PDA

View Full Version : Best way to shut-up a barking neighbors dog?

Muad'Dib
02-08-2004, 07:35 PM
I am being driven insane by a neighbors dogs that will not shut-up. Specifically, every time I go into my own backyard the horrible creatures will bark continuously and tirelessly. I already bought one of those sonic dog silencers (The one at the bottom of the page (http://www.smarthome.com/6117.html)), and it has not done any good.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

DougC
02-08-2004, 07:46 PM
- - - A $7 slingshot with some common smaller-sized rocks is a fair, inexpensive solution.
--------------
Sounds cruel, but look at it this way: if you left a radio outside blaring all the time, eventually other people would call the police and have them make you turn it off---because they'd say that they shouldn't have to listen to that noise just because you want to make it.
But with a dog they just say "oh well I can't stop it".....
It's called the "Fear of God" method.
If you can, stand inside your own house when you fire, so others cannot see you.
Aim for the side of the butt area.
:D
~

Hanna
02-08-2004, 07:58 PM
Uhh..maybe obvious, but what about calling/stopping over at the neighbors and telling them that their dog barking is upsetting you? It's not the dog's fault, it's the owners. Punishing the dog is mean. If the neighbors don't/won't care, call the police.

John Carter of Mars
02-08-2004, 10:08 PM
Red Ryder BB gun. Shoot in the rear quarters, to avoid their eyes. Works like a charm, won't break the dog's skin and your neighbors need never know. Slingshot as suggested by DougC will work also, but requires more skill to be accurate than the BB gun.

Hit 'em just a few times, and they'll be QUIET when you're in the yard.

radar ralf
02-09-2004, 01:25 AM
Red Ryder BB gun. Make sure there are no legal restrictions against this remedy before you even think about it. There is another method: make friends with the dogs next door. You may have to use something like dog treats to enable them to become friendly with you, but by becoming their friend, you should enjoy some peace and quiet at last. If that doesn't work, blast away, I suppose. I guess planting dumb cane along your perimeter would work, too...

Starguard
02-09-2004, 01:37 AM
How good are you at lobbing grenades? I guarantee that'll work :D

Optihut
02-09-2004, 02:36 AM
Red Ryder BB gun. Shoot in the rear quarters, to avoid their eyes. Works like a charm, won't break the dog's skin and your neighbors need never know. Slingshot as suggested by DougC will work also, but requires more skill to be accurate than the BB gun.

Hit 'em just a few times, and they'll be QUIET when you're in the yard.

You guys are kidding, right? Vigilantism is never a good idea.

Talk to the dog's owner and if he doesn't do something about it, then you should consider pursuing legal venues (albeit the cops would definitely be the wrong people to talk to about such matters, at least around here; I am not sure how things are handled in the states). However, just be sure that you are on the right side of the law - around here a dog is allowed to bark for 10 minutes straight and if the dog just barks a bit when you walk by, then you probably don't even have a reason to complain.

Muad'Dib
02-09-2004, 02:44 AM
I've gotten a lot of suggestions to feed the critter gravey soaked sponges...

carnivorousplant
02-09-2004, 07:37 AM
Ask the owner to introduce you to the dogs. Give them a dog biscuit.
If you are pals, they may not bark.
Of course, they may bark if you don't give them a cookie every time they see you...
:)

Horrifying Howler Monkey
02-09-2004, 08:22 AM
I doubt there is any place left in Canada or the US where there is not a by-law against excessive noise caused by a dog barking. I know the law here is a that a dog cannot bark for more than half an hour in any given day cummulative. So I would call your by-law enforcement guy or gal. Having to pay a couple hundred $$ everytime you complain will probably convince your neighbours to keep their little rat inside. Shooting or poisoning the dog is pretty dumb, if you get caught you are the one in trouble, and why should you be getting the fine when it's your neighbours that are the ones causing the problem?

Dinsdale
02-09-2004, 09:13 AM
No solution to offer, but my sympathies.

We have had problems with our neighbor on one side in the past, but things have been pretty calm for the past year or so. Their dog is maybe 2 years old. Really nice dog, but over the past year or so he has started barking a lot. They let him out in their yard for maybe 20 minutes at a time, during which he is apt to bark constantly. At what, I'm not sure. But it is annoying. And I anticipate it will be even more so when temperatures rise and we want to have our windows open. It surprises me that it doesn't bother them as well.

