PDA

View Full Version : Songs...Wrong Artist...Oops!

Fingolfin
04-01-2003, 08:39 AM
Have you ever attributed a song to the wrong artist? Have you ever had an incorrect song association stay with you for years, maybe even decades? If you have, hopefully your misinformation never came out to haunt you in a social situation.

I was out with some old friends the other night. In the car this song comes on the radio:

Gonna drive a freight train, all the way to Georgia....Blah, blah, blah.....Can't ya see.....O, can't cha see.....What that woman....she been doing to me

So lame ass me blurts out, "Cool, some old school Grand Funk Railroad!" Friend A then shoots back, "Hehe, Nah. This is The Marshall Tucker Band" man. Fingolfin slinks down in his chair, while covering his face.

I was lierally in shock about this. I first heard this song when I was probably 10 or 11 and have heard this song probably a good 20-30 times since then (all on the radio). I have ALWAYS thought this song was Grand Funk Railroad!! It's odd to think that not once did I heard the song ID'd (on radio or via friends) as The Marshall Tucker Band until now! The funny thing is, none of us could remember the name of the song! If anyone knows, please shout it out ok. ;)

We then proceeded to have this long discussion about mis-ID'ing songs. One of my friends thought that Free song was Bad Company; Most people did, didn't they?! And one of my friends thought that disco song I Believe In Miracles by Hot Chocolate was David Bowie!! OMG, we LOL at that! Although come to think of it, the singer does kinda sound like Bowie. ;)

So, anybody have any?

pezboy2u
04-01-2003, 08:45 AM
For years, my sister thought "Let's Stay Together" was by Tina Turner. Granted, their voices sound slightly similar, but not much. When Tina finally covered "LST" my sister was even more confused, and when she hears that song, always wonders which version she's hearing- Tina or Al's.

RealityChuck
04-01-2003, 08:47 AM
One of my friends thought that Free song was Bad Company; Most people did, didn't they?! I didn't (I had gotten the Free album before "All Right Now" was a hit), but the confusion understandable -- same singer (and drummer).

LifeOnWry
04-01-2003, 09:06 AM
Fingolfin - the Marshall Tucker Band song is called "Can't You See."

My goof came up the other day - I was listening to the oldies station and they played "Bend Me Shape Me" and I said, "Oh, cool... the Buckinghams." The DJ came on after the song and said, "And that was American Breed, with Bend Me Shape Me."

Hunh. Who knew?

Fingolfin
04-01-2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by LifeOnWry
Fingolfin - the Marshall Tucker Band song is called "Can't You See."

"Can't You See". Ah, well that makes perfect sense! LOL! Thanks LifeOnWry.

Ludovic
04-01-2003, 09:18 AM
Amy -- By the Eagles!

digs
04-01-2003, 10:31 AM
Y'know who's the worst at this? All them young whippersnappers file-sharing their mp3's ... esp. the oldies. They think ALL AS IN EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THE BRITISH INVASION BANDS were the Dave Clark Five.

I've seen "5 O'Clock World"* listed as DC5, and "Needles and Pins"**, and "Here Comes The Night"***, as well as a few early Beatles rarities (sacrilege!).

*The Vogues, before they went WayTooMellowLoungeAct

**The Searchers

***Them (Geez, didn't Van Morrison's voice clue you in?)

Or did the DC5 do covers of some of these that I don't know about?

Noodles
04-01-2003, 12:17 PM
I thought that "What I've Got," was by Beck until a guy in my band wanted to cover it and kept insisting that it was by Sublime. What was I thinking?

Short Guy
04-01-2003, 12:19 PM
I (and many people with me) thought "It isn't easy being me" was by David Gray, but it turned out to be by some band named Five for fighting. Strange.

bordelond
04-01-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Short Guy
I (and many people with me) thought "It isn't easy being me" was by David Gray, but it turned out to be by some band named Five for fighting. Strange.

