PDA

View Full Version : What superhero / supervillain would you most like to be?

Kythereia
01-22-2005, 01:21 PM
You get to call dibs on them and everything. :cool:

I absolutely adore and definitely want to be Harley Quinn (http://www.comicscartoons.hpg.ig.com.br/encicl/arlequina01.gif).

Ephemera
01-22-2005, 01:52 PM
Hm. This is a tough one.. there're lots of heroes I'd love to have the powers of and a smaller but still significant amount of them I'd like to be but the two I can think of that have interesting abilites that I most identify with are Colossus and Cyclops.

Between those two, I think I'd go with Piotr. While I'd love to have Jean as my wife, Scott's life is just too tragic. Not that Colossus' is all smiles and sunshine but it doesn't seem quite as bad. Plus, organic steel > optic blasts.

Other runners up are Nightcrawler, Angel, and Mimic.

Khadaji
01-22-2005, 01:58 PM
The first one that came to mind was Wolverine. I'll have to think about it more.

ouryL
01-22-2005, 02:02 PM
I've always wanted to be the Invisible Girl. I renewed this wish when she became Malice.

Menocchio
01-22-2005, 02:04 PM
If we can extend it to comic book characters in general, then Archie Andrews.

Even if I could be Superman, I would be Archie. Now his is a dilemma I wouldn't mind having.

If not, then the Flash.

Wilson
01-22-2005, 02:40 PM
I've always wanted to be the Invisible Girl. I renewed this wish when she became Malice.
And I would pick Mr. Fantastic, since he's super smart, has a cool and underrated power, and is married to Susan Storm Richards....

Ephemera
01-22-2005, 02:44 PM
..and if they ever divorce, I imagine he'd have no trouble at all finding a new girlfriend considering his abilities.

wolf in second hand clothing
01-22-2005, 02:50 PM
I always liked Iceman, but now that he can't change back to human form Spiderman looks tempting.

trutildeth
01-22-2005, 02:52 PM
Gorilla Grodd. Who wouldn't want to be a genius IQ giant gorilla that has super strength, the ability to control minds and an army of simians?

paulberserker
01-22-2005, 02:53 PM
First thing, Wolverine. Simply to be the best at what I do.

I even grow my sideburns in a Wolvie style, which is a cross between tribute to him and my late Grandfather, who looked like Wolverine would if he was 80 odd years old in real terms.

SNIKT

wolf in second hand clothing
01-22-2005, 02:54 PM
Aww crap, right after I hit "reply" I remembered Randy Fisk, aka Ravenshadow from JMS's Rising Stars. I'd be him.

please don't tell me what happends to him after the second tpb

ultrafilter
01-22-2005, 03:07 PM
Green Lantern, one of the ones with a power ring that isn't useless against yellow stuff. Powers limited only by my imagination would be vast and terrible.

Hey, It's That Guy!
01-22-2005, 03:25 PM
Even though I'm not the hugest fan of either as characters, I'd love to be like Superman or Batman. Flash and Spider-Man would be cool too. Or maybe Jack Marlowe (formerly Spartan), CEO of the HALO Corporation.

CandidGamera
01-22-2005, 03:29 PM
Plastic Man.

No, really.

BrainGlutton
01-22-2005, 04:26 PM
God-Man! The Superhero with Omnipotent Powers! :) *

*From "Tom the Dancing Bug" by Ruben Bolling -- a strip you'll find only in alternative newsweeklies. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_the_Dancing_Bug

bouv
01-22-2005, 04:29 PM
Gambit.

He oozes cool, and the ladies just melt for that accent, mon cheri.

bob_loblaw
01-22-2005, 04:32 PM
i call dibs on being captain obvious, because whacking morons with a clue-bat seems like it would be so much fun.

Kaitlyn
01-22-2005, 04:47 PM
1. Suprema, from Alan Moore's run on Supreme.

She's basically got all of Superman's silver age powers, but without the vulnerability to magic and kryptonite (their was an element called Supremium, but it was all destroyed).

She was once married to a sentient galaxy for a couple of decades, and came back no worse as a result.

2. Captain Marvel, (DC version): The appeal of Captain Marvel is that I'd get a bunch of extra abilities, but I could still be me. You can't be, oh say Batgirl, without also having to have that awful childhood, but anybody can be Captain Marvel.

3. Green Lantern (no yellow weakness version): Same appeal as Captain Marvel. I still get to be me, but now have abilities limited solely by my imagination.

4. Modesty Blaise: Not technically a superhero, but what the hell. She's young, beautiful, stylish, rich, and lives in a London penthouse. She's called on by the British government when they have a problem they can't handle on their own. She's essentially a free-lance, female James Bond.

5. Yumiko Readman (The Paper): Has the ability to make anything she can imagine out of sheets of ordinary paper. Loves books. Works as a secret agent for the Royal Library.

Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor
01-22-2005, 04:47 PM
Soloman
Herculues
Atlas
Zeus
Achilles
Mercury--say it together & become---

~ Captain Marvel! ~
:) :cool:

Uvula Donor
01-22-2005, 04:48 PM
Flaming Carrot. Sure, he's a little...you know, slow...but, damn, he can shoot his way out of any tight spot with a pair of .45s and the chicks dig him.

tremorviolet
01-22-2005, 04:50 PM
I've always wanted to be Spiderman. It just looks like it'd be so incredibly fun to swing through downtown and bounce around like he does. Plus, if I were Spiderman, I'd have the right quip for every occasion...

Hey, It's That Guy!
01-22-2005, 04:55 PM
1. Suprema, from Alan Moore's run on Supreme.

She's basically got all of Superman's silver age powers, but without the vulnerability to magic and kryptonite (their was an element called Supremium, but it was all destroyed).

She was once married to a sentient galaxy for a couple of decades, and came back no worse as a result.

But Kaitlyn, you seem so cool and fun-loving, and Suprema was so priggish and bitchy! Even joining the new Youngblood wasn't enough to loosen her up!

Kaitlyn
01-22-2005, 05:10 PM
But Kaitlyn, you seem so cool and fun-loving, and Suprema was so priggish and bitchy! Even joining the new Youngblood wasn't enough to loosen her up!

Well, yes, but there's a scene in Supreme in which she's breaking up a bank robbery. The bank robbers call her a bitch. She tells them she doesn't like language like that, but one of them does it again. She says (I'm paraphrasing):

"Oh dear. There's that word again. I'm afraid you're going to make me have to raise my VOICE," knocking them all out in the process.

I taught high school for a year [shudder]. That ability would have come in very handy.

Besides, Sally was adopted. There's no reason why the Cranes couldn't have adopted, for example, a North Korean refugee instead of a white girl. I wonder what I'd look like with white hair?

aegypt
01-22-2005, 05:17 PM
God-Man! The Superhero with Omnipotent Powers! :) *

*From "Tom the Dancing Bug" by Ruben Bolling -- a strip you'll find only in alternative newsweeklies. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_the_Dancing_Bug

If you want to read more about the most ultimate of superheroes... (http://www.fecundity.com/pmagnus/godman.html)

rjung
01-22-2005, 05:33 PM
Slapstick, so I can indulge my inner toon. :D

Selkie
01-22-2005, 05:37 PM
It's very hard to avoid the temptation of being an early Grendel. Oh, the fashion sense! The world class fencing skills! The vast criminal empire! That wicked cool electrified fork! Unfortunately, prematurely dead love interest and early death by 300 year old werewolf seem to come with that particular package, and those are definite disincentives.

Therefore, I'm going to have to go with Jenny Sparks. Oh, the ironic fashion sense! The ultra-cool dimension traveling shiftship! The swinging sex life! The life of adventure in a variety of genre styles! The hundred year life span!

Yeah, I'll go with Jenny Sparks.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou, you'd prefer being Superman or Batman over Reuben Flagg? I'm shocked! :eek:

ussentinel
01-22-2005, 06:24 PM
It's gotta be BATMAN for me. My distant secondary choices would've been Iron Man or Captain America. I used to play/pretend I was Batman as a little kid and other kids on the block would be villains. We would have some pretty intricate and stretched out plots and stories. Now, I "play" Batman in online rpgs (role-playing games) and on instant message role-play chats. Also, I usually dress up as Batman for Halloween and a few years back, my local theater friends dressed as Bat-villains: Joker, Harley Quinn, Two-Face, and Catwoman (my ex was Batgirl). Yeah, and the rogues! I'd love to confront Talia, Poison Ivy, Harley Quinn and Catwoman.

If I HAD to be a villain, I'd be a WWII Nazi after Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman. I'd love to see who would be able to capture who first (a win-win situation for me).

Ranchoth
01-22-2005, 08:09 PM
Hero? The Shadow. Demi-invisibility, "Jedi mind trick" style powers, willingness and ability to shoot and kill people. After him, probably Iron Man or War Machine.

Villiain? Probably Doctor Doom, Mad Scientist/Sorcerer/Dictator/Powered Armor user extraordinaire. (Or probably any other villain with "Doctor" or "Professor" in his title.)

Harborwolf
01-22-2005, 08:13 PM
So many choices. I've always liked Havok. Spider Man and Nightcrawler certainly have fun powers and the right sort of attitude.

Still, I'd have to settle for Speedball. I get to bounce around more than Spider Man, Nightcrawler, and the bouncing blue Beast combined; and the kinetic field makes me nearly invulnerable. Added bonus: quips galore. :D

Necro Romancer
01-22-2005, 08:17 PM
Impulse/Kid Flash

Can you tell I'm a student?

Lochdale
01-22-2005, 08:21 PM
Thor. A 6'6 Swede who can pretty much anything. Would be a hit with the ladies and noone could mess with you.

If that gets boring well just stamp your hammer and you are you again :)

Mister Rik
01-22-2005, 08:25 PM
Still, I'd have to settle for Speedball. I get to bounce around more than Spider Man, Nightcrawler, and the bouncing blue Beast combined; and the kinetic field makes me nearly invulnerable. Added bonus: quips galore. :D

Plus, you'd get to hang around Namