PDA

View Full Version : When did you stop watching 24 ?

akifani
01-14-2005, 03:10 AM
I loved the first season. It dragged a bit towards the end but the shocking ending made up for it.

The second season started great , got bad with kim's unlikely adventures (which thankfully didn't last too long) but it had its share of good moments and was overall satisfying. Not as good as the first, but pretty good anyways.

I started watching the third season and gave up completely on the series around the 11th episode or so. The frequency of "give me a break!" moments crossed my threshold and i just didn't enjoy the series anymore.

Now, season 4 has started and we're already at episode 4. Out of boredom, I'm thinking of watching the remaining of season 3 and starting on season 4.

So tell me, when did you stop watching 24 and why?

RikWriter
01-14-2005, 06:10 AM
Never. It's an awesome show, why the hell would I stop watching it?

hammos1
01-14-2005, 06:21 AM
I started watching the third season and gave up completely on the series around the 11th episode or so. The frequency of "give me a break!" moments crossed my threshold and i just didn't enjoy the series anymore.You should stick with the third season- it gets good at about that point. At least watch it through to 7am- IIRC that's a really tense episode.

Menocchio
01-14-2005, 06:34 AM
I saw the 1st season on DVD.

It was good enough, but the general consensus seemed to be that the later seasons were inferior.

I didn't like season one that much, so I didn't try.

Smapti
01-14-2005, 07:19 AM
At about 9:58 PM last Monday, so to avoid seeing next week's trailers, of course.

carnivorousplant
01-14-2005, 07:23 AM
I just started.

Scoundrel Swanswater
01-14-2005, 07:31 AM
I actually though that every season was better than the one before that.
I haven't seen anything of Season 4 yet (will probably be on Dutch TV next year), but I do get the feeling that 3 seasons is enough.
How many times can they up the stakes without getting utterly ridiculous.

Athena
01-14-2005, 07:35 AM
About halfway through the first episode.

poeticyde
01-14-2005, 07:55 AM
I loved the first season, because the action was fairly well plotted to match the supposed time on screen. The second season seemed to abandon this idea, and Kim annoyed me so badly I just couldnt watch anymore. I thought of jumping in on Season 4, but I really would rather play GTA: SA :D

av8rmike
01-14-2005, 10:26 AM
I started watching the third season and gave up completely on the series around the 11th episode or so. The frequency of "give me a break!" moments crossed my threshold and i just didn't enjoy the series anymore.
I crossed that threshold somewhere in the first season, but I was home enough that I was able to keep watching. By the second season, I had too much going on Tuesday nights to keep up with it, and I got tired of the endless contrived moments. Nor did I want to tape it and take up time elsewhere to watch. I think I watched one episode of the third season.

I did watch this season's premier, however, and liked what I saw. Unfortunately, I'm busy Monday nights now, too.

duality72
01-14-2005, 12:46 PM
After the second season. It didn't really build on the first season like I thought it should have, increasingly broke with the real-time hour concept, and, really, how many times can you contrive a national crisis that can only be resolved by the same one man in 24 hours? Twice was probably one time too many.

Noodles Fellicini
01-14-2005, 01:35 PM
Tried again this season but still can't. As cute as that boy is I can't ignore the shakey-camera crap and I feel bad that he is yelling all the time. I really want to watch it though -- would pre-medicating for vertigo and anxiety help?

pFd
01-14-2005, 01:43 PM
Around the time Kim started being some kind of computer genius after preiviously holding down a job as a baby-sitter.

Plus she stopped running around in a white tank-top :}~<

Katriona
01-14-2005, 01:52 PM
I almost didn't start watching this season, since S3 was just so mind-numbingly awful. I'm holding out some hope for S4; it's marginally promising at this point.

Captain Amazing
01-14-2005, 02:14 PM
This is probably a stupid question, but I haven't seen 24 at all yet, even though I do have it in my Netflix queue. I know that the show is in "real time"...an hour broadcast is an hour in the show's world. So, I know all that. But what's the time elapsed between seasons of the show. It's not that season 2 is just a day after season 1 and that Kiefer Sutherland's character is having the worst week in the world, right?

BobT
01-14-2005, 02:20 PM
Season 2 is about a year after Season 1. Season 3 is a couple years later and Season 4 is another couple of years.

Cliffy
01-14-2005, 03:40 PM
We TiVo'd a marathon of S1 that FX ran shortly after it finished. We thought it really dragged in the middle and then got goofy thereafter. (Amnesia + mountain lion? Are you kidding me?) So we didn't watch S2 or later. Can't say I miss it.

