PDA

View Full Version : garfunkelling

Ex Machina
12-03-2003, 01:02 PM
I am trying to get this word into general use.

garfunkel tr.v. 1. To abandon a (less talented or popular) partner or associates in order to pursue a more lucrative career.

Based loosely on the relationship of Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel, the verb would apply, e.g., to the garfunkeling of the other guy in Wham! by George Michael or the way that Tom Hanks garfunkeled whatshisname from Bosom Buddies.

Maybe it would eventually be shortened to funkeled or even funked. As in "Hey, that blonde guy from 'Bill and Ted's excellent adventure really got funked by Keanu Reeves, didn't he?"

I think it has a practical potential. Does anybody else know a good example of "garfunkeling"?

dwc1970
12-03-2003, 01:24 PM
Only two that I can think of right off:

Sears/Roebuck
Mark Goodson/Bill Toddman (game shows)

Notice how the person who gets second billing tends to be the one who is "garfunkeled?"

Oh, and welcome to the SDMB! (I realize I may be a little late on this.)

lieu
12-03-2003, 01:31 PM
I guess you could say that Cheech garfunkeled Chong, although much of Tommy's demise was of his own making.

The entire Rat Pack garfunkeled Peter Lawford.

Chefguy
12-03-2003, 01:36 PM
Too late! (http://lyricsplayground.com/alpha/songs/a/asimpledesultoryphilippic.html). Paul Simon beat you too it in "A Simple Desultory Phillipic".

Chefguy
12-03-2003, 01:38 PM
Oh crap! I can not believe I misspelled "to". By the way, see the last verse of the song for the "Garfunkled" reference.

Genghis Bob
12-03-2003, 01:39 PM
Don't go hanging Scolari's career on Tom Hanks, now. Scolari did show up again on Bob Newhart's show, for a while.

Besides, they weren't exactly a team on Bosom Buddies - more like co-workers. Tom's not responsbile for Peter's career after the gig was over (notice how I'm on a first-name basis with both of them? Yeah, we're tight. Real tight).

Gatopescado
12-03-2003, 01:54 PM
Sting garfunkled those other 2 guys in "The Police". Janis Joplin garfunkled "Big Brother". Hey, this is kinda fun! :D

[b]Baddest garfunkle of all time![/i]

The garfunkle of Pete Best.

Yeah, this has some serious potential!

Gatopescado
12-03-2003, 01:57 PM
[b]Gatopescado[/i], you code like an asshole! Paris Hilton could probably code better than you, and look better doing it!

I slay myself! ;)

Scarlett67
12-03-2003, 02:18 PM
I think we can say that Tina garfunkeled Ike.

Ferret Herder
12-03-2003, 02:41 PM
So did Paris Hilton garfunkel her sister, or is her sis better off without the resulting infamy?

Chefguy
12-03-2003, 03:47 PM
Jerry Lewis garfunkeled Dean Martin, then had it backfire. Would that be a "funkelgarf" or a "fargunkel"?

lieu
12-03-2003, 03:55 PM
Michael pretty much garfunkeled the Jackson Four.

Dolores Reborn
12-03-2003, 04:20 PM
It seems to me Cher garfunkeled Sonny.

An Arky
12-03-2003, 04:22 PM
Paul Weller Garfunkled Bruce Foxton and Rick Buckler, but managed to Garfunkel himself in the process, sort of.

Gloria Estefan Garfunkled the Miami Sound Machine...

The Gin Blossoms Garfunkled the guy who wrote their hits.

Jeez, it's a regular sidekick scuttling extravaganza!

torie
12-03-2003, 04:29 PM
Mr. Torie mentioned the garfunkeling of DJ Jazzy Jeff by Will Smith.

Justin Timberlake Garfunkled N'Sync

Mike Myers garfunkled Dana Carvey

Kermit Garfunkled the Muppets :)

torie
12-03-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by An Arky
The Gin Blossoms Garfunkled the guy who wrote their hits.

Didn't the guy who wrote their hits kill himself shortly before that album came out????

torie
12-03-2003, 04:37 PM
Ok he was evidently garfunkled before he killed himself.....

