PDA

View Full Version : Actors who have been scared by their own films

BarnOwl
12-25-2003, 08:58 AM
I saw Janet Leigh interviewed on TV many years ago.

She starred in "Psycho" and went through the production of it without any touble at all.
But after seeing the final product, she could no longer take a shower (at least up until the time of the interview). Had to be a bath, and no doubt the door had to be locked.

So I wonder if anyone has heard about other actors being spooked by their roles - or even that of a co-actor's role.

And what about child actors?

How are their psyches protected in films that deal with extreme violence, eerieness, and so on?

Lumpy
12-25-2003, 10:13 AM
Well, I'm certain any number of actors have been mortified after seeing the final cut, but that's not quite the same thing. :D

ShibbOleth
12-25-2003, 10:42 AM
I don't know how much it scared them, but there were a lot of strange coincidences that cropped up after Poltergeist, including the deaths of two of the young stars. Sort of things that E! True Hollywood Story thrives on, you know.

MLS
12-25-2003, 10:58 AM
Sigourney Weaver reportedly went to see the first "Alien" movie a significant time after she'd been in it and reported that she was terrified.

BarnOwl
12-25-2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Lumpy
Well, I'm certain any number of actors have been mortified after seeing the final cut, but that's not quite the same thing. :D

No argument, Lumpy.

Back in the early 40's, The Pride of the Yankees came out, and I was only 8 or 9, but I watched it, profoundly embarrassed for Gary Cooper.

It was so obvious that Cooper was no athlete. What's worse, here he was portraying Lou Gehrig, the Yankees' Hall of Fame Iron Man, but this actor threw like a girl, swung a bat like a quadraplegic and spoke his lines like a wooden Indian.

I wonder if he ever learned how to use his voice properly. It's been a long, long time since I saw it, but I'd bet the farm his delivery in High Noon was just as bad.

But all this is a hijack.

Hail Ants
12-25-2003, 02:31 PM
Sigourney Weaver reportedly went to see the first "Alien" movie a significant time after she'd been in it and reported that she was terrified.Carrie Henn, the little girl who played Newt in the 2nd film Aliens, said that making that movie was not the least bit scary. The aliens were just guys in suits that she'd be talking to and playing around with right before each shot.

She said she was amazed at how scary the actual movie turned out to be (and I don't think they let her see it until she was older).

RadioOrange
12-25-2003, 04:43 PM
Slightly offtopic. I read that Stephen King isn't afraid of his monsters, probably because his behind the stories. But the dead-lady-in-bathtub in The Shining creeped him out.

Speaker for the Dead
12-25-2003, 04:46 PM
The star of A Clockwork Orange said that one night after he'd watched it, he saw his reflection in a window and scared himself half to death.

Sorry, no cite.

stockton
12-25-2003, 07:51 PM
Not a hijack, but a detour -

Sir Anthony Hopkins was in Atlanta filming Freejack with Mick Jagger and Emilio Estevez when 'Silence of the Lambs' came out.

According to the local rag, he surreptitiously popped into a local mall theater (Lenox) to see the final version.

Everything was fine until the movie ended and the house lights came up. The three women seated in front of him got up leave and turned around to see Hannibal Lecter sitting behind them. Much screeching and fainting ensued.

I think I would have fainted or pissed myself, given the circumstances.

Patr100
12-25-2003, 08:10 PM
Not an actor but DIrector. Stanley Kubrick withdrew "A Clockwork Orange" from cinemas in the UK after it had initially been released due to death threats he had received after it had been reported by the press where young thugs were alledgedly influenced by the film.
Until a couple of years ago the only way we could see it in the UK was on pirate video or go over to France.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/2289597.stm

Master Wang-Ka
12-25-2003, 08:21 PM
Stockton: A very similar story is told about Vincent Price. Supposedly, he was in London, filming something, and happened to see "House Of Wax" showing at a neighborhood theatre, and he hadn't seen the theatrical cut yet, so he stopped and bought a ticket.

He had a fine time watching the movie, but was greatly amused by two teenage girls sitting in the row in front of him, who were also having a good time, laughing at the funny parts, ooohing and aaahing at the appropriate points, and shrieking at the scary parts.

After the movie, the lights came up, and Price leaned forward, between the two girls. "So," he remarked, "did you LIKE it...?"

I seem to remember reading this story in a magazine article, in which Price himself told the story. Couldn't cite it, now, though...

John Kentzel-Griffin
12-26-2003, 02:31 AM
Off to Cafe Society.

DrMatrix - GQ Moderator

Silver Serpentine
12-26-2003, 09:02 AM
I heard that What's-her-face in Silence of the Lambs (I completely forgot her name) was so frightened by it that she refused to do the sequel. Dunno if it's true or not.

