PDA

View Full Version : Atypical settings for movies

matt_mcl
01-11-2005, 04:29 PM
The film The Jackal was pretty terrible, but hey, I have a taste for ludicrous action movies. One thing that struck me, though, was the settings, which included Helsinki, Montreal, and rural Ontario. It occurred to me that your average screenwriter would have made them, oh, London, Paris, and maybe upstate New York.

I don't really know what I'm trying to express -- just that it's an agreeable little startlement when a movie is set in a major city that you don't see movies set in too often.

Tapioca Dextrin
01-11-2005, 04:36 PM
Speaking of ludicrous action movies, our beloved Starship Troopers started out in Buenos Aries.

matt_mcl
01-11-2005, 04:39 PM
Think it's a bad action movie thing? Taking Lives was set in Montreal (which we could tell, because the establishing shots all showed Quebec City... *rolleyes*) and Moncton, New Brunswick (again, which we could tell from the Sûreté du Québec helicopter setting down in front of the Quebec City train station, which turned into Windsor Station in Montreal when they ran into it...)

Then again, you have those buttloads of disaster movies set in New York, Washington, and Los Angeles, for no apparent reason.

matt_mcl
01-11-2005, 04:42 PM
Oh, yeah, and all the Québécois have French-from-France accents... it's really quite hilarious.

DWMarch
01-11-2005, 04:50 PM
The Boondock Saints was set in Boston (but filmed in Toronto)... I haven't seen many movies set in Boston.

Tentacle Monster
01-11-2005, 05:05 PM
The movie Twentynine Palms was actually filmed in Twentynine Palms, CA.

Ephemera
01-11-2005, 05:08 PM
Then again, you have those buttloads of disaster movies set in New York, Washington, and Los Angeles, for no apparent reason.

Besides the Pyramids, the Kremlin, Big Ben, the Colloseum, and the Eiffel Tower, those cities are pretty much the only ones with monuments that the average Bruckheimer fan is going to recognize and watching the White House and the Statue of Liberty blow up is k3wl.

matt_mcl
01-11-2005, 05:50 PM
Besides the Pyramids, the Kremlin, Big Ben, the Colloseum, and the Eiffel Tower, those cities are pretty much the only ones with monuments that the average Bruckheimer fan is going to recognize and watching the White House and the Statue of Liberty blow up is k3wl.

Los Angeles?

betenoir
01-11-2005, 05:52 PM
The Boondock Saints was set in Boston (but filmed in Toronto)... I haven't seen many movies set in Boston.

You know what would be really novel? Actaully setting a movie in Toronto :D.

Rufus Xavier
01-11-2005, 05:57 PM
You know what would be really novel? Actaully setting a movie in Toronto :D.

but filming it in Boston.

matt_mcl
01-11-2005, 06:03 PM
Heh. Odd thing about the Jackal was that it had several scenes set in Montreal, but the climactic final chase sequence, set in the Washington metro, was filmed in the Montreal metro.

Oh, here's a non-cheesy, non-action movie that had a sequence set in Montreal for no apparent reason: The Red Violin.

Ephemera
01-11-2005, 06:34 PM
Los Angeles?

The Hollywood sign. Or a vast urban sprawl in general and one of the two cultural centers of America (don't laugh) in particular.

Sublight
01-11-2005, 08:21 PM
Blown Away, with Tommy Lee Jones and Jeff Bridges was set and filmed in Boston.

Mr. Blue Sky
01-11-2005, 08:27 PM
The crappy Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil was filmed and took place in my home town of Savannah, Georgia. Very few movies are set here.

matt_mcl
01-11-2005, 10:20 PM
The Hollywood sign. Or a vast urban sprawl in general and one of the two cultural centers of America (don't laugh) in particular.

Isn't it disturbing that the two biggest landmarks of Los Angeles (the Hollywood sign and Disneyland) are both in the suburbs, and one of them specifically refers to the suburb it's in?

(Now that I think of it, there's also the Hollywood Walk of Fame, but you can't really blow that up....)

As someone said once, Los Angeles: 19 suburbs in search of a metropolis.

Ludovic
01-12-2005, 12:07 AM
Upstate NY? The only ones I can think of are Road Trip and one scene in Mars Attacks! Both of which were played mainly for the rural/college town humor value.

