PDA

View Full Version : What should I bring back from N'awlins?

Winnie
01-13-2005, 08:49 AM
I'm going down to New Orleans on business in 2 weeks and will be there for about 6 days. While I'll have little personal time, there will be some free evenings to do a little shopping, eating, and sightseeing. I would like to bring some things back to my very jealous hubby that are indicative of what the Big Easy is REALLY all about. I know the Tabasco plant is in the area, is it worth bringing back some sauce from it's home state? What about pralines? Chickory coffee?

Happy Scrappy Hero Pup
01-13-2005, 08:57 AM
If the only hot sauce you can think of from New Orleans is Tabasco, you needs you some edumacatin'.

Go down to the French Market and take a look around at all the amazing hot sauces you can buy- sauces so hot that you can flavor a gallon of chili with one drop off the end of a toothpick. Mmmmmmmmm good.

I don't know if it's still there, but a video or some pictures of you singing on a Saturday night at the Cat's Meow would be great.

The Dixie Brewery is in town, and you're gonna wanna drink you some Blackened Voodoo beer.

Enjoy. Don't eat nutria, no matter how hard they try to convince you. If you likes the shootin', though, you can go out to the levees and shoot all the nutria you want.

Hey, It's That Guy!
01-13-2005, 08:58 AM
Bring back some beads, definitely! :)

Food-wise, if you have a chance, go to the Central Grocery Store on Decatur Street in the French Quarter, near Jackson Square and Cafe du Monde. They make the BEST muffaletta sandwiches there! Depending on how far you have to travel home, you'd be a hero to bring one back for him. If that's not an option, get a jar of the olive salad they use to make their muffalettas. While you're there, get some Cafe du Monde beignet mix, to make your own beignets at home! I'd also recommend Zapp's potato chips and Big Shot root beer, the finest, creamiest root beer I've ever had anywhere. (Actually, you'll probably have to hit a regular supermarket or convenience store for the Big Shot, but most of the food items you'll want would be cheaper at those places than Central Grocery anyway.)

If you drink, there's a bar in the Quarter called Tropical Isle, and they serve these amazing green drinks called hand grenades. They are really sweet and tasty and dangerous as a result. I forget if they sell take-home mix or not, but you should pick some up if you try the hand grenade and like it. Ditto for the famous hurricane drinks at Pat O'Brien's, but you can usually get a hurricane at any daiquiri-type bar, and hand grenades are unique to Tropical Isle in N'awlins.

Munch
01-13-2005, 09:14 AM
Bring home your own jazz man!

But I second the muffaletta. That's an easy one to deliver on. Beignet mix is good, but it's near impossible to duplicate the final result in your own kitchen. You could also bring back a king cake, even though it's early for that.

If you're looking for miscellania, bring back some voodoo dolls and masquerade masks.

The Dixie Brewery is in town, and you're gonna wanna drink you some Blackened Voodoo beer.
I'd vote for an Abita Turbo Dog.

Hey, It's That Guy!
01-13-2005, 09:23 AM
I'd vote for an Abita Turbo Dog.

I'm an Abita Purple Haze lover myself, but I've never had a bad Abita beer.

WhyNot
01-13-2005, 10:11 AM
Whatever you do, don't bring back a voudon doll made by the priest in the park from dirt and sticks with some sort of stone eyes that fall out in the middle of the night you bring it home while you're wracked with terrible nightmares all night about being choked to death by said doll, only to wake up with the doll on your chest, not the shelf 10 feet away from your bed where you put it before retiring for the night.

And when you find the stone eyes under your pillow the next night, for no apparent reason whatsover, don't keep them, either.

Just sayin'.

zeldarae
01-13-2005, 12:16 PM
You could also bring back a king cake, even though it's early for that.

Actually, no it's not. We are in the middle of the season which will be a short one. Mardi Gras is February 8th this year which means the Bacchaus parade is on Superbowl Sunday.

As to the OP, you're visiting us at the right time of year. Mardi Gras season is the best time if you enjoy people watching. If you get some free time, ride up I-10 to visit Houmas House http://houmashouse.com/ and say hello to my hubby, the scruffy gardener.

Have fun and be safe.

Casey1505
01-13-2005, 12:54 PM
Wanna bring me back some Cajun Spiced Beans? (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=296584)

Get local food and drink. Crawfish, gumbo, etoufee, muffalettas, po' boys, a hot dog from the corner vendor (I'm blanking on the name), Balckened Voodoo beer, hurricanes, hand grenades, a Cajun bloody mary..... Over the weekend, with my wife's family, we wound up at a pizza place. It sucked. Nothing against the pizza place, but here in Scranton, there's one on every corner. I can't think of one Gumbo Shop here. I wound up eating light and stopping somewhere else later in the evening.

