PDA

View Full Version : Silly mnemonics to remember things you ought to know anyway

matt_mcl
06-15-2000, 07:20 AM
I have difficulty with parallels, meridians, latitude, and longitude... I just remember:

Parallels are parallel to one another;
Meridian is from meridies, "noon", so it's where the sun passes over at noon (yes, for me this IS easier);
Longitudinal lines are longer than latitudinal ones.

Andy
06-15-2000, 08:09 AM
SB HCl.....(smithkline beecham/hydrochloric acid)...helps me remember the Schmidt/Beckmann/Hoffman/Curtius/Lossen rearrangements. I doubt anybody else ever has or ever will use this.

AWB
06-15-2000, 08:54 AM
To remember the alphabet:
Alpha/ Bravo/ Charlie/ Delta/ Echo/ Foxtrot/ Golf/ Hotel/ India/ Juliet/ Kilo/ Lima/ Mike/ November/ Oscar/ Papa/ Quebec/ Romeo/ Sierra/ Tango/ Uniform/ Victor/ Whiskey/ X-ray/ Yankee/ Zulu

:D:D

Crusoe
06-15-2000, 08:59 AM
I still have to use "Never Eat Shredded Wheat" to remember which way round compass points go.

ROY G. BIV - Red Orange Yellow Green Blue Indigo Violet

The worst of all, which only Brit dopers will truly appreciate the awfulness of, is that in order to remember the order of colours in snooker, I have to sing the chorus to Chas & Dave's "Snooker Loopy" - "Pot the red then / screw back / for the yellow green brown blue pink and black / snooker loopy nuts are we / we're all snooker / loopy".

Gazelle
06-15-2000, 09:08 AM
WashAdJeMadMonAdJackVanHarrTyPoTay
FillPierceBuLincJohnGrantHayes
GarArtCleveHarrCleveMacRoo
TaftWilHardCoolHoovRooTrue
IkeKenJohnNixFordCarReaBushClint

My maternal great-grandmother passed it down.

"Every Good Boy Does Fine" - a music person will know what this is for. I took piano lessons 20 years ago and this was to remember... something. As you can tell, it worked. :D

And there's a planet one... Something to do with mother making peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

CalMeacham
06-15-2000, 09:26 AM
Aaaagh! It's the mnemonic plague!

---------------------------------

"Tell Zeno I'm willing to meet him halfway."

robinh
06-15-2000, 09:32 AM
My kids learn the compass as "Never Eat Soggy Waffles."

The planets can be "My Very Excellent Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas."

It's funny how powerful these are. I do a lot of tie-dyeing and often make rainbow spirals. You'd think I could line up the colors without thinking about it by now, but I *must* say "Roy G Biv" to do it. Just as I cannot write/type the word "friend" without hearing the Mr Rogers song, because that's how I taught myself to remember how to spell it. (F-R-I-E-N-D special; you're special to me....)

DVous Means
06-15-2000, 09:35 AM
They are not all silly.

For example, my chemistry teacher at high school had a neat way of remembering the first 20 elements of the Periodic Table: two Russian ladies - H HeLiBeBCNOF and NeNa MgAlSiPSClArKA (I think I got that right).

jesuslynch
06-15-2000, 09:49 AM
Virgin - Stands Up - Vertical
Whore - Lays down - Horizontal

Kay
06-15-2000, 12:46 PM
The five lines of a treble cleff (reading up from the bottom) are: E-G-B-D-F *or* Every Good Boy Does Fine. The four spaces in between are F-A-C-E :)
I can still remember my piano teacher drawing smiley faces to remind me (this was before all smilies were sideways)

The five lines on the bass clef: Great Big Dogs Fight Animals
The four spaces: All Cows Eat Grass

JSexton
06-15-2000, 01:19 PM
Oddly, the only mnemonic I can recall is the one from "Cheers" wherein Woody was studying for his GED or somesuch, and was learning geography. He had that ridiculous song that went something like:

Albania! Albania!
You border on the Adriatic.
Your chief exports
Are coal, steel and bauxite...

