PDA

View Full Version : Queen's "You're My Best Friend" as TV theme song?

DropOfaHat
05-04-2000, 01:32 PM
Anybody know if Queen's classic song "You're my best friend" was ever a TV theme song?? My wife swears it was, but all my internet searches (of "TV Show Theme Song" sites) have been fruitless.

Here are pieces of what my wife remembers:

It was either from the late seventies or early eighties;
Kids on bikes, possibly by water or near a NY City bridge;
Either David and/or Meredith Baxter Birney (one or both?) might have been in it;
If David Birney was in it, he might have been a cab driver.

And that's it.

Now, I happen to have two theories:
1.) The theme song for "The Courtship Of Eddie's Father" sounds sort of similar, and certainly has a similar catch phrase ("He's my best friend") - perhaps she confused the two in her memory (she insists that she remembers that as a completely separate song)
2.) There WAS a show I believe starring the Birneys ("Bernie Loves so-n-so"? I forgot her character's name), and he may have been a cabdriver, but Queen's song certainly WASN'T the theme song - again, maybe just confusion on my wife's part...

She offers as "proof" that she recognized the song (and even some of the words) the first time I played it for her, but swears she never heard it on radio, record, tape etc - only on TV.

It's not a major issue (hence not bothering Cecil with it) - but can anyone help???

BobT
05-04-2000, 01:53 PM
Doesn't sound familiar to me. "The Courtship of Eddie's Father" theme was performed by Harry Nilsson.

"Bridget Loves Bernie" had an instrumental theme IIRC. I think it was also on TV before Queen became famous. It aired in 1972.

tanstaafl
05-04-2000, 02:07 PM
Bridgit Loves Bernie did star both Meridith and David Birney and he did play a cab driver in the series. But, as BobT says, this was in 1972. The IMDB doesn't list Queen as having anything to do with the soundtrack.

I did an IMDB search on Queen and came up empty. I tried Freddie Mercury and the only TV show listed for him is Highlander: The Series which a) is well after the time frame you gave and b) definately wasn't My Best Friend.

Is it possible your wife is remembering the music video for My Best Friend?

Smeghead
05-04-2000, 09:49 PM
I've heard it used on PBS during their self-promoting spots between shows.

Luckie
05-04-2000, 09:56 PM
i'm pretty sure they used that for "the golden girls"
-luckie

GuanoLad
05-04-2000, 10:09 PM
"Kids on bikes, possibly by water or near a NY City bridge;"

You're not thinking of Breaking Away here are you? About Shaun Cassidy as a racing cyclist wannabe, and his three Cutter friends who hang out at the waterhole. That was definitely about friendship, anyway.

BobT
05-05-2000, 01:06 AM
I never saw an episode of "Breaking Away" (and not many people did), but wouldn't it have used the same music from the film. That means there would have been classical music.

cornflakes
05-05-2000, 08:38 AM
This is a reach, but could you be thinking of Welcome Back, Kotter? The theme song is, of course, different, but it shares the same tempo, key and rhythm, and a lot of the flourishes and harmonies and stuff like that are similar to the ones in Queen's song.

DropOfaHat
05-05-2000, 08:53 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Now let's review:

I don't think my wife was thinking of "Welcome Back Kotter" (anyone else like John Sebastian better when he was singing about "summer in the city" and "what a day for a daydream"?), although Cornflakes you're right that there are similarities - but you were also right when you said it was a reach...

The Breaking Away theory is brand new to me, I'll have to look into it - thanks for the lead! (and my wife LOVED Sean Cassidy, so she may have seen the show if even if few others did.)

As for Golden Girls - another show my wife liked, but sorry, totally different song (although the catchphrase is "Thank You For Being A Friend", very similar.)

PBS in an interesting lead, certainly possible.

I still think she may have confused the theme song of "Courtship of eddie's father" (yes, by Nilsson) with the cast of "Bridget Loves Bernie" - but I don't think I'll ever find an answer for sure. But of course, you can't prove a negative...

Drago
12-19-2012, 09:14 AM
Ten years later, I think your hunch with the Courtship of Eddies father as the strongest lead and likelihood of the song and show your wife is recalling...

While I reacall it and saw it a number of times, I liked the song better than the show...

The one that came to mind first to me, was the Queen song, 'you're my best friend'...I recall it most fondly when played over forescreen passage of Sigmond and the Seamonsters with one of the boys on the beach...I've heard it used in background on other shows through the years, usually as a comedic attempt at making fun of unnatural love between two males...