Now, if you had to pick a state to film a modern epic in, NY would be a decent place to film in, since per square mile it's about the most geographically diverse state. But you have those pesky areas of population in the way of historical epics.

edwino
01-12-2005, 12:18 AM
I suppose because Jack Nicholson was an astronaut, Terms of Endearment was set in Houston. Movies filmed/set here are cherished -- Reality Bites, The Chase (with Charlie Sheen -- my wife was an extra), Tin Cup and of course Urban Cowboy (except with some googling shows that it in fact wasn't filmed in Houston), Paris, Texas, and a few others.

Ranchoth
01-12-2005, 01:06 AM
The Crow was set in Detroit.

Innocent Blood was set in Pittsburgh, as I remember.

A couple of Hitchcock movies are set in Santa Rosa, and surrounding areas, in Northern California. Not far from where I live.

And it's not really explict onscreen, but the last two episodes of Bubblegum Crisis are actually set in suburban Topeka, Kansas.

Ok, I might have made one of those up.

Tapioca Dextrin
01-12-2005, 01:09 AM
Bubba Ho Tep was set in Nacogdoches (http://www.ci.nacogdoches.tx.us/).

Cisco
01-12-2005, 01:21 AM
Now, if you had to pick a state to film a modern epic in, NY would be a decent place to film in, since per square mile it's about the most geographically diverse state. But you have those pesky areas of population in the way of historical epics.
Hmmm, care to elaborate? I can't imagine NY State even coming close to CA in diversity. California has ocean (subdivided into islands, different kinds of beaches; rocky, sandy, etc.), mountains, urban areas, sweepings plains/grasslands, rolling hills, almost tropical looking areas, deserts, and huge forests. The parts of NY I've been to have, well, lots of trees . . .

Alessan
01-12-2005, 01:31 AM
Both the Rocky films and the first two M. Night Shamalamadingdong (Sixth Sense and Unbreakeable) films were set in Philadelphia. Coincidence?

look!ninjas
01-12-2005, 07:40 AM
Grosse Pointe Blank is set in Grosse Pointe, though I can't really vouch for how much time they spent filming there (although I've been there a couple of times, and some things certainly looked familiar). The Virgin Suicides is also set in Grosse Pointe, at least in the book; the movie is a lot more ambiguous about the location.

msmith537
01-12-2005, 07:55 AM
The Crow Innocent Blood was set in Pittsburgh, as I remember.
[/SIZE]

Striking Distance was also set in Pittsburgh.

Harold & Khumar go to White Castle started out in Hoboken, NJ.

bienville
01-12-2005, 07:56 AM
My own Private Idaho - Portland, OR

Northfork - Montana

King of the Hill (the Soderbergh film not the cartoon show) - St. Louis, MO

Oh, and there's more but I have to go now.

Hey, It's That Guy!
01-12-2005, 08:03 AM
The Score (with Robert DeNiro, Edward Norton, and Marlon Brando) was set somewhere in Canada--Toronto, I think.

The movie version of The Punisher, a comic book vigilante who for decades was synonymous with New York City, was inexplicably set in Tampa, Florida. I still think this is because John Travolta, who plays the film's villain, lives in nearby Clearwater (a major Scientologist stronghold) and didn't want to leave.

I don't think nearly enough movies are set in New Orleans. It's a beautiful, exotic, picturesque, and mysterious American city with plenty of European flair, and it is truly like no place else in the country or the world.

Governor Quinn
01-12-2005, 09:16 AM
Isn't it disturbing that the two biggest landmarks of Los Angeles (the Hollywood sign and Disneyland) are both in the suburbs, and one of them specifically refers to the suburb it's in?

Hollywood has been part of the City of Los Angeles since 1910 (http://www.losangelesalmanac.com/topics/Cities/ci89a.htm)

On topic: Sacramento gets used fairly frequently as a film location, but I don't believe I've ever seen a film that acknowledges that it is Sacramento.