[B]Unfortunately, Doug’s tale doesn’t have the same storybook ending. The split with the GBs was very public and very painful, and drew a lot of attention back in Arizona. Doug, Lawrence Zubia and Mark Zubia started another band, The Chimeras, but Doug was still fighting his alcoholism and depression. In December of 1993, he committed suicide. His death was mourned deeply in the Tempe music community, where he was well-known and well-respected.[B]

Here's the link........http://www.ginblossoms.info/biography.html

Ponder Stibbons
12-03-2003, 04:57 PM
Would it be tacky to say that Roy Horn (sp?) was garfunkeled by his own tiger?

Chefguy
12-03-2003, 06:54 PM
Judas garfunkeled Jesus. What a great bumper sticker.

Ex Machina
12-04-2003, 09:48 AM
If there is a reunion, would the originally garfunkeled party be "unfunkeled"? Or defunkeled?

What if a garfunkeled person turns their career around and becomes an even greater star than the garfunkeler? Has there ever been a case of "outfunkeling"?

Bad News Baboon
12-04-2003, 10:43 AM
I dunno. I think that the term Garfunkeling should be as follows:

garfunkel tr.v. 1. To abandon a (less talented or popular) partner or associates in order to pursue a more lucrative career, wherein the less talented partner ends up more successful.

Second Guest
12-04-2003, 11:38 AM
Daryl Hall garfunkeled John Oates (But then didn't he recently refunkel him...?)

sperfur
12-04-2003, 12:18 PM
Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons garfunkled Peter Criss and Ace Frehley. Then Vinnie Vincent, then Mark St. John.

Then they garfunkled Bruce Kulick and Eric Singer and refunkled Ace and Peter.

That is once funkled up band.

Chefguy
12-04-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Ex Machina

What if a garfunkeled person turns their career around and becomes an even greater star than the garfunkeler? Has there ever been a case of "outfunkeling"?

What, you didn't like my suggestion above for "fargunkeled"? Also, see my example of Judas and Jesus for "outfunkeling".

Ex Machina
12-04-2003, 12:38 PM
I think Lenny garfunkeled Squiggy.

Chefguy, the way I see it, Judas garfunkeled the other Apostles, then Jesus outfunkeled Judas.

Imagine the phonetic possibilties if there was a garfunkel involved in the relationship between Funk and Wagnall.

bayonet1976
12-04-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by An Arky
Gloria Estefan Garfunkled the Miami Sound Machine...

Not quite. Gloria Estefan was the lead singer for Miami Sound Machine, a group that her husband Emilio Estefan had started as the Miami Latin Boys. Although they'd had a number of minor hits in Latin America their big cross over hit was the Primitive Love album, which included the song Conga. At that point Emilio noticing a marketing opportunity, decided to rename the group as Gloria Estefan and the Miami Sound Machine, which was shortly changed to drop the name of the band. The actual band however remained. So if anything, only the name got garfunkled.

Satisfying Andy Licious
12-04-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Chefguy
Judas garfunkeled Jesus. What a great bumper sticker.
I don't think Judas caused Jesus to commit career suicide.

thirdwarning
12-05-2003, 12:13 AM
I would think that Diana Ross garfunkeled the Supremes. In stages, of course.

I can't believe that's butter!
12-05-2003, 12:16 AM
It could be argued that NYPD Blue was ultimately outfunkled with the leaving of David Caruso; a "clusterfunkel", if you will. Wings was also clusterfunkeled by Paul McCartney.

Russ Kunkel is sure to have clusterfunkeled whatever band he was with before pursuing his awesome session drumming career.

it'sjustme
12-05-2003, 12:28 AM
I hate the fact that the only example that I can think of right now is that Ricky Martin garfunkeled Menudo. Gosh does that ever make me look like a fool!:smack:
But, dang it, if that's the only way to get in the game--then count me a fool!:D

MonkeyMule
12-05-2003, 02:27 AM
No, it just means you play to close atintion to Ricky Martian. ANd if you aren't a 12 year old girl stuck in and 1999 time warp, that's just not cool.

yawndave
12-06-2003, 12:07 PM
How about Danny Elfman /Oingo Boingo ?