I still hum it whenever I hear the word Albania. Fortunately, it doesn't come up often.

Trion
06-15-2000, 01:22 PM
I'm surprised no one did this one yet.

stalaGmite - on the Ground

stalaCtite - on the Ceiling

Brunetter
06-15-2000, 01:49 PM
Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge (lines on treble clef)

Charles Father Goes Down, Ends Battle
and
Battle Ends, Down Goes Father Charles

I don't remember what these are for - something to do with music - but it always made me sad as a kid!!

StGermain
06-15-2000, 02:05 PM
Okay, it's not a mnemnomic, but it's stupid. To tell my right from my left, I used to either have to make the sign of the cross or the Pledge of Allegiance.

Johnny L.A.
06-15-2000, 02:14 PM
Odd fellows fly east

I may have made this one up, but I'm not sure. It's so I can remember: each person operating an aircraft under VFR in level cruising flight more than 3,000 feet above the surface shall maintain...On a magnetic course of zero degrees through 179 degrees, any odd thousand foot MSL altitude +500 feetOf course, knowing that "odd fellows fly east", I can remember that I need to fly at an even altitude on a westerly heading.

iampunha
06-15-2000, 02:24 PM
For the order of operations in math:

Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally

Parentheses exponents multiplication division addition subtraction

My sister, 12 at the time, once butchered this on purpose to say, "Dear Aunt Sally, Excuse me, Please"

obfusciatrist
06-15-2000, 04:12 PM
HOMES = Huron, Ontario, Michigan, Erie, Superior (Great Lakes)

WASPLEG = Wrath, Avarice, Sloth, Pride, Lust, Envy, Gluttony (7 deadly sins)

Prince Victoria Overate Today = PV/AT = Ideal Gas Law (pressure * volume)/(amount * temperature). More commonly stated as PV = nRT, but it works.

Eh! You stole my gold (AU = gold).

Hey Garfield! Art Cats are Hairy Cats. I made this one up for the AP American History test in high school. It is to remember the presidents between Grant and McKinley (which I had trouble remembering). It is stupid, I know, but I still remember it 8 years later.

Hayes Garfield Arthur Cleveland Harrison Cleveland

Kay
06-15-2000, 04:20 PM
Charles Father Goes Down, Ends Battle
and
Battle Ends, Down Goes Father Charles

I don't remember what these are for - something to do with music - but it always made me sad as a kid!!

They are the order of sharps and order of flats, respectively. Except it should be FCGDAEB - Father Charles Goes Down And Ends Battle. (Reverse that for the flats)

Dunno why I still remember this one, either.

jayron 32
06-15-2000, 04:35 PM
Linean Classification:
Knights play chess on flat glass surfaces
or
King Phillip came over for great sex

Kingdom Phylum Class Order Family Genus Species

Resistor color band code:
B.B. ROY from Great Britain had a Very Good Wife

Black = 0
Brown = 1
Red = 2
Orange = 3
Yellow = 4
Green = 5
Blue = 6
Violet = 7
Grey = 8
White = 9

Line on musical scale:

Every Girl Bites Dead Frogs

mouthbreather
06-15-2000, 04:38 PM
From 10th Grade Biology:

King Philip Came Over From Geneva Switzerland =

Kingdom,
Phylum,
Class,
Order,
Family,
Genus (? I think…)
Species.

mouthbreather
06-15-2000, 04:40 PM
Ok, Jayron, that simulpost was kinda spooky.

Norway Maple
06-15-2000, 04:52 PM
George Eagle's Old Grandmother Rode A Pig Home Yesterday.

lee
06-15-2000, 04:56 PM
Pleasant, excited moans during anal sex.

I learned it in college.

robbaba
06-15-2000, 05:11 PM
Enginerd Alert!

I learned this one in high school. It was very valuable in engineering school when you have to find the angles of a right triangle.