Equipoise
01-12-2005, 09:39 AM
Sissy Spacek's first film, Prime Cut (also starred Gene Hackman and Lee Marvin), was set and filmed in Kansas City, Missouri and the Lawrence, Kansas area. It's an odd movie, but I've always liked it. White slavery and mob guys in the heartland; a beautiful and vulnerable Spacek (and for the guys, full frontal nudity); a chance to see the gorgeous Angel Tompkins; a thresher making mincemeat of a mob limo; Hackman making sausage and hot dogs (literally) out of his enemies; Hackman as a wonderfully cheerful and creepy bad mob guy; Marvin as a wonderfully grumpy nice mob guy; and a great cameo by Eddie Egan (the real "Popeye Doyle" from The French Connection)...what's not to love?

*nostalgia about seeing Prime Cut at the Drive-in several times in 1972 in a small town in Kansas and wishing Prime Cut were on DVD*

Oh, sorry, what was the question?

Mr. and Mrs. Bridge was set and filmed in a posh suburb of Kansas City (Mission Hills, Kansas) and in Kansas City, MO. Of course, The Day After was set and filmed in Kansas City and Lawrence too.

Evil Captor
01-12-2005, 10:04 AM
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil was set in Savannah, Georgia, which was a major character in the film.

Evil Captor
01-12-2005, 10:05 AM
And the movie "Cat People" was set in New Orleans and did a great job of conveying its Gothic beauty.

Agrippina
01-12-2005, 10:38 AM
"The Road to Wellville" was set in turn-of-the-century Battle Creek, Michigan, but I think it was filmed near the Catskills.

matt_mcl
01-12-2005, 10:53 AM
The Score (with Robert DeNiro, Edward Norton, and Marlon Brando) was set somewhere in Canada--Toronto, I think.

Montreal.

I should note that I'm not really counting a) domestic productions (other than the U.S.); naturally, a Canadian filmmaker has a much better chance of setting something in Regina than an American one does; or b) cases where the film is really about the city in question (such as Paris, Texas or the like) rather than having been just dumped there randomly.

AncientHumanoid
01-12-2005, 11:04 AM
Fargo

photopat
01-12-2005, 11:09 AM
Field of Dreams, Country (with Jessica Lange and Sam Shepard) and Sleeping with the Enemy (Julia Roberts) were all set, at least in part, in Iowa. The last one was filmed in part in my old college town of Cedar Falls.

Spoons
01-12-2005, 01:43 PM
You know what would be really novel? Actaully setting a movie in Toronto I think the film was French Kiss, with Meg Ryan and Kevin Kline. Toronto played a small role.

Ryan plays a woman from Toronto who flies to France for some reason. The film begins in her family's Toronto home, with Dad watching the Maple Leafs playing hockey (hey, in Canada, hockey is on TV 24/7/365, dont'cha know :rolleyes: ). Naturally, Ryan flies Air Canada to France, where most of the film takes place.

But why Toronto? Except for the Air Canada product placement, there is really no reason for Ryan to be Canadian, or from Toronto. She might as well have been from Pittsburgh, Denver, or Boston, for all her Canadian-ness had to do with the plot.

Oh, yeah, and all the Québécois have French-from-France accents... it's really quite hilarious.Ever seen The Whole Nine Yards? It is set in Montreal, and Montreal does indeed play itself, but one character's Quebecoise wife sounds like she'd be more at home walking down the Champs Elysees rather than Rene Levesque Boulevard.

(Apologies for the lack of necessary accents on the French names, but I'm unsure how to do them on this machine.)

Bridget Burke
01-12-2005, 02:16 PM
I suppose because Jack Nicholson was an astronaut, Terms of Endearment was set in Houston. Movies filmed/set here are cherished -- Reality Bites, The Chase (with Charlie Sheen -- my wife was an extra), Tin Cup and of course Urban Cowboy (except with some googling shows that it in fact wasn't filmed in Houston), Paris, Texas, and a few others.

Terms of Endearment was set in Houston because it's based on a Larry McMurtrey novel that was set in Houston. Larry spent some time at Rice University & used the city for several of his novels. The movie made some adjustments. The garage apartment on West Main was moved to The Heights & the house in River Oaks was actually a house near River Oaks. And the shortest route from Brennan's to River Oaks does not go by any beach. Artistic license--the area has few scenic wonders.

Urban Cowboy was mostly shot at Gilley's Club in Pasadena, just outside of Houston.

