that did Gin N' Juice. As already mentioned, it was the Gourds. The Gourds version was falsely attributed to Phish.

I nominate The La's "There She Goes" by Sixpence None the Richer. A song about drugs done by band named for a passage in CS Lewis' "Mere Christianity."

AchimbaProphet
04-02-2003, 07:13 AM
How about the band "Dread Zepplin" who played Led Zepplin songs in a reggae-styled way with an Elvis impersonator singer. Many good choices from their many albums.

Scumpup
04-02-2003, 08:57 AM
Mojo and Skid's bongo-based cover of "In a Gadda da Vida" (not "Stairway to Heaven") is gut-bustingly funny. They even include the drum solo.

Anonymous Coward
04-02-2003, 09:14 AM
I don't think that anyone has mentioned Ani Difranco's cover of Wishing and Hoping. I know it was for a movie, but there is no way that song can be covered in this day and age and not be sarcastic.

mrweebles
04-02-2003, 12:08 PM
Less Than Jake is another punk band that got their start doing covers. New Found Glory put out an album, "From the Screen to Your Stereo" of just covers. Kind of poppy, but listenable. Also, Sublime's By the Rivers of Babylon at the end of "40 Ozs to Freedom" is excellent.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.