PDA

View Full Version : Ladytron- my new favorite thing!

even sven
03-29-2003, 04:33 AM
Like so many others, I'm a disillusioned punk rocker that has given up the world of three chord songs played by high school guys in smelly backrooms for the shimmery shiny world of girls and pop music.

But as a punk rocker, I'm not really sure what to do next. Mostly I've been listening to a lot of Tatu and Shonen Knife. I know there has got to be more to my post-punk life than this.

But tonight as I was nodding off to sleep, a friend IMmed me asking if I liked this Ladytron business. I quickly searched, pulled up some songs and a video, and realized that Ladytron is my new favorite thing.

Yay!

Gerome
03-29-2003, 06:19 AM
I kind of liked "Seventeen", the single, when it first came out, thought it was pretty funky and catchy...but it started to grate pretty quickly. Still, I've heard some of their other songs off the album and they're alright. But I won't buy it lest they all befall the same fate as the single.

gex gex
03-29-2003, 06:44 AM
Yeah, Seventeen was pretty cool. I haven'theard any of there aother stuff, but along those lines, check out some electro-clash and house stuff along the lines of Adult, Peaches, Felix Da Housecat (Silver Screen Shower Scene is a great song) and Chicks On Speed.

E-Sabbath
03-29-2003, 06:49 AM
If you _really_ want to tick people off, more than Punk ever did...

Play three year old pop. Spice Girls! Backstreet Boys! Menudo! Er. That darn band I can't remember that Mark Walberg was in, not Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch, the other one. Something about 5...

hazel-rah
03-29-2003, 01:49 PM
Well, Le Tigre is supposed to be electronic now but I haven't given them a go yet... you must have heard them though, since you live in Santa Cruz. I'll second Chicks on Speed. Also try Heavenly, Swiss Dot, Sing-Sing, Miss Kittin, Sugar Plant, Alsace Lorraine... there is a giant, giant space between Shonen Knife and Ladytron. Saint Etienne of course, Sarah Cracknell is the shiniest girl in pop music.

Don't forget the classics either. The Raincoats, The Slits, Kleenex/Liliput, Marine Girls, Throwing Muses... so many.

-fh

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.