Our situation is the opposite of yours. He does not bark when I am outside. Probably because I talk to him. And he shuts up when I tell him to. He really is a nice dog. I think he is just bored. I can open the door and yell at him to shut up, and he will. But then he will start up again a minute later. And I never hear his owners tell him to shut up.

We have a dog as well. But we don't leave her in the yard when we are not home. When we hear her bark, we tell her to shut up. If she doesn't, we bring her inside. She gets most of her exercise from walks/runs anyway, and mainly goes outside just to do her business. If we are inside, that is where she prefers to be.

But, like I said, otherwise things are going pretty well with these neighbors who have been problemmatic in the past. So we are hesitant to make this into a big deal. Just another way you don't appreciate good neighbors until you have bad ones.

In my experience, your first step is to talk to the owners. Maybe that will be successful. With my previous dog, he was always very quiet when we were at home. We took to leaving him out when we were gone, until our neighbor told us he would bark constantly. We had no idea - it seemed so out of character for him. But we stopped leaving him out when we were not at home.

Unfortunately, I feel a good many folk will just say "Tough. You want quiet, move to the country." And then you will be in the same situation, with pissed off neighbors.

Your next step is to contact the cops. They will let you know what nuisance restrictions there are - if any. It may be illegal during the night, but not at day. Or it may require continuous barking for a certain time. They might talk to the neighbors, which again, will have the neighbors hate you. But they will require that you swear out a complaint before they do anything beyond that. And you will have to decide if you want to go to such lengths.

Like I said, you have my sympathy.

Adjustable_Beavis
02-09-2004, 09:16 AM
Talk to the owner. This is probably your best action. Second, make friends with the dogs. If they like you they are far less likely to bark at you.

Hurting the dog is a bad idea IMO. This may very well make the dog hate you and bark at you even more (unless you just want to hurt it every time you step outside). Worse, it may make the dog apt to bite you should it get the chance. Also, should the owner catch you hurting the dog... hmmm.... that could be bad.

Sometimes they have a benifit. My dogs frightened away a burgler one night from my next door neighbor's house. Another time they scared off a bobcat that had pounced on his cat. Oddly, they made friends with the dogs after this. The dogs never bark at them now and their kids love them.

N. Sane
02-09-2004, 10:50 AM
Another vote for talking to the owners.

My dog sometimes gets on a barking fit when I let her out at night. I do bring her immediately back in if it's late, or if her barking goes on excessively long. However, my husband has the ability to ignore it, and when I'm not home she might be outside barking a little too long, a little too late.

We do try to be sensitive to our neighbors, I promise! Please don't hurt my dog.

jjimm
02-09-2004, 10:56 AM
Best way to shut-up a barking neighbors dog?I guess if you get the neighbor to stop barking first, the dog might follow his lead.

Left Hand of Dorkness
02-09-2004, 11:07 AM
You're in California, right? Dollars to doughnuts your local government has a noise ordinance.

The steps I'd take would be, not necessarily in this order:

* Talk to the neighbor. Easier to do if you already have a good relationship with the neighbor.
* Keep a log of barking times. Write it down in a notebook, with the date and time of the barking. Take a tape recorder outside with you and record the barking some time.
* Call local government and find out who handles barking complaints. It may or may not be animal control, depending on how the ordinance is written.

If the neighbor is a jerk, you can skip the first step entirely. When you go to animal control, it's almost certain that the neighbor will deny that the dog barks excessively; that's why you have the log and the recording. Ideally you can get AC or the cops or whoever handles barking complaints to come into your back yard with you when the dogs are outside and hear it for themselves; for various reasons, this may be impossible (if the dogs are only outside after work hours, for example, or if the gummint can't come out at a specific time).

DO NOT SHOOT THE DOG! DO NOT HURT THE DOG! This is both unethical and possibly illegal. Even if it were both ethical and legal, it would still risk turning a bad situation terrible. Can you imagine your neighbor's response if he sees you shooting his dog? Do you think he'd be mollified by the excuse that it's just a BB gun? If you think you hate your neighbor now, just wait until your neighbor finds out you're shooting his dog.

