PDA

View Full Version : Angel premier on Wednesday. Are you guys excited?

Charlie Tan
09-29-2003, 09:33 AM
I'm totally spoiler free and intend to stay that way. Of course, I picked up some buzz around mid summer, but all so vague that it doesn't matter.

Last season of Angel was one of the best things on tv ever. That mega long arc, and how well it was all tied together. It was beautiful, in the same way Bab5 was beautiful. I really enjoy it when writers, directors and producers expect the audience to have half a brain, and being able to follow a plot longer than the next commercial break.

Buzz about this year, is that they're not going to do one long arc, but stick with stand alone episodes. I'm a bit wary, but will of course keep my eyes peeled at the regular places I can d/l the show.

So I'm looking forward to it, but I'm not hyped, yet.

As a bonus, here (http://www.thewb.com/Shows/Special/0,11116,128486,00.html) is a letter from Joss about this upcoming season. There are minor spoilers, e.g. Spike is coming to the show :p, but nothing major.

Revtim
09-29-2003, 09:53 AM
This Wednesday? I'm very surprised I haven't seen any promos. I suppose I just haven't been watching anything at all on WB.

AmericanMaid
09-29-2003, 09:58 AM
I loved last season but this coming season the show will be completely different. No more season-long arcs, Cordelia, or Connor. Lighter tone and more stand alone episodes. Plus Spike and Harmony.
What I liked about Angel the series has been basically wiped away and adding Spike to the cast is not winning points with me. The character should have stayed dead. So have fun with a show called Angel that will become All About Spike (don't believe me? Check out Buffy seasons 6 and 7). He of the head tilts, sucked in cheeks, bleached hair. YAWN.

elf6c
09-29-2003, 10:34 AM
I am pumped. I am a little worried as to how Spike will be worked in- and if he evovle into the Angel version of Spike.

But given last season I have high hopes.

:)

Otto
09-29-2003, 10:38 AM
If the show becomes All About Spike and thrives, then making it All About Spike was the right move. If it becomes All About Spike and founders, then it was thr wrong move and can be corrected. I think it's bizarre to make assumptions based on nothing more than the fact that an actor is joining the cast.

Judith Prietht
09-29-2003, 10:56 AM
Well, I'm excited and spoiler-free. I somehow doubt Angel will become All About Spike and since I don't particularly have a problem with Spike I don't think I'll be bothered so much if it does. I think it's important for Angel to have a connection to his past to balance or add more dimensions to his good-guy actions now (Cordy and Wesley filled that role before, in addition to various other Buffy guest spots), and based on Angel and Spike's relationship I think interesting things have the potential to develop between them and the others.

I may be naive, but I honestly like the show and want to enjoy watching it this season.

I believe the WB is going to start running old Angel episodes starting sometime this week, but I'm not certain when.

Amp
09-29-2003, 11:04 AM
My FOX affiliate started running Angel from the first episode this weekend at midnight on Saturday night/Sunday morning. It'll be good to catch up since I didn't start watching it until season before last.

I can't wait for the new season. I'll wait until a few episodes have aired to pass judgement.

Mehitabel
09-29-2003, 11:05 AM
I'm psyched, and very curious. I disliked the Connor and Cordy arcs and am glad they're gone.

I have no idea how they're going to put Spike into the show, but I'll be interested to find out. He'll have to be the anti-Angel to have enough contrast. And Angel needs somebody who knows him--his best interactions were with early Cordy, Drusilla, and Darla.

Harmony--meh. For me, Cordy lost a lot when she looked into Harm's eyes at the end of DISHARMONY and said "Get out of here" instead of pulling the crossbow trigger and putting at end to her old friend's unlife. Harmony had been dead for two years and Cordy is partly responsible for every victim she's killed since. I find the actress annoying in large doses. Oh well.

