PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Ever Met Their Teen-Age "Crush"?

Marsie
03-29-2003, 05:40 PM
Has anyone ever met their teenage idol or "crush"? Jose Feliciano's wife Susan ran his fan club when she was a teenager. (I was a member.) A few years ago I looked him up on the internet and saw that his wife was named Susan. I e-mailed her and indeed, after high school graduation she went to work for him. One thing led to another and now they have three kids and live in Connecticut.

My husband and I were invited to his 55th birthday party and sat in the front row at his concert at Carnegie Hall. He was very nice.

Through the years I have met quite a few "celebrities" and can't say that they "glow".

dejahma
03-29-2003, 06:07 PM
Not a teen crush, but I met Scott Carpenter. He visited the college where I was an assit. prof of aeroscpace engineering. A career I choose based on the early space program. It was a rush for me.

KSO
03-30-2003, 10:50 AM
When I was a freshman in high school, I had the most awful crush on a senior--he was IT as far as I was concerned, but since I looked like a ten year old boy and had the social skills of child raised by wild dogs, I never even got a hello from him. This was in 1980. Anyway, about 6 or 7 years ago, there was a story about him in the local newspaper--he's now bald and pudgy and living down south somewhere and has become very, very religious--pretty much the complete and total opposite of me. So, I don't WANT to meet him.

Marsie
03-30-2003, 12:31 PM
I had a similar experience. My high school "crush" was featured in our city magazine's "Where Are They Now" column. Ugly doesn't begin to describe it. Plus, he has something like eight children. I'm glad I didn't end up with him.

Also, another man I thought the sun rose and set on when I was single recently ended up having a very messy divorce. Who knew that he was that whacked out? Jesul, peez...thank the Lord above he didn't show any interest in me!

whiterabbit
03-30-2003, 02:53 PM
I'm waiting for an email from my first serious crush; I haven't seen him in eleven years. I found him online. I LOVE the web. I hope we hit it off, since I know I've changed a lot, and I'm sure he has too.

Judging from the pictures I saw, he's put on a lot of weight but is otherwise pretty much the same.

So now I'm watching my email like a hawk.

ruadh
03-30-2003, 03:11 PM
Which one? I had loads of them. And then I started working in the music business and met a few of them. Most were very nice, only one turned out to be a jerk (though he wasn't impolite to me, I just didn't like his personality). One of them I actually ended up in a three-year relationship with, and one of them made a number of attempts over the years to try to get into my knickers. I am proud (if a tiny bit regretful!) he never succeeded :D

(And no, I'm not mentioning any names, but if you're not an indie-music geek you probably wouldn't have heard of most of them anyway ... )

whiterabbit
03-30-2003, 04:03 PM
I don't mean hit it off romantically -- for one thing, he seems to be married -- but as friends, anyway. (Drat!)

Dr. Righteous
03-31-2003, 10:06 AM
Yup, I certainly did - a few times. And as far as can be told without actually hanging out with the guy and knowing him, he seems to be as nice as I'd imagined he was.

Tommy Shaw rocks! And he says I do too - I have an autographed cd to prove it!

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.