And enjoy the atmosphere. The sounds and smells of the Big Easy are as wonderful as the sights.

Skywatcher
01-13-2005, 01:06 PM
Mardi Gras Parade Schedule (http://www.mardigrasneworleans.com/schedule.html)

I prefer the Metarie parades myself, being not as crowded and that's where you'll find the Riverdale Marching Scottish Rebels. That's my old highschool's band and, yes, they wear kilts.Over the weekend, with my wife's family, we wound up at a pizza place. It sucked.I hope that wasn't Mama Rosa's, their pizza has been voted one of the ten-best in the entire country.

DeVena
01-13-2005, 01:08 PM
Whatever you do, don't bring back a voudon doll made by the priest in the park from dirt and sticks with some sort of stone eyes that fall out in the middle of the night you bring it home while you're wracked with terrible nightmares all night about being choked to death by said doll, only to wake up with the doll on your chest, not the shelf 10 feet away from your bed where you put it before retiring for the night.

And when you find the stone eyes under your pillow the next night, for no apparent reason whatsover, don't keep them, either.

Just sayin'.

You just made every hair on the back of my neck stand up. Stop that!

And add my vote for Central Grocery's muffaletta. Also there are tons of neat little galleries. You could bring home some nice artwork for not much mone.

Skywatcher
01-13-2005, 01:08 PM
Oh, and check with your local Popeye's for those Cajun Green Beans.

DeVena
01-13-2005, 01:10 PM
Sigh. I think the hamsters are hungry. I swear there was a smiley and a "y" included in my last post. So here they are - :p y

Casey1505
01-13-2005, 01:15 PM
I hope that wasn't Mama Rosa's, their pizza has been voted one of the ten-best in the entire country.It wasn't so much that the pizza itself sucked. What sucked was that of all the fantastic food to be had for any manner of mood, we ended up in a pizza joint.

No Popeye's near me. :( Closest one is in Rockaway, NJ, about 75 miles away.

Skywatcher
01-13-2005, 01:24 PM
It wasn't so much that the pizza itself sucked. What sucked was that of all the fantastic food to be had for any manner of mood, we ended up in a pizza joint. Yeah, but I doubt Scranton has anything like Mama Rosa's pizza. :)

singular1
01-13-2005, 01:26 PM
a hot dog from the corner vendor (I'm blanking on the name

Lucky Dogs!

And if you go into the brewery in the quarter, there's a lot of great shops for souveniers. But your best bet is a camera - you are going to a magical place, and you'll want to capture it! Keep it at the ready at all times. I'd recommend siting at Cafe du Monde and people watching for an hour or so, and then wander through the wonderful flea market set up there on the weekends.

Man, that's the only place in the south that I miss.

Winnie
01-13-2005, 01:30 PM
I've also been told there is a Super Popeyes that serves beer and margaritas with fried chicken? Could this fable be true?

Casey1505
01-13-2005, 01:54 PM
Yeah, but I doubt Scranton has anything like Mama Rosa's pizza. :)I'm only 3 or 4 miles from Old Forge, PA, and two hours away from NYC. New Orleans pizza couldn't carry New York Style pizza's jock. :cool: :D

zeldarae
01-13-2005, 01:59 PM
I've also been told there is a Super Popeyes that serves beer and margaritas with fried chicken? Could this fable be true?

Here's the menu http://www.superpopeyes.com/superpops/superpopmenu.html

:eek: I'm going to have to check it out myself.

Skywatcher
01-13-2005, 02:00 PM
I've also been told there is a Super Popeyes that serves beer and margaritas with fried chicken? Could this fable be true?Yes (http://www.copelandscheesecakebistro.com/..%5Cinformation.asp?loc=50). IIRC, that location is right on the Metairie parade route.

Skywatcher
01-13-2005, 02:08 PM
I'm only 3 or 4 miles from Old Forge, PA, and two hours away from NYC. New Orleans pizza couldn't carry New York Style pizza's jock. :cool: :DYou thought it was New York Style? There's no way you could have been in Mama Rosa's then; they have their own unique style. It's as if someone took a Chicago Style and flattened out the center.

lisacurl
01-13-2005, 02:13 PM
You could also bring back a king cake, even though it's early for that.
King cakes were being sold immediately after Christmas. That's standard these days, even though it is an unusually short Mardi Gras season. Gambino's Bakery has the best ones.

Pralines! I'm partial to Aunt Sally's (http://www.auntsallys.com/) . They have a big store very near the Cafe du Monde in the French Quarter.

Winnie, so you'll be there during the first week in February? That's the week before Mardi Gras. Do you know where you'll be staying, i.e., in one of the 'burbs, or downtown? Check out this link (http://www.theneworleanschannel.com/mardigras/index.html) for parade schedules. You should be able to catch at least one or two nighttime parades.