--Cliffy

Exapno Mapcase
01-14-2005, 04:50 PM
My interest died in Season 2 along with Jack. There's no way in any world that I could buy that Jack died, was brought back to life - and was running down and tackling gunmen 15 minutes later! I finished the season but couldn't bring myself to watch Season 3. Besides Season 3 had Kim in it. :D

I recorded the four-hour opening this year because of the advance word that it was jettisoning all the stupid baggage and starting over. But four hours... I don't know if I have that much commitment in me.

Murcielago
01-14-2005, 06:23 PM
I saw the first season only a few months ago, I'm now about half through Season 2. I will probably stay with it, because I enjoy watching Sutherland work. He does a fine job with the broad stuff and even better with the subtle material, I think he would make a great villain in an action/spy film.

I've taken to watching scenes outside the CTU team at 2X speed to minimize the pain. Palmer's wife is like Lady MacBeth on a coke binge, and Kim's storyline in Season 2 is laughably bad. There is one bit of DVD commentary where the Director (or maybe it's the Producer) makes a telling statement. When Kim's BF takes out psycho-dad in the hospital parking lot, he says something like "He knows martial arts?...Yeah, sure, why not?" Well, when you are already trying the viewer's patience with a rediculously implausible plotline, it may not be the best time to have Stinky the recording engineer break out the spinning back-kick.

"Kim the Computer Whiz" may push me through Season 3 rather quickly, though watching her spit out technical language may actually be entertaining.

John Mace
01-14-2005, 06:55 PM
Good question!

I saw the last few episodes of Season 1 and was pretty impressed (other than the amnesia thing...)

A few episodes into Season 2 I probably would've stopped watching if it wasn't for the jokes we were making about it here. Same for Season 3 and I'll say Season 4 is starting out as the weakest of all. The Cafe Society jokes might not be enough to keep me interested. There are so many other good things on TV now (eg: Lost, Battlestar Gallactica, Survivor).

Charlie Tan
01-14-2005, 07:25 PM
I was getting pretty annoyed with Kim (tank top or not) by the end of S.2. Also, it seemed that both 1 and 2 started out good, but ran out of gas around ep 14 or so. And when S.3 started and felt like it was the tail end of S.2, I just gave up. It's also annoying that what's-her-face? the chick that used to be a good guy but turned out to be bad, keep turning up in the most unlikely settings.

The concept is fine, and I think Keifer has grown tremendously. Age becomes him, and I think he could make some serious money in voice work, should he burn out as an actor. But the execution of the show is getting worse by the episode.

SavageNarce
01-14-2005, 07:49 PM
I stop, and then I start again, and then I stop again...

I am a "time shifter". No, not a SF alien that moves through time, but someone who tapes shows and then watches them at his convenience. I run two VCRs that record my weekly "wanna see" shows, and one that plays them back. And to those who tell me to get a life, let me say that my life is much more liveable now that I can skip through commercials, zip over re-runs, and speed past the boring bits.

Which brings me to 24. Last season, I did a lot of fast-forwarding through boring bits. Another chase scene (as opposed to another Chase scene, although I zapped a lot of them too), another "out of the frying pan, into the fire" scenario, another frustration watching Chloe dither over whether she should say something or just burst into tears. I watched it, but I didn't pay it a whole lot of attention.

If that scenario continues in to the new season (and the predominance of Chloe already gives me forebodings), I may just stop taping it. One good thing: at least I'll be able to zip through the Muslim ads (http://www.brandrepublic.com/mediabulletin/news_story.cfm?articleID=232365&Origin=MB14012005) that Fox has agreed to air...

MaxTheVool
01-14-2005, 08:24 PM
You all are foolish and weak. 24 has had it's weak moments (2/3 of the way through season 1, the very very end of season 2, the first 3 or 4 episodes of season 3), but, damn, it's fun.

And someone thinks that Chloe is a reason NOT to watch? She's hilarious!

JThunder
01-14-2005, 09:28 PM
I usually stop once the ending credits start to roll.

carnivorousplant
01-14-2005, 09:46 PM
my life is much more liveable now that I can skip through commercials, zip over re-runs, and speed past the boring bits.

Damn straight.
Allthough how are you sure about the boring parts? They might contain references to secret decoder rings or a clew or something.
:)

akifani
01-15-2005, 12:24 AM
It's funny, while i'm typing this answer, there are exactly 24 posts in this thread. After I post this, there will be exactly 24 replies. Coincidence?