Brewster McCloud was another film set here. And parts of Local Hero; Houston worked quite well as the diametrical opposite of that beautiful bit of the Scottish coast.

El_Kabong
01-12-2005, 02:32 PM
Striking Distance was also set in Pittsburgh.

As was Flashdance, much of The Deer Hunter (well, in the general area, at least) and that epic Van Damme actioner Sudden Death. Hell, the place is practically Hollywood on the Monongehela.

Phlosphr
01-12-2005, 02:33 PM
Mystic Pizza with Julia Roberts was filmed in my home town of Stonington CT. We also happen to be the home of Peter Benchley, we all know what He wrote. :)

The Devil's Grandmother
01-12-2005, 05:04 PM
And the smog. Don't forget the smog, palm trees and women walking thier dogs while wearing bikinis.

Nobody mentions Sacramento because it's one of the most boring cities on the planet.

Odinoneeye
01-12-2005, 06:02 PM
There's been a few movies set in Detroit (Robocop, the openings of all the Beverly Hills Cop movies) however, it's very rare to actually have one film here.

The exception was 8 Mile, which while not a very interesting film, it was fun to look for buildings I recognize. (I actually live about a mile from the trailer park depicted in the film)

Bill Door
01-12-2005, 06:11 PM
Upstate NY? The only ones I can think of are Road Trip and one scene in Mars Attacks! Both of which were played mainly for the rural/college town humor value.

Ah, you've forgotten about the classic Sleepaway Camp (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086320/?fr=c2l0ZT1kZnxteD0yMHxzZz0xfGxtPTIwMHx0dD1vbnxwbj0wfHE9c2xlZXBhd2F5IGNhbXB8aHRtbD0xfG5tPW9u;fc=1;ft =5;fm=1) . Filmed in Argyle, Fort Edward, (not Fort Edwards as the IMDB claims), and Glens Falls in upstate New York. Some paramedics from Lake Luzurne were in the movie wearing their uniforms as well.

cmkeller
01-12-2005, 06:18 PM
Me, Myself and Irene took place somewhere in Rhode Island.

Dewey Finn
01-12-2005, 06:33 PM
I think the film was French Kiss, with Meg Ryan and Kevin Kline. Toronto played a small role.

Ryan plays a woman from Toronto who flies to France for some reason. The film begins in her family's Toronto home, with Dad watching the Maple Leafs playing hockey (hey, in Canada, hockey is on TV 24/7/365, dont'cha know :rolleyes: ). Naturally, Ryan flies Air Canada to France, where most of the film takes place.

But why Toronto? Except for the Air Canada product placement, there is really no reason for Ryan to be Canadian, or from Toronto. She might as well have been from Pittsburgh, Denver, or Boston, for all her Canadian-ness had to do with the plot.

Actually, Meg Ryan's character was from the US, but was living in Canada because her fiancee was Canadian. It was actually a plot point, as she was in the process of applying for Canadian citizenship and wasn't supposed to leave the country.

Mr. Blue Sky
01-12-2005, 06:47 PM
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil was set in Savannah, Georgia, which was a major character in the film.

Yeah, I've heard that.

To be perfectly honest, the Jim Williams thing was grossly overrated and overhyped.

Evil Captor
01-12-2005, 08:22 PM
Yeah, I've heard that.

To be perfectly honest, the Jim Williams thing was grossly overrated and overhyped.

Well, I thought the movie was too gay.

"Sharky's Machine" a Burt Reynold's P.I. film, was set in and filmed in Atlanta.

The town of Northfield, Minn., as portrayed in the movie "The Long Riders" was portrayed by the little town of Parrott, Georgia. South Georgia, to be exact. You wonder how they kept the palmetto bushes out of the scenes.

matt_mcl
01-13-2005, 12:05 AM
Well, I thought the movie was too gay.

Ain't no such thing.

Cisco
01-13-2005, 10:22 AM
The exception was 8 Mile, which while not a very interesting film, it was fun to look for buildings I recognize. (I actually live about a mile from the trailer park depicted in the film)
That reminds me, I grew up about a mile from the barn in Days of Thunder. It was still there the last time I was back home, but it's surrounded by housing developments now and so old and decrepit it looks like a bad thunderstorm could flatten it. I doubt it will be there much longer.

