PDA

View Full Version : Firefox browser - how to transfer extensions?

DarrenS
01-19-2005, 09:14 PM
I'd like to be able to transfer my set of extensions from one computer to another, so I have all the mouse gestures and other "comfort" features I'm used to. I tried copying across the various "chrome" folders under \Documents And Settings\user\Application Data.... but there seems to be more to it.

I wish there were a "meta extension" that would synchronize extensions between different computers - it could keep them centrally somehow and you'd just synch up wherever you use FF.

Duckster
01-19-2005, 09:16 PM
If you already know the extensions you need, why not download them again to the other machine?

DarrenS
01-19-2005, 09:18 PM
Well, that's just it: I use around 10 different computers day-to-day at 3 different locations (I'm a programmer), and keeping track is hard - I end up with a mish-mash of extensions on each one. It's a pain to keep track of the URLs for each extension - would be much nicer to have a "synch" service or at least an "export extensions as a package" option.

brianjedi
01-19-2005, 09:21 PM
Here's an idea: install Firefox and extensions to a thumbdrive. There's a version of FF that's configured to run that way, and then you just need to carry the drive with you to have your personalized browser.

Duckster
01-19-2005, 09:21 PM
Perhaps you could write a Firefox extension that allows FF users to actually transfer their extension from one computer to another.

:D

I have several computers at home and at work. Keeping them all in synch with respect to extensions, etc., really isn't so hard. I mean, it's not microsoft, ya know!

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.