PDA

View Full Version : Young Ones Appreciation Thread

js_africanus
03-31-2003, 11:47 PM
On my only trip abroad I kept expecting to come across four guys in Essex who would be absolute trouble. I wish a domestic network would play those old shows featuring Vivian, Neil, Mike, and Prick (the P is silent).

Notables that I can think of:
Rick: in response to discovering that the lentils are from South Africa Neil! Neil! What does it take to make a meal, Neil--from TOTALITARIAN VEGETABLES?!
Neil: Just once I'd like to have dinner without having to scrape it off the floor.
Neil: Help! Help! I'm being hassled by a killer sock.
Neil: after being questioned by a middle aged woman in front of the house Oh great. Now I'm being hassled in the street by a chick.
Perhaps my favorite scene is one where, IIRC, the heat got cut off and Vivian is burning everything in the place. Neil can't figure out what's going on and thinks that stuff is just dissapearing, so he starts trying to nail the plates to the table. Of course, being ceramic, they all break. Mike discovers what Neil is doing and proceeds to try to figure out how to nail the plates to the table. Then the action moves to the other characters and one has to pay attention to Mike in the background as he ponders the dilemma. Finally he gets it and proceeds to hammer these huge barn spikes into these plates without breaking the plates. But the spikes are so long that they go through the table and into his thighs. Just then, Vivian cuts the legs out from under Mike, but he doesn't fall because he's now nailed to the table. Outstanding bit of physical humor, IMO. Outstanding.
Motorhead doing Ace of Spades!! Yee-ha!!

MikeG
03-31-2003, 11:56 PM
What about when yer man is hanging his head out the window of the speeding train and it gets taken clean off by a lamp post or some such? The Head's lying there in the grass and mutters " Bloody useless bastard":)

That kills me!

Keith Berry
04-01-2003, 12:21 AM
I've still got the low-grade EP speed VHS copies I made of the show when it aired on MTV in the late 80's.

Haven't bought the DVD boxset yet. It's damn expensive relative to the amount of content.

Smeghead
04-01-2003, 12:41 AM
The DVDs are well worth it, IMHO. It's a great show.

TigoleBitties
04-01-2003, 01:25 AM
"Thats it..Im going to kill myself!!" Rick starts gobbling pills by the handful.

"Hey Vyv...Is it possible to kill yourself with laxitive pills?"

"I dunno Neil but I am sticking around to find out!"

Ricks reaction to the explosive farting, surprised and blowing pills out of his mouth absolutely killed me.

Also Vyv's 'upgrading' of the Community Chest cards in Monopoly

"You have won second place in a beauty contest. Smash Rick over the head with the bank."

"Congratulations its your birthday. You may set fire to Rick's bed."

"Get out of Jail free. You may keep this card, sell it, or stick it up Rick's bottom."

Little Nemo
04-01-2003, 01:27 AM
"Sleep causes cancer, Rick, everyone knows that"

"Neal, your bed's on fire"

"Dry tea again"

"Why won't it go off Mike?"

"Is it true, Bambi? Did you do a Disney nasty?"

"This calls for a special blend of psychology and extreme violence"

"Hands up. Who likes me?"

and of course: "CLIFF!"

Larry Mudd
04-01-2003, 01:55 AM
Parachute-dependant Buddy Holly to Mike: "I just love your English beetles. After twenty years of the suckers, I ain't got much choice, mind."

(It doesn't really work as well in print.)

Kantalooppi
04-01-2003, 02:10 AM
"Oh no! It's the People's Poet!"

Kyomara
04-01-2003, 04:45 AM
Darling fascist bully-boy,

Give me some more money... You bastard... May the seed of your loins be fruitful in the belly of your woman.

Neil.

TPWombat
04-01-2003, 06:16 AM
VYVYAN: NO!! No! We're not watching the bloody Good Life!! Bloody bloody bloody!! I hate it!! It's so bloody nice! Felicity 'Treacle' Kendall and Richard 'Sugar-Flavored-Snot' Briars!! What do they do now?! Chocolate bloody Button ads, that's what!! They're just a couple of reactionary stereotypes, confirming the myth that everyone in Britain is a lovable, middle-class eccentric - and I - HATE - THEM!!

MIKE: That was a highly articulate outburst, Vyvyan.

peepthis
04-01-2003, 06:36 AM
The first ever episode I saw of "Young Ones" was, at the insistence of a friend, the week before I was to appear on "University Challenge." Of course, it was the episode in which they go on the show, and wreak havoc against the team from Footlights, Cambridge. Absolutely hilarious, complete with non sequitur deus ex eclair from above!

hawthorne
04-01-2003, 06:58 AM
Vyv thinking the Hoover "looked a bit tenative".

