PDA

View Full Version : Inconsiderate Assholes with Strollers/Baby Carriages

Strainger
11-22-2004, 01:28 PM
Note: This rant does not apply to considerate non-assholes with strollers/baby carriages. Just want to head that potential pile-on off at the pass.

God this pisses me off to no end. Why is it that, just because a person possesses some sort of baby transport device (frequently unoccupied except for merchandise), said person feels that he/she is no longer obligated to follow societal rules regarding personal right of way. So frequently, I've been subjected to some jackass steering his deluxe SUV-sized baby stroller with DVD player, mag wheels, and DORRANCE #5X STAINLESS STEEL HOOKS into my ankles because apparently, all must now yield to the baby stroller. (E.g. coming out of a store as I'm walking by, steering the carriage into my path, etc.)

I tell you what, jackass, that is most certainly not the case, and if you're going to bump me, I'll bump back (assuming the stroller is unoccupied, which, as I stated earlier, it often is). Either that, or I'm going to get all up in your face about it, at which point you owe me an apology, not some dorky incredulous look as if you don't know what's going on. Dumbshit.

And while I'm at it, if you're one of these pricks who insists on walking down the middle of the parking lot aisle rather than to either side, there's a good chance I'll be using your ass as a hood ornament.

Thank God I can now shop for Christmas presents on the Internets. There'd be a clock tower with my name on it otherwise.

MsRobyn
11-22-2004, 01:53 PM
I agree with you 100%, but if I can add my own rant as a stroller-pusher.

I am sick and fucking tired of having to navigate my way around people who stop dead in their tracks to chat or look at stuff. I don't expect the right-of-way all the time, but once in a while, it would be nice if people would take a minute to consider where they are and move to a more appropriate place away from the flow of traffic.

Thank you. That is all.

Robin

Strainger
11-22-2004, 02:23 PM
I am sick and fucking tired of having to navigate my way around people who stop dead in their tracks to chat or look at stuff. As a non-carriage pushing person, I agree with this as well.

Demo
11-22-2004, 02:24 PM
And while I'm at it, if you're one of these pricks who insists on walking down the middle of the parking lot aisle rather than to either side, there's a good chance I'll be using your ass as a hood ornament.

Grrr. I HATE these people. I usually drive about a foot behind them for a few seconds until they realize and jump out of the way. I wish running over idiotic people was legal. Especially at CostCo.

Time Like Tears
11-22-2004, 02:29 PM
I'll add my two cents as a server. The restaurant in which I currently toil is set up rather oddly. We have this thingy in the middle of the dining room, we call it a snake, because it undulates sort of, on one side are two-top tables, about 7 of them, and on the other are two large kidney shaped seven-tops. Padded bench all around. So, basically, there's not a whole lot of maneuvering room to begin with.

Enter lady with OUTRAGEOUSLY huge double stroller. (double rant, sort of here.) She bypasses the hostess, and goes around to one of the seven-tops, with 5 kids in tow, and parks her manual minivan right in the aisle. This is bad enough, with 4 servers on the floor, all trying to walk through this particular space. Okay, so she and her insufferable brats eat their lunch (brats because they were aged in a range from 2 yrs. to 8 yrs., and immediately began to dump parmesan cheese all over, throw sugar packs...you know, kids in restaurants) and then she loads the stroller up again, whips it around to face the front door, and whacks straight into a server, who lost the pizza she was carrying all over the stroller.

Now while this inconsiderate lady's stroller getting all pizza-y was kinda funny, what wasn't was when she demanded to see the manager and that someone pay for a new stroller and her kids' outfits. Thank goodness our manager is cool, and what he said was "Look, ma'am. We just let you slide with causing a fire hazard that could have cost us over $1000. Consider it even."

C3
11-22-2004, 02:42 PM
I'm a baby stroller owner - a one-seater, not too big, and I think I'm probably pretty considerate. What pisses me off is that stores can't manage to make their aisles big enough to get the thing through. Now, a little, tiny gift shop I can maybe see (although I wonder how anyone in a wheelchair would be able to manage it either). But, why in the HELL would they cram so much into the CHILDREN'S CLOTHES SECTION that you can't get a stroller through there without knocking things off the racks, giving your kid whiplash, and raising your blood pressure to dangerous levels???!!!?!? It drives me insane.

I don't think people running into you, though, is necessarily a stroller-owner thing. I was Christmas shopping the other day sans baby and I swear someone bumped into me every 5 feet. I must be invisible. Merry Christmas.

ivylass
11-22-2004, 02:49 PM
Ivylad almost got into a fight at Disney World because of this. An honest-to-God fistfight.

We were standing in line trying to feed through the turnstyle when some guy in one of those tandem strollers (two seats, one behind the other) ran into Ivylad's cane. Due to his bad back, my husband cannot get around without a cane.

The guy very snottily turned to him and said, "Excuse you."

Ivylad, never one to shrink from a confrontation, got up in the guy's face and pointed out he was the one who ran into him. Stroller Asshole pointed out he had two little kids and he should have the right of way.

Stroller Asshole's wife and I separated our respective husbands, and we went on our way.

