PDA

View Full Version : Dilligent browser hijack. Nothing can remove it (except brilliant dopers)

Lobsang
01-18-2005, 04:36 PM
My home machine is fine. Never a problem.

But at work we have machines not connected to the network which are intended for outside checking of our website and for looking at e-mails and stuff.

The poor thing has every anti-spyware tool under the sun installed on it (not by me) and yet it seems riddled. Almost every site gets hijacked. Confidence in Microsofts own anti spyware tool lasted a day. It claims to have blocked a browser hijack, yet the hijacked browser is right there, mocking me.

Is there any way to find out what other employees could be doing to cause this indestructible slime. We've all discussed it, one cow-orker has limewire on it (swears blind limewire doesn't come with wankshitcrappyevilware), but I suspect someone is up to no good. Machines don't just 'get' like this.

DougC
01-18-2005, 05:43 PM
....But at work we have machines not connected to the network which are intended for outside checking of our website and for looking at e-mails and stuff....
- - - Set up a Linux box, and disable regular users from installing software.
--------
It is my opinion that Linux is still not yet a suitable replacement for doing everything on the desktop, but simple internet access is a snap. Probably around 95% of the spyware problems out there are ONLY problems for IE, and the rest are stoppable by not allowing users to install software, and limiting their file storage to their home directories.
~

RealityChuck
01-18-2005, 09:37 PM
Your best bet is to download and run hijackthis (http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/). Save the log and post it here. Or you can e-mail it to me and I'll take a look.

ZipperJJ
01-18-2005, 10:20 PM
We've all discussed it, one cow-orker has limewire on it (swears blind limewire doesn't come with wankshitcrappyevilware), but I suspect someone is up to no good. Machines don't just 'get' like this.

bolding mine.

Your co-worker is seriously misguided. Google "limewire" and "spyware" and you get 183,000 hits.

Really, unless your company is a copyright holder for something that might be illegally posted on a service like Limewire and you use the software for busting copyright violations, p2p software has no business on a business computer.

Hopefully your HJT log will shed some light on what else you have to remove along with Limewire.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.