PDA

View Full Version : My Brilliant Idea: Joey meets Galaxy Quest

Horatio Hellpop
01-14-2005, 11:17 AM
Joey, the Friends spinoff, is falling fast. It would have been cancelled already if everything else on the network weren't even worse.

On an apparently unrelated note, Galaxy Quest (the movie with Tim Allen and Sigourney Weaver) is virtually forgotten.

Here's my idea: Change the focus of Joey so that he has a regular acting gig on a show-within-a-show, Galaxy Quest: the Next Generation! Half the show is about the crew of Galaxy Quest's adventures, the other half is backstage hijinks and Joey's droning home life.

Any support for this idea?

tremorviolet
01-14-2005, 11:25 AM
Ok, that's totally not the premise I was expecting. Wouldn't it be cooler if the show did a total 180 and Joey was kidnapped by aliens (maybe after he got the acting gig on the scifi show) and an ordinary sitcom turned into wacky outer space adventures?

Askia
01-14-2005, 11:38 AM
ALL wacky space adventure shows suck. Sad but accurate.

I prefer Krokodil's show-within-a-show idea. Better joke potential, more walk-on appearances, guest stars, genre conventions, etc.

Joey should deal with totally sci-fi fandom. He was the star of Mac and CHEESE. Couldn't you see him at a sci-fi convention?

Evil Captor
01-14-2005, 11:58 AM

I prefer Krokodil's show-within-a-show idea. Better joke potential, more walk-on appearances, guest stars, genre conventions, etc.

Joey should deal with totally sci-fi fandom. He was the star of Mac and CHEESE. Couldn't you see him at a sci-fi convention?

OK, OK, I think I'm on to something here. What if we scaled the whole whacky alien adventure thing back and have Joey still on Earth, still a sitcom actor in a cheesy SciFi show, but have him bedeviled by just ONE whacky alien that ... get this, it'll knock you out ...

ONLY HE CAN SEE!!!!!!!!

tremorviolet
01-14-2005, 12:02 PM

Yeah, totally true. But I'd just love to see a show do something really out there for a revamp instead of just adding a new kid or something. It'd totally piss off the viewing audience.

Smeghead
01-14-2005, 12:40 PM

You dissing Red Dwarf? Cause if you are... *Shakes fist threateningly*

JThunder
01-14-2005, 12:41 PM
OK, OK, I think I'm on to something here. What if we scaled the whole whacky alien adventure thing back and have Joey still on Earth, still a sitcom actor in a cheesy SciFi show, but have him bedeviled by just ONE whacky alien that ... get this, it'll knock you out ...

ONLY HE CAN SEE!!!!!!!!
Brilliant! Positively brilliant! That'll increase the ratings for sure.

I also like the idea of adding a new kid sidekick. A funny animal or two might help as well.

Askia
01-14-2005, 12:48 PM
JThunder and Evil Captor. Who're you two, Berman and Braga?

Lumpy
01-14-2005, 12:53 PM
Or um... how about this: Joey's invisible alien is enlisting the cast of the show to unwittingly solve real problems in outer space. The "green rooms" where they think they're just posing so the special effects can be added in later are in fact holodecks linked via subspace to a starship. The cast think that they're just doing improv scripts when really they're remotely engaging in real space battles and alien encounters. And only Joey knows how much is really at stake.

OMG, I was trying to be sarcastic and I just came up with a better premise than most TV shows!

Ogre
01-14-2005, 01:16 PM
So we're crossing Joey with Galaxy Quest, and now throwing Ender's Game in there with it? Please, God, make it stop. *whimper*

middleman
01-14-2005, 01:52 PM
I am really enjoying Joey of late. I think they got some kinks worked out and are making improvements. Lucy Lui is really helping. I generally don't like her, but she is really adding something to the show. It seems they are going to focus less on his family and more on his career. Smart move. The ratings are pretty good (top 25).

I'd avoid the aliens, but if they must introduce aliens, I'd prefer it to be an alien that only Joey CANNOT see. That be funnier! :D

But hey. At least the show had Data on it last night.

Ponder Stibbons
01-14-2005, 02:14 PM
... an alien that only Joey CANNOT see.
Brilliant!

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.