The name of that song is "Superman", correct?

One of my long-standing cases of mistaken identity was Jimmy Buffet's "Come Monday". For the longest time, I thought it was James Taylor.

dwc1970
04-01-2003, 01:11 PM
For a long time I thought that The Guess Who's "No Sugar Tonight" was done by Creedence Clearwater Revival.

There's also a song called "Dancin' In the Moonlight" (I think). I always thought it was a Van Morrison song, but it turned out to be someone else (I don't remember who, though).

When I heard a song by Buck Cherry I thought it was AC/DC (both of whom I hate anyway).

It took me some time to realize that Rob Zombie's "More Human Than Human" wasn't done by Metallica. It didn't sound like Metallica's style of music, but then, Metallica's own style has changed so much since they started out that anything is possible.

Shoeless
04-01-2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by dwc1970
When I heard a song by Buck Cherry I thought it was AC/DC (both of whom I hate anyway).

Okay, I need to get my eyes fixed. I read that three times as "Chuck Berry". :smack:

astorian
04-01-2003, 02:49 PM
A few songs I ascribed to the wrong performer:

1) For a long time, I thought that the Commodore's "Machine Gun" was a Billy Preston tune (it sounded like the kind of soul synthesizer instrumental Preston was known for).

2) I must've heard Bonnie Tyler's "It's a Heartache" 30 times before I realized it wasn't Rod Stewart.

3) The first time I ever heard Badfinger's "Come and Get It," it was playing over the opening credits of the movie "The Magic Christian." Well, since it SOUNDED like the Beatles, and since Ringo Starr was the star of the movie, I assumed for years that it was the Beatles singing it.

Short Guy
04-01-2003, 03:15 PM
The name of that song is "Superman", correct?

I think the full name was Superman (It's not easy being me). But I could be wrong about that, too.

Short Guy
04-01-2003, 03:17 PM
dwc1970, if it's the same song I know, Dancin' in the Moonlight is by a band called Toploader.

Auntie Social
04-01-2003, 03:24 PM
For a long time I thought that "Break my Stride" (you know: "ain't nothing gonna break my stride/ain't nothing gonna slow me down/oh, no, I got to keep on movin'") was by Billy Joel. It doesn't really sound like him, but nobody heard from the guy who actually did it (Matthew Wilder) before or since, so at least it wasn't like I was forgetting a household name.

astorian
04-01-2003, 03:29 PM
"Dancin' in the Moonlight" was by King Harvest.... and that's he only King Harves hit I'm aware of.

Payton's Servant
04-01-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Short Guy
I think the full name was Superman (It's not easy being me). But I could be wrong about that, too.

Very close, it's "official title" is Superman (It's Not Easy)

digs
04-01-2003, 04:05 PM
[B]There's also a song called "Dancin' In the Moonlight" (I think). I always thought it was a Van Morrison song, but it turned out to be someone else (I don't remember who, though).

Are YOU the guy that keeps sharing that mp3 as a Van Morrison tune?

Or maybe it's another case of "let's just guess at artists and see who downloads it"?

bordelond
04-01-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Payton's Servant
Very close, it's "official title" is Superman (It's Not Easy)

Allmusic.com and b&n.com has it as merely "Superman" (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=4:40:12|PM&sql=A1vfe4j374wav). <shrug> Does the CD cover say different?

I remembered another mistaken-identity case: I always thought Bruce Sprinsteen's "Hungry Heart" was Billy Joel. Once I found out it was Springsteen, I can't believe I didn't place the voice.

Annie-Xmas
04-01-2003, 04:48 PM
"Horse with No Name" by Neil Young.

And "Goodness Gracious, Great Balls of....HEY LADY" by Jerry Lewis was my first thought when I saw this thread's title.

SolGrundy
04-01-2003, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by bordelond
One of my long-standing cases of mistaken identity was Jimmy Buffet's "Come Monday". For the longest time, I thought it was James Taylor.
Hmm, I thought that was by James Taylor until just now.