Hope you found your answer before now; just wanted to comment.

bizerta
12-19-2012, 11:44 AM
in the final scene of the finale of "Will and Grace", the four principal characters are sitting at a bar with that song playing loudly as they drink. Fade to black.

cochrane
12-19-2012, 11:51 AM
Ten years later, I think your hunch with the Courtship of Eddies father as the strongest lead and likelihood of the song and show your wife is recalling...

While I reacall it and saw it a number of times, I liked the song better than the show...

The one that came to mind first to me, was the Queen song, 'you're my best friend'...I recall it most fondly when played over forescreen passage of Sigmond and the Seamonsters with one of the boys on the beach...I've heard it used in background on other shows through the years, usually as a comedic attempt at making fun of unnatural love between two males...

Hope you found your answer before now; just wanted to comment.

Since DropOfaHat hasn't been active in over four years, it's unlikely he'll be back to see this.

tallcoldone
12-19-2012, 11:53 AM
Golden Girls theme was a remake of "Thank You for Being a Friend", original by Andrew Gold. No idea about any show using Queen's song.

Colibri
12-19-2012, 12:27 PM
Moved to Cafe Society.

Please note that this thread was started more than 12 years ago.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

Moonlitherial
12-19-2012, 12:52 PM
Since DropOfaHat hasn't been active in over four years, it's unlikely he'll be back to see this.

Well that just shows a lack of dedication on his part. Is 12 years really so long to wait?

C. Montgomery Burns
12-19-2012, 07:10 PM
It was used in commercials a few years ago.

DL91709
04-13-2017, 12:37 AM
So 17 years later, I have the same question. I've never seen any of the shows above; so none of the shows above can be the answer.

My memories are that it's from a show in the late 70s or 80s (most likely the 80s).

I have a memories of either two guys or maybe a guy and a male child riding bikes, maybe visiting a carnival or a fair. A friend of mine had similar memories about the time and the bikes (we heard the song at a restaraunt). I hope nearly 20 years later an answer can be found.

Thanks !!

WOOKINPANUB
04-13-2017, 06:48 AM
I too can conjure up a hazy memory of this song playing in the background as a "friends" montage is shown. I'm picturing a boy riding a bike with his buddy on the handlebars.

Wiki lists these as containing the song:

Hot in Cleveland
Will & Grace
EastEnders,
My Name is Earl
The King of Queens
The Simpsons
Shaun of the Dead
The Secret Life of Pets

" . . . in addition to the promo for the American television adaption of Wilfred. It appears in a 2016 TV commercial for PetSmart."

The song is used a lot; kind of the go to song when they want to show us the depth (and the wacky side!) of characters' relationships. Could it be that the OPs wife heard the song so often in conjunction with these kinds of scenes that she mistakenly associated it with a particular show?

Czarcasm
04-13-2017, 10:08 AM
None of those shows are from the 70's or 80's, so I think we can toss them. I think the most likely answer is that, insistence aside, what we have here is a mistaken/conflated memory.

xizor
04-13-2017, 03:39 PM
The Wonder Years started in the late 80s, but was set in the 60s/70s.
The theme song was Joe Cocker's rendition of "With a Little Help from My Friends" while showing home movie footage of 2 brothers, it may or may not have shown them riding bikes, I don't recall.
No Birneys though.

Ike Witt
04-13-2017, 04:25 PM
I think the most likely answer is that, insistence aside, what we have here is a mistaken/conflated memory.

Can we please call it an example of the Mandela Effect?

voltaire
04-13-2017, 04:40 PM
The song is used a lot; kind of the go to song when they want to show us the depth (and the wacky side!) of characters' relationships. Could it be that the OPs wife heard the song so often in conjunction with these kinds of scenes that she mistakenly associated it with a particular show?
That's the most likely explanation, IMO. Any show doing a montage of how much fun two characters had together had about even odds of using that song. You can practically "remember" it being used for any two close characters of any show of the time period.

Czarcasm
04-13-2017, 04:51 PM
Or she heard it on the radio at some time (kind of heard to believe she hadn't, frankly).

Hedda Rosa
04-13-2017, 08:07 PM
I'm not having any luck tracking down a soundtrack for it, but I'm wondering about My Bodyguard (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081207/?ref_=ttsnd_snd_tt)

Or I was thinking Over The Edge (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Over_the_Edge_(film)) but it's not listed on that soundtrack.