(cue X-files music) :D

akifani
01-15-2005, 12:28 AM
It's funny, while i'm typing this answer, there are exactly 24 posts in this thread. After I post this, there will be exactly 24 replies. Coincidence?

(cue X-files music) :D

Ack! Nevermind, I overcounted the number of posts by 2...

Akifani, Proud Calc II student

Scissorjack
01-15-2005, 05:04 AM
When does Jack Bauer piss? Or eat? During ad breaks? If you subtracted those, the show really ought to be called "18".

Snooooopy
01-15-2005, 12:10 PM
When does Jack Bauer piss? Or eat? During ad breaks? If you subtracted those, the show really ought to be called "18".

Or, as I've asked before, sleep? Does he ever catch a nap?

SavageNarce
01-15-2005, 01:34 PM
how are you sure about the boring parts?
Experience, Grasshopper. :cool:

After many sessions of watching shows like 24, I have a sense that a scene like watching Kim struggle to escape her captors, or watching a grizzled Jack drive down a twisty road in pursuit of the bad guys, is going to have an enevitable outcome, and my finger - of its own accord, sometimes, thanks to finely-honed reflexes - strays to the "Fast Forward" button. Of course, sometimes the unexpected happens - but that's why God gave us a "rewind" button as well. ;)

Speaking of grizzled Jack, he may have time for eating and pissing during his off-camera moments, but he sure never seems to have a razor with him. Even at the start of the new season, when he's hanging around CSU in a suit and tie, he looks like he hasn't seen a razor for a couple of days.

Fiveyearlurker
01-15-2005, 01:43 PM
My interest died in Season 2 along with Jack. There's no way in any world that I could buy that Jack died, was brought back to life - and was running down and tackling gunmen 15 minutes later! I finished the season but couldn't bring myself to watch Season 3. Besides Season 3 had Kim in it. :D

I recorded the four-hour opening this year because of the advance word that it was jettisoning all the stupid baggage and starting over. But four hours... I don't know if I have that much commitment in me.

I was more taken aback by Tony getting shot in the neck, having surgery, and being in charge of CTU again in about three hours.

Murcielago
01-15-2005, 02:07 PM
You people seem unaware that many Federal Agents are sent to labs in the Nevada salt flats for biological enhancement. They undergo procedures which enhance their regenerative powers and obviate the need for both nutrition and sleep.

Alternative media, that's where you must go find the information buried by the mainstream press.

Knorf
01-15-2005, 09:36 PM
I stopped after about 3/4 of the way through S1--too many "give me a break" moments--and I never went back, especially after I saw one or two S2 episodes which I thought were utter shite.

Thw first half of S1 was great, though. It had me hooked...but...

Yeesh.

And to think Fox didn't give Firefly a decent chance to make a run of it!
:mad:

Kingspades
01-18-2005, 09:31 PM
My interest died in Season 2 along with Jack. There's no way in any world that I could buy that Jack died, was brought back to life - and was running down and tackling gunmen 15 minutes later!

That is precisely the last episode of "24" I watched. I realized I just didn't care anymore after that exact moment.

I still contend, however, that the last episode of the first season is one of the finest hours of television I've ever watched.

SolGrundy
01-18-2005, 10:39 PM
I started about halfway into season 2, and then went back and watched the whole thing and still say it's one of the best television series (in the British sense) ever.

I stopped a few hours into season 3, because it was just dull and all over the place, as if they were making it up as they went along. (What bugged me the most is their cliffhanger ending with the President in season 2, that they didn't do anything with!) I watched a few episodes and did end up seeing the last couple hours, but on the whole it was just pretty lame.

I started watching the first episode this season, and lost interest about 30 minutes into it. Seriously, I put the TiVo on pause to go out and have a cigarette, then went onto do something else, and didn't even remember I'd left it running until I went to bed that night. Not a good sign.

annieclaus
01-18-2005, 10:59 PM
I watched every single minute of seasons #1 and #2. But I just couldn't get into Season #3. I don't know: there was the drug addiction thing. And there was the Kim at CTU thing. And there was the deadly virus thing. It just left me flat.

But I'm back with it this season. I think the two consecutive days of 2-hour episodes was a great way to kick off the season. Before you knew it, you were four hours into the day. . . and a heck of a lot has happened.

I don't expect this show to make sense. I just expect it to be entertaining and to surprise me once in a while. (Besides, I could listen to Keifer forever, even when he's shouting!)

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.