Fred and Gunn should be interesting, and I think Wes is going to start...remembering...things. I never really liked Lilah but Nearly Headless Lilah is OK.

elf6c
09-29-2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Judith Prietht
Well, I'm excited and spoiler-free. I somehow doubt Angel will become All About Spike and since I don't particularly have a problem with Spike I don't think I'll be bothered so much if it does. I think it's important for Angel to have a connection to his past to balance or add more dimensions to his good-guy actions now (Cordy and Wesley filled that role before, in addition to various other Buffy guest spots), and based on Angel and Spike's relationship I think interesting things have the potential to develop between them and the others.

I may be naive, but I honestly like the show and want to enjoy watching it this season.

I believe the WB is going to start running old Angel episodes starting sometime this week, but I'm not certain when.

I agree I am not getting a "All About Spike vibe" from this season either. But the show became great when it evolved into a true ensemble show- so hopefully they will keep it that way. Given that the scene time for Connor and Cordy is now available, Spike should fit in nicely.

Although, it does load them up a bit on male champion types: Angel, Spike, Gunn and Wesley. Still having a powerful outsider may be quite important with the boys now "controlling" the L.A. office of W&H. But I am unspoiled so that's mere speculation.

Telemark
09-29-2003, 11:17 AM
I'm just pissed that it's opposite West Wing and I have to figure out how to watch one program and tape another. Grrr. Argh.

Somewhat high hopes for this season. I wasn't nearly as happy as The Gaspode with last season. Instead of an all-encompassing arc I saw a bunch of ideas that were pushed into a single storyline but never meshed. Some ideas seemed completely forgotten or never explained. The story was interesting, but not very internally consistent.

I was never much a fan of Spike except in his early appearences. I hate the puppy dog with fangs that he became and hope the writers use this as a chance to redo the character. He shouldn't revert to old Spike, that would make no sense, but a new, powerful, but different Spike would be my wish.

I'm very interested to see how they use W&H in the new storylines. Some season-spanning arc is needed, I don't want a mystical version of "Barnaby Jones", solving every problem neatly in 42 minutes.

elf6c
09-29-2003, 11:19 AM
I have confirmed thay Oct 1 is the Season Premiere of Angel at the WB site:

http://www.thewb.com/Shows/Show/0,7353,||139,00.html

Beware, there are mild teaser type spoilers there- but its clear that the first episode of the season for Angel and Smallville are in fact on Wednesday.

Woot!

Cliffy
09-29-2003, 11:22 AM
I'm excited, but I've got to delay gratification a little bit. I came to Buffy late (just about a year ago) and so far have only seen the first Season of Angel. My S2 DVD's are winging their way to my house as we speak (I'll get them today if I'm lucky) and then I have to watch seasons 3 and 4. Fortunately, they're being syndicated on TBS (at 5:00 PM). So I'll watch S2 on DVD, I've got my TiVo set to record the syndie version starting with S3, and my VCR set to tape the new episodes weekly -- which I won't watch until I get caught up. So I'll catch you guys in about 4 months!

--Cliffy

Charlie Tan
09-29-2003, 11:45 AM
What I hope, is that it doesn't revert back to a show with Monster of the Week™. I'm also hoping for a nice new female, since the show is quite studly. I wish they could work Alyson Hannigan in there some way. Harmony is vapid and Fred is anemic, so not much eye candy for me.

Aries28
09-29-2003, 01:21 PM
Boy am I glad I saw this thread....for some reason I thought Angel didn't premier until 10/9.

I am VERY excited Spike will be on this season but I agree they need a new strong female character.

Harmony? Blech.

zamboniracer
09-29-2003, 01:41 PM
I am excited but wary about the new season, because of the "too much Spike didn't quite ruin, but didn't improve the quality of Buffy's show either" factor. I'm looking forward to seeing good ol' Krevlornswath of the Deathwok clan again.

kasuo
09-29-2003, 02:21 PM
Now Angel is going to be on TNT at 5pm PST weekdays starting today as well as on the local UPN affiliate (at least here in L.A.) at 5pm and 11:30pm on Sunday nights.

So much Angel, so little time.

Beadalin
09-29-2003, 03:48 PM
Didn't Harmony get dusted? How are they going to bring her back?