Max Torque
01-13-2005, 11:38 AM
Most of Stephen King's books (and by extension, most of the movies based on his books) are set in Maine. If Steve is to be believed, Maine must be the creepiest, most haunted-ass state in the union.

Jonathan Chance
01-13-2005, 12:09 PM
Blair Witch Project set about 10 miles from our old place in the Blue Ridge.

And, most unusually, some horror film who's name I haven't been able to track down...set in my new home town of Marietta, Ohio...and filmed in my house. The house was empty at the time so the owners (having no luck selling) allowed the film crew to rent it for a month or two for filming.

If anyone can help me track down the name of the film I'd be much appreciative. No one in town remembers.

NinjaChick
01-13-2005, 12:53 PM
I can think of three movies with at least a scene or two in NJ:
*Garden State (that one's sort of a gimme, though)
*12 Monkeys, though their geography is horribly, horribly off. (Thirty seconds off of the B. Franklin bridge does not get you into open farmland or[i] the Pine Barrens...)
*Being John Malkovich. Featuring the ditch on the side of the Turnpike!

And [i]National Treasure had some nice scenes of Philadelphia, including Reading Terminal Market, which rocked.

The Devil's Grandmother
01-13-2005, 01:20 PM
If anyone can help me track down the name of the film I'd be much appreciative. No one in town remembers.
What year was it? Or what year did you move into your house if you're not sure.
You might check the library for copies of the local paper in that year. There must have been a mention.

Evil Captor
01-13-2005, 02:10 PM

And, most unusually, some horror film who's name I haven't been able to track down...set in my new home town of Marietta, Ohio...and filmed in my house. The house was empty at the time so the owners (having no luck selling) allowed the film crew to rent it for a month or two for filming.

Phone number of the Marietta, Ohio Tourism and Visitor's board: 1-800-288-2577

Google is yer friend, indeed.

flight
01-13-2005, 02:29 PM
The original version of The Blob (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051418/?fr=c2l0ZT1kZnxteD0yMHxzZz0xfGxtPTIwMHx0dD1vbnxwbj0wfHE9YmxvYnxodG1sPTF8bm09b24_;fc=2;ft=17;fm=1) was filmed in my hometown of Downingtown, PA, a suburb of Philadelphia.

Also, Casablanca is atypical.

Edward The Head
01-13-2005, 02:46 PM

Burkittesville, is a bit further then 10 miles, but not a whole lot. I grew up in the area. I believe they filmed it in the Black Hills park right near where I live now.

Frederick, MD has been in a couple of movies because of Fort Detrick. Though I'm pretty sure they've never filmed there and the movies look nothing like the place.

BurnMeUp
01-13-2005, 04:18 PM
Hmmm, care to elaborate? I can't imagine NY State even coming close to CA in diversity. California has ocean (subdivided into islands, different kinds of beaches; rocky, sandy, etc.), mountains, urban areas, sweepings plains/grasslands, rolling hills, almost tropical looking areas, deserts, and huge forests. The parts of NY I've been to have, well, lots of trees . . .

And WA state I think has every type of land/geography aside from Tundra in a tighets package (milage wise).

Oceans with various beach types, the sound, mountains (both barren and wooded), deasers, forests, plains, rainforest, rivers and lakes

Bryan Ekers
01-13-2005, 05:04 PM
Ever seen The Whole Nine Yards? It is set in Montreal, and Montreal does indeed play itself, but one character's Quebecoise wife sounds like she'd be more at home walking down the Champs Elysees rather than Rene Levesque Boulevard.

Well, whaddya expect? She was played by Roseanna Arquette. The accent of the local actress cast as her mother was bang-on, though.

Super Troopers was set in upstate Vermont. Actually, it's the only movie I can think of that's set in any part of Vermont. Lynda "Wonder Woman" Carter played the governor, whch was pretty cool in itself.

wolf_meister
01-13-2005, 06:50 PM
Seems nobody mentioned these 2 movies at least set in Boston:
The Friends of Eddie Coyle and
The Thomas Crown Affair

And since someone mentioned this city, the Marx Brothers did "A Night In Casablanca".

For an extremely atypical location how about "Monster That Challenged The World" ? I believe that is only 1 of 2 movies that is set around the Salton Sea.
I'll let some clever Doper post the other movie set in that location.