Old Horses
Are Horses
Over Age

Sine of the angle = opposite / hypotenuse
Cosine of the angle = adjacent / hypotenuse
Tangent of the angle = opposite / adjacent

I bet I haven't had to use that in 10 years and I still remember it.

Thanks Mr. McIntosh! (High school physics teacher)

iampunha
06-15-2000, 05:55 PM
robbaba, I learned something different but accomplishing the same thing during my sophomore year of high school:

SOHCAHTOA

Sine=Opposite/Hypotenuse
Cosine=Adjacent/Hypotenuse
Tangent=Opposite/Adjacent

At one point I memorized something for frosh physics about wavelengths . . . Ron Made Igoe Ugly X-G. Royally stupid, and I don't remember if it went big to small or what . . . but it's Radio Microwave Infrared Ultraviolet X-ray Gamma ray.

dropzone
06-15-2000, 06:05 PM
The OSI communication layers: Apple Pie Stays Trendy, Never Dated, Phil.

Now I just don't remember what they stand for. Hmmm, Apple for Application, Dated for Data, Phil for Physical.... Nope, that's all I can remember.

neuro-trash grrrl
06-15-2000, 09:38 PM
My high school physics teacher gave us two mnemonics for the bands of colors on resistors, and the numbers they represent. One was clean, the other naughty. Naturally, I only remember the naughty one:

Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls, But Violet Gives Willingly.

for:

Black Brown Red Orange Yellow Green Blue Violet Gray White

for the numbers 0 through 9.

I also learned the "Oh, Be A Fine Girl, Susan! Kiss Me Now!" for the types of stars from an old astronomy book, but the classifications have changed since then, and so has the mnemonic.

sorrel554
06-15-2000, 10:09 PM
I too learned SOHCAHTOA to remember sines, cosines, and tangents.

I also had a somewhat complicated one to help me remember the citric acid cycle in AP Biology, but I'm drawing a blank (you see how often I've needed this information.)

Ringo
06-15-2000, 10:16 PM
For the twelve (what?) cranial nerves:

On Old Olympus' Towering Top, A Fat Armed Girl Vends Snowy Hops.

I don't actually remember the nerves.

timmar68
06-15-2000, 10:20 PM
One of my classmates in beauty school couldn't remember if a comedone was a whitehead or blackhead pimple so I told him to think of the group "The Commodores" because the members were black. I know, I know, not PC but he cracked up and it got him to remember it.

Peta Tzunami
06-15-2000, 10:29 PM
StGermain says:

Okay, it's not a mnemnomic, but it's stupid. To tell my right from my left, I used to either have to make the sign of the cross or the Pledge of Allegiance.

You can always do the "L" test. Palms down, index finger up and thumbs out, the left hand forms an "L", the right hand does not. (I still have to do this one occasionally myself!)

I often use "righty-tighty, lefty loosey," to remember which was to tighten or loosen most items that screw on, in, etc.

"I want a compliment, not a complement."

"A is a stationAry letter, while a letter is written on stationery.

I also used to know one for all the books of the Bible, but now the only part that sticks out in my head is the "RoCoCo" part (Romans, I Corinthians, II Corinthians).

Apollyon
06-15-2000, 11:20 PM
robinh: You'd think I could line up the colors without thinking about it by now, but I *must* say "Roy G Biv" to do it.

Alternatives:

English
Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain

Reverse Order
Virgins In Bed Give You Odd Reactions

:)

drewbert
06-15-2000, 11:30 PM
No astronomers here?

"Oh, Be A Fine Girl/Guy, Kiss Me!" is one of the many mnemonics for the spectral classes of stars: OBAFGKM.

You all should be very thankful I cannot locate the lyrics to the song that is nothing but dozens of mnemonics for the spectral class sequence, all to the tune of "Stars and Stripes Forever."

(Funny, this is the second time today I've mentioned that John Philip Sousa tune in a post. Whatever does that mean?)

