PDA

View Full Version : The Doors' Touch Me "Stronger than dirt?"

rsvp9146
07-02-2003, 10:44 AM
WHat the hell are they saying at the very end of the song Touch Me.

All i ever hear is "Stronger than Dirt"

byomtoob
07-02-2003, 10:51 AM
It IS "Stronger than Dirt". It was the tagline to a radio and/or TV commercial for AJAX laundry detergent.

The whole line is "AJAX, laundry detergent, is stronger than dirt!".

dropzone
07-02-2003, 01:06 PM
I've never noticed them singing it because I'm always singing it myself. Those four notes just pull it out of somebody of a certain age.

astorian
07-02-2003, 01:21 PM
When I was a kid, back in the 1960s, Ajax Laundry Detergent commercials always featured a white knight on a horse. He'd go riding past people in dirty clothes, you'd hear a deep voice singing "stronger than dirt," and zap! The clothes would be fresh and clean.

The Doors were just making fun of a popular TV commercial.

dantheman
07-02-2003, 01:32 PM
Dang. I always thought it was "stronger than blood."

gobbles
07-02-2003, 01:50 PM
Being an avid Doors fan, I tend to read a lot about them. (No, not the "New Doors" the originals, man.) I once read a story, explaining the Stronger than dirt line, and explained it that a certain company approached Jim about using his song in a commercial and he refused and then proceeded to make fun of it in this song. I have also read that a company DID use one of their songs in a commercial (for some reason a tire commercial rings in, but I think that's the movie interfering with truth), without his permission (was this before royalties were an issue?) and to get back at corporations in general, he chose a familiar tag line to mock them. No telling if this true, can anyone verify this?

Marley23
07-02-2003, 02:25 PM
I doubt it was before royalties, but sometimes stuff like that happens without permission.

Mephisto
07-02-2003, 05:49 PM
gobbles, I believe that the company that used a Doors song without Jim Morrison's knowledge was Buick. I thought the tougher than dirt line was just the guys goofing off in the studio.

Jerrybear
07-02-2003, 06:01 PM
I also think it was Buick who used Light My Fire in a commericial.

In the Oliver Stone "Doors" movie, there is a scene where the ad comes on a TV that Morrison is watching and he heaves it out a window just like Brett Favre throwing a TD pass.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.