There are effective, legal, ethical solutions to this problem. Good luck!

Daniel

carnivorousplant
02-09-2004, 11:27 AM
get AC or the cops or whoever handles barking complaints to come into your back yard with you when the dogs are outside and hear it for themselves

Entrapment!
The dogs will bark at strangers near the yard.

Left Hand of Dorkness
02-09-2004, 11:44 AM
Entrapment!
The dogs will bark at strangers near the yard.

That does seem to be the problem. . . . :) I've not seen a noise ordinance that distinguishes between barking at neighbors and barking at strangers. Maybe those crazy Californians do things differently.

Daniel

spingears
02-09-2004, 03:03 PM
Some former neighbors had a nasty tempered rotweiler. Ran through the flower beds chasing up and down our rear fence line with the neighbors dogs on other side. Neighbors warned re local leash law. Threatened neighbors to effect that that dog was 'fair game' on my property and to keep it fenced or on a leash at all time or else.Next day or so it was out and a few rounds in the ground got their attention. A fence was put up shortly thereafter.
Mean time a "Dog Dazzler" was ordered an arrived in the mail while I was mowing along the fence. The bitch had come up to the fence and snarled, bared her teeth, etc. just as the mail arrived. Took a break to check the mail and IT had arrived. On the next turn around the yard the bitch came up to me again and I blipped the dazzler. She was shocked by the sound (inaudible to humans), backed up and came back to fence very angry worked up. Gave it a stronger blip to which she responded by backing up and returning to fence with more attitude than before. This time I just pressed the switch and held it down. She backed up, turned tail and dissappeared. About a week later around 3:00 AM she was sitting in driveway howling and barking. I slipped the door open quietly and pressed the button down and she promptly shut up and dissappeared. Repeated the same about two weeks later.

A week after that I went to the mail box and she was sitting on her porch with her head on her paws surveying the landscape. Again I pressed the button down and held it. She came off the porch, made a half a dozen circles at the foot of the steps, ran along their lot line and fence, jumped a 3" chain link into another neighbors yard, back into hers and she was cured.
Note that the instructions said the Dazzler was only good for 12 to 15 feet and that it didn't even phaze some dogs. It didn't bother another neighvobs sheep dog nor another muttt.
From then on she would get out of my sight ASAP.

fishbicycle
02-09-2004, 05:20 PM
You could go over and stand at six inches away from the dog's chain limit, and have a bark-your-head-off contest with it.

That wouldn't shut the dog up, but it'd make you feel better. :D

Maxxxie
02-09-2004, 11:56 PM
A week after that I went to the mail box and she was sitting on her porch with her head on her paws surveying the landscape. Again I pressed the button down and held it. She came off the porch, made a half a dozen circles at the foot of the steps, ran along their lot line and fence, jumped a 3" chain link into another neighbors yard, back into hers and she was cured.

Sooooo... let me get this straight. You used this doodad when the dog was barking and it stopped her. Not satisfied with this, you saw her lying on the porch minding her own business and NOT barking at you, and you used this thing again?

Wow. You're a real turd. :rolleyes:

Max.

mbh
02-10-2004, 02:10 PM
Maxxxie:

The dog has a right to sit on its own porch. It does not have a right to sit on springears porch. That is trespassing.

spingears
02-10-2004, 03:51 PM
The bitch was not fenced nor leashed nor chained as required by local ordinance.

Just a matter of reminging her of her place, i.e. not in public.

Fortunately the old man was busted for possession. The old lady moved out.
No more bitch, no owners, NO PROBLEM(S).

Unfortunately the bitch had to take the heat for the owners failures.

End of story.

Fini! :)

Adjustable_Beavis
02-10-2004, 04:01 PM
Maxxxie:

The dog has a right to sit on its own porch. It does not have a right to sit on springears porch. That is trespassing.

hmm.... Well that is true. But lets take another look at that post. I added some bold to the text.

....and she was sitting on her porch with her head on her paws surveying the landscape. Again I pressed the button down and held it. She came off the porch, made a half a dozen circles at the foot of the steps, ran along their lot line and fence, jumped a 3" chain link into another neighbors yard, back into hers and she was cured. .