FoieGrasIsEvil
04-16-2017, 06:32 AM
Would have been a cool theme song for "Bosom Buddies", rather than "My Life".

Maserschmidt
04-16-2017, 07:59 AM
When I saw the thread title I thought, "oh sure! it was used one of those 70s TV shows." But I can't actually pin down what that would've been, and after reading this thread I suspect I also have some conflation going on with "The Courtship of Eddie's Father."

DooWahDiddy
04-16-2017, 10:57 AM
Would have been a cool theme song for "Bosom Buddies", rather than "My Life".

I always wondered why they didn't just use "Bosom Buddies" from Mame.

QueenSong_EddiesFather
12-31-2017, 05:14 PM
I know for a fact that Queen's "Your my best friend" was used
as the theme for Eddie's father.

They replaced the Nilson song with Queen's song for a while (this was years back
in the Philadelphia area)

And I remember thinking "Wow they switched songs and are now using Queens song".
I also remember thinking "Wow, Queen must be in need of money to let them use the song"

My own opinion is that they used the song illegally thinking "people wouldn't catch on".
Or it was an honest mistake by some audio/visual tech at the studio.

But yes in Philadelphia Queen's song WAS used for a while for Eddies Father.

QueenSong_EddiesFather
12-31-2017, 05:18 PM
When I saw the thread title I thought, "oh sure! it was used one of those 70s TV shows." But I can't actually pin down what that would've been, and after reading this thread I suspect I also have some conflation going on with "The Courtship of Eddie's Father."

Queen's song was definitely used for a while as the theme song for
Eddie's father. They replaced the original theme with Queen's song.
At least in the Philadelphia area.

aceplace57
12-31-2017, 05:43 PM
The OP probably is remembering a song very familiar. But still different enough to avoid copyright suits.

I too, have a very strong memory of this song in a show's opening credits. It had to be a very similar song.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/You%27re_My_Best_Friend_(Queen_song)
The song was used in several TV shows and films such as Hot in Cleveland, Will & Grace, EastEnders, My Name is Earl, The King of Queens, the end credits of I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry, The Simpsons,Shaun of the Dead, Peter's Friends, and The Secret Life of Pets, in addition to the promo for the American television adaption of Wilfred. It appears in a 2016 TV commercial for PetSmart. The song was also covered in the television adaptation of School of Rock.

cochrane
12-31-2017, 07:07 PM
Queen's song was definitely used for a while as the theme song for
Eddie's father. They replaced the original theme with Queen's song.
At least in the Philadelphia area.

Highly, highly, highly, highly unlikely. The Courtship of Eddie's Father was on the air from 1969 - 1972. You're My Best Friend was released in 1976 on their album A Night at the Opera, four years after the TV show ended.

aceplace57
12-31-2017, 07:10 PM
I think he's referring to Syndication.

They may have substituted the music.

Seems unlikely, but I guess it's possible.

TBG
12-31-2017, 07:28 PM
AFV used it as the music for a montage of people hanging with their funny pooches. Not quite the same as a theme for a whole show, but it's my #1 association with the song.

Czarcasm
12-31-2017, 09:03 PM
I think he's referring to Syndication.

They may have substituted the music.

Seems unlikely, but I guess it's possible.If so, then they did it without permission-highly unlikely. Are there any references to this actually happening?

Czarcasm
12-31-2017, 09:11 PM
Why would one small market go through the trouble of pulling a syndicated show out of the line-up, redub the soundtrack at a not inconsiderable cost with music that isn't really associated with that market, then stick it back in the lineup, all without permission?

cochrane
12-31-2017, 09:49 PM
Bosom Buddies originally used a cover of Billy Joel's My Life as its theme. It was replaced in syndication by Shake Me Loose by Stephanie Mills. But that was nationwide, not just in one region. Not the same thing at all.

Czarcasm
01-01-2018, 06:42 AM
The audio to Queen's song does not match up to the video of COEF in any way shape or form. Try to make it fit.

Toxylon
01-01-2018, 07:29 AM
Highly, highly, highly, highly unlikely. The Courtship of Eddie's Father was on the air from 1969 - 1972. You're My Best Friend was released in 1976 on their album A Night at the Opera, four years after the TV show ended.

A Night at the Opera was released in Nov. 1975, not 1976.

cochrane
01-01-2018, 08:06 AM
A Night at the Opera was released in Nov. 1975, not 1976.