Originally posted by Annie-Xmas
And "Goodness Gracious, Great Balls of....HEY LADY" by Jerry Lewis was my first thought when I saw this thread's title.
That's awesome. :D

fizgig
04-01-2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Annie-Xmas
"Horse with No Name" by Neil Young.

Damn' right it is!

Lyllyan
04-01-2003, 09:38 PM
I had a long conversation with my 16 year old daughter the other day that "Kalifornication*" was not done by Nirvana, as she previously believed. And yes, I blame the P2P folks.

*Red Hot Chili Peppers

Dragonblink
04-01-2003, 10:26 PM
Due to a mislabelled file, I still have trouble remembering that "Detachable Penis" is not by Primus.

magog
04-01-2003, 10:46 PM
My wife and I were in the car listening to I'm A Believer (the original, not the new one by Smashmouth). She thought it was the Beatles, and I thought Monkeys. Well, I knew it was The Monkeys, and said so.

The song ended, and the announcer was like, "Ah, you got to love the Beatles." Great....

Ludovic
04-01-2003, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by dwc1970

so did I , but I wasnt sure, since at the time the station i heard it on wasnt an AC/DC format.

I have, however mistaken Aerosmiths version of "Back in the Saddle Again" for AC/DC.

widdershins
04-01-2003, 11:05 PM
The Buck Cherry & AC/DC confusion is understandable. Buck Cherry has said that AC/DC is their greatest influence, and they listen to the entire Back In Black album before every show.

Buck Cherry, noisy and dumb, but I still like the song "Lit Up".

There was a thread about wrong artist mix-ups a few months ago where I named several I had wrong. And even found out I had some of my corrections wrong.

FallenAngel
04-02-2003, 07:38 AM
For years I thought Sister Golden Hair Surprise was by Steely Dan. I was so relieved when I found out it was by America, because I had real trouble acknowledging to myself that there could ever possibly be a Steely Dan song I like.

Not that I'm a big America fan, but at least they're not Steely Dan. Cripes.

TelcontarStorm
04-02-2003, 10:07 AM
For years I walked around in ignorance thinking Young Girl (as in.. Get out of my mind) was done by Jonny Mathis.

mkl12
04-02-2003, 11:43 AM
I thought Chicago's "Hard to say I'm sorry" was by the Bee Gees.

scott evil
04-02-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Fingolfin

And one of my friends thought that disco song I Believe In Miracles by Hot Chocolate was David Bowie!!

The strange irony here, is that the song is indeed by Hot Chocolate, but it's called You Sexy Thing. (And ever since The Full Monty, I can't stand the song, because it makes me think of unattractive men stripping.)

While we're on David Bowie, when the single A Girl Like You (Edwin Collins) came out, many, many people thought it was by Bowie. I remember hearing this discussed on the radio several times.

Flamsterette_X
04-02-2003, 05:12 PM
Speaking of mislabelled files on file-sharing networks..

Spoz once blogged (http://spoz.blogspot.com) that he'd forgotten to check just once that an Eminem WinMX video was indeed what he wanted. It wasn't.. it was a Christina Aguilera video listed as Eminem. (and apparently at least 12 users had it listed as that) :confused: :eek:

Later, he told me it spent a grand total of 5 seconds on his system before he deleted it. Then again, he'd taught his father to download stuff off of WinMX.. and his father got fooled by the same trick. As he described it to me in an email on Nov. 25 (date easy to remember since it's my beloved brother's birthday :D):

".. and no.. I wuzn't kidding about the fake Eminem thing.. (damn annoying, too..)

I discovered my father got fooled by the same trick, too.. he wuz trying to download [Jean-Michel] Jarre remixed by Kraftwerk.. but, instead.. somehow got Lenny Kravitz.. (and this wuz from a multi-point download.. all users claiming it wuz wot he thought it wuz..)

weird stuff..."