Ogre
01-13-2005, 02:22 PM
Lucky Dogs!Careful! (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=229547)

Casey1505
01-13-2005, 02:35 PM
You thought it was New York Style? There's no way you could have been in Mama Rosa's then; they have their own unique style. It's as if someone took a Chicago Style and flattened out the center.
This was more like Chuck E. Cheese style pizza (blech). Some place on Bourbon St, but I forget the name.

Anyway, sorry for the hijack. My point is, if you can get it at home (like pizza, McDonald's, spaghetti and meatballs, etc.), don't waste your time with it in New Orleans. There's too much variety waiting for you to enjoy to settle for a Big Mac.

Skywatcher
01-13-2005, 03:07 PM
This was more like Chuck E. Cheese style pizza (blech). Some place on Bourbon St, but I forget the name.There you go. Mama Rosa's is on Rampart, directly across from Armstrong Park.Anyway, sorry for the hijack. My point is, if you can get it at home (like pizza, McDonald's, spaghetti and meatballs, etc.), don't waste your time with it in New Orleans.Quite right, stick with places that are uniquely New Orleans.

A good place for seafood is Cajun Catfish at 521 Central Ave, just off Jefferson Highway.

Hey, It's That Guy!
01-13-2005, 03:19 PM
Actually, the more I think about it, I'd happily pay any local N'awlins people if they could ship me some Big Shot root beer in Florida.

caveman
01-13-2005, 03:28 PM
I'm only 3 or 4 miles from Old Forge, PA, and two hours away from NYC. New Orleans pizza couldn't carry New York Style pizza's jock. :cool: :D

[OT]Old Forge Style Rulez![/I'm related to the Revellos]

As for NO, if you were going in the non-Mardi Gras part of the year, I'd recommend the MardI Gras museum, where you can see cool float-design facilities and such. It's just a short ferry trip from the French 0.25, and has an okay giftshop, if that's your thing.

On the (east?) end of the Quarter, there's an interesting museum in the old Mint building, with an assortment of minting and printing gear, as well as Jazz-related displays.

The Long Road
01-13-2005, 03:36 PM
Go to Don's Seafood hut on Veterans Blvd and order the shrimp and crabmeat etouffee. It's good enough to make you move here.

Fear Itself
01-13-2005, 04:12 PM
If you have a really good time in New Orleans, you'll bring back a dose of the clap.

Cherry2000
01-13-2005, 07:43 PM
There's also Marie Leveaux's House of Voodoo, which is a pretty interesting stop.

Port of Call used to serve a pretty darn good greasy cheeseburger. It was huge...real sliced cheese (not the Kraft Singles type of stuff) and if you ordered mushrooms on it you got like, half a pound of them. Seriously. It came with a baked potato rolled in salt instead of fries, as I recall.

I like to cook, so I always bring back spices and sauces and cookbooks.

One time, I was there on business and bf was going to join me but was unable to make it. I took pictures around town, and bought him some small stuff to go with each (hurricaine mix at Pat Obrien's, key chain from Cat's Meow, a wish spell from Marie Leveaux's, etc.). Wrapped it all up in a box and told him it was his own tour of New Orleans. He loved it.

BabaBooey
01-13-2005, 07:55 PM
Please stop by Port of Call on Esplanade for the best burger EVAR!!11one They also have the always intoxicating/delicious Monsoon. Highly recommended. That's all I can offer food wise as I'm the only person in the state that doesn't like seafood *hangs head in shame*.

The Scrivener
01-13-2005, 08:02 PM
What should I bring back from N'awlins?

If you do it right, about three extra pounds' worth of pudge. :D

Maybe some locals can elaborate on this suggestion, but there's some excellent musicians and bands performing regular gigs there. You might be able to find some self-produced CDs of their stuff for sale...

Walloon
01-14-2005, 02:53 AM
I liked the real gator paws they sold in the gift shop at the Voodoo Museum.

Hunter Hawk
01-14-2005, 03:44 AM
It's been years since I've been to New Orleans, so I don't remember any useful details about specific locations, but I do recall there being several quite interesting art shops in the French Quarter--not on Bourbon Street itself, but I think on the next block over and on some of the cross streets.

I wouldn't necessarily bother bringing back beignet mix or coffee; I've seen them in my local grocery stores, so they may also be convenient to you. You might want to bring back some herbsaint, though--that seems to be more difficult to find.

Tentacle Monster
01-14-2005, 06:33 AM
While you're there, go to the zoo. For one thing, it's an excellent zoo. Also, it's the only zoo I've ever been to that has alligators on display and on the menu.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.