Or was her dusting just fervent wishful thinking on my part?

petelin
09-29-2003, 04:04 PM
I can't wait. For some reason, I never got as hooked on Angel as I was on Buffy until now. (I'm currently tearing through S1 and S2 on DVD). I'm looking forward to Spike's return, as well as seeing Fred. Yum.

I don't mind the monster of the week, as long as the characters grow. S1 was pretty much monster of the week, and I enjoyed that thoroughly.

joshmaker
09-29-2003, 04:08 PM
Can not wait for the new season of Angel.
Seeing as this season will have to make up for both Buffy and Firefly, it had better be good 'cause the monkey on my back is given my trouble an I really need my Whedonverse fix!

Originally posted by Telemark
I wasn't nearly as happy as The Gaspode with last season. Instead of an all-encompassing arc I saw a bunch of ideas that were pushed into a single storyline but never meshed.
The story was interesting, but not very internally consistent.Well, it is true that consistency of the story arc was not last season's strong point. But what it lacked in coherence it made up for in intensity! The plot twists and action kept me on the edge of my seat, the acting and special effects were superb, the action was great with plenty of wire-foo and slow-motion (hey; it may be cheesy but it makes me happy), the monsters were above average and as far as I am concerned Angelus is the ultimate Angel villain.

I hope that Angel does not become too light and silly -- I often find Angel to be at it's most compelling when it is at it's darkest. I also love shows with big story arcs; Babylon 5, Buffy, etc, so even if the season is not as arc intensive as last season, hopefully it will have *at least a little* story arc to it. That and lots of slow-motion effects.

Luckily I have faith in team Mutant Enemy.

Orbifold
09-29-2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Beadalin
Didn't Harmony get dusted? How are they going to bring her back?

Or was her dusting just fervent wishful thinking on my part?

Just wishful thinking on your part. In her last appearance (on Angel) Cordy let her walk.

pepperlandgirl
09-29-2003, 04:49 PM
I'm excited about the entire season because I've seen the first two episodes and something...odd...happened. I didn't want to scream at the tv "DIE ANGEL DIE" during the first episode, and by the end of the second episode, I actually, kinda, sorta, liked him
*ahem*
It's disconcerting.

jeevmon
09-29-2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Otto
If the show becomes All About Spike and thrives, then making it All About Spike was the right move. If it becomes All About Spike and founders, then it was thr wrong move and can be corrected. I think it's bizarre to make assumptions based on nothing more than the fact that an actor is joining the cast.

The assumptions arise in part because the last two seasons of "Buffy" were very Spike-centric, and people viewed those seasons (with some justification) as creatively weaker than the five that preceded them. There's a Salon (http://archive.salon.com/ent/feature/2003/05/13/spike_buffy/) article that addresses this issue, comparing Spike to the Fonz on "Happy Days."

I agree that it's premature to judge, but the people making the judgments aren't entirely unjustified in their fear. I think the fact that Marti Noxon, AFAIK, has no involvement whatsoever in "Angel" is a big help. Plus, "Angel" is David Boreanaz (and, to a lesser extent, Alexis Denisof's) show now. I do worry that with Spike joining the cast, Denisof, who, IMHO, gave the strongest performance of any of the actors on either show for the last two years, will be marginalized in favor of Spike, and we'll see even less of the potentially interesting but chronically underused Gunn.

AuntiePam
09-29-2003, 07:04 PM
I couldn't get to that WB link.

Someone told me that the first four episodes of this season's Angel are repeats of the last four eps of last season.

So that's not true? New shows, right off the bat? (Oooh, a pun.)

I need to figure out where it's gonna be, because we have DirecTV now, and there's no UPN or The WB in the channel listings. And we signed up for the whole schmear. Wonder where the hell it's at.

PunditLisa
09-29-2003, 07:59 PM
Glad that the premier is this week. The only other show I watch these days is Survivor. Am also reticent about Marsters joining the cast and causing an imbalance in the show. Too many chiefs and no indians sort of thing.

