PDA

View Full Version : Life flashing before my eyes

monst1lamp
01-20-2005, 01:39 AM
is there any biological reason your life could flash before your eyes before you die?
Maybe memory cells flashing off as your body is losing "energy"

thanks

Dvorak
01-20-2005, 02:01 AM
have you ever remembered something, or had a dream, or had a dream about some point in your past?

monst1lamp
01-20-2005, 02:09 AM
hmm, thats not what i am trying to get at,

ive heard that when you die, memory recepticles (pardon my scientific terms, and even spelling) in your brain flash off and could give you the sensation of reviewing all of your memories, ive heard that your memory works as a hologram and one parts contains all parts,

jester21
01-20-2005, 07:15 AM
hmm, thats not what i am trying to get at,

ive heard that when you die, memory recepticles (pardon my scientific terms, and even spelling) in your brain flash off and could give you the sensation of reviewing all of your memories, ive heard that your memory works as a hologram and one parts contains all parts,

if it happens when you die... how would anyone report it?

Richard Pearse
01-20-2005, 07:16 AM
How many dead people have we been able to talk to who have confirmed that you do review memories as you die?

jester21
01-20-2005, 07:19 AM
How many dead people have we been able to talk to who have confirmed that you do review memories as you die?

haha... beat you to the punch :wally

naita
01-20-2005, 07:28 AM
Yes, your life flashes before your eyes before you die, we call that process living. (Thanks to Terry Pratchett.)
Since we can't talk to people who've died ("especially" not ask about something as specific as "did your life flash before your eyes"), and since those who've nearly died speak of a tunnel of light, not a "this was your life"-revue, I think we can safely say that this is a myth/literary device/common saying, not something that actually happens.

hlanelee
01-20-2005, 07:41 AM
In 1995 I was in an automobile accident and my heart stopped several times on the way to the hospital. They put me on life support when they got there, I guess they were tired of CPR. I remember some of the events on the day before the accident and I remember becoming self-aware and being told that a month had passed. If my wife had signed the papers like the organ procurement people wanted, they could have divided me up, salvaged what was good, and cremated the rest. I would have never known. My wife didn't sign the papers, in a week she ordered life support removed, and I got better. I guess I got shit out of my near-death experience. I never saw the light and my life didn't flash before my eyes. Well I've got to mosey on to calculus class.

RealityChuck
01-20-2005, 07:41 AM
Ever hear of the concept of "metaphor"? :rolleyes:

That's what the phrase is. No one ever thought it had any basis in reality, due to the reason mentioned above.

Not every phrase should be taken literally.

Ike Witt
01-20-2005, 09:47 AM
I imagine that if I know that death is very near I'd have more of a CBG reaction - 'Oh, I've wasted my life'.

naita
01-21-2005, 07:02 AM
Ever hear of the concept of "metaphor"? :rolleyes:

That's what the phrase is. No one ever thought it had any basis in reality, due to the reason mentioned above.

Not every phrase should be taken literally.

I think "no one ever" is it bit of an exaggeration. The OP for instance asks if there's a biological explanation. That's a very odd question if one does not think the concept has any basis in reality.

HMS Irruncible
01-21-2005, 07:31 AM
I've had a couple of very frightening moments that caused me to think things like "oh shit... I guess nobody will bring cheese dip to the party and I should have majored in French and I should have asked out Betsy Jo in high school and maybe it's a good thing I got baptized, just in case." It wasn't like a movie and it wasn't my entire life, but certainly enough to give legs to the cliche.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.