Close enough for rock 'n' roll. There is still a three year gap between the end of Courtship of Eddie's Father and the release of You're My Best Friend.

Quimby
01-01-2018, 08:48 AM
Why would one small market go through the trouble of pulling a syndicated show out of the line-up, redub the soundtrack at a not inconsiderable cost with music that isn't really associated with that market, then stick it back in the lineup, all without permission?

The station wouldn't have but a Syndicator might have. It plausible they purchased the rights to the song and it only aired in a few markets since it wasn't the most popular of shows. Maybe Queen sells the rights for cheaper than we expect?

Czarcasm
01-01-2018, 09:12 AM
The station wouldn't have but a Syndicator might have. It plausible they purchased the rights to the song and it only aired in a few markets since it wasn't the most popular of shows. Maybe Queen sells the rights for cheaper than we expect?That's a lot of "maybe" for which there is no evidence.
1. There is no money to be gained in this.
2. The show was very popular in syndication.
3. The music just doesn't fit the credits at all.

DrFidelius
01-01-2018, 09:34 AM
I can see a local station using the song in promos for the show.

Czarcasm
01-01-2018, 09:38 AM
I can see a local station using the song in promos for the show.I could, too-if it were shown to me. Otherwise, I really can't envision them spending the money when commercials are already provided by the syndicators(with spots to insert the local logo built in).

Czarcasm
01-01-2018, 09:53 AM
Harry Nilsson would have been pissed off-he got royalties when that show was aired because it was his music that opened the show.

It just didn't happen.

QueenSong_EddiesFather
01-01-2018, 10:28 PM

Yes it was used for the reruns.
I was too young when it first aired.
I watched the reruns after Queens song was out for many years.

Czarcasm
01-02-2018, 07:12 AM
I watched the reruns after Queens song was out for many years.Can you provide any evidence whatsoever?

DooWahDiddy
01-02-2018, 09:19 AM
Can you provide any evidence whatsoever?

I mean, isn't his screen name enough?

Blank Slate
01-02-2018, 09:55 AM
This thread reminded me of something strange that happened to me 25 years ago. In the early 90s, I spent a month in Australia exploring the country with some friends. My roommate at the time had family in Canberra and we stayed with them for a few days. One night we rented the movie BIG from the local video shop. The movie had an entirely different ending than the American version! It was the weirdest thing because I had seen the film in the theater when it premiered in New York and remembered it well. But in the Australian version, the character Susan goes back to the Zoltar machine and gets zapped down to the same age as Josh. I guess the American ending didn't test well with Australian audiences or something.

Czarcasm
01-02-2018, 09:58 AM
This thread reminded me of something strange that happened to me 25 years ago. In the early 90s, I spent a month in Australia exploring the country with some friends. My roommate at the time had family in Canberra and we stayed with them for a few days. One night we rented the movie BIG from the local video shop. The movie had an entirely different ending than the American version! It was the weirdest thing because I had seen the film in the theater when it premiered in New York and remembered it well. But in the Australian version, the character Susan goes back to the Zoltar machine and gets zapped down to the same age as Josh. I guess the American ending didn't test well with Australian audiences or something. :dubious::D

Telemark
01-02-2018, 10:05 AM
But in the Australian version, the character Susan goes back to the Zoltar machine and gets zapped down to the same age as Josh.

Was Sinbad playing the role of Zoltar?

TBG
01-02-2018, 10:31 AM

No he was Shazam!

Superdude
01-02-2018, 10:35 AM
I thought that was Shaquille O'Neal

Czarcasm
01-02-2018, 10:42 AM
I watched the reruns after Queens song was out for many years.The point is that our memories often play tricks on us. What would it take to convince you that you may be misremembering this?

Miller
01-02-2018, 02:42 PM
The station wouldn't have but a Syndicator might have. It plausible they purchased the rights to the song and it only aired in a few markets since it wasn't the most popular of shows. Maybe Queen sells the rights for cheaper than we expect?

The album that song's off of - A Night at the Opera - was an international hit. It sold platinum, and cemented Queen reputation as a major rock act. The Courtship of Eddie's Father was middling sitcom that was out of production and in syndication. There is absolutely no way they would have paid the licensing rights to get a song by the hottest rock band of the day to run over mid-afternoon reruns of a show that had been cancelled three years earlier. If there was a problem with the rights to the original score, they'd have got some public domain tune, or at most hired a bunch of session musicians to crank something out. The idea that they'd have licensed a Queen song instead is absurd.

Sherrerd
01-02-2018, 05:47 PM
This thread reminded me of something strange that happened to me 25 years ago. In the early 90s, I spent a month in Australia exploring the country with some friends. My roommate at the time had family in Canberra and we stayed with them for a few days. One night we rented the movie BIG from the local video shop. The movie had an entirely different ending than the American version! It was the weirdest thing because I had seen the film in the theater when it premiered in New York and remembered it well. But in the Australian version, the character Susan goes back to the Zoltar machine and gets zapped down to the same age as Josh. I guess the American ending didn't test well with Australian audiences or something.

No he was Shazam!

I can vouch for all of this---Al Traina told me it was true.

BobBitchin'
01-02-2018, 06:30 PM
I too can conjure up a hazy memory of this song playing in the background as a "friends" montage is shown. I'm picturing a boy riding a bike with his buddy on the handlebars.

Wiki lists these as containing the song:

Hot in Cleveland
Will & Grace
EastEnders,
My Name is Earl
The King of Queens
The Simpsons
Shaun of the Dead
The Secret Life of Pets

" . . . in addition to the promo for the American television adaption of Wilfred. It appears in a 2016 TV commercial for PetSmart."

There is a scene in that70's show where Topher grace and Joseph Gordon-Levitt montage it up to a let me tell ya bout my best friend song.

It kinda looked like a show opener and it is set in the 70's

QueenSong_EddiesFather
01-03-2018, 06:55 PM
Can you provide any evidence whatsoever?

It would be very hard to provide proof (as in links to online video), because of all the digging online someone would need to do.

I'll give it a shot though (I'll start with youtube).
If I'm lucky I'll find it in the commercials between other shows or sporting events (1970's or 1980's on youtube).
Not holding my breath though.

I'll spend a half hour and see if I come up with anything.
Other than that you'll just have to take my (very clear) memory for what it's worth to you.

I guess you could call the Philly TV station that ran it but unless there's something
in it for them, they could care less about providing anything; I'm guessing they wouldn't even talk to you.

QueenSong_EddiesFather
01-03-2018, 07:04 PM
The point is that our memories often play tricks on us. What would it take to convince you that you may be misremembering this?

I'm 100 confident on my memory.
I'm also 100 confident that local stations would have no problem doing something like this.

I also remember thinking "othis tv station is so hip to use the Queen Song. They really like the same music I like".
Maybe they were trying to get more young viewers by using the music they listened to.

Seriously, it's clear as day. No doubts at all.

But again take my memories for what they are worth to you.

Czarcasm
01-03-2018, 07:05 PM
It would be very hard to provide proof (as in links to online video), because of all the digging online someone would need to do.

I'll give it a shot though (I'll start with youtube).
If I'm lucky I'll find it in the commercials between other shows or sporting events (1970's or 1980's on youtube).
Not holding my breath though.

I'll spend a half hour and see if I come up with anything.
Other than that you'll just have to take my (very clear) memory for what it's worth to you.

I guess you could call the Philly TV station that ran it but unless there's something
in it for them, they could care less about providing anything; I'm guessing they wouldn't even talk to you.I see that you've already provided outs for everything one could try to disprove your claim. Could you come up with others making the same claim? Have you at least considered what others have said about the near impossibility of something like this happening?
Please show us that you are at least listening to arguments on the other side.

Czarcasm
01-03-2018, 07:09 PM
I'm also 100 confident that local stations would have no problem doing something like this.

I also remember thinking "othis tv station is so hip to use the Queen Song. They really like the same music I like".Nobody should be 100% confident of their memories, and I see no reason why you could possibly be 100% confident that local stations would have no problem doing what you claimed happened, especially after all the information you have been given in this thread.

Czarcasm
01-03-2018, 07:11 PM
But again take my memories for what they are worth to you.At this point, I would have to take them as an unsubstantiated claim that flies against evidence.

kenobi 65
01-03-2018, 07:58 PM
I *might* buy the idea that a local TV station used the song in locally-made ads for their run of the show. At about that same time (the mid-late 1970s), when I was growing up in Green Bay, one of our local stations would run ads that they themselves clearly had made at the station, for their syndicated game shows, using short snippets of pop songs (the one I recall was Hot Chocolate's "Every 1's a Winner," maybe for "Family Feud"). I wouldn't be at all surprised if they never sought permission / clearance for using the songs in those ads.