Gala Matrix Fire
11-22-2004, 03:18 PM
I get a particular kick out of people who push their (occupied) strollers into moving traffic in order to get the traffic to stop. Because if you're going to stop a two-ton vehicle that's going forty-five miles an hour, it's best to use a four-pound piece of aluminum in which your precious baby snookums is sleeping.

Lord Ashtar
11-22-2004, 03:22 PM
Now while this inconsiderate lady's stroller getting all pizza-y was kinda funny, what wasn't was when she demanded to see the manager and that someone pay for a new stroller and her kids' outfits. Thank goodness our manager is cool, and what he said was "Look, ma'am. We just let you slide with causing a fire hazard that could have cost us over $1000. Consider it even."
Your boss kicks ass.

smartini
11-22-2004, 03:26 PM
Strainger - Once an asshole, always an asshole -- becoming a parent just gives them the opportunity to pass their assholery on to another generation. I doubt this is new behavior, they just have a new weapon.

My related pet peeve is when I am shopping somewhere like TJ Maxx where shopping carts are available. I'm (sans cart) looking at clothes between two crowded racks and here comes someone barreling in with a big-ass shopping cart, not looking at any of the clothes, and screeches to a halt expecting me to..what? swing from the rack so they can get by? Nooo, they want me to back out of the space and let them through so they don't have to go over to the open aisles to get to the next department. What planet are these people from? Can we send them back?

C3 -- I don't think you are invisible. I think you just need some more characters in your name ;)
Sorry, couldn't resist with that comment and your name!

Eve
11-22-2004, 03:39 PM
And there's those damn idiot women who let their baby carriages go tumbling down the steps of Odessa every time the Cossacks start shooting.

Barked my shin on the little bastard, I did.

Chefguy
11-22-2004, 03:39 PM
Perhaps I've just been out of touch, but what is with these monster baby carriages? On a recent trip to Vancouver, BC I couldn't get over these things. They're were like infant Hummers, for Og's sake, each one larger and more aggressive than the next. And the ones for twins or two kids? Ho-lee cripes! More than once, I had to step off the sidewalk in order to let one of these things go by.

Stuffy
11-22-2004, 03:44 PM
My own related pet peeve. Almost every single time I go to Barnes & Noble some inconsiderate ass pushing one of those tandem strollers parks the fucking thing right in front of the new releases, walks three feet away to have a book discussion with some other clowns. So here I am, a)trying to figure out which asshat is the parent of the abandoned child or b) attemting to find what I'm looking for while hovering over someone else's spawn while of course being stared at as if I'm sone kind of pedophile/kidnapper. I swear I'm tempted to push the thing a couple of aisles over just to see the fuckers losing it.

CrankyAsAnOldMan
11-22-2004, 03:51 PM
. But, why in the HELL would they cram so much into the CHILDREN'S CLOTHES SECTION that you can't get a stroller through there without knocking things off the racks, giving your kid whiplash, and raising your blood pressure to dangerous levels???!!!?!? It drives me insane.

Yeah, I noticed that too when we were in the stroller stage. It's like, um, hey, retailer? Your main clientele, the people you're trying to sell to, are probably going to have carts and strollers. And they're not going to come in and spend money if they can't advance two feet without raking down a dozen hangers of wittle biddy cutesie jumpers.

Our local maternity shop was the same way. I was thinner then (for those of you inclined to snark about my large, wide ass) and found my pregnant belly could hardly make it through the store. Hint to the manager: I'm probably not the only person with a pregnant belly that might be shopping here!

An Arky
11-22-2004, 03:52 PM
Whut we have heeyah is a basic wiring thing. There's two kinds of people: People who are oblivious to the fact that they are IN THE WAY and people who want to kick the everloving shit out of them.

Strainger
11-22-2004, 03:57 PM
And while I'm at it, the sign at the airport says, "One carry-on and one personal item per passenger," not, as many people seem to think, "One carry-on and one personal item per passenger, unless you have kids in which case it's perfectly OK to drag on approximately 15 carry-on items per passenger in your party."

RTFirefly
11-22-2004, 04:26 PM
Whut we have heeyah is a basic wiring thing. There's two kinds of people: People who are oblivious to the fact that they are IN THE WAY and people who want to kick the everloving shit out of them.Another shopping-cart variety of these: in your typical grocery store, there's room for one cart on each side, but there's no getting by a cart in the middle of the aisle. So why the Sam Hill do people leave their carts in the middle while they examine the nearby shelves? Usually they're polite enough about moving their carts when they realize I'd like to get by, but why didn't they leave their cart next to the shelves on one side to begin with?

RTFirefly
11-22-2004, 04:27 PM
That should be "your typical grocery store aisle".

C3
11-22-2004, 04:34 PM
And while I'm at it, the sign at the airport says, "One carry-on and one personal item per passenger," not, as many people seem to think, "One carry-on and one personal item per passenger, unless you have kids in which case it's perfectly OK to drag on approximately 15 carry-on items per passenger in your party."

What exactly were they dragging, do you know? I'm asking because we traveled from South Carolina to Australia with a 10 month old (36 hours door to door). We had a stroller and the airlines had us take it with us up the gangplank. We were told to leave it there (along with about 16 other strollers). The airline then stowed it somewhere for the flight. So, in addition to our three carry-ons (one for each person, TYVM), we were dragging the stroller. It probably looked like we were moving our whole house on board. What we were carrying, though, was clean diapers, toys so that our baby didn't scream during the flight, bottles & assorted paraphernalia (again, so that our baby didn't scream during the flight), and assorted clothing for him so that he didn't freeze or sweat and, thus, scream during the flight.