Tapioca Dextrin
01-13-2005, 06:55 PM
I'll let some clever Doper post the other movie set in that location.

Maybe Plagues and Pleasures on the Salton Sea (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0438327/)?? If documentaries count, that is.

Hostile Dialect
01-13-2005, 07:19 PM
Revenge of the Nerds was filmed on the UA (Arizona) campus, which was cool. They even used UA hats and logos, and changed the school name to Adams College (the logo being a stylized A, it works out well).

San Diego has more of a movie history than you'd think. The most recent example I can think of is Traffic, which was filmed in both La Jolla, a rich haven of lawyers, academians, doctors and cocaine dealers; and the San Diego [County]-Baja California border. More movies film there than are set there, although the Union-Tribune did a story on it a few years ago. Can't find it, although I did find that "That '80s Show" was set in San Diego but filmed in LA. "Law & Order: Crime and Punishment" is apparently set in San Diego, as well, or was at some point.

That recent movie from the Grisham book about a gun tort case was set in New Orleans. Can't remember the name.

French[wo]men masquerading as French-Canadians seems to be a common theme here. Is it really that difficult to find Quebecois folk in theatre? I can certainly see that it would be easy to find Francs, I guess.

Garden State (which I just saw today; great movie) was, of course, based in New Jersey.

Wasn't part of Dogma based in New Jersey, as well?

Canadian Bacon. (Well, depending on how loosely you define the word 'movie'.)

I was thinking the same thing--California is more geographically diverse, I'm sure. But I believe that New York is up there, because I remember Maryland being pretty diverse. I only lived there until age 11, so I can't really elaborate.

M. Night Shamalamadingdong

Is it that tough to remember Shyamalan? Shee-uh-mall-un. It's not that difficult.

Oh yeah? I've heard a couple of those movies are set somewhere in the United States.

Fionn
01-13-2005, 07:38 PM
Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy was released last year and set in San Diego.

wolf_meister
01-13-2005, 09:34 PM
Tapioca Dextrin
Wow, that makes a third Salton Sea movie (if we wish to include documentaries).

Anyway, the movie I was thinking of is
The Salton Sea (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0235737/?fr=c2l0ZT1kZnxteD0yMHxzZz0xfGxtPTIwMHx0dD1vbnxwbj0wfHE9c2FsdG9uIHNlYXxodG1sPTF8bm09b24_;fc=2;ft=20; fm=1)
A film from 2002 starring Val Kilmer.

Tapioca Dextrin
01-13-2005, 09:43 PM
[i]Insomnia[/b] wouldn't have worked very well if it had been set in LA.

Laughing Lagomorph
01-13-2005, 10:13 PM
Seems nobody mentioned these 2 movies at least set in Boston:
The Friends of Eddie Coyle and
The Thomas Crown Affair

Two more movies set in Boston, both legal thrillers: The Verdict and A Civil Action.

The Perfect Storm which was of course based on a true story was set in a seacoast town north of Boston (there was apparently filming in Gloucester but I don't know if they changed the name for the movie).

Cisco
01-14-2005, 12:37 AM
But I believe that New York is up there, because I remember Maryland being pretty diverse. I only lived there until age 11, so I can't really elaborate.

Well, not to sound like a jerk, but Maryland is about as close to New York as it is to my native North Carolina which - though it has coastline, "piedmont", and mountain regions - is nearly covered from border to border with deciduous trees, much like Maryland and New York. I really don't see how any east coast state can approach the geographic diversity of California, or - as mentioned - Washington.
Is it that tough to remember Shyamalan? Shee-uh-mall-un. It's not that difficult.
I would guess that Alessan is a Howard Stern fan. It's a running joke on the show.

davenportavenger
01-14-2005, 12:54 AM
Most of John Waters' movies are set in Baltimore. I haven't seen very many movies set there other than his.
Canadian Bacon was set in Niagara Falls, NY.
Diabolique (the one from the nineties with Demi Moore) was set and shot in Pittsburgh, and a handful of scenes were shot in my hometown of Uniontown, PA.

Antonius Block
01-14-2005, 03:44 AM
Most of John Waters' movies are set in Baltimore. I haven't seen very many movies set there other than his.