Special Patrol Group (the hamster).

"Open up, it's the pigs."

Revolutionary biscuits: you've got your Garibaldi, your Bourbon and your Peak Frean's Trotsky Assortment.

Abe Babe
04-01-2003, 08:14 AM
"It's a video nastY"

"It's a CARPET, FARTY!"

________
"It's a package from the Transvaar."

"It says 'fra-gee-lay'"(fragile)

"Maybe that's Transvaarian for 'Very hard drugs'"

Otto
04-01-2003, 08:34 AM
"What's that little white dot?"
"It's a little white dot. It means 'go to bed...there's no more telly.'"
"Vyvyan, are you going to bed?"
"No, I'm going to stay up and watch the dot some more."
"I wish we had a video, so I could watch it in the morning."

Morgainelf
04-01-2003, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Kyomara
Darling fascist bully-boy,

Give me some more money... You bastard... May the seed of your loins be fruitful in the belly of your woman.

Neil.

Boom Shanka!

vanilla
04-01-2003, 08:58 AM
"Its a telescope! A telescope with a mouse in it!"

I used to have a crush on Rick.:o

dorkusmalorkusmafia
04-01-2003, 09:55 AM
"People's Poet. Don't die! We'll kill ourselves if you do, but first we'll take off all our clothes!"

I particularly liked the scene with the party the boys throw. The Pigs show up at the door and Neil hides a joint in his mouth. When he gets back into the room, he flies off the set and onto the moon where the aliens speaking alien language call him a stupid hippy. Priceless.

The Damned singing Nasty.

lost4life
04-01-2003, 10:13 AM
"My last name is Mucus"

Uttered by Vyvyan's real life wife Jennifer Saunders.

Ahh The Young Ones. One of the few shows that actually caused beer to come up through my nose.

js_africanus
04-01-2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by peepthis
The first ever episode I saw of "Young Ones" was, at the insistence of a friend, the week before I was to appear on "University Challenge." Of course, it was the episode in which they go on the show, and wreak havoc against the team from Footlights, Cambridge. Absolutely hilarious, complete with non sequitur deus ex eclair from above!
Being from the States, a Briton once had to explain to us why it was funny when Vyv stomped through the floor and kicked that guy in the head. We didn't know that the two teams really weren't stacked on top of each other.

Hey! Just what was (is?) a "Special Patrol Group"? I know there's an old Exploited song called "Fuck the SPG", but that sums up all I know.

Labtrash
04-01-2003, 11:53 AM
In one episode ( I have no idea which one ), the camera cut to something on a shelf. It turned and said, "Don't look at me, I'm irrelevant."

I used that for my senior quote when I graduated..should cause much discussion when I finally snap....

DeskMonkey
04-01-2003, 12:23 PM
It took a lot, but my friend and I stifled a fit of inappropriate laughter at her grandfather's funeral a few years ago when the priest said "Ashes to ashes . . ." Both of us imagined Rick singing "funk to funky, we know Major Tom's a junkie . . ."

We went to see Grant Lee Phillips last night and he played Bowie's "Ashes to Ashes" Once again, we busted out laughing and apologized to her dear Grampy above.

Neither of us has seen the show in years, we never really watched it together, and yet at least once a week one of us uses a Young Ones line and we crack ourselves up every time. I'm sort of afraid to watch it again because I fear it will have lost something over the years. I don't want my fondness to be tarnished the way it was when I made the mistake of watching an episode of "Square Pegs" not too long ago. Don't ever do that.

dinahmoe
04-01-2003, 12:50 PM
I love Neil's reaction to the vampire that was delivered to their flat: "Hate Mail!!"

Are any of the books still in print? My copy of "Neil's Book of The Dead" is falling apart.

Smeghead
04-01-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Otto

"I wish we had a video, so I could watch it in the morning."

WE'VE GOT A VIDEO!!!!

vl_mungo
04-01-2003, 02:32 PM
Vyvyan: Neil, let's not beat around the bush -- are you going to make supper, or am I going to kick your teeth in?

Ivar
04-01-2003, 02:55 PM
For Christmas this year my brother gave me the DVD set, and he found the complete scripts somewhere online, printed them all, and put them in a decorated three-ring binder.

Totally cool gift!

It's risotto, Vyv.
Neal, it's snow.
No, it's risotto, eat up.
I bloody well know snow when I eat it, Neal!