(On our leg from Chicago to LA, we entered the plane with me first, holding the baby, and my husband behind me, with the bags. As we passed through first class, a woman looked at my husband and said, "I've been there, Dad. Good luck on the flight!" It was JAMIE LEE CURTIS! How cool!)

LavenderBlue
11-22-2004, 04:35 PM
I get a particular kick out of people who push their (occupied) strollers into moving traffic in order to get the traffic to stop. Because if you're going to stop a two-ton vehicle that's going forty-five miles an hour, it's best to use a four-pound piece of aluminum in which your precious baby snookums is sleeping.

Works in reverse. I've attempted to cross the street on the green light many times only to have lunatic speeders nearly run me over with their SUV's while making turns. Because lord knows it would be real tragedy if you actually stopped for five seconds for the lady with the toddler and the baby carriage on your way to Walleyworld.

Voyager
11-22-2004, 04:39 PM
Another shopping-cart variety of these: in your typical grocery store, there's room for one cart on each side, but there's no getting by a cart in the middle of the aisle. So why the Sam Hill do people leave their carts in the middle while they examine the nearby shelves? Usually they're polite enough about moving their carts when they realize I'd like to get by, but why didn't they leave their cart next to the shelves on one side to begin with?

Then there are the people who do park on one side, and then kneel to examine the merchandise on the other side, blocking the entire aisle. Or those that if they see a person with a cart parked on the left, park their's on the right 2 inches away. Or those that park on the side, and have their horde of brats filling up the rest of the aisle.

Macy's here got sued for having their aisles so close together wheel chairs couldn't get through. It is not totally irrational though, I believe the more merchandise they display, the more the sales, so they have an incentive to cram things together. Of course it looks cheap.

Ivylass, I think Ivylad needs a sword cane for Christmas. :)

ivylass
11-22-2004, 07:26 PM
Works in reverse. I've attempted to cross the street on the green light many times only to have lunatic speeders nearly run me over with their SUV's while making turns. Because lord knows it would be real tragedy if you actually stopped for five seconds for the lady with the toddler and the baby carriage on your way to Walleyworld.

That (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orl-deadly21nocharges112104nov21,1,5516640.story) recently happened here.

Some self-important college student was on her cell phone, ran a red light, and hit a mother walking home her five-year-old from school with her little sister in the stroller.

CrankyAsAnOldMan
11-22-2004, 08:42 PM

Actually, I'd rather see a parent dragging on a backpack and diaperbag and armloads of stuff for the kids to do/play with/eat/drink/be distracted by. I'm more optimistic about a flight where the kidlets aren't so noticeable.

I travel heavy with the kid--I always think about being on those flights that were stuck on the ground in Detroit for 12 hours, out of water, etc. So I pack the carryons like I'm going on a week's expedition across the south pole.

Flutterby
11-22-2004, 08:43 PM
That (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orl-deadly21nocharges112104nov21,1,5516640.story) recently happened here.

Some self-important college student was on her cell phone, ran a red light, and hit a mother walking home her five-year-old from school with her little sister in the stroller.

That's my worst fear, of being hit like that. (Well, among my worst fears) There's been a couple of times when I'm trying to cross this little road to get to the bus stop (There's a main road, then a median and little more than a single lane road in front of the houses so they can drive and park there) and I'm starting to walk then this person will come from nowhere zooming down the road. I'm pretty sure the speed is supposed to be slower than the main drag too. I'm very careful at that spot, and will be even more so in winter. It's not like I have a choice and not cross there.

My stroller rant:

I have a stroller too, but I really dislike doing the defensive driving. Watch where you're going! Don't run into my stroller, I'm doing my damndest to not run into yours and neither of our children like the jostling I'm sure.

And don't butt in line for the elevators. I know it's a pain you can only fit 3 strollers max in there (plus maybe 5 people depending how big they are) but the elevator goes up, and the elevator comes down. You can wait just like I did, the mall is busy and you're not going to get anywhere fast even though you push the stroller like you're in a crash derby.

Diogenes the Cynic
11-22-2004, 09:20 PM
It's not just the size of the carts, it's the size of the kids in those damn things. They're not just infants, some of those kids look like they're 6,7,8 years old and they're lolling around in those things like little sultans, pointing at what they want. A whole generation of kids is getting so spoiled and catered to that I don't know how they're going to function as adults. when I see what looks like a 3rd grader in one of those carts I just want to yell at the lazy little bastards to get out and walk. No kid that can walk should be in a stroller.

Our daughter quite riding in strollers by the time she was two and even the stroller we did have was a little lightweight, collapsible thing that took up hardly any room.

So many people these days seem to think they're entitled to some sort of fawning deference from everyone else just because they've managed to reproduce. You can see the expressions on their faces as they come barrelling around corners. They just take it as a given that you will get out of their way because they are special because they have the fucking Christ Child in a Winnebago stroller.

I wonder how those parents are going to feel when the kid is 28 and still living at home and doesn't have a job.