Maybe I'm wrong, but I read that as she was sitting on her porch, in her yard when she was zapped the last time. Only jumping the fence out of her yard after being zapped. Then jumping back into her yard once again. I'm thinking that the dog was on its porch that last time, not springears.

Adjustable_Beavis
02-10-2004, 04:03 PM
...and there are times such as this when you wish SDMB would let you edit a post as springears responded at the same time I was typing. :)

Left Hand of Dorkness
02-10-2004, 04:13 PM
The bitch was not fenced nor leashed nor chained as required by local ordinance.

Really? I've not seen an ordinance that requires a dog to be fenced/leashed/chained when it's on its owner's property. Would you be willing to link to an online copy of your local ordinance? I've got professional curiosity :).

Lacking that, it comes across like you were tormenting the dog, which could've worked against you later if the dog had ever bitten you.

If you're not sure where your ordinance is online, if you'd let me know the appropriate jurisdiction, I'll see if I can hunt it down.

Daniel

Magiver
02-10-2004, 06:15 PM
I'd have to review the situation for 2 factors before I acted. If the dog was a pit bull of some variant then I would be more concerned about the danger of attack. I would also size up the owners.

I had a neighbor with a dog that did not like me. Came home one day to find the dog on the other side of my garage door. Luckily I had plenty of yard tools to force the dog back. One day I happened to come out of my house at the same time as my "neighbor" and he did nothing to curb his berserk dog even when I made overtures to pet the animal. I had to place pruning sheers between me and the dog to prevent being bitten. That told me what I needed to know. Had the neighbor remained the dog would have become a problem. I would not tolerate a dangerous dog next to me. A standard link fence is no match for a large dog.

In my salad days I lived in a trailer court next to a yappy dog. One day my neighbors left for the day with the dog outside. It barked continuously for hours. I got out a hose and squirted it every time it barked. The dog figured out I didn't have enough hose and ran to the opposite corner (I got more hose). 30 minutes later I was able to train the dog to the sound of water. All I had to do was go pshht and the dog stopped barking.

My advise, if you have sane neighbors and a nice doggy then knock on the door and ask to be introduced. You might be able to make friends to your advantage. I listen to my neighborhood dogs and I can usually tell when there is something afoot.

carnivorousplant
02-10-2004, 06:31 PM
The leash law here is that the dog must be on a leash, tied or behind a fence even if in the owner's yard.

If he zapped the dog on the dog's porch, that is tacky.

I had a dog charge me in my yard. I put my hand in front of me. Ha!
He backed off, though. Perhaps I scream well. :)

Bites When Provoked
02-10-2004, 11:12 PM
He did use the words 'nasty tempered rottweiler'.

That's a good enough reason not to let it sit on the porch watching for victims.

Tim@T-Bonham.net
02-11-2004, 02:44 AM
Take a tape recorder outside with you and record the barking some time. Yeah! And then set up your stereo speakers aimed at the neighbors bedroom, and play that recording loudly about 4am. Repeat on random nights until the neighbors agree to talk sensibly with you about ways of keeping their dog quiet. (With good neighbors, you'll never have to get to this point -- just talking to them about the problem will get them to take some action.)

Shirley Ujest
02-11-2004, 12:12 PM
When new neighbors moved in, they brought with them four children and a couple of dogs.

One of the dogs barked 24/7. I was convinced he had duracell batteries shoved up his ass.

I had just had my first child and already sleep deprived, and probably would have been aok with my sleep schedule with a new baby, if this dog ( over 100 yards away) didn't bark so frickin' much.

We called our sherriff about 13 times from Mid May to Fall. The other neighbors ( who were closer) called anywhere from 25 times to 100 times.

The problem was the husband had a massive stroke and ended up in a nursing home. Mom suddenly had to work two jobs to support them and was never home. Had we known this in the beginning, we would have taken a different stance.

The kids ran amok on their dirt bikes from the minute mom was out of hearing range with her car until well after sunset. The constant RRRRRRRRRRRRR ( in first gear no less) from 8am - 10pm all summer long ruined that summer for me.

Eventually, the mother was clued in by a sherriff of what was going on and the dirt bike incident stopped. ( Another neighbor who works nights came over after about 12 weeks of sleeping in his basement with the fans on high and told the kid he was going to shoot the bike.) but the dog situation did not get better.

