PDA

View Full Version : Satans, Devils, and Death(beings) throughout media

Aslan of Narnia
07-02-2003, 09:35 PM
Marvel:

Hela, who rules over the asgardian land of death known as Hel.

Mephisto, who isn't really the "devil", in the christian sense, is a very powerful demon who rules over a land of the dead he calls hell, who confuses normal humans into thinking he is the real devil and getting them to give their souls.

D'spayre is a demon who instills fear and dread in people thru illusions casted based on what the person fears, gaining sustenance from those emotions.

DC:

Death, one of the endless, beings who are the embodiment of forces and emotions, such as Destruction, Desire or Delirium. Death is shown as a "goth chick", and is supposedly based on Tori Amos. She's portrayed as happy, agreeable and nice. She becomes a mortal for 24 hours every century. See Death: The High Cost of Living and Death: The Time of Your Life.

Stephen King:

Flagg: In many King novels, especially in the Gunslinger, their is a human/reference to someone that is similar to the person from The Stand known as Flagg. Indications of him being the/a devil are:

- In the stand, the heroes get visions that are from god. IIRC, god causes the nuclear bomb to go off in the end. Flagg opposes the god, swaying people over to his side by promsing them things, and various other things the devil did.

He changes apparences, makes allusions to have lived a long time, and has none of those lines on his hands.

My details may be off a bit, as it's been a while since I've read the Stand or The Dark Tower Series.

Askia
07-02-2003, 10:43 PM
The numerous reincarnations of "Death Takes A Holiday": Fredric March as death in the original, Monte Markham as death in the 70s TV remake, Brad Pitt as death in Meet Joe Black.

DC comics: New God, Death, the Black Racer.

Aslan of Narnia
07-03-2003, 01:11 AM
Names for the devil: Beelzebub , Mephistopheles, Lord of Lies, Morningstar, Lucifer, the Fallen, Angel of the bottomless pit, Belial, the Enemy, Levithan, Satan, Scratch, Abaddon, Apollyon, Dragon, Serpent, Tempter.

Kamino Neko
07-03-2003, 01:11 AM
You forgot DC's various devils.

Lucifer and Azazel get a good amount of face (faces in Azazel's case) time in Sandman, and IIRC, it's Satan who's in charge in Hellblazer.

Nocturne
07-03-2003, 01:24 AM
Um, Aslan?

Death is not based on Tori Amos; Delirium is.

teleute12
07-03-2003, 02:51 AM
Right, Death is based on some waitress chick. From the annotations:

Mike Dringenberg credits "Cinnamon" as the visual inspiration for Death in _The Doll's House_.

FriarTed
07-03-2003, 06:10 AM
Aslan- how could you forget-

the White Queen, Jadis, Tash & Shift?

oh yeah, and Screwtape & Slubgob?

;-)

Skip
07-03-2003, 06:18 AM
Another DC devil: Neron, who is the main manifestation of Lucifer/Satan/Beelzebub in the mainstream DC Universe (at least from the mid 90's).

C K Dexter Haven
07-03-2003, 06:28 AM
Well, there's Sauron, of course, and his one-time boss Morgoth. Although there's been no reference to Morgoth in the movies, Tolkien describes him in terms of being in conflict with the Creator and falling from grace, etc.

One also recollects Mephistopheles, who had a deal for Faust, appearing in various operas and similar.

But my favorite, bar none, is Mr Applegate in the Broadway musical and film DAMN YANKEES, so wonderfully realized by Ray Walston. YA-ha-ha-ha! Those were the good ole days!

Marley23
07-03-2003, 07:30 AM
Death is not based on Tori Amos; Delirium is.
That's just cool.

El Elvis Rojo
07-03-2003, 07:33 AM
My personal favorite is Cernunnos from Joseph Michael Linsner's work. The god of Death and Change. His appearance changes many times over, but his main manifestation is of a massive figure with a skeletal head minus the bottom jaw with long white hair and curled horns. He always has the faces of Drama and Tragedy on his armor, and caries an axe, slaughters angels and demons by the dozens, and is one terrifying sight. And quite a romantic, as well.

There's also the Maelbolgia from Spawn (I forget the name of the one in the Curse of Spawn series). In one storyline, Spawn himself becomes the ruler of Hell. Lucifer also got his own storyline in this series.

There's also Lady Death, who gets many visits from Death.

And who can forget Death in Terry Pratchett's Discworld stories? You know, the guy who TALKS LIKE THIS.

El Elvis Rojo
07-03-2003, 07:37 AM
Duh! Linsner also has Lucifer as a main point in many of his stories. This is the more romantic, jilted lover Lucifer who longs for nothing more than to be accepted and loved by God.

Also, the comic Defiance deals with the original ruler of Hell trying to lead a revolt against Satan. The key to this revolt? Satan's Daughter. Unfortunately, his son is still a Daddy's Boy.

There's also the Death in Marvel Comics who's been persued by Thanos in many storylines (anyone remember the Infinity Gauntlet?)

Aslan of Narnia
07-03-2003, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by El Elvis Rojo

There's also the Death in Marvel Comics who's been persued by Thanos in many storylines (anyone remember the Infinity Gauntlet?)
I did. What was with Death not even talking to Thanos, even after he wiped out half the living universe? Why continue to pine for her love, because I doubt you'd even surpass something like that? Pretty cool storyline though, especially the way Nebula is defeated, and I also loved the ending. Although, I didn't quite understand what was up with the thing with the time loop and Warlock, could you explain that to me?

vl_mungo
07-03-2003, 11:56 AM
George Spiggot (http://www.petercook.net/thumbs/george-spiggot-thumb-a.jpg)

MovieMogul
07-03-2003, 12:09 PM
The Pacific Film Archive in Berkeley just started a series on Evil in the movies, and most have demon or devil-related themes or characters:

Larry Cohen's God Told Me To (screened last night: Wow!)
Ken Russell's The Devils
Leslie Stevens' Incubus (in Esperanto!)
Luis Bunuel's Simon of the Desert
Zelma Carroll's The Lash of the Penitentes
Charles Laughton's The Night of the Hunter
Roman Polanski's Rosemary's Baby
Bernard McEveety's The Brotherhood of Satan
Beth B's Salvation!
Piers Haggard's The Blood on Satan's Claw

Earl Snake-Hips Tucker
07-03-2003, 12:19 PM
Hey, Askia, I'm just glad to see someone else remembered Sgt. Willie Walker (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?postid=3634076#post3634076).

hebesphenomegacorona
08-23-2003, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by FriarTed
Aslan- how could you forget-

Tash?

;-)

heeheehee...

Satan's a cunt...

I hope.

Aslan of Narnia
08-23-2003, 08:47 PM
Was that really needed?

hebesphenomegacorona
08-23-2003, 08:52 PM
No...

Damn not noticing post dates.

(Before any questions are asked, it was through a search.)

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.