PDA

View Full Version : Asian-American actresses on primetime network TV

MovieMogul
04-01-2003, 04:02 PM
I was looking through the credits of Futurama and King of the Hill and was surprised to discover that Lauren Tom (http://us.imdb.com/Name?Tom,%20Lauren) voices both Amy in the former and Minh & Khan Jr. in the latter.

Then I started thinking of any other Asian-American actresses on current primetime network TV shows and could only come up with Ming-na from ER in a regularly recurring role (I assume she's still on; haven't watched that show in ages).

Is it possible that Lauren Tom performs 66.7% of all Asian or Asian-American female roles on network primetime TV?* Is there anyone else out there? Please note I'm not counting anyone on reality TV or news programs (so Connie Chung doesn't count).

Can anyone think of others? There's lots of TV out there I don't watch, but of what I do, nothing comes to mind.

*this figure could be as high as 80% if you want to nitpick the math.

Gundy
04-01-2003, 04:05 PM
Tamlyn Tomita was on 24 in the first few episodes.

That's all I can come up with. Yikes.

FairyDust
04-01-2003, 04:09 PM
Keiko Agena plays a high school girl named Lane Kim.

Emily Kuroda plays Lane's mother Mrs. Kim.

Charlie Tan
04-01-2003, 04:52 PM
Lucy Lui.
But she did such a good job on Ally McBeal, she got a movie career going.

TGWATY
04-01-2003, 05:01 PM
Seemed like Rosalind Chao was for many years the ubiquitous female-character-of-any-Asian-heritage, showing up first in Kung Fu in 1972 and still going as of 2002. She was regularly Keiko, wife of O'Brian on ST:TNG.

Okay, I admit it. I had a thing for her.

Gozu Tashoya
04-01-2003, 05:15 PM
If we're counting shows that were cancelled...

Kelly Hu was on Martial Law (ABC) (So was Sammo Hung, IIRC, in a rare "Asian American actor on primetime network TV" role.)

Tia Carrera was (is?) on that abysmal Relic Hunter show (UPN? WB?).

Margaret Cho had American Girl, which didn't last long.

Ming Na Wen was also on some other ill-fated NBC sitcom whose name eludes me.

Then there was Ross' Chinese girlfriend on Friends. Forget who it was, tho.

Ephemera
04-01-2003, 05:15 PM
Who wouldn't? I had a thing for Alyssa Ogawa too. Rowr. :D

Ephemera
04-01-2003, 05:17 PM
Crap.. my response was in reply to [b[TGWATY[/b].

BobT
04-01-2003, 05:40 PM
Ming Na, as she is now called, is part of the cast of "ER". The sitcom was "The Single Guy".

One of the agents on "24" has been Agent Daniel Baker, played by Daniel Dae Kim.

Tamlyn Tomita's character was named "Tracy Dodge", so I think the people behind that show have done a decent job of just casting an actor who is right for the role, regardless of ethincity.

bouv
04-01-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by KKBattousai
Then there was Ross' Chinese girlfriend on Friends. Forget who it was, tho.

Hehe, that was, actually, Lauren Tom as well. The character's name was Julie.

Katisha
04-01-2003, 05:47 PM
What about Linda Park on Enterprise?

Tars Tarkas
04-01-2003, 06:38 PM
how did it take 10 posts to get to Hoshi? What is wrong with you people?

FairyDust
04-01-2003, 06:52 PM
http://us.imdb.com/Name?Han,+Maggie

She co-starred with George Segal in a 1988 tv series called 'Murphy's Law'.

InTransit
04-01-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by BobT
One of the agents on "24" has been Agent Daniel Baker, played by Daniel Dae Kim.

Hey, I thought this was about Asian-American actresses! :) (If you wanna go male, don't forget BD Wong on L&O:SVU and Oz (RIP). Sometimes I think he's the only adult Asian male on TV.)

Joan Chen was in Twin Peaks, but that's pretty old.

Kristen Kreuk is half Chinese. She's Lana Lane on Smallville.

There aren't many Asian-American actresses around, and even fewer actors.

FairyDust
04-01-2003, 07:05 PM
http://us.imdb.com/Name?Tomita,%20Tamlyn

She has a recurring role on JAG as Lt. Cmdr. Tracy Manetti.

Lamia
04-01-2003, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas
how did it take 10 posts to get to Hoshi?

Maybe it was because the subject line says "network TV".

Fiver
04-01-2003, 09:02 PM
But UPN is network TV. As far as I care.

So, ignoring cancelled series or characters who no longer appear, we have:

Amy Wong 1.0
Minh 1.0
Connie 1.0
Manetti 1.0
Lana Lang 0.5
Hoshi 1.0
Jing-Mei 1.0
Lane Kim 1.0

So as you see, Lauren Tom currently plays only 3 out of 7.5 of the characters played by Asian-American actresses on primetime network television.