Agrippina
12-26-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by stockton
Everything was fine until the movie ended and the house lights came up. The three women seated in front of him got up leave and turned around to see Hannibal Lecter sitting behind them. Much screeching and fainting ensued.

I think I would have fainted or pissed myself, given the circumstances.

There's also a story shortly after Hannibal was released where Hopkins was in an elevator and a little boy and his mother entered. Needless to say, he scared the little boy half to death. Of course you needn't see Hannibal or Silence of the Lambs to know who Hannibal Lecter was, though.

Stephen King jumped out of his seat at the ending of Carrie. I believe he's said that the movie was far scarier than the book.

BarnOwl
12-26-2003, 09:44 AM
Psycho the movie was infinitely scarier than the book.

It's been many, any years, but I think if you read it (in less than an hour and a half), you'll find the shower scene almost a total zero. Rips open curtain, lops off head. End of scene.

Hitchcock must have looked at the page and lamented the writer's lack of talent for terror.

Avalonian
12-26-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by AnimistDragon
I heard that What's-her-face in Silence of the Lambs (I completely forgot her name) was so frightened by it that she refused to do the sequel. Dunno if it's true or not.

Not (http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,5561,00.html). At least, not the part about being too scared to do a sequel.

"I stand to make more money doing that sequel than I've ever made in my life," she tells the fashion mag of the project simply dubbed Hannibal. "But who cares, if it betrays Clarice--who is a person, in some strange way, to me."

In Hannibal, Clarice sheds her idealism and eventually hooks up (and dines) with Hannibal Lecter, the crazy cannibal she investigated in Silence of the Lambs. At least that's the way things went down in author Thomas Harris' best-selling novel of the same name that hit bookstores this past summer. (Harris also wrote the book on which the original Lambs was based.)

"The movie worked because people believed in her heroism," the 37-year-old Foster tells W. "I won't play her with negative attributes she'd never have."

I completely agree with her take on it... I don't know if she was scared by the first one, though.

Originally posted by AnimistDragon
Slightly offtopic. I read that Stephen King isn't afraid of his monsters, probably because his behind the stories. But the dead-lady-in-bathtub in The Shining creeped him out.

Stephen King isn't afraid of most of his monsters, as I understand it, but I've read interviews in which he states he never wants to re-read Pet Sematary because it's too scary for him. No cite on that that I can find, but I remember hearing/reading it from him more than once...

MidnightRadio
12-31-2003, 03:32 AM
I remember reading somewhere that Samantha Eggar had nightmares during the filming of The Brood. I thought I read it on the film's IMDB trivia page, but when I tried to look it up to confirm it just now, I found that The Brood doesn't have an IMDB trivia page. Oh, well.

lee
12-31-2003, 08:42 AM
According to Burt Reynolds, Ned Beatty was scared by Deliverance.

Earthworm Jim
12-31-2003, 01:24 PM
The DVD commentary says the cast didn't know exactly what was going to happen during the chest-bursting scene in Alien. So the scream from Veronica Cartwright is genuine fear, disgust, etc.

TJdude825
01-01-2004, 06:45 AM
I heard that Haley Joel Osment wasn't allowed to watch certain parts of The Sixth Sense that were too gory for him at that age.

Like the people that were dead and covered in blood. Which is ironic because his character was supposed to be the only one who could see them. (On second thought, perhaps that didn't really require a spoiler box...)

I don't know how old he was when he did see those parts, or if they scared him .

Miller
01-01-2004, 07:00 AM
Some what similar to the Hopkins/Price stories, but totally off-topic to the OP:

I saw Joe Mantegna on Conan O'Brian once, and he described this time he went out to the movies. As it happened, he was in three of the movies whose trailers ran before the feature started. After the third one, the guy sitting in front of him turned to his wife and said, "Jesus, is Joe Mantegna everywhere?" So Joe leaned forward and whispered in the guy's ear, "You got a problem with that?"

Superdude
01-01-2004, 11:55 AM
Another Stephen King factoid (no cite to support it, though, so take it with a grain of salt):

During the writing of It, I've heard that he had to stop writing for a while because it was scaring the hell out of him.

Roadwalker
01-01-2004, 04:47 PM
I saw an interview with Vernon Wells who played the scarry mohawked Wez in The Road Warrior .
He meekly told the story of the first time he saw himself in a mirror woth full costume and makeup he scared himself.

Blackeyes
01-02-2004, 02:35 AM
According to IMDB, the kid in The Shining wasn't allowed to know he was in a horror movie.

:goes to cite:
Because Danny Lloyd was so young and since it was his first acting job, Stanley Kubrick was highly protective of the child. Through clever and creative directing, Danny didn't know he was working on a horror movie until after it was released.http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081505/trivia

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.