PDA

View Full Version : True or False: we all have cancer

Wesley Clark
02-28-2004, 05:45 PM
I read this in a book many years ago. naturally i can't quote the book as it was years ago but the book said that everyone has cancer or will get cancer, but that the cancer cells are either killed or die off before they have a chance to do any damage to the body. Is this true?

in a way it seems plausible as it takes tens to hundreds of millions of cells to go cancerous before you can even detect cancer. so is there any truth to it, do we all have/get cancer but it dies or is killed off before it can do any damage?

Qadgop the Mercotan
02-28-2004, 05:51 PM
Well, it depends on how terms are defined, but I consider it untrue. Cancer, as a disease entity, is an uncontrolled abnormal growth of cells which are then able to spread to distant parts of the body.

Many cells in the typical human body begin to grow abnormally, but in most cases the body makes adjustments to restrict or eliminate the growth. That's just taking care of business.

However, if one lives long enough, eventually one will get a cancer.

QtM, MD

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.