Baltimore native Barry Levinson (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001469/) has set -- and filmed -- several of his movies there, including:

Diner (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083833/) (1982)
Tin Men (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094155/) (1987)
Avalon (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099073/) (1990)
Liberty Heights (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0165859/) (1999).

threeorange
01-14-2005, 05:11 AM
Wasn't part of Dogma based in New Jersey, as well?

All of Kevin Smith's films are set either partially (Chasing Amy, Dogma, Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back) or completely (Clerks, Mallrats, Jersey Girl) in New Jersey.

El Elvis Rojo
01-14-2005, 07:09 AM
Pretty much all of Steven King's movies are set in Castle Rock, Maine.

Wayne's World was set in Aurora, IL. That's rather unique.

Cisco
01-14-2005, 11:40 AM
Pretty much all of Steven King's movies are set in Castle Rock, Maine.
Wasn't Stand By Me set in Castle Rock, Oregon?

RickJay
01-14-2005, 12:04 PM
Wayne's World was set in Aurora, IL. That's rather unique.
Aurora is a suburb of Chicago, which is a very common setting for movies.

Hostile Dialect
01-14-2005, 12:23 PM
I would guess that Alessan is a Howard Stern fan. It's a running joke on the show.

Yet another good reason not to listen to Howard Stern. A running joke about mocking the name of a talented yet (gasp!) foreign-born filmmaker. How very funny!

Cisco
01-14-2005, 01:30 PM
Yet another good reason not to listen to Howard Stern. A running joke about mocking the name of a talented yet (gasp!) foreign-born filmmaker. How very funny!
Oh, the humanity! :rolleyes: You probably don't know or care that Shyamalan is a friend of the show, do you?

And let me guess, the rest of your "good reasons" for not listening are based on that stupid E! show where they take the raciest 20 minutes out of a 5 hour program and put them on tv. Right?

wolf_meister
01-14-2005, 01:32 PM
Antonius Black
Another film set in Baltimore is:
Chamber of Horrors (1966) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060228/)

(More importanly, it probably was the only movie to feature the "horror horn" and the "fear flasher". Look at the IMDB trivia for that.)

Alessan
01-14-2005, 03:04 PM

Would you believe I couldn't remember how to spell Shyamalan's name? Really. I'm very sensitive to correct spelling and pronunciation of names - my own surname is constantly misspelled - and I'd rather make a weak pun than an actual mistake.

Incidentally, It's not from Howard Sten. While I would like to listen to Stern's show, I am limited by the fact that it is not broadcast within 8,000 miles of my home.

Kizarvexius
01-14-2005, 03:51 PM
"Manos" The Hands of Fate was set in El Paso, Texas.

As were (in whole or in part):
- The Border
- The Getaway
- Extreme Prejudice
- Take The High Ground

And sometime this year Disney will release Glory Road, a film about the 1966 NCAA Basketball Tournament, which was won by Texas Western (now UT El Paso).

Ignatz
01-16-2005, 06:36 PM

Try checking with the local police, city public works (street) folks. They usually have to block off streets, etc., for movie-makers and might remember or have records. Do you know who was in it or what year it was done? That will help. And try the local news media, they probably had some publicity on it at the time and may have a file on it.

BTW, a lot of movies are made in Canada, though "set" elsewhere because Canada gives large financial incentives to the producers. It's doing a real job on other movie studios in the US - putting some out of business.

Risha
01-16-2005, 09:29 PM
Both the Rocky films and the first two M. Night Shamalamadingdong (Sixth Sense and Unbreakeable) films were set in Philadelphia. Coincidence?

Umm, not to be picky (or ruin your joke :D), but all of his films are set in the Philadelphia area. Signs was placed in Bucks County, directly north of the city, and the Village was set

Well, ok, I don't remember if they said specifically, but I'm pretty sure that the preserve was somewhere in the area.

flight
01-18-2005, 09:44 AM
Wherever most of the film was set, I believe the flashbacks, or at least the old pictures (did they do full flashbacks?) were set in Philly.

AncientHumanoid
01-18-2005, 09:55 AM
How about the Gobi?

Flight of the Phoenix

Most desert movies are set in the Sahara or the American West.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.