PDA

View Full Version : Visa problems - it's all you need

Kozmik
01-19-2005, 09:47 PM
It all started when this bartender took my checking card and started a tab on me. I forgot my card, tried to get it back and, to make a long story short, I had the chechking card deactivated. Now I am having beauracratic trouble with recieving a new credit card. I need to make a payment with Paypal, I confirmed my bank account and am waiting for it to be verified.

I'm am so aggrivated. The event is only a week a way. The ticket booth where I pick up the tickets before the show requires my Paypal confirmation email and a valid picture ID. And to think that If I never let that bartender take my checking card, I would have secured payment for the tickets and would not have went through all this trouble.

How can I purchase using Paypal without a credit card?

Q.E.D.
01-19-2005, 09:51 PM
If you have a checking account (or maybe even a savings account, but I'm not sure of that), you can have PayPal withdraw the funds directly from that. I have my PayPal account set up this way, with my CC card as backup funding.

Kozmik
01-19-2005, 10:02 PM
And you don't need to have a credit card to confirm the purchase? It says: "To complete this secure payment, add a credit card to your PayPal account and click 'Continue'." But I have not been verfified yet. I am in the process of having my Paypal account verified. So once I am verified, then can I make the purchase without a credit card?

Q.E.D.
01-19-2005, 10:15 PM
I would think so. I've used PayPal with checking account direct debit to buy quite a few things on eBay, and haven't had any problems with it. Some sellers will only accept payments from a verified account, so you'll probably want to do that, which takes a couple days.

Kozmik
01-19-2005, 10:23 PM
On the PayPal FAQ site it answers my question. "You can always make a payment using your PayPal account balance or with your bank account." Thanks Q.E.D., your antidotes on this has taken alot off my mind. Now I just have to go to the bank tomorrow to make sure that the verification process is finished. And I'll feel alot better once this purchase is confirmed.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.