FilmGeek
11-22-2004, 09:40 PM
And there's those damn idiot women who let their baby carriages go tumbling down the steps of Odessa every time the Cossacks start shooting.

And then, AND THEN, they have the audacity to shoot you in the eye. Fuckers.

fessie
11-22-2004, 10:05 PM
I figure the amount of crap a Mom is dragging around is directly proportional to her terror level. When I first started out in this baby endeavor, I packed everything I could get my hands on & took it all with me. Need nails clipped? Gotcha. Nose syringe? Covered. And if you see a mom dragging tons of junk and her hair's in a ponytail & she's not wearing any lipstick, there's an excellent chance you're looking at a woman who hasn't slept in the past month. In which case the only smart move is to stay out of her way.

Just for the record, the absolute WORST outing we've had yet with the twins occurred yesterday SANS STROLLER. Hubby and I took them both to the grocery store with us and then each of us took a kid and a cart. We accomplished less together than either of us would've alone. So I hear this wailing child approaching and looking over I realize, egad, that's MY kid! And that desperate looking man is MY husband! I actually KNOW these people! However, everyone in the checkout line remarked about how cute they are (which is true).

Now today the kids and I managed to get through Target with nary a mishap. Bryce chewed on his sister's shoe the whole time (while it was still on her foot) but he didn't manage to get his own shoe off until we were back to our car.

AwSnappity
11-22-2004, 10:15 PM
DORRANCE #5X STAINLESS STEEL HOOKS
Oh my God, I love you.

7 up yours
11-22-2004, 10:16 PM
I remember something that happened back when I was still in high school, and being the typical teenage high school kid, my friends and I were "hanging out" at the mall. We were waiting in line to buy food, and it was one of those food court chinese places where you tell the people behind the counter what to scoop into your plate and move along when they're done. So we got our scoops of slop, and the woman behind us had a mall-rented stroller which was big and plastic, and designed to look like a mini-taxi. She was pushing it back and forth, in what I think was an attempt to rock the kid. She kept pushing it into the back of my friend's ankle, and for the first three times, she ignored it. Then she twirled around and glared at the lady. The lady looks at her glare, giggles, and says "Sooooorreeee." About two seconds pass, and the lady does it again. Another death glare from my friend, and the lady says "Oooooops!" After another two seconds, she starts pushing the stroller again, and my friend lost her cool and half slammed, and half threw the pile of slop onto the lady and her kid. She walked away cooly, and I stood there just :eek: .

Diogenes the Cynic
11-22-2004, 10:25 PM
and my friend lost her cool and half slammed, and half threw the pile of slop onto the lady and her kid. She walked away cooly, and I stood there just :eek: .
Not cool to slop the baby but I'm fine with fragging the mom.

So what did the lady do after that?

Flutterby
11-22-2004, 10:31 PM
It's not just the size of the carts, it's the size of the kids in those damn things. They're not just infants, some of those kids look like they're 6,7,8 years old and they're lolling around in those things like little sultans, pointing at what they want. A whole generation of kids is getting so spoiled and catered to that I don't know how they're going to function as adults. when I see what looks like a 3rd grader in one of those carts I just want to yell at the lazy little bastards to get out and walk. No kid that can walk should be in a stroller.

That reminds me, one day I was wandering the mall and I walked past this other lady pushing a stroller. She had a baby, no more than 6 months old I'd guess, under one arm. I glanced back, because I like to get a look at the other babies as I pass.. and did a double take when I realized there was a girl about 7 or so lazing in the stroller. She was awake, didn't look like there was anything wrong with her (and I realize that's no indication of anything but she was sitting over the tray and not strapped in; which I doubt any parent would do if there was a good reason to be pushing her in the stroller). I wanted to pull her out so the mom could let her arm have a rest from carrying the baby!

CanvasShoes
11-22-2004, 11:16 PM
Note: This rant does not apply to considerate non-assholes with strollers/baby carriages. Just want to head that potential pile-on off at the pass.

<--------Glances at OP's post count......

Yup, he's been around for awhile. I'll betchoo a dark choccy dove bar that this thread won't make it without SOMEONE crankily coming in to defend their own stroller use

:D

flodnak
11-23-2004, 03:33 AM
Perhaps I've just been out of touch, but what is with these monster baby carriages? On a recent trip to Vancouver, BC I couldn't get over these things. They're were like infant Hummers, for Og's sake, each one larger and more aggressive than the next. And the ones for twins or two kids? Ho-lee cripes! More than once, I had to step off the sidewalk in order to let one of these things go by. Both times I had a child of Stroller Age, I was lucky enough to live within walking distance of a small but pleasant shopping district. I often chose to walk to the store, pushing the pram or stroller, to pick up milk or bread or whatever other little thing we needed. On days when I didn't have some shopping to do, I'd often take the baby out anyway, for fresh air for both of us and a bit of exercise for me.

I couldn't imagine doing that with an itty bitty umbrella stroller. Both kids had a real, old-fashioned pram, and when they outgrew that, they had a stroller with a seat that fastened to the undercarriage that had carried the pram bed. Why? For one thing, they spent a lot of time in there - often we'd be out for well over an hour. I wanted them to be comfortable, I wanted their little necks and backs to be properly supported. (I hate to see newborn babies propped up in umbrella strollers months before their bodies are ready to sit.) In addition, they are much better to push. Big wheels are more stable and roll easier when going over bumps... or through snow and slush. In bad weather, the kids were protected from drafts, there was plenty of room for warm clothes and blankets, and I could put a rain cover over the whole thing to keep them dry. Finally, it had a basket underneath that was great for carrying a diaper bag, groceries, or whatever else I wanted. If you're really going to use it, a big stroller or pram is a wonderful thing.