For the trig functions, I learned:
Sam OverHeard
Cliff At Home
Talking Over Algebra

And to remember how many days there are in a particular month, I use my knuckles, starting with January at my left hand pinky knuckle. All the knuckle peaks are months with 31 days, and all the gaps between the knuckles are 30 days (except Feb., of course)

Rilchiam
06-17-2000, 06:44 PM
Oddly, the only mnemonic I can recall is the one from "Cheers" wherein Woody was studying for his GED or somesuch, and was learning geography. He had that ridiculous song that went something like:

Albania! Albania!
You border on the Adriatic.
Your chief exports
Are coal, steel and bauxite...

I still hum it whenever I hear the word Albania. Fortunately, it doesn't come up often.

That was Coach, not Woody. But you got the song right.

PeterB
06-17-2000, 07:00 PM
big elephants can always understand small elephants.
"because"

There's one about curried eggs or some such for "necessary".

I _was_ taught "never eat Shredded Wheat", but my scout master bollocked me for that one, because Shreaded Wheat is tasty and healthy (which is, I admit, true). Instead, "naughty elephants squirt water".

I was perpetually in trouble for using SOHCAHTOA, but it's useful, dammit.

Aaah, the "reactivity" series (affinity series? I think it is. It's a loong time since I last did any chemistry). It's something like this, tho' I may be smoking crack.

Pretty Sally Carter Married A Zulu In Lovely Honolulu Causing Many Strange Gazes

Potassium Sodium Calcium Magnesium Aluminium Zinc, Iron, Lead, (Hydrogen) Copper Mercury Silver Gold.

(yes, that _is_ how you spell Aluminium)

Hmm.

I'm sure there are more.

Brunetter
06-17-2000, 07:06 PM
For the order of operations in math:

Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally

I got BEDMAS

Brackets, Exponents, Division, Multiplication, Addition, Subtraction

I guess our teachers figured we wouldn't know a FANCY word like PARENTHESES

VaHermit
06-17-2000, 07:09 PM
Two from spelling class thirty+ years ago that I still remember.

Geography- George Earlys oldest girl rode a pig home yesterday.
Arithmetic- A rat in Tommys house might eat Tommys ice cream.

To this day I can't spell either word without those stupid sentences running through my head.

This isn't a nmemonic but in caves I remember stalactite with a "c" for ceiling and stalagmite with a "g" for ground.

MrWhipple
06-17-2000, 07:29 PM

Now I just don't remember what they stand for. Hmmm, Apple for Application, Dated for Data, Phil for Physical.... Nope, that's all I can remember.

Sheesh, that's almost harder to remember than what it stands for! Try "All People Seem To Need Data Processing" -- Application, Presentation, Session, Transport, Network, Data Link, Physical.

Also, for the Microsoft NT Server test I had to learn the order in which NT searches for computer names on a network: NetBIOS cache, WINS, broadcast, LMHost, Host, DNS. The mnemonic? "Norwegian Women Buy Large Hard Drives."

PeterB
06-17-2000, 07:34 PM
I learned it as "BODMAS"

Brackets, Of, Division, Multiplication, Addition, Subtraction.

("of" being a stupid one, as it's the exact same as multiplication/division)

(and, of course, division and multiplication, and addition and subtraction, are the same as each other anyway).

Oh, another one.

When multiplying two brackets of two terms each togethether,

"FOIL" (first, outer, inner, last) to make sure you've correctly multipled each term properly.

KarlGauss
06-17-2000, 08:27 PM
For the twelve (what?) cranial nerves:

On Old Olympus' Towering Top, A Fat Armed Girl Vends Snowy Hops.

I don't actually remember the nerves.

I learnt it this way:

Oh, Oh, Oh, To Touch And Feel A Girl's Vagina, Ah Heavenly!