That's at most 40%, and the percentage can only go down as we think of more characters.

Tuckerfan
04-01-2003, 09:53 PM
What about Alex Borstein (http://us.imdb.com/Name?Borstein,%20Alex)? She's part Chinese and was a regular on Mad TV until recently.

For actors, there's Bobby Lee (http://us.imdb.com/Name?Lee,%20Bobby%20(I)), who's still a cast member.

Ephemera
04-01-2003, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas
how did it take 10 posts to get to Hoshi? What is wrong with you people?

:smack:

Can you ever forgive me?

BobT
04-02-2003, 02:12 AM
Actors? Actresses? What's the difference?

Troy McClure SF
04-02-2003, 02:47 AM
Reiko Aylesworth, Michelle on 24- is she at least part-Asian? I can't seem to find much on her.

Horatio Hellpop
04-02-2003, 04:22 AM
One of the "Slayers-in-Training" on Buffy is Asian.

Horatio Hellpop
04-02-2003, 04:26 AM
Suzanne Whang, an LA stand-up comic, is pretty ubiquitous in shows like VIP and Strong Medicine. I went to high school with her!

Gozu Tashoya
04-02-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by BobT
Actors? Actresses? What's the difference?

In that case, the ex-principal (and, obviously, his son) on Smallivlle.

And Chau (Chow?) from Off Centre.

And, um, that kid from That 80s Show.

Gozu Tashoya
04-02-2003, 05:15 PM
And Dean Cain (Lois & Clark, Ripley's Believe it or Not) who's 1/2 (IIRC) Japanese.

Fiver
04-02-2003, 06:00 PM
Dean Cain is a quarter Japanese.

BobT:Actors? Actresses? What's the difference?The former are male, whereas the latter tend to be female.

Ephemera
04-02-2003, 11:41 PM
Dean Cain's quarter Japanese? I never would have guessed.

Fiver
04-02-2003, 11:55 PM
You don't really notice it until you're told, and then you can see it.

Gozu Tashoya
04-03-2003, 03:14 PM
Yeah, it's in the hair. ;)

InTransit
04-03-2003, 04:48 PM
If we're going to branch out and hijack, consider:

Keanu Reeves
Pheobe Cates
Tia Carrera

All have some Asian blood in them.

Thanks for clarifying actor vs. actress, Fiver. :D

ISiddiqui
04-03-2003, 11:58 PM
Plenty of character actors playing doctors are Indian, though I couldn't tell you their names :D.

Fiver
04-04-2003, 12:05 AM
InTransit:Thanks for clarifying actor vs. actress, Fiver. :D [/B] I'm here for you, buddy.

Gozu Tashoya
04-04-2003, 02:17 AM
Apparently Ming Na wasn't enough for ER - tonight they introduced another Asian female doctor.

Doctor Goo Fee
04-04-2003, 02:34 AM
Fortunately, Asian-American women make up for their scarcity in prime-time entertainment by holding down about 70% of all local TV news reporter jobs (or at least it seems like that sometimes).

Gozu Tashoya
04-04-2003, 04:03 AM
Anybody know why that is, exactly? Is it the easy-on-the-eyes factor (I'll admit to having a certain bias here)? Or are they somehow just that much more trustworthy than eveyone else?

Hijack? What hijack?

Bryan Ekers
04-04-2003, 05:51 AM
Kellye Nakahara played the rather chubby Nurse Kellye on M*A*S*H as far back as 1973, so it's not all about "easy-on-the-eyes", nor it is it exclusively a recent phenomenon.

Nakahara is from Hawaii and identified her character's ethnic background in one rather forced scene that I'll quote as best I can from memory:

Alan Alda: We need a [larger aortic graft for this critically-ill patient]
Nakahara: Doctor, I'm half-Japanese and half-Hawaiian. Can you put in terms I can understand?
Alda: A small egg roll.
Nakahara: That, I can understand. We don't have one that big.

France Nuyen (who is easy on the eyes) is of French-Vietnemese ancestry . Her credits include two seasons of St. Elsewhere and the original I Spy TV series. Plus she got Captain Kirk to fall in love with her, so she deserves special mention just for that.

Kim Miyori also had two seaons on St. Elsewhere (though earlier than Nuyen's, which kinda suggests they were deliberately going for demographic casting).

Horatio Hellpop
04-04-2003, 06:47 AM
France Nuyen (who is easy on the eyes) is of French-Vietnemese ancestry . Her credits include two seasons of St. Elsewhere and the original I Spy TV series. Plus she got Captain Kirk to fall in love with her, so she deserves special mention just for that.

She was also Bloody Mary's daughter in South Pacific. where she took 'easy on the eyes' to a much higher level.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.