Dutch George
12-06-2003, 12:16 PM
I presume Bill and Hillary are taking turns at Garfunkling? Still watching this space...

Gail
12-06-2003, 06:25 PM
Seems to be the Saturday Night Live cast is famous for garfunkeling. Eddie Murphy garfunkelled them in the 80's and Will Ferrell has garfunkelled them recently.

Dread Pirate Danno
12-06-2003, 07:55 PM
John Travolta garfunkelled the sweathogs.

Geez, am I that old??? :eek:

quiltguy154
12-06-2003, 09:17 PM
Roseanne garfunkeled Tom What's-his-name. She did it so well, I can't remember his last name. Totalgarfunkeling! Quick, notify the OED.

DadWagonDriver
12-06-2003, 10:30 PM
I garfunkeled your mother, Trebek!

Yep, SNL already beat you to it.

Inky-
12-06-2003, 10:54 PM
Hmmm... Good word! Though wouldn't it be more appropriate to say somebody had been "Garfunked-over". As in : "Man Will Smith sure did Garfunk-over poor Jazzy Jeff -- oh, and while we're at it could you super size it Jazzy Jeff?".

Capt B. Phart
12-07-2003, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by lieu
Michael pretty much garfunkeled the Jackson Four.

He's been gradually garfunkeling himself too - pigment, nose, reputation, soul, talent - all 'funkeled to buggery.

Sternvogel
12-07-2003, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by quiltguy154
Roseanne garfunkeled Tom What's-his-name. She did it so well, I can't remember his last name.

Arnold.

Jim Dougherty (http://www.marilynsman.com/story.html) was obviously garfunkeled by Norma Jean and/or "the Hollywood moguls" who "threatened her, and beguiled her into leaving" the man she married before she became Marilyn Monroe.

Ex Machina
12-07-2003, 08:56 AM
I think Al Franken Garfunkeled Davis.

Gail is right about Saturday Night Live. Beginning with Chevy Chase they have established a tradition of garfunkelling. Maybe it is a subliminal phenomenon that they had Paul Simon as a guest-host so often.

Rysdad
12-07-2003, 10:58 AM
If you can gang-garfunkel, Bon Jovi did it.

Chefguy
12-07-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Satisfying Andy Licious
I don't think Judas caused Jesus to commit career suicide.

By the OP's definition, however, Judas abandoned him (ratted him out to Pilate) to pursue a more lucrative career (30 pieces of silver). It backfired, of course, with the whole messy death and christianity thingy, so Jesus ended up outfunkeling Judas. :)

merrily
12-07-2003, 01:40 PM
And, um, I think Paul Simon has done pretty well on his own. So maybe the verb isn't quite right.

Ex Machina
12-07-2003, 03:31 PM
To garfunkel someone means, essentially, to "make an Art Garfunkel" out of that person or persons. It means (definition still in progress) to achieve a degree of success based on a partnership or teamwork, and then to abandon the team when greater opportunities present themselves, as when a solo career appears more lucrative.

Simon garfunkelled Garfunkel. This means that they split up after achieving fame as Simon and Garfunkel (originally Tom and Jerry, I believe) and Simon launched a successful solo career, leaving Garfunkel to look like a doofus failure. Part of the phenomenon of garfunkelling might be that the garfunkeled partner is left looking like they had ridden to fame on the garfunkeler's coattails.

Remember that this is a loose definition and all suggestions are welcome.

John Lennon and Paul McCartney garfunkeled Ringo Starr and George Harrison?

Governor Quinn
12-07-2003, 03:57 PM
No, George Harrison had a career. It's Ringo that was garfunkeled- and that didn't become clear until the late 1970's.

MonkeyMule
12-07-2003, 05:24 PM
While that is true, it see Ringo might have the last last. He's still alive. You hear that Paul? Watch your back, ringo's a'comin!

MonkeyMule
12-07-2003, 05:25 PM
Last laugh, not last last. I'm an idiot, I know.

imthjckaz
12-07-2003, 05:54 PM
Eddie and Alex garfunkled David Lee, Sammy and that other guy, who wasn't even around long enough for anybody to remember his name.

Gary, maybe.

My memory isn't that extreme.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.