PDA

View Full Version : Game Redux: What deserves to be put on Second Gen Consoles?

Aslan of Narnia
04-01-2003, 10:52 PM
I'm talking about games that were on the old nintendo(or, perhaps SNES). Or perhaps, even better, computer games that need to be updated. It would work better for people who have the consoles but can't afford to get new hardware for some of the new games, but want sequels to titles like StarCraft(not that StarCraft really needs to be upgraded, although the graphics are a little dated when compared to most games) that are only PC exclusive.

You could also repackage series of games ala what they did with Kirby(I believe they put several of his games into one package, for GC).

Which one deserves to be put on one of the new systems?

I believe that they should make a more 'truer' megaman on some systems other than GBA, in the sense that it would be more of a 3-D side scroller rather than the RPG mixed Megaman 64.

Fibber McGee
04-01-2003, 11:17 PM
They really need to revive that Earthbound sequel that never came out and get it on the GC. The first two games are totally unique, interesting and fun RPGs and a third installment on a current-gen console would be great.

As for PC games coming to consoles, I'd like to see some classic PC point-and-click adventure franchises revived as console-style RPGs. King's Quest, Space Quest and the Monkey Island series all come to mind as franchises that have rich worlds with more than enough buried substance to fill a long and involved RPG plot, with lots of humor in the cases of SQ and MI.

Aslan of Narnia
04-01-2003, 11:23 PM
Do you mean Earthbound 0?
It was a sequel, apparently on Nes. It had nothing to do with earthbound, really. I would imagine it would work only as a stand alone, unless they reworked it a bit to make connections to the first one.
Earthbound was a kick ass game though. The only RPG game I like.

Aslan of Narnia
04-01-2003, 11:28 PM
I got it wrong.
It was released before Earthbound(thus the 0), and originally titled 'earth'.
It was only released in Japan, and besides a few things such as similar weapons and a guy from the future, nothing else conclusively made it a prequel. (http://starmen.net/mother1/)

Yorikke
04-02-2003, 04:45 PM
I always loved Toejam and Earl, though it's been at least 10-15 years since I played it...

hrh

Miller
04-02-2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by hrhomer
I always loved Toejam and Earl, though it's been at least 10-15 years since I played it...

hrh

Ask and ye shall receive. (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/adventure/toejamearl3missiontoearth/index.html)

Unfortunetly not much of a game, from what I've read.

Mojo
04-02-2003, 06:09 PM
Archon, Golgo 13, and Trojan.

Cubsfan
04-02-2003, 06:16 PM
I think you mean third gen consoles. Wasn't PS1 second gen?

Anyway, Strider needs to be remade. Awsome game. Same goes for Bionic Commando. Both are awsome games.

KarlGrenze
04-02-2003, 06:19 PM
Some NES (or SNES) games have been updated to GameBoyAdvance games.

Aslan of Narnia
04-02-2003, 06:22 PM
Wouldn't PS1 be first gen because it was the first console for sony? And isn't the gamecobe 4th gen because we had the nes, the snes, the n64 and now the GC?

Rabid_Squirrel
04-02-2003, 06:35 PM
Or 5th-6th generation, if you included the plastic coated PCB's of the early 80's

Back to the OP, a more 'deeper' version of Streets of Rage, a complelation of all the Mario games up to Mario64, 3D bionic commando with the ability to grapple onto any surface and ummm.... some sort to re-invention of the vertical scolling shoot-em-up.

SPOOFE
04-02-2003, 07:36 PM
I'd like to see a redux of Gradius. Those games were addicting.

Bring back Road Rash. There was a version for PC a while back, but it didn't do too well.

And, for Christ's sake, let's get a friggin' sequel to Super Mario RPG! Nintendo, Square, give us one last romp for this one!

Ura-Maru
04-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Maybe . . . possibly . . . oh, I don't know . . .

STRIDER!!!!

How the hell can you dust off Rygar before Strider?

Failing that, Ninja Gaiden would be a pretty good choice. A stealthy, horror, System Shock-esqe version of Metroid would be cool as hell, but it's unlikly. _Aliens_ clones sell too well to make _Alien_ clones attractive, and _Aliens_ is a lot easier to do.

As for computers, the obvious suggestion is FALLOUT! Of course, They claim a sequel is going into production real soon now. Actually, it's been 'real soon now' for about 5 years now, so I imagine it's getting very good at it.

Circuit's Edge, maybe?

--
'Ah, it is Strider Hiryu. He will NEVER leave URASIA alive!'

neutron star
04-04-2003, 05:31 PM
This (http://pcvsconsole.com/features/consoles/gen1.php) site lists all the generations of consoles. Atari 2600, Intellivision, et al., are considered the first. NES is third. SNES is fourth. The new consoles are sixth generation. I mean, I'm not sure how official all this stuff is, but their organization looks pretty logical to me.

broccoli!
04-04-2003, 06:46 PM
1st gen: valley system, atari 2600, etc
2nd gen: 8 bit systems (NES, sega master system)
3rd gen: 16 bit systems (SNES, sega Genesis, turbografix)
4th gen: 32 bit systems or multi-processor 32's (Sega CD, N64)
5th gen: 64 bit systems or 64+ (PS1, Dreamcast)
6th gen: 128+ bit systems (PS2, Xbox, gamecube)

This is also kind of relative to when the system was released.

broccoli!
04-04-2003, 06:52 PM
OH, and I forgot what games I want re-released...

Let's see... Metroid and Castlevania are already still being produced...

Mail Order Monsters would be nice... War of the Monsters kinda fill it's place, but I miss the RPG elements of it.

Kid Icarus has been dead in the water for over a decade now, that would be a neat one.

I miss old space-shooters... The dreamcast had a few really good ones, but they were imports that came out as it was dying (PS: That was a system that did not need to die, nor was it anywhere near past it's prime)... but I digress... Life Force remake anyone?

Clash At Demonhead or Bionic Commando would be neat, as would Fester's Quest or Golden Axe (Golden Axe I think may be on the GBA)...

ok, enough out of me for now

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.