PDA

View Full Version : HFS Volume Repairs for Macs

kjkolb
01-19-2005, 01:26 AM
I ran a data recovery program, VirtualLab by BinaryBiz, to recover deleted bookmarks. Ever since then, I've been having problems with all of my browsers, especially Safari and Explorer. Netscape and Firefox aren't as bad, but they still don't work right on all pages. The problems include failing to load certain web pages (loadable with other browsers) and following links that open new browser windows. Anyway, I ran the Disk Utility program on a 10.3.5 install disk. It says "HFS volume repaired" when it is finished. However, the problems continue and when I run the utility again, it says "HFS volume repaired" again. Also, I've tried reinstalling Explorer with no effect.

Does anybody know how to fix this? Is the "HFS Volume" the problem or does that just mean the disk? Thanks

Mac OS 10.3.7
Explorer 5.2.3
Netscape 7.2
Firefox 1.0
Safari 1.2.4

Oswald Bastable
01-19-2005, 07:37 AM
Have you tried the following:

i. Trashing the preference files for given applications (make sure the apps aren't open and do a Finder search on 'user'/library/preferences for relevant apps to find them)

ii. Instead of the Disk Utility on the install disk, using the Disk Utility in Applications/Utilities to Repair Disk Permissions (if you're HD is partitioned you will only be able to Repair Permissions on an OSX partition).

OB

Oswald Bastable
01-19-2005, 07:40 AM
Oh, 'HFS Volume' just refers to your hard disk - 'HFS' is the format in which it is formatted, and 'Volume' means exactly that, it's a 'Volume', or disk...

OB

AHunter3
01-19-2005, 11:25 AM
If no program other than a browser is experiencing problem, I would not tend to think the volume structure is screwed up. More likely the bookmarks files you recovered are partially corrupted (although if you're having problems with browsers that in no way involve the deleted/restored bookmarks, we can probably eliminate that as well).

FWIW, FYI: a disk and a volume are usually the same thing, at least from your standpoint. But if you partition a disk you end up with multiple volumes on that one disk. The disk is a physical device, the volume is a logical device. In the underlying Unix-ese, there are routines and instructions for addressing the physical device and others for addressing the logical device (or devices, plural, if partitioned) and Disk Utility displays a disk and within that disk its partitions (even if there's only one) because there are functions that are applicable to the physical disk and others applicable to the logical volume. (Catalog and directory and extents-file repairs are per the volume; START hardware-failure tests are per the disk; partitioning is done to a disk, not to a volume; etc)

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.