Looking forward to dynamics with Angel/Spike/Buffy during sweeps time. :)

elfkin477
09-29-2003, 08:30 PM
I'm looking forward to it, but I only found out for sure about 3 weeks ago that Cordy isn't going to be in it any more. (geez, no Cordy, no Lilah, no detective Lockheart...they need more strong female characters asap!) I'm bummed about that, since she was the main reason I started watching the show in the first place, and still one of my favorite characters when I started watching it again last summer. Oh well... at least I'll see her weekdays as I catch up on the rest of season 2 and most of season three on TNT.

What was up with that cryptic TV Guide article in which Joss sort of implied he still has more ideas for Cordy and Connor? Possible cameos?

The Asbestos Mango
09-29-2003, 10:04 PM
I for one am looking forward to seeing both Spike and Harmony. I'm wondering if Harmony will try to, um, rekindle their relationship. That would be hilarious. I'm also hoping to see a Spike/Fred romance (if I can't have Spillow, I'll settle for Spinnifred.)

I don't think it's going to become All. About. Spike, but I do think that somewhere around midseason, there will need to be a 3-4 episode Spike centered story arc. You can't bring a character back from the dead and just push him off into a corner.

I got hooked on the show last season, and I too am hoping it won't turn into an MOTW series. I think several interlaced 3-4 ep arcs would work, with one arc picking up while another is winding down to keep the suspense going, plus the occasional knockout stand-alone.

And please, please, please Joss, don't bring the First into the show. Ever.

kung fu lola
09-29-2003, 10:54 PM
**dancing** Shanshu! Shanshu for Spike!

It will be interesting to see how Shanshu will change Spike, and how Angel will react to Spike, of all people, attaining Shanshu before he had the chance to.

DocCathode
09-30-2003, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by kung fu lola
**dancing** Shanshu! Shanshu for Spike!

I strongly recommend against dancing in shanshoes, you'll scuff the hell out of the floor.

More Harmony? Why? Why?

The only interesting thing that they could do with Harmony is have her realize her limitations. She gives up on the idea of having minions or being a dark power. Instead, she settles into the role of undead bottle blonde.

Is it definite that Spike has become human again as opposed to Spike the cockney ghost?

Is it true that the mysterious panther from last season's finale claimed Gunn's soul in exchange for air conditioning?

MrMyth
09-30-2003, 10:29 AM
I'm not too worried about Spike joining the cast. Every ex-Buffy cast member on the show has been markedly improved by the Angel writers. Now unless they're under an edict for more Spike, I don't see that track record faltering.
I'm a bit worried about Harm, but Wesley was just as one-noted on Buffy, and look at him now. Maybe the demon inhabiting the body finally found a way to get rid of the human Harmony influences.

God, I hope so.

CadburyAngel
09-30-2003, 12:26 PM
I have high hopes for Spike's handling on this show as opposed to Buffy, mainly based on how well the writers managed Willow's character during her brief appearance. This creative team has a good record of taking characters that were not intended to be primary protagonists and making them worth caring about.

Judith Prietht
09-30-2003, 12:58 PM
This might be delving a little more into actual plot, but another reason I'm excited is that to me Wolfram & Hart seems to have endless Big Bad potential.

I also hold out hope Gavin can make a cameo. Somehow. Somewhere.

kasuo
09-30-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by DocCathode
Is it true that the mysterious panther from last season's finale claimed Gunn's soul in exchange for air conditioning?

That and basic cable.

Ironically, no SpikeTV channel.

Charlie Tan
09-30-2003, 03:49 PM
Just a quick note re: Harmony. I just watched the workprint and you guys can curb your fears. It actually works.

If Pepperlandgirl doesn't beat me to it, I'll start a new thread tomorrow. I just have to watch e4pisode 2 first, and then it's sack time. It's really looking good so far.

Miller
09-30-2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by AuntiePam
Someone told me that the first four episodes of this season's Angel are repeats of the last four eps of last season.

Well, then they wouldn't exactly be the first four episodes of this season, would they? ;) I think what your friend meant was that, before the premiere of the new season, they've been re-running the last four episodes from last season.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.