PDA

View Full Version : Song's Ruined by a person that you know.

Nobody
12-16-2003, 10:46 AM
Quiet a few songs mention people by name. Have you ever liked such a song, then met a person with that name that you ended up not liking, then, when you hear the song, it makes you think of them so you can't quiet enjoy it as much?

For me, the song is Heartbeat City by the cars. In it the name Jackie is mentioned. I've worked with a Jackie for over 8 years now. It's only been about the past month to a month and a half that we've been getting along, but even so, I'm still not that fond of her. So any time I hear that song, I think of her, and it kind of ruins it for me. Or at least I can't enjoy the song as well as I use to.

Nobody
12-16-2003, 10:49 AM
In the title, I put song(s) but it got converted to song's. Weird.

Doomtrain
12-16-2003, 11:04 AM
I went to college (the first time!) with a guy who was a huge fan of Rush (no, not Coldie). Unfortunately, he was a huge ass and I couldn't listen to Rush for a couple years without grimacing and changing the station.

DeVena
12-16-2003, 12:13 PM
Melissa by the Allman Brothers

Wonderful wonderful song - LOVED it for years then I worked with the world's whiniest bitchtm who just happened to have that name. I cringe at the song now.

Baggins111
12-16-2003, 04:02 PM
Sweet Melissa by Allman Brothers. My ex wife (may she burn in the fires of hell) was named Melissa. This was the song we danced to at out wedding reception. I can't hear it without thinking of her. Sweet Melissa my ass! Cheatin' little...

I'll behave.

Earthworm Jim
12-16-2003, 04:14 PM
Yo! I lived next door to a guy who's ex-wife is named Melissa1. She was all right when I met her, but things went downhill...

Lisa-go-Blind
12-16-2003, 05:03 PM
Any song with the name "Sally" in it. (Shudder.)

Baggins111
12-16-2003, 06:46 PM
Beelzebubba I'd say you might know her, but we lived in the country and don't have neighbors. Well, there's Bart through the woods...

syncrolecyne
12-16-2003, 07:01 PM
"Feel Like Making Love" by Bad Company, and now Kid Rock.

I used to go to a bar, and sometimes I'd see the skankiest couple in history there. I felt obliged to say hello to them when they were in because he worked with my dad for many years. He had dumped his perfectly nice wife for a bar slut.

Anyway one night, that song came on the jukebox. He grabbed her stretch-pants clad ass as she cooed "that's our song".

Every since I cannot hear that riff and not hold back vomit.

SPOOFE
12-16-2003, 07:17 PM
Hmm... the only time a song's been "ruined" by someone I know was because of one loud idiot that insisted on singing them at every single fucking opportunity. I'm talking about every single song by Tenacious D, here. Christ, how many fucking times can you get stoned and sing Tribute a capella?

Alias
12-16-2003, 07:30 PM
Many songs (and sometimes entire albums) have been ruined for me by a friend who plays everything to death, singing along (badly) all the while.

No problems with names in songs though.

Guinastasia
12-17-2003, 12:47 AM
I cannot listen to Aerosmith anymore-especially the song from Armageddon.

A friend of mine who turned stalker was a huge Aerosmith fan and that song came out right around the time this was happening, and so whenever I hear that song, it reminds me of him and I get really freaking creeped out!

Marley23
12-17-2003, 12:59 AM
Wow, too Melissa ruinings in a row. That sucks. :( And what are the odds of that?

Not sure I've really had a song ruined for me that way. My first girlfriend was definitely the song ruining type, but I don't know any songs with her name in them. There was a song she insisted was "our song," but she didn't ruin it- because I hated it anyway. :p

I cannot listen to Aerosmith anymore-especially the song from Armageddon.
Same for me, Guin, but I couldn't listen to that awful song in the first place. :p

Sweetums
12-17-2003, 09:10 AM
I used to game with people who were fans of "They Might be Giants". For when the album "Apollo 18" came out, the guy who owned the CD player felt the need to play it from beging to end, over and over, every session.

It drove me bats, to this day the song "Dinner Bell" occasionally pops into my head with little to no provication. I was a fan of TMBG before this, now they just make me ill.

saramamalana
12-17-2003, 01:37 PM
My name being Sara, people always think it's really cute to sing "Sara" by Starship AT me. Hasn't happened in a few years but I promise you, it's not amusing.

The whole album of Kid A by Radiohead was ruined for me when my best friend told me she and her bf (with whom I was also friends) used it for sex music. I really don't think I've listened to it since.

Doomtrain
12-17-2003, 03:46 PM
You know, all the Melissas I've known have been psychos, too.

Lisa-go-Blind
12-17-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Lisa-go-Blind
Any song with the name "Sally" in it. (Shudder.)

I think I should clarify this: my name is Sally. Please do not sing "Mustang Sally" or "Sally Can't Dance" or "Sneaking Sally Through the Alley" any other song that has the name "Sally" in it.

*My grandparents calls me "Long Tall Sally," but that is all.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.