Of course, when you see the ones that live in the trunk of the car and only come out to be pushed around the mall... those, I couldn't tell ya.

Martin Hyde
11-23-2004, 03:51 AM
I tend to think parents of children who aren't old enough to walk should be relegated to second or third class citizenship.

They shouldn't be allowed to go to the movies, ride on public or mass transit of any kind, go to restaurants, et cetera with their children.

For the absolute necessities like grocery and food they can bring their children out into he world but they have to pay a 10% inconvenience tax on every purchase, the proceeds of which are routed into my bank accounts.

Scissorjack
11-23-2004, 04:02 AM
I tend to think parents of children who aren't old enough to walk should be relegated to second or third class citizenship.

They shouldn't be allowed to go to the movies, ride on public or mass transit of any kind, go to restaurants, et cetera with their children.

For the absolute necessities like grocery and food they can bring their children out into he world but they have to pay a 10% inconvenience tax on every purchase, the proceeds of which are routed into my bank accounts.

Troll much?

thinksnow
11-23-2004, 06:57 AM
So many people these days seem to think they're entitled to some sort of fawning deference from everyone else just because they've managed to reproduce. You can see the expressions on their faces as they come barrelling around corners. They just take it as a given that you will get out of their way because they are special because they have the fucking Christ Child in a Winnebago stroller.

I wonder how those parents are going to feel when the kid is 28 and still living at home and doesn't have a job.Bravo! So often I disagree with you, but I've got to say, you are 100% dead on point with this: the sense of entitlement people seem to display thee days is just mind-boggling at times.

I just hope that there are enough of us "old-timers" in the work force when these privileged brats try to get jobs that they will receive the awakening to the Real World (tm) they should have gotten years ago.

Well stated, DtC.

Mr. Moto
11-23-2004, 07:46 AM
DtC, I seldom agree with you about anything at all. The exception is your views on child rearing, which I'm largely in agreement with.

You're a pretty good dad, from the looks of it, and that's really saying something. Given that I have three kids under the age of 3, I know firsthand how tough it can be doing the right thing by your kids.

Keep it up, and keep sharing tales and tips from your experience.

catsix
11-23-2004, 08:19 AM
Martin Hyde said:

The only thing that really irritates me about those with strollers are the inconsiderate clods who do things like run over my feet or park the stroller so that it's impossible to get around it. Back when I used public transportation, it was more than a little aggravating to have my foot run over half a dozen times so that some ass could try to fit a 3' wide stroller down the 2' wide aisle on the bus. Small stroller on the bus that doesn't get in the way and that I can actually get past when trying to exit the bus, no problem. Big ass stroller running over my foot or creating a barricade that prevents people exiting the bus, huge problem.

These people are usually those who are inconsiderate whether or not they have a stroller, and don't give a damn how many people they run into or mangle in order to keep with their effort that they, and by extension little snookums, is the most important person in the fucking world.

The absolute worst thing, though, was at the grocery store when they had the little tyke carts that the little snookums could push around to 'Help Mommy Shop'. Those things were a freaking disaster, and just the right height to run into the knees and do damage. Thankfully, they got rid of those.

Balle_M
11-23-2004, 09:10 AM

I had the same problem at a Chicago train station.

Kept spoiling my aim.

Ferret Herder
11-23-2004, 09:39 AM

I had the same problem at a Chicago train station.

Kept spoiling my aim.
I walk right past the latter location every work day on my commute. :D
I think some people are simply oblivious regardless of what they're doing, but a number of them seem to get some attitude about the fact since that they have a child, others must look out for them and not vice versa.

My husband was shopping at Costco, and had parked his shopping cart in the major aisle, pulled to the side against an endcap so he was out of the way while he was checking something out. He looked up and saw a woman leading her little kid by the hand, with enough room for her to walk right past his cart but smacking the kid face-first (before he had time to say anything) right into his nonmoving-for-the-past-couple-minutes cart. Kid falls on rear and cries, mom starts to yell at my husband for "running down" her child, then the dad runs up - obviously having seen the whole thing from a distance but not able to stop it in time - and apologizes to my husband, then takes his wife and kid and starts telling his wife how she needs to pay attention, as he hurries them off.

And when I visited Rome and went to their big flea market, the Porta Portese, I was wincing at seeing these little ones in regular, small strollers with their little bare feet sticking out the front. The crowd was literally shoulder-to-shoulder in that flea market, to the point where you were squeezing past people and often unable to see things like that the "empty" space on the other side of that big person in your way is actually occupied by a stroller. In that location, I was thinking that the somewhat bigger versions of strollers - at least so the baby wasn't so exposed and unprotected - might have been wiser.

scout1222
11-23-2004, 09:49 AM
AwSnappity, that was a nice touch, wasn't it?