But, actually changing the theme song in the show itself to another song (likely without getting permission)? Sorry, I know it's what you clearly remember, but I have a very, very hard time seeing it.

Maus Magill
01-04-2018, 09:27 AM

Not if they value their broadcast licence. BMI is Very Serious about getting their artists' money.

cochrane
01-04-2018, 01:43 PM

"My post is my cite"? Boy, that ought'a show 'em! We've never heard that one here before.

Morbo
01-04-2018, 06:12 PM
I'm not surprised at all. I remember when a local San Francisco TV station replaced the theme of old Casper the Friendly Ghost reruns with Metallica's "I Disappear" - an incomplete version the station grabbed off Napster.

IIRC Metallica thought it was great, with Lars Ulrich famously saying "Well, they fucked with us, that's fucking hilarious, good for them."

QueenSong_EddiesFather
01-04-2018, 06:59 PM

I don't know about Zoltar but Sinbad was great in this movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKEDQQfPS7A&feature=youtu.be

QueenSong_EddiesFather
01-04-2018, 07:09 PM
Not if they value their broadcast licence. BMI is Very Serious about getting their artists' money.

Maybe Queen was paid money. Who knows

QueenSong_EddiesFather
01-04-2018, 07:21 PM
"My post is my cite"? Boy, that ought'a show 'em! We've never heard that one here before.

What cite ? I never claimed to have any cite, just absolute certainty that
I saw the reruns in Philly using the Queen song.

I'm searching through youtube videos right now.
If I have any luck I'll let you know.

HMS Irruncible
01-04-2018, 07:42 PM
Zoltar was a character on Star Blazers, not Bachelor Party.

QueenSong_EddiesFather
01-04-2018, 07:43 PM
The point is that our memories often play tricks on us. What would it take to convince you that you may be misremembering this?

Acquire the reruns that philly stations played of Eddie's father, as well as any commercial promos for the show at the time.

I will gladly sit down with you and sift through all of them.

We should be able to get to the bottom of this by golly.

If there's a will there's a way.

QueenSong_EddiesFather
01-04-2018, 08:21 PM
The album that song's off of - A Night at the Opera - was an international hit. It sold platinum, and cemented Queen reputation as a major rock act. The Courtship of Eddie's Father was middling sitcom that was out of production and in syndication. There is absolutely no way they would have paid the licensing rights to get a song by the hottest rock band of the day to run over mid-afternoon reruns of a show that had been cancelled three years earlier. If there was a problem with the rights to the original score, they'd have got some public domain tune, or at most hired a bunch of session musicians to crank something out. The idea that they'd have licensed a Queen song instead is absurd.

Right before Wayne's World, Queen was probably at their lowest point. Maybe they sold the rights then

Czarcasm
01-04-2018, 09:19 PM
I don't know about Zoltar but Sinbad was great in this movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKEDQQfPS7A&feature=youtu.beYeah, right. :rolleyes:

pulykamell
01-04-2018, 10:19 PM
If there’s anything I’ve learned in this life, it’s never 100% trust your memory. The brain and memory are weird things.

cochrane
01-04-2018, 10:35 PM
Right before Wayne's World, Queen was probably at their lowest point. Maybe they sold the rights then

Oh, come on, now! If you ever expected anyone to take you seriously, you've lost me with this post.

QueenSong_EddiesFather
01-04-2018, 11:07 PM
Oh, come on, now! If you ever expected anyone to take you seriously, you've lost me with this post.

I am serious. But I understand you want proof. If I ever come across something I'll let you know.
And by the way I'm the biggest skeptic out there.
And here's another thing, I don't really worry about changing peoples opinion.
It's not that important. I know it happened and if others don't I'm not bothered by it.

kenobi 65
01-04-2018, 11:53 PM

For reference, "right before Wayne's World" (the movie premiered in February 1992), the rest of the band was still coping with the loss of Freddie in late 1991. They had gone through several years of feverish production of music while Freddie was still alive, though they were, indeed, not as commercially successful (at least not in the U.S.) as they had been in the late 1970s - early 1980s.

You're thus also placing your memories of watching "The Courtship of Eddie's Father" in syndication, in Philadelphia, in the very late 1980s or very early 1990s. That's nearly 20 years after it went off the air on network TV, and relatively few TV series are popular enough to last in syndication that long. Are you as certain of this timing as you are of the use of the song?

