View Full Version : What is this recipe called?

04-09-2003, 04:30 AM
I made some meringues last night (I'm cooking dinner for 12 people tonight, the dessert will be kiwi and strawberry pavlova and vanilla sabayon with an orange and passion fruit coulis), anyway, as I was mixing the meringues, I remembered once seeing someone poach them lightly in boiling water, resulting in a sort of marshmallow thing but I can't remember if there is a proper name for this.

curly chick
04-09-2003, 05:23 AM
Poached eggwhite meringue mix is called floating islands, or whatever the French tanslation is (Isles flotants??)
You can poach in red wine and they go kind of pinky around the edges.
The white ones are usually served with creme anglaise, which as far as I can see is thin runny custard, made with eggs, rather than Bird's (custard powder)
Not as nice as meringue, according to me, at least

04-09-2003, 07:53 AM
Yep, that's Óles flottantes alright. There's a recipe (http://dessert.allrecipes.com/AZ/FltingIslndsII.asp) for them poached in milk and served on the creme anglaise.

04-09-2003, 08:08 AM
I suppose the creme anglaise is how you use up all the egg yolks - 8 of them in my case - (this is why I made sabayon, which is pretty much the same)

04-09-2003, 08:40 AM
If someone decides not to show at your dinner party (yeah, like THAT'S gonna happen), please let me come by to sample your cooking. It sounds good. I'm in Chicago, but I can be there in 3 hours or less! ;)

04-09-2003, 10:25 AM
I know them as Ouefs a la Neige ("Snow Eggs").

04-09-2003, 10:39 AM
Yes, Ile flottante has oeuf a la neige on top of creme anglaise. I never heard of poaching them before?? I always thought it was just egg whites beat with sugar?? Cool trick.

04-09-2003, 10:54 AM
I think their also called "blankets in a pig", but I'm not sure why... They serve them at Denny's.