:D

auntie em
11-23-2004, 09:57 AM
The absolute worst thing, though, was at the grocery store when they had the little tyke carts that the little snookums could push around to 'Help Mommy Shop'. Those things were a freaking disaster, and just the right height to run into the knees and do damage. Thankfully, they got rid of those.
Oh, we still have them! I can't tell you how many times I've been whapped in the back of the knees with those things!

Where do you live so I can move there?

Ms Boods
11-23-2004, 10:10 AM
Mum asked me to take her shopping at the mall here yesterday, and we borrowed a wheelchair for her (she is exhausted easily because of a blood disorder). Now my mum and I get on like a house afire -- we can be having a 'heated discussion' in a store, and literally have a 'OOOh, shiny!' sidetrack. It drives my dad nuts.

So we're messing about, me steering her around as if I were driving my car, parallel parking her by the fountain so she could read her book whilst I dashed into a tiny shop (or the one time she said, 'oh just leave me outside the store while you get your stuff, and I parked her facing a blank wall. It's those times when she reminds me what my full name is.) (yes she can turn around, and crikey No! I wouldn't have put/left her in such a situation if she couldn't have, no worries.)

Meanwhile, I was doing my best not to take up room, or run over people, excusing ourselves, and you know, people were really kind and made way, or ran to hold doors, etc. Until we came down one of those wide aisles in the main mall, and coming towards us was a couple with a massively larger, double stroller -- with the tiny ones lagging along and beside them on short, tired legs, because mum and dad had the stroller piled high with boxes and bags. Poor wee beasties could barely keep up with their parents, and said parents were slowly strolling along, oblivious to everyone else they were bumping in to and blocking, let alone their tired kids...

Strainger
11-23-2004, 10:35 AM
What exactly were they dragging, do you know?It looked to me like they were dragging a bunch of toddler stuff plus their luggage. Sorry folks, if you're making the quota with your baby stuff, you need to check your luggage; I don't care how small it is. There have been times where I was traveling overnight for business and checked my luggage anyway since I had to carry on some work-related stuff.

Perhaps I've just been out of touch, but what is with these monster baby carriages? Not only that, but of all the carriages I saw the other day, maybe about 40% were unoccupied by any sort of toddler or baby. I know it's nice to have something to carry your purchases in, but the damn malls are crowded enough as it is.

MsRobyn
11-23-2004, 10:40 AM

In a close second, if not tied for first, are those car-shaped carts. They're wide as hell and impossible to pass.

Robin

Steve MB
11-23-2004, 10:46 AM
It's not just the size of the carts, it's the size of the kids in those damn things. They're not just infants, some of those kids look like they're 6,7,8 years old and they're lolling around in those things like little sultans, pointing at what they want.... I wonder how those parents are going to feel when the kid is 28 and still living at home and doesn't have a job.
Exhausted from pushing a 28-year-old around in a giant stroller?

vivalostwages
11-23-2004, 10:52 AM
In a close second, if not tied for first, are those car-shaped carts. They're wide as hell and impossible to pass.

Robin

Agreed. I realize the store managers are trying to get kids used to the stores so that they too can become shoppers, but come on!

One more stroller rant: Whenever I'm at the farmers markets, invariably some idiot with a stroller will be right behind me so that when I'm finishing at a booth, I will turn around and practically fall over the stroller. Leave some space, folks, for your kid's sake and for mine!

ouryL
11-23-2004, 01:06 PM

God this pisses me off to no end. Why is it that, just because a person possesses some sort of baby transport device (frequently unoccupied except for merchandise), said person feels that he/she is no longer obligated to follow societal rules regarding personal right of way. So frequently, I've been subjected to some jackass steering his deluxe SUV-sized baby stroller with DVD player, mag wheels, and DORRANCE #5X STAINLESS STEEL HOOKS into my ankles because apparently, all must now yield to the baby stroller. (E.g. coming out of a store as I'm walking by, steering the carriage into my path, etc.)

I tell you what, jackass, that is most certainly not the case, and if you're going to bump me, I'll bump back (assuming the stroller is unoccupied, which, as I stated earlier, it often is). Either that, or I'm going to get all up in your face about it, at which point you owe me an apology, not some dorky incredulous look as if you don't know what's going on. Dumbshit.

Thank God I can now shop for Christmas presents on the Internets. There'd be a clock tower with my name on it otherwise.

Here in Waikiki, they decided to remove all roadside parking. One of the reasons was that a serious amount of people would jaywalk by pushing their baby carriages into the road before checking the traffic. And these weren't the Japanese tourists.

fessie
11-23-2004, 01:23 PM
Agreed. I realize the store managers are trying to get kids used to the stores so that they too can become shoppers, but come on!

*sniff*

But the only way to take two little ones up to Cub is to rely on their car-shaped cart. Only Costco has carts with two seats up front & sometimes you need some things they don't sell.

Geez.

Even though I try to be a considerate person, I might at some point run over a toe. Or I could be distracted by a fussy child and not notice that I've bumped into you. I'm not an expert at this, just doing my best.

If you'll forgive me for that, I'll forgive you for racing me to the door, cutting me off in the parking lot, asking inappropriate questions (all children are "natural"), and not being aware that there are other people nearby who have agendas different than your own.