Otto
04-01-2003, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Smeghead
WE'VE GOT A VIDEO!!!! I must object. The quotes are from different episodes.

But now is the time. The time when I must finish painting my astrological star chart.

lost4life
04-01-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by DeskMonkey
It took a lot, but my friend and I stifled a fit of inappropriate laughter at her grandfather's funeral a few years ago when the priest said "Ashes to ashes . . ." Both of us imagined Rick singing "funk to funky, we know Major Tom's a junkie . . ."

That just reminded me of when my friend's father died. I was standing next to him at the viewing, trying to make small talk, when he leans over and says "Has anyone told a stiffy joke yet?" His nickname became "Dan the Bastard (you know, from Harry the Bastard).

Smeghead
04-01-2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Otto
I must object. The quotes are from different episodes.

I know that. But it fit.

Johnny L.A.
04-01-2003, 03:27 PM
I watched The Young Ones back in the '80s. Got some bootleg videos I made from videos a friend taped from MTV. I taped them again when they were on Comedy Central. Got the VHS tapes. When I receive e-mail, Vyv yells "It's a video nasty!"; and when I have an error, Tik says "Pa-thetic!"

I love the DVDs. One of my favourite possessions! :)

Otto
04-01-2003, 04:28 PM
The DVDs are worth it for the bonus features. Some of them I'll actually watch again and I almost never watch bonus features more than once.

"But I don't know Vanessa Redgrave!"

Tsubaki
04-01-2003, 06:53 PM
Vyvyan, why did you throw the toilet out the window?
To lower the rent.
Oh, I see. Um, just one more thing...what are you talking about?
Its to lower the rent. You don't have to pay as much for a house with an outside lav.
Oh I see. Well, I don't believe you. I think you did it because you know I have a runny bottom!

(I realise this isn't a 100% correct quote, but I'm hopeless at remembering stuff, even though I have the DVDs)

AncientHumanoid
04-01-2003, 09:59 PM
Rick Mayall was a genius.

Remember when the lentils did a little song and dance number?

Put me off of lentils for a while.

AncientHumanoid
04-01-2003, 10:05 PM
Ooh! Or when we saw Vyv's mum?

Little Nemo
04-01-2003, 10:14 PM
"Why do I have to always make the dinner?"
"Because Neal when we moved in we divided up the jobs. I was in charge of the goldfish and the houseplants and you were in charge of making dinner."
"Yes and what did you make the first night?"
"It was sausages."
"Sausages and what?"
"Sausages, goldfish, and houseplants. Listen Neal, I discharged my duties, now discharge yours."

Banger
04-01-2003, 10:48 PM
"What's a fitooomch?"

Duke
04-01-2003, 11:12 PM
"Vyvyan, where did you get that bazooka?"
"I found it!"

<from off-screen> "Quick, put the picture back on before Elephant Man comes on and starts singing! Too late!"

Tsubaki
04-02-2003, 12:17 AM
Look, Rik, I've got six pairs of hands! I'm Krishna!
God, you'd do anything to impress me, wouldn't you Neil?

Tsubaki
04-02-2003, 12:19 AM
"try to impress me".
Sorry.

js_africanus
04-02-2003, 12:31 AM
Vyv: Bored, bored, bored, bored, bored! Knocks self unconcious with cricket bat

Enzyme
04-02-2003, 05:17 AM
'That's perfectly alright Michael, it was bound to happen sooner or later.'

'Oh Neil, Neil, orange peel'

'Hello Mummy, Hello Daddy, this is my house - where I live'

'You won't catch me in my trousers!'

Sock Munkey
04-02-2003, 06:22 AM
Oh man, I so loved that show. I used to watch it after Monty Python. My absolute favorite bit is the one where Vyv stomps the hamster flat and crams it into the toaster. Oh, the memories.

Vyv-
"This is a friend of mine called Mike, this is a friend of mine called neil, and this is a complete bastard named Rick."

Johnny L.A.
04-02-2003, 08:12 AM
"Vyvyan, where did you get that bazooka?"
[nitpick]It was a howitzer.[nitpick]

Incidentally... (http://www.ironworks.com/comedy/youngone/youngone.htm) :)

js_africanus
04-02-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Sock Munkey
My absolute favorite bit is the one where Vyv stomps the hamster flat and crams it into the toaster.
I knew something happened to that hampster, but I just couldn't remember what.

Now I remember the one where the rats are hanging out in front of their hole in the wall chit-chatting, then quick cut to one of the guys taking a guitar (?) and smashing them. Then they cut back to the rats and the survivor is eating the dead one and he says, "It's what he would have wanted." Audience groans.:D

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.