Then one day, the problem dog ( who was always in a pen) got out and was hit by a car on the small, dirt road private drive that can only be called a country lane. 6 houses live on this dead end street. Pepper was dead. Frankly, it was no loss.

The sherriff basically said we ( any of the neighbors) had the right to take them to court to get them to shut the dog up, but no one wanted to deal with that when they have teenagers that might do acts of vegence. Fortunately, the next summer it was like they were never there.

BrotherCadfael
02-11-2004, 02:36 PM
A 30-30 should work pretty well. A 30-06 is probably a bit much, unless it's a St. Bernard...

Czarcasm
02-12-2004, 01:40 AM
A 30-30 should work pretty well. A 30-06 is probably a bit much, unless it's a St. Bernard...
What is not a good idea is to advocate illegal violence on the SDMB. Do not do it again.

radar ralf
02-12-2004, 03:05 AM
What is not a good idea is to advocate illegal violence on the SDMB. Do not do it again.
While I am reluctant to risk being censured by a moderator, I feel I must make a comment. BrotherCadfael's remarks may have been ill-advised, but I believe they were made playfully and not too out-of-line with some the posts made earlier in the thread. I think the term illegal violence would include the use of a Red Ryder and the overuse of a "Dog Dazzler," yet no warnings were given after those posts. I don't mind playing by the rules, as long as they are applied evenly and consistantly.

Does this post mean I'll become a memory here? I hope not.

Czarcasm
02-12-2004, 07:15 AM
While I am reluctant to risk being censured by a moderator, I feel I must make a comment. BrotherCadfael's remarks may have been ill-advised, but I believe they were made playfully and not too out-of-line with some the posts made earlier in the thread. I think the term illegal violence would include the use of a Red Ryder and the overuse of a "Dog Dazzler," yet no warnings were given after those posts. I don't mind playing by the rules, as long as they are applied evenly and consistantly.

Does this post mean I'll become a memory here? I hope not.
All posts advocating illegal violence are unwelcome on the SDMB-I merely used the latest post as an example.
All clear now?

BrotherCadfael
02-12-2004, 09:02 AM
What is not a good idea is to advocate illegal violence on the SDMB. Do not do it again.I don't know that I was advocating anything of the sort, but I will abide by the ruling of the moderator. My apologies.

Left Hand of Dorkness
02-12-2004, 10:23 AM
I don't know that I was advocating anything of the sort, but I will abide by the ruling of the moderator. My apologies.

:confused: How on earth could you construe what you said as anything BUT advocating illegal violence?

Daniel

DoubleJ
02-12-2004, 12:00 PM
:confused: How on earth could you construe what you said as anything BUT advocating illegal violence?

Well, I'm pretty dense and realized right away that it was a joke, but thought the guys who advocated shooting the critter in the ass with a BB gun were serious (and I'm pretty sure they are -- my grandfather did that many years ago to a dog who liked to run loose and crap in his yard). Actually, after I read the comment I thought he was going to wind up like DreadCthulhu (or however the hell you spell it) because enough people have a differing sense of humor and wouldn't get it. Of course DC was even more crass about it; he was definitely being a jerk with a few of his comments. I saw nothing remotely jerk-like from BC, just a joke that some people didn't notice.

Left Hand of Dorkness
02-12-2004, 12:09 PM
Well, I'm pretty dense and realized right away that it was a joke, but thought the guys who advocated shooting the critter in the ass with a BB gun were serious (and I'm pretty sure they are -- my grandfather did that many years ago to a dog who liked to run loose and crap in his yard).

Hmm. It could be that advocating illegal, specific violence is okay when you're just joking about it, but that's not the impression I've got. Especially not when the joke is deadpan enough that it could get taken seriously.

Perhaps working for a humane society, where we regularly have to deal with cats and dogs that get shot/decapitated/set on fire/beaten/fought, has dulled my sense of humor.

Daniel

DoubleJ
02-12-2004, 12:57 PM
Hmm. It could be that advocating illegal, specific violence is okay when you're just joking about it, but that's not the impression I've got. Especially not when the joke is deadpan enough that it could get taken seriously.