Those kids who are walking while the stroller fills with packages? There's a reasonable chance some of them pitched a fit about being in the stroller and INSISTED on walking. Or those could be parents who are trying to fit a month's worth of errands into a single afternoon because they're struggling to keep up with the housework. The older kids in the strollers could be wanderers who would get lost if they weren't strapped in.

Sometimes speed is not the most important thing. For some of us, it's not even an option any more.

Knows she should've just skipped this thread

Flutterby
11-23-2004, 02:50 PM
The older kids in the strollers could be wanderers who would get lost if they weren't strapped in.

I can understand that too. The example I gave really surprised me though. She wasn't strapped in, she could easily have gotten out at any time (it was one of those big strollers) and she was draped over the top of the tray, not strapped in, with her skirt hiked up almost above her waist (if she had no underwear on she would've been flashing everyone).. Really there was no apparent reason she should be in there except she wanted to be while her mother tried to push her around and carry a small baby in her arms as well.

Spectre of Pithecanthropus
11-23-2004, 02:57 PM
I haven't been to the L.A. Zoo lately, but the last time I was I noticed that they have strollers for rent that are shaped like hippopotami, and have about a foot of extra length in front to represent the hippo's head. So, the parents with these strollers crowd around the popular exhibits like the elephants and the chimps, so there's like this 'vacuum' about three people deep around the enclosures, because these hippo strollers are so darn long.

And most of the kids in them are probably too young to be interested in zoo animals anyway.

CrankyAsAnOldMan
11-23-2004, 03:06 PM
*sniff*

But the only way to take two little ones up to Cub is to rely on their car-shaped cart. Only Costco has carts with two seats up front & sometimes you need some things they don't sell.

There there, hon. You've got twins? I can't even imagine. I thought having my one was going to nearly rob me of my sanity. I salute you for being able to leave the house at all.

I strongly suspect that the behaviors being complained about here aren't things you are guilty of. I think the target of these rants are inconsiderate parents, not parents in general.

Can I get you a cup of tea? Do 5-6 loads of laundry for you?

catsix
11-23-2004, 03:09 PM
auntie em said:
Where do you live so I can move there?

Pittsburgh. Haven't seen them at a single Dirty Bird (aka Giant Eagle) in the past year or so.

MsRobyn said:

Those suck too. I don't mind the ones with the big-ass two kid seat attached to the push-side because at least those aren't as wide as the car-carts.

fessie said:

Not so much a problem if you park the car-cart to the side of the aisle so that other people can get past. If you park in the middle of the aisle, oblivious to all who are also shopping, that's different.

Strainger
11-23-2004, 03:29 PM
Even though I try to be a considerate person, I might at some point run over a toe. Or I could be distracted by a fussy child and not notice that I've bumped into you. I'm not an expert at this, just doing my best.The people I'm talking about aren't distracted (not by their kids, anyway), they're completely oblivious to their surroundings.

Those kids who are walking while the stroller fills with packages? There's a reasonable chance some of them pitched a fit about being in the stroller and INSISTED on walking.I didn't mention kids. The ones I was refering doing didn't have any kids nearby, from what I could see. Although I could've easily missed them in the chaos. Regardless, as long as they watch where they're going (like I do) I don't have any beef with them one way or the other.

vivalostwages
11-23-2004, 03:31 PM
*sniff*

Geez.

Even though I try to be a considerate person, I might at some point run over a toe. Or I could be distracted by a fussy child and not notice that I've bumped into you. I'm not an expert at this, just doing my best.

If you'll forgive me for that, I'll forgive you for racing me to the door, cutting me off in the parking lot, asking inappropriate questions (all children are "natural"), and not being aware that there are other people nearby who have agendas different than your own.

Those kids who are walking while the stroller fills with packages? There's a reasonable chance some of them pitched a fit about being in the stroller and INSISTED on walking. Or those could be parents who are trying to fit a month's worth of errands into a single afternoon because they're struggling to keep up with the housework. The older kids in the strollers could be wanderers who would get lost if they weren't strapped in.

Sometimes speed is not the most important thing. For some of us, it's not even an option any more.

I'll just assume that "you" applies to other people and not me, since I don't cut off, race, or ask dumb questions like that (and I totally agree--no one has any business asking where the kid came from--it's a stupid inquiry and no one's business anyway).

What is Cub?

I was speaking here specifically of Albertson's. I really have no experience with the big bulk stores like CostCo or others. I should have clarified.

fessie
11-23-2004, 05:41 PM
It's not that there aren't a lot of inconsiderate turd burglars out there. There are. What always irritated me were the parents who thought the world was their child's field trip & we should all provide a narrative for their educational enlightenment. But then once you've crossed over into Parentville, things look a lot different.

Cranky you made me laugh. You're right, just getting out of the house is a major accomplishment.

Spectre the point of the zoo (at least in Chicago) has very little to do with the animals. It has to do with the numerous benches, handy snackbars, and wide, easily accessible lawns where one can change a diaper at a moment's notice.

easy e
11-23-2004, 06:54 PM
What is Cub?

I was speaking here specifically of Albertson's. I really have no experience with the big bulk stores like CostCo or others. I should have clarified.