Czarcasm
01-05-2018, 01:45 AM
And by the way I'm the biggest skeptic out there.You are 100% certain that your memory is correct, and 100% certain that local producers would have no problem inserting an extremely popular song into a syndicated show's title sequence. What definition of "skeptic" are you using?And here's another thing, I don't really worry about changing peoples opinion.
It's not that important. I know it happened and if others don't I'm not bothered by it.If you didn't care to change people's opinions, you wouldn't keep repeating your unsubstantiated claim over and over again.

Chronos
01-05-2018, 07:34 AM
QueenSong_EddiesFather, welcome to the SDMB. If you don't care about changing peoples' opinions, why are you here? You apparently registered here just to share this, and are posting rather emphatically on this topic.

I should warn you about the culture of this board: Nobody here is going to take you at all seriously unless you can offer some evidence. So far, you've offered... what, a video of someone looking at a webpage? I'm not sure what that's even supposed to mean. You say that evidence would be too difficult, but it would be even more difficult for any of the folks reading this thread. And you wouldn't necessarily need to find absolute, slam-dunk proof: You could, for instance, try to find evidence that the show in question aired in syndication in Philadelphia in the late 80s or early 90s. That'd probably be a lot easier than finding a copy of the show itself, and would at least be a start. Until then, though, don't expect anyone to pay you any heed.

Tread
01-05-2018, 09:46 AM
I never saw an episode of "Breaking Away" (and not many people did), but wouldn't it have used the same music from the film. That means there would have been classical music.

Breaking Away , the series used My Generation by The Who

QueenSong_EddiesFather
01-06-2018, 11:52 AM
You are 100% certain that your memory is correct, and 100% certain that local producers would have no problem inserting an extremely popular song into a syndicated show's title sequence. What definition of "skeptic" are you using?If you didn't care to change people's opinions, you wouldn't keep repeating your unsubstantiated claim over and over again.

Every time I order a Starbucks iced coffee I order a small and the girl corrects me and says "tall ?". And I say no I want a small. I just don't want to accept some company coming around and trying to change the meaning of the word "tall".

Each time I really don't care but I say "small" anyway.
I know they will keep saying small and I'm not upset or anything.
I just am very happy using the word "small".

I hope that makes sense.
But if it doesn't it doesn't bother me either.

More serious things to worry about.

QueenSong_EddiesFather
01-06-2018, 12:03 PM
QueenSong_EddiesFather, welcome to the SDMB. If you don't care about changing peoples' opinions, why are you here? You apparently registered here just to share this, and are posting rather emphatically on this topic.

I should warn you about the culture of this board: Nobody here is going to take you at all seriously unless you can offer some evidence. So far, you've offered... what, a video of someone looking at a webpage? I'm not sure what that's even supposed to mean. You say that evidence would be too difficult, but it would be even more difficult for any of the folks reading this thread. And you wouldn't necessarily need to find absolute, slam-dunk proof: You could, for instance, try to find evidence that the show in question aired in syndication in Philadelphia in the late 80s or early 90s. That'd probably be a lot easier than finding a copy of the show itself, and would at least be a start. Until then, though, don't expect anyone to pay you any heed.

You're right, I did just stumble on the post while online. It was easy signing up so I decided to respond. I really didn't know or care about what "culture" this site has. I just thought I'd respond to a comment. That's all. If this site is about digging up proof to back up any comment someone has then I might want to pass since life is way too short. But I came across it and it was an interesting discussion while it lasted.
Hope you guys get to the bottom of this though ? very interesting topping.
Now go out there and start digging. I'll check back in a month

cochrane
01-06-2018, 12:53 PM
Breaking Away , the series used My Generation by The Who

Ah, like the CSI franchise. :)

CSI: Las Vegas - Who Are You?

CSI: Miami - Won't Get Fooled Again

CSI: New York - Baba O'Riley

CSI: Cyber - Goin' Mobile

pulykamell
01-06-2018, 01:53 PM
If this site is about digging up proof to back up any comment

Well, yes, it is when it comes to factual questions (as it should be for any discussions of matter of fact, especially on the Internet where unsubstantiated claims and falsehoods run rampant.) That's pretty much the entire point of this board. (And nobody is going to look for proof from something you remembered from decades back for you. That's your job because it's your claim.)

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.