O - Olfactory
O - Optic
O - Oculomotor
T - Trochlear
T - Trigeminal
A - Abducens
F - Facial
A - Acoustic
G - Glossopharyngeal
V - Vagus
A - Accessory
H - Hypoglossal

Still works after all these years!

iampunha
06-17-2000, 09:00 PM
I learned FOIL as well, though I didn't exactly need reminding to do a job throughly in math class. I enjoyed it. Sorry, some people are weird like that.

Once upon a time I made some mnemonic device for remembering Noun, Pronoun, Adjective, Verb, Adverb, Preposition, Conjunction, Interjection-the eight parts of speech. I also learned HOUSE to remember the great lakes. However, all the acronyms around on the internet have long since replaced the ones I learned in grade school.

And, somewhat OT, at some point during my frosh year of high school I came across the following math fact:

Given that y=x+1, y^2=x^2+x+y+1

I can't count the number of quickies I've been able to do (in math!) because of that little thing. Allows me, for example, to save time on one problem and move on to the next.

Danielinthewolvesden
06-17-2000, 09:24 PM
I'm surprised no one did this one yet.

stalaGmite - on the Ground

stalaCtite - on the Ceiling

I remember them by "stalactites hang tight, stalagmites wish they might"

friedo
06-17-2000, 10:34 PM

That's for Application, Presentation, Session, Transport, Network, Datalink, and Physical.

My all-time favorite was from 9th grade biology:

I Put My Ass Together
Interphase, Peta(?)phase, Mesophase, Anaphase, Telophase

flup
06-17-2000, 11:46 PM
I use KMATPOLMOAU (AYHTATALOA) for "kicks more ass then a paralyzed, one-legged monkey on a unicycle (and you have to admit, that's a lot of ass). But it's trademarked ( http://www.tt3.org ) so none of you are allowed to use it. sorry.

Kiva
06-18-2000, 03:18 AM
For my Hinduism final on Wednesday, I invented:
Baseballs Kill Very Stupid Catchers

to help me remember the names of the different caste levels:
Brahmin
Kshatriya
Vaishya
Sudra
Candala (yeah, yeah, not technically part of the system)

The question wasn't even on the test.

DVous Means
06-18-2000, 10:02 AM
I remember them by "stalactites hang tight, stalagmites wish they might"

Ever the one to see the ruder side of life, I remembered that when the tites come down, the mites go up.

KarlGauss wrote:

Oh, Oh, Oh, To Touch And Feel A Girl's Vagina, Ah Heavenly!

LOL!

One i learnt for the hazards of intravenous cannulation:

ET Has VD

E = extravasation
T = thrombophlebitis
H = haematoma
V = venous air embolism
D = disconnection with haemorrhage from veins

chique
06-18-2000, 12:49 PM
I learned the color codes on resistor bands as

Bad Beer Rots Our Young Guts But Vodka Goes Well.

Eutychus
06-18-2000, 01:50 PM
The Planets:

"Mother Very Easily Made Jam Sandwiches Using No Peanuts, Mayonaisse and Glue."

robinh
06-18-2000, 02:18 PM
You all should be very thankful I cannot locate the lyrics to the song that is nothing but dozens of mnemonics for the spectral class sequence, all to the tune of "Stars and Stripes Forever."

I can sing the 16 counties of the state of Maine to the tune of "Yankee Doodle Dandy."

Danielinthewolvesden
06-18-2000, 07:18 PM
The Planets:

Mayonaisse and Glue."

Two more planets????

Eutychus
06-18-2000, 07:26 PM
Two more planets????

Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto, Mickey and Goofy.

TaleraRis
06-19-2000, 02:40 AM
I think all these have been mentioned, but I'll say them again

King Phillip Came Over From Germany Stoned - Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species - and yes, that is exactly how my teacher taught us

Roy G Biv - you should know that one :P

Treble Clef - Every Good Boy Does Fine, F A C E

Bass Clef - All Cows Eat Grass, Good Boys Deserve Fudge Always

And I too was a subscriber to SOHCATOA (I think that was it) - tells how much it helped me that I can't even remember it
;)

Danielinthewolvesden
06-19-2000, 04:03 AM
BAD Moderator!! No troll meat for YOU tonite! :D

rivulus
06-19-2000, 04:25 AM
For the church modes:

I Don't Particularly Like Modes Anyway

Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Myxolydian, Aeolian

rivulus

xekul
06-19-2000, 03:53 PM
Loss of Electron: Oxidation.