Perhaps working for a humane society, where we regularly have to deal with cats and dogs that get shot/decapitated/set on fire/beaten/fought, has dulled my sense of humor.
Dunno. I'm still feeling my way around the board, and I'm definitely not a mod. Obviously, what Czarcasm says goes. As for the humor bit, that may be true. Or it could just be my sense of humor is a bit more deadpan than yours so the thought that he was serious never crossed my mind. I'm not the kind to go around slapping a smiley on every post I make, but maybe one would've helped BrotherCadfael's case here.

joecool6969
12-13-2015, 12:06 AM
Some former neighbors had a nasty tempered rotweiler. Ran through the flower beds chasing up and down our rear fence line with the neighbors dogs on other side. Neighbors warned re local leash law. Threatened neighbors to effect that that dog was 'fair game' on my property and to keep it fenced or on a leash at all time or else.Next day or so it was out and a few rounds in the ground got their attention. A fence was put up shortly thereafter.
Mean time a "Dog Dazzler" was ordered an arrived in the mail while I was mowing along the fence. The bitch had come up to the fence and snarled, bared her teeth, etc. just as the mail arrived. Took a break to check the mail and IT had arrived. On the next turn around the yard the bitch came up to me again and I blipped the dazzler. She was shocked by the sound (inaudible to humans), backed up and came back to fence very angry worked up. Gave it a stronger blip to which she responded by backing up and returning to fence with more attitude than before. This time I just pressed the switch and held it down. She backed up, turned tail and dissappeared. About a week later around 3:00 AM she was sitting in driveway howling and barking. I slipped the door open quietly and pressed the button down and she promptly shut up and dissappeared. Repeated the same about two weeks later.

Note that the instructions said the Dazzler was only good for 12 to 15 feet and that it didn't even phaze some dogs. It didn't bother another neighvobs sheep dog nor another muttt.
From then on she would get out of my sight ASAP.

OMG! That's awesome! Where can I get one of these? Man dogs and dog owners are about the most annoying things to walk the earth.

usedtobe
12-13-2015, 02:34 AM
After 11 years, that product may no longer be available.

See:

Good Life Dog Silencer Pro - it works. I have not used it, but the same company makes a directional emitter designed for hand-held application.

Or get a Dog Silencer and use the 'clicker' to activate.

I have 5 of these.

The GoodLife (maker is important) 'bird house' - also effective, but no clicker, and shorter range (I have 4 of these)

Maastricht
12-13-2015, 03:13 AM
Do dogs bark if they can't see you come out? So, if you've got a fence between you and the neighbors ?

Tim@T-Bonham.net
12-13-2015, 03:19 AM
Do dogs bark if they can't see you come out? So, if you've got a fence between you and the neighbors ?Dogs have quite acute senses -- much more so than humans. Unless it's a solid brick fence 7 feet high, dogs are likely to know that you are there.

Your Great Darsh Face
12-13-2015, 03:36 AM
Mostly, if you can afford to wait eleven years, the mutt will up and die of old age.

Otherwise I got nothin', except to observe that if the neighbour is barking then he's probably not worth talking to about his dog.

Maastricht
12-13-2015, 03:41 AM
Dogs have quite acute senses -- much more so than humans. Unless it's a solid brick fence 7 feet high, dogs are likely to know that you are there.True, but maybe a dog will experience a good fence like a symbolic boundary to his territory. And he might consider people on the other side of the fence, who do not seem to try and scale the fence, as a not-bakr-worthy cause.

What I wondered, are there any dog-obedience training courses in your neighbourhood? Like so (https://www.cesarsway.com/dog-training/obedience/finding-the-right-dog-obedience-course)? Does the dog owner know that those courses exist?

Have you seen the wikihow on this subject (http://www.wikihow.com/Deal-With-a-Neighbor's-Barking-Dog)? It has some useful links.

Caldazar
12-14-2015, 10:32 AM
True, but maybe a dog will experience a good fence like a symbolic boundary to his territory. And he might consider people on the other side of the fence, who do not seem to try and scale the fence, as a not-bakr-worthy cause.

Dogs tend to have a very strong sense of personal space. A territorial dog is unlikely to "permit" strangers to come within a certain distance of the dog's perceived space, regardless of the location of any physical barriers that may be present in the dog's space.