(bolded bit in square brackets mine)

Definitely some very bizarre stuff happening there!

F_X

ptr2void
04-02-2003, 06:17 PM
My wife thought "Wheel in the Sky" by Journey was Roberta Flack...

Annie-Xmas
04-03-2003, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by fizgig
Damn' right it is!

Nope. That was America's first hit.

To give credit where it's due, the "Goodness Gracious Great Balls of.....HEY LADY!" line is from a Pit thread that made Threadspotting.
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=62082&highlight=Jerry+Lewis

Fingolfin
04-03-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by ptr2void
My wife thought "Wheel in the Sky" by Journey was Roberta Flack...

:eek:

LOL!

Wile E
04-03-2003, 09:34 AM
Erm ... well, I thought <i>Dancin' in the Moonlight</i> was a Van Morrison song, too. I'm sure I have a lot of other misperceptions about who sings what song but I can't think of any others right now.

Anyway, yeah the file-sharing mislabels are annoying. But it's also hard to find the correct info online. For example, I was trying to find the original performer of Everlasting Love, so I did a lyrics search and it was credited to both U2 and Gloria Estefan, who both covered the song but neither were the original performers and neither wrote the song. I found it interesting that all these lyric sites have a disclaimer about the songs being the property of the songwriter yada, yada, yada but none actually credit the writer. They usually list it as if the performer wrote it, which I am sure then leads to more people being confused.

LifeOnWry
04-03-2003, 10:34 AM
I know a number of people who think that "Sister Golden Hair" is performed by Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young. (It's not - it's America.)

Despite being a huge fan of Queen, the first time I heard Another One Bites the Dust I thought it was Aerosmith.

Ranger
04-03-2003, 03:45 PM
"Crumblin' Down" sure sounded like the Stones to me. Anything by Eddie and the Cruisers sounds like Bruce to me.

bjohn13
04-04-2003, 12:07 AM
I used to confuse two songs thinking Pink Floyd was the artist: "Lunatic Fringe" by Red Rider and that Also Nova tune that starts with a helicopter at the beginning.

I always used to think the ELO tune "Don't Bring Me Down" was by the Beegees.

"Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress" by the Hollies has been thought to be CCR by many, including me.

I used to confuse two songs with Pearl Jam....both one hit wonders. "Just Let Me Be" by the Arch Angels and "The Church of Logic, Sin, and Love" by The Men.

And, my all time biggest gaff...I always thought "The Way That You Use It", the them from The Color of Money was by Joe Cocker. After all, I had everything in the Clapton library....and that song wasn't in it.

For years, I thought Rick Springfield's "Don't Talk to Stranger" was by the Doobie Brothers.

And, finally....I always used to think that anything by Thin Lizzy ("The Boys Are Back", "Jailbreak") was by the Bachman-Turner Overdrive.

Mr. Mook
04-04-2003, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by fizgig
Damn' right it is!

Nah that's America.

You're thinking of Crazy Horse with No Name. :D

I can't believe that's butter!
04-04-2003, 03:14 AM
On a roadtrip a year ago, the radio stations kept playing "Ain't No Woman (Like The One I Got)" by the Temptations, which at first I thought was "These Eyes" by the Guess Who. The lack of a, uh, "accordian-reed-keyboard-thing-intro" should have thrown me.

King Harvest of "Dancin' in the Moonlight" fame actually has a "Greatest Hits" out under the Razor & Tie label or Rhino; one of the two.

FYI, "Dancin' (Dancing?) in the Moonlight" is also a title by Anne Murray, and one of my favorites by her at that.

04-04-2003, 03:17 AM
A sudden brain-fart produced this posting by me:
The lack of a, uh, "accordian-reed-keyboard-thing-intro" should have thrown me.

I meant the Hohner Pianet. :smack:

whitetho
04-04-2003, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by Tiramisu
Erm ... well, I thought Dancin' in the Moonlight was a Van Morrison song, too. I'm sure I have a lot of other misperceptions about who sings what song but I can't think of any others right now.