Gain of Electron: Reduction.

Works for me....

Eve
06-19-2000, 04:05 PM
The train stations between Philadelphia and Bryn Mawr:

Old Maids Never Wed And Have Babies
(Overbrook, Merion, Narberth, Wynnewood, Ardmore, Haverford, Bryn Mawr).

I've used that one since I was a kid—little did I know it would become my autobiography!

JPetraliaX
06-19-2000, 04:07 PM
Math Mnemonics:

SOHCAHTOA Sin=Opp/Hyp Cos=Adj/Hyp Tan=Opp/Adj
I like this one better though:
Some Old Hippie Caught Another Hippie Tripping On Acid
Sin Opp Hyp Cos Adj Hyp Tan Opp Adj
Cool, eh?

PEMDAS (Order of Operations) Parenthesis, Exponents, Multiplication/Division, Addition/Subtraction. There's also "Please Excuse my Dear Aunt Sally" for this

LIATE (Integration by parts) This one helps you pick what to use for your u, and your dv.
L=Log I=Inverse Trig A=Algebra T=Trig E=Exponent
I had a little trouble remembering it, so I made it into "Lincoln Is A Tremendous Emancipator" Yes...I made that up, isn't it great?

(BdT-TdB)/B^2 (Quotient Rule for Derivatives)...I don't know of one...somebody help me...

I had a bunch for like Hero's rule, and stuff, but I don't think they could have been that great if I didn't remember them...

Eureka
06-19-2000, 05:28 PM
And there were never very many times when I needed to know more than about 3.14 anyway and didn't have my calculator(which still knows more digits than I do).

Eureka
06-19-2000, 05:29 PM
And there were never very many times when I needed to know more than about 3.14 anyway and didn't have my calculator(which still knows more digits than I do).

MadPoet
06-19-2000, 07:48 PM
From my sister's guitar instructor: Ever Acid Dealer Gets Busted Eventually.
Or my revised one, Bet Every Acid Dealer Gets Caught.
I play bass.

brachyrhynchos
06-19-2000, 08:22 PM
TaleraRis (and others) said:

King Phillip Came Over From Germany Stoned - Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species - and yes, that is exactly how my teacher taught us

I learned this as: Kindly Pay Cash Or Find Good Substitute.

Pretty boring, but I still use it.

kinoons
06-19-2000, 09:36 PM
um, lets see her, just a few EMT's use

A - airway
B - breathing
C - circulation

P - pain
Q - quality
R - radiation
S - severe
T - time of onset

A - allergies
M - medications
P - pain
L - last oral intake
E - events leading up to

C - chief compliant
H - history
A - assessment
R - treatment(rx)
T - transport

Apollyon
06-19-2000, 11:35 PM
And there were never very many times when I needed to know more than about 3.14 ...

Ahh.. just round to 3, it's close enough :)

OTOH, if you really need more digits... and if I can recall it correctly... PI to 20 places:

Sir, I bear a rhyme excelling
in mystic force and magic spelling
celestial spirits elucidate
all my own telling can't relate.

matt_mcl
06-20-2000, 01:04 AM
Que j'aime à faire apprendre un nombre utile aux sages!
Immortel Archimède, artiste ingénieur,
Qui de ton jugement peut priser la valeur?
Pour moi, ton problème eut de pareils avantages.

...count up the letters in each word (remember that j'aime is two words).

Tripler
06-20-2000, 05:30 AM
Okay, it's not really a mnemonic, but I use the knuckles on my hand to remember which months have 31 days. Here goes:

Curl your hands into two fists, and put your hands together, back of your hands toward your face. You should be looking at the "bumps" and "valleys" where your fingers meet the hand. Okay.