Old thread, I know, but it's worth noting that aversives are a double edged-sword with dogs. Their use can discourage undesirable behavior, just like any punishment. However, the dog can learn to associate the aversive with the person involved and develop highly negative associations. This can result in potentially dangerous situations if the dog comes in direct contact with the person involved; the dog may bite or undertake other aggressive action.

As has been stated, the ideal situation is to speak with the owner and befriend the dog (or at least train the dog to tolerate certain strangers).

GusNSpot
12-14-2015, 10:53 AM
Out here in the country, your dog is your advance warning, guard, protector & we love to hear him bark as that tells us what is going on near.

He seldom barks at silly things like a wind blown leaf as some dogs do.

Solution is to move to the country.

YMMV

Omar Little
12-14-2015, 11:12 AM
From 2004
"Dog Dazzler"

From 2015
OMG! That's awesome! Where can I get one of these? Man dogs and dog owners are about the most annoying things to walk the earth.

After 11 years, that product may no longer be available.

Ah, but it is available for $26.95 (http://www.amazon.com/Dog-Dazer-II-Ultrasonic-Deterrent/dp/B000IBRI2Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450113024&sr=8-1&keywords=dog+dazzler).

Zombie dogs don't bark, they just want your braaaaaaiiiiinnnnsss!!!!!!!!

Channing Idaho Banks
12-14-2015, 11:27 AM
Whatever you do don't video record yourself shooting the neighbors dog.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=33d_1353979614

AntleredRuin
04-04-2017, 10:50 AM
Wait, what? We move to the country to get AWAY from dogs.

That would be just my luck. I move to the country to get some peace and quiet and one of my 'neighbors' (because I'd still want to live close enough to 'town' for emergencies, gas stations, etc) would have a dog that they don't take care of. And it'll be the country, so there are no noise ordinances to call them out on. And I'll be the new neighbor, so I'll be the bitch if I complain.

Seriously, though. I bought a house in September 2016. Scouted out the area a couple times a day for a few weeks (it was on my way to work) and there were no dogs in sight, rain or shine.
I bought the house, and all was quiet and perfect. Fast forward 2 months, and my neighbors got a little yappy thing. I heard it bark every now and then, but only when their kids were outside playing with it (perfectly acceptable).
After a few weeks, the family got bored of the dog (imagine) and just threw it outside permanently. Now the thing stays outside all day and sleeps outside.
It used to sit just barking at the back door all day and night. It responded for a few minutes at a time to my shushing, but would always start back up again.

I spoke to the neighbors 6 times and left 3 notes taped to their door. 2 of the times I spoke to them, I did so around 4am and pissed them off (pretty intentionally, actually). I only woke them because their dog woke me. I later left the notes to be apologetic, but still firm in the request that they curb their dog's barking.
"We're all neighbors, and would like to get along; please be respectful of noise ordinances, etc".

Still nothing. These shut the dog up for the moment, but nothing more.
I bought a few squealy noise birdhouse bark suppressors, but this dog was so high pitched that it never set them off.

I called the local Police Department and was told that we have a constable that patrols the neighborhood regularly.
The next time the dog started up again, I called and asked for him. He gave me his e-mail address and asked for a quick video recording just for 'proof', and then went to go talk to the neighbors. This helped for a few days, but it started up again. I ended up calling him a couple more times and there was peace and quiet for a few days in between. I got a good relationship with the constable going via e-mail. I was very respectful, thanked him for his time, admitted that I knew he had more pressing matters to attend to than barking dogs, etc. He told me to call/e-mail anytime with any issue.

Then started the storms. A bunch of thunderstorms over a course of a few days, during which the dog went absolutely ape-shit. Tornado warnings and watches and they still left the dog outside. It would howl with every thunderclap, and they ignored it. I spoke to the constable again, and did the whole, "I'm scared for the dog's well-being" sob story and he spoke to them again. During the lightning storm with the dog howling in the backyard. Not sure specifically what he said to them, but it must been threatening (like Animal Control will take your dog; this is animal abuse) or something, because it's been about a month and a few lightning storms later and I've literally only heard the dog bark 4 time since.

Moral of the story; get the local patrolling Constable on your side. Get a good relationship with the officer, not the neighbor. Odds are, if you have to talk to the neighbor ONCE about a barking dog, that neighbor will always be problematic. They won't be the considerate type. So get a good relationship with someone in power so that there is real action that can be taken.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.