Anyway, yeah the file-sharing mislabels are annoying. But it's also hard to find the correct info online. For example, I was trying to find the original performer of Everlasting Love, so I did a lyrics search and it was credited to both U2 and Gloria Estefan, who both covered the song but neither were the original performers and neither wrote the song. I found it interesting that all these lyric sites have a disclaimer about the songs being the property of the songwriter yada, yada, yada but none actually credit the writer. They usually list it as if the performer wrote it, which I am sure then leads to more people being confused. Dancing in the Moonlight was by King Harvest (#12, 1972). Van Morrison later had a minor hit with a song called Moondance (#92, 1977). The original hit version of Everlasting Love -- written by Buzz Carson and Mac Gayden -- was by Robert Knight (#13, 1967). The biggest hit version was by Carl Carlton. (#6, 1974) (All chart info is for the U.S. Billboard Hot 100)

Shoeless
04-04-2003, 09:03 AM
For the longest time, when I would hear the opening chords of George Harrison's "What Is Life" on the radio, I would think it was BTO. Of course, as soon as he started singing I would go "oh yeah... duh!"

bordelond
04-04-2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by whitetho
The original hit version of Everlasting Love -- written by Buzz Carson and Mac Gayden -- was by Robert Knight (#13, 1967). The biggest hit version was by Carl Carlton. (#6, 1974)

Is Andy Gibb's "Everlasting Love" not a cover version of Knight's song, also? My edition of Joel Whitburn's Top 40 Hits implies that Gibb's tune is not the same song ... but I could have sworn it was.

:confused:

bordelond
04-04-2003, 12:38 PM
Never mind, whiteho -- a quick check of allmusic.com has revealed that Andy Gibb's "Everlasting Love" has a different songwriter than the song Knight and Carlton performed.

I might be mixing Gibb's song up with Rex Smith & Rachel Sweet's cover of the Knight hit.

Rico
04-04-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Joe K
FYI, "Dancin' (Dancing?) in the Moonlight" is also a title by Anne Murray, and one of my favorites by her at that.

<nitpick>

That's Shadows In The Moonlight. (http://www.annemurray.com/pages/disco4.htm)

Too many years as a radio disc jockey....

</nitpick>

04-04-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Rico
<nitpick>

That's Shadows In The Moonlight. (http://www.annemurray.com/pages/disco4.htm)

Too many years as a radio disc jockey....

</nitpick>

Yeah it is....Damn.

Thanks. :D

'Bound to happen....

pepperlandgirl
04-04-2003, 04:03 PM
The first time I ever heard Badfinger's "Come and Get It," it was playing over the opening credits of the movie "The Magic Christian." Well, since it SOUNDED like the Beatles, and since Ringo Starr was the star of the movie, I assumed for years that it was the Beatles singing it.

If it makes you feel any better, Paul McCartney wrote it and produced it.

dogchow
04-04-2003, 07:05 PM
Another mis-ID'ed song on P2P...

I downloaded this song called "She Had Two First Names" off Kazaa. It was tagged as a Weezer song. I like the song alot, but it sounds nothing like Weezer.:confused:

Misha77
04-04-2003, 07:44 PM
Okay...now I'm confused. I thought Dancing in the Moonlight was Thin Lizzy. Now y'all mention King Harvest. I never heard of him (or them). Are these two different songs, or is Thin Lizzy a cover?

Rico
04-04-2003, 07:51 PM
Dancing In The Moonlight

Thin Lizzy. (http://www.spfc.org/songs-releases/song.html?song_id=37&display=)

King Harvest (http://users.cis.net/sammy/harvest.htm)

Two different songs.

King Harvest had the big hit. Can't remember the exact year, but it was ca. 1972.

Misha77
04-04-2003, 08:32 PM
Thanks, Rico! I'm now (slightly) less confused.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.