Cub Foods is a grocery store, probably comparable to Albertson's. Though I wouldn't know, because in my entire life of living in the Midwest (Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota) I've never seen an Albertson's. Or a Kroeger's.

mhendo
11-23-2004, 10:28 PM

Some self-important college student was on her cell phone, ran a red light, and hit a mother walking home her five-year-old from school with her little sister in the stroller.And did you see this bit from the story? Yamilka Velez and her two little girls were trying to cross Goldenrod Road late last month when an SUV blew threw a red light.

Anjelica Velez, 5, and Victoria Velez, 2, were killed. Victoria's stroller lay crumpled on the side of the road.

Yet the driver -- who was talking on a cell phone, witnesses told police -- might face only a traffic ticket.Fuck that shit.

We've got to start getting tough on people who either can't drive, or are too fucking selfish to pay attention to anything on the road.

LavenderBlue
11-23-2004, 10:32 PM
A TRAFFIC TICKET???!!

That's all she might get for running over two children? That's insane!

ouryL
11-24-2004, 04:22 PM

We call the big ones, Dreadnaughts, after the battleship. :D

vivalostwages
11-24-2004, 07:47 PM
And if they run over you they are Juggernauts.

I saw one of those double-wide strollers just the other day in Robinsons May. I had to go another way to get out because this thing was taking up the whole aisle and the pusher [bad joke] seemed oblivious to everything.

Maybe they should make them vertical instead. Baby Segways.

Maybe not.

DefyingGravity
11-24-2004, 10:02 PM
There there, hon. You've got twins? I can't even imagine. I thought having my one was going to nearly rob me of my sanity. I salute you for being able to leave the house at all.
Can I get you a cup of tea? Do 5-6 loads of laundry for you?

Can I get in on this? I've been reading this thread with a lot of interest.

I have 12-month-old triplets. And yes, we have a triple stroller (actually we have three different kinds: a mall stroller, a stroller that carseats can snap into, and a big huge RunAbout stroller). I also have a 4-year-old. We tried for three years to have child number 2, and got children numbers 2-4. It happens.

Anyhoo, I am one of the good stroller moms; I can say I honestly try to stay out of people's way and my husband is a panicky stroller dad; he is so worried about getting in people's way that it occasionally is annoying. I think the worst that has happened is a bump into someone that decided to stop dead in the middle of the mall to chat or something. I apologized, but frankly they deserved it.

I agree with whoever said that I will take all the care I can, but I am not a second or third class citizen because I have a stroller and pre-walking kids. My kids need to get out of the house, *I* need to get out of the house, and with children who can't walk yet, the options are limited. When we go to the mall/grocery store/park we will be considerate of you, to the best of our abilities. In exchange, please do not:

1. TOUCH THE BABIES. Yes, triplets are interesting. Don't touch them. You wouldn't (well, hopefully) touch a stranger's singleton baby, what makes you think you can run over, ignore me, and start trying to PICK UP my kids and then call me a b*tch for telling you to stop?
2. Stop dead in traffic and cause a major holdup so that you can stare at me and the babies, causing everyone who is being heldup to blame me.
3. If I am standing at a crosswalk, in a parking lot or in a street, STOP YOUR GODDAMN CAR. It is the law. There is a GOOD REASON it's the law. I have actually had people SPEED UP when they see me waiting.
4. I will try to stay as close to the right in the BJ's/Costco's parking lot as I can. I will not hug the cars as I do not want to be suddenly surprised by a pair of reversing rear lights suddenly flashing on as a car backs out, unable to see us. In exchange, you will drive SLOWLY through the parking lot. You will not race down the aisles, and you will not BACKUP as fast as you can when you see a space open up, especially without consulting your rear view mirror.
5. Please keep your mobile children away from my stroller. Don't let the little germy critters near my kids. In exchange I will not set my very mobile and usually germy 4-year-old on yours. We have enough colds. While we're at it, keep your own germs away from us as well.
6. Yes, they are triplets. No, they are not identical (the fact that one is a girl and one boy is 10 pounds heavier than the other should give that away). It is none of your business if they "are natural or if I used drugs" - I didn't ask you about your sex life. Yes, they have their own personalities. Please do not inform me which is the cutest; they are beginning to understand things and do not need to receive this kind of information.
7. Please be understanding when I have to fit into the elevator. I can't help that the stroller is big. I will wait patiently but I have a right to be there too, as do my children.
8. In a mall, please do NOT use the handicapped/stroller ramps if you are not handicapped or in a stroller (or with someone who is). I can't count the times I've been trudging along pushing 3 babies and a 50-pound stroller up a ramp only to encounter a slackjawed group of women heading down it who stand like cows gaping at me and seem unable to move. The ramp is there for those who need it; for everyone else, go up/down the two fricking steps. This happened when I was very very pregnant and had to use a wheelchair to get around too.

Sorry. I got carried away. I have encountered my fair share of crappy stroller behavior/bad parenting but please don't lump everyone together into a "They're all full of this sense of entitlement." I have a sensitive spot especially when it comes to older kids in cars/strollers; my older child is very large for his age; when he was 3 he looked 5-6. He was a wanderer and *needed* those cars in order to be safe; when I was pregnant I couldn't chase him very well. The kid who looks old may just be big; my son used to always get odd looks when he acted like a 2-year-old and looked like a 4-year-old, etc., like he was retarded or badly brought up. I wish people wouldn't assume.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Karen

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.