January has 31, so it's the bump of your left pinky.
February has 28, so it's the little valley between your left pinky and left ring finger.
March has 31, so it's the bump of your left ring finger.
April has 30, so it's the next valley, and so forth.

Just alternate valleys and bumps counting by the months. July and August both have 31 days, so they'll be the bumps of both your pointy fingers.

Trust me, it works.

Cynical1
06-20-2000, 08:30 AM
For the OSI model:

A
Particularly
Simple
Type of
Network
Design
PLEASE!

Kiva
06-20-2000, 03:06 PM
Just alternate valleys and bumps counting by the months. July and August both have 31 days, so they'll be the bumps of both your pointy fingers.

Trust me, it works

It does, but it seems a lot more complicated than just memorizing "30 days has September, April, June and November--all the rest have 31, except for February, blah blah blah"

Patty O'Furniture
02-19-2001, 02:32 PM
Wow- however did I miss this thread?

My mnemonic for remembering the resistor color code:

Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls But Violet Gives Willingly.

For the OSI reference model (from the bottom up):

Please Do Not Throw Sausage Pizza Away.

And for remembering vector relationships between current and voltage in inductive & capacitive circuits (this one is complicated; hang on tight):

ELI the ICE man: (supposedly a well known song from a thousand years ago, but it works for me anyway). Where E represents voltage, I represents current, L stands for an inductive circuit and C for a capacitive circuit. Hence: ELI means in an inductive circuit the voltage leads the current by 90°, and ICE means in a capacitive circuit the voltage lags the current by 90°.

I knew you'd be impressed. Now go be the life of some party somewhere.

soulsling
02-19-2001, 03:01 PM
The Planets: (as I was tought early on...)

My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine Pickles.

Soda
02-19-2001, 03:42 PM
You missed the best one!
Sado-masochistic barbecue - SMBBQ:
Staten Island, Manhattan, Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens

Scarlett67
02-19-2001, 04:35 PM
I've always used the names of the planets as their own mnemonic -- no need for mothers making sandwiches or any of that.

And I can sing the names of the 50 states in alphabetical order to the tune of "Fifty Nifty United States" from Let George Do It, the American Revolution-themed musical play that we performed in the second grade. It was my best Stupid Human Trick for a long time, but now that I'm a copyeditor it comes in handy when I run across a list of addresses or organizations by state in a manuscript. :D

ENugent
02-19-2001, 05:14 PM
Mother Very Thoughtfully Made A Jelly Sandwich Under No Protest.

(The "A" is the asteroid belt).

Baker
02-19-2001, 05:15 PM
Damn it Scarlett67, I thought I was going to get to be the first one to mention "Fifty Nifty United States", but on the LAST post before I ring in there you are!

I have another geography mnemonic :George eats old gray rats and paints houses yellow.

bluecanary
02-19-2001, 06:40 PM
"Never separate a para from his parachute" (to spell separate)

"Please Stop Cars Motorbikes and Zebras Invading Tiny Leicester City, Making Sausage Gravy Pink" [:)]

For the reactivity series of metals

FeMAle

Force = Mass * Acceleration

DeSTination

Distance = Speed * Time

Yes, I use SOHCAHTOA still now as well

Annie-Xmas
02-20-2001, 08:34 AM
Remembering how to set a table: fork and left both have four letters, so the fork goes on the left. Spoon, knife, and right all have five letters, so the spoon and knife go on the right.

I can also spit out my company's tax i.d. # without thinking cause I came up with a code for it. Impresses the hell out of people who ask for it. But I'm not posting that here.

LazarusLong42
02-20-2001, 10:08 AM
I'm surprised no one tosed this one in here. My high school chem teacher gave us:

"Have No Fear Of Ice CoLd BeeR."

The capitalized letters are the seven elements (hydrogen, nitrogen, fluorine, oxygen, iodine, chlorine, bromine) which form autodiatomic molecules in nature.

LL

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.