PDA

View Full Version : Disgusting bodily fact #112395: My butt itches-- diabetes?

Biggirl
04-20-2003, 08:47 PM
I sometimes get a really, really terrible itch. Not on my butt, but in that very secret place that is the center of buttness-- the portal to my digestive system. I have read that this can be a symptom of diabetes and I have been diagnosed as such. My question is:

Why? Why would glucose in my blood make my doody-door itch like mad? Does the itch mean I should check my sugar?

P.S. It's not itching right now-- I just wanna know for future reference.

Qadgop the Mercotan
04-20-2003, 09:16 PM
Pruritus Ani! What a charming diagnosis.

People with diabetes tend to have more yeast infections (vaginal, skin fold, anus) than others. That may be why there's a higher incidence of persistant rectal itch in diabetics. If there's another connection, I have been unable to find it. The "Handbook of Dermatology" by Dr. C. S. Leung states that most pruritus ani is due to yeast.

So that'd be high on my list of possible reasons for someone's fanny to itch if they have DM. Yeast loves to grow anywhere its dark and warm and moist.

One could try good washing and drying, and the using of cornstarch or other drying agents in one's shorts to ameliorate the symptoms. Otherwise a topical antifungal along with a mild cortisone cream (both available OTC) could help. If these measures do not help, one should then proceed apace to see their doctor.

Now you've got me scratching, dammit!

QtM, MD

Ruby
04-20-2003, 09:21 PM
Mr. Ruby was just diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and I'm glad doody-door-itching was not among his symptoms.

While not experts, we've done quite a bit of reading and attended classes at the hospital and I haven't heard of that one.

Biggirl
04-20-2003, 09:23 PM
I think I should start paying you a Doper retainer, QtM. Thanks.

Dr_Paprika
04-20-2003, 11:43 PM
Diabetics almost always have (in addition to high blood sugars) polyuria and polydipsia. If you don't drink and pee more than the average Littlegirl there is probably something else causing your painful rectal itch. With a name like Smuckers...

HPL
04-20-2003, 11:50 PM
Can you still have an itchy butt but not diabetes?

zoogirl
04-20-2003, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by HPL
Can you still have an itchy butt but not diabetes?

Yup, hemaroids'll do it. Also crabs. :eek:

(slight hijack) When I was having my first baby, I had toxemia and itched all over so bad, all I could do was lay in a lukewarm tub and whimper. Not pleasant!

lee
04-21-2003, 12:01 AM
Sure, you could have pin worms.

choosybeggar
04-21-2003, 12:48 AM
Cashew allergy can also cause a horrible IBC (itchy butt complex)

Mac Guffin
04-21-2003, 01:11 AM
My favorite entry in my Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary, (Edition # 17) is on page, 631.

"emperor of pruritus.
The itching that accompanies poison ivy dermatitis involving the anal area. It is so intense that it is referred to as the emperor of pruritus."

:eek:

Not that that has much to do with the OP, but sheesh. Imagine wiping your butt with poison Ivy!

Satisfying Andy Licious
04-21-2003, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by Particlewill
My favorite entry in my Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary, (Edition # 17) is on page, 631.

"emperor of pruritus.
The itching that accompanies poison ivy dermatitis involving the anal area. It is so intense that it is referred to as the emperor of pruritus."

:eek:

Not that that has much to do with the OP, but sheesh. Imagine wiping your butt with poison Ivy!

"Leaves of three, good T.P."

Ruby
04-21-2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by choosybeggar
Cashew allergy can also cause a horrible IBC (itchy butt complex)

I'll never look at a root beer the same again...:eek:

Qadgop the Mercotan
04-21-2003, 08:12 PM
My answer was meant to reflect the most common reason for pruritus ani in diabetics. In non-diabetics yeast is also a very common reason for itch. But the differential diagnosis for the condition is lengthy:

Systemic causes
Hyperbilirubinemia
Leukemia
Aplastic Anemia
Thyroid disease
Functional and mechanical causes
Chronic Diarrhea
Chronic Constipation
Anal Fissure
Anal fistula
Tight fitting clothes
Vigorous peri-anal cleaning
Stool Leakage
Anal Incontinence
Prolapsed Hemorrhoids
Rectal prolapse
Anal papilloma
Infections
Erythrasma (Corynebacterium)
Intertrigo (Candida)
Herpes Simplex Virus (HSV)
Human papillomavirus (HPV)
Pinworms (Enterobius)
Scabies
Perirectal Abscess
Gonorrhea
Syphilis
Dermatologic causes
Psoriasis
Seborrheic Dermatitis
Intertrigo
Neurodermatitis
Bowen's Disease
Atopic Dermatitis
Lichen planus
Lichen Sclerosis
Exposures
Systemic: Medications
Colchicine
Quinidine
Topicals: Contact Dermatitis
Soaps, deodorants or perfumes
Alcohol-based anal wipes
Allergy to dyes or perfumes in toilet paper
Fabric softener intolerance
Topicals: Food irritants
Tomatoes
Caffeinated beverages
Beer
Citrus juices or fruit
Milk products

NB: Many texts will say that diabetes causes pruritus ani, but most experts agree this is secondary to candidal rectal infections, not to diabetes directly.

robinh
04-21-2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Qadgop the Mercotan

One could try good washing and drying, and the using of cornstarch or other drying agents in one's shorts to ameliorate the symptoms.

QtM, MD

No, not cornstarch. Yeast loves cornstarch. It will eat it right up and ask for more.

Talc works fine, but is problematic when inhaled. I like kaolin clay, myself. (It was the one thing that really helped my sensitive-skinned babies.)

Qadgop the Mercotan
04-22-2003, 08:27 AM
Very true, robinh. Skip the cornstarch

Dr_Paprika
04-22-2003, 10:35 AM
Oh great. Now I have to start asking people about their use of alcohol-containing anal wipes?

CookingWithGas
04-22-2003, 12:07 PM
I had a case of 'rhoids that caused this symptom, they were internal so they weren't obvious, a couple of days on prescription suppositories worked miracles. But as you can see from Qagdop's list, the only way to find out for sure is to see a doc.

clayton_e
04-22-2003, 12:49 PM
Kinda embarassed to start a thread topic on it but...

a little bit related.

In my left armpit I have this pain and this spot that is a little denser (not a lump) under the skin. It hurts like hell sometime, I once had something like it in my earlobe (over a couple of years it eventually subsided, came back, then subsided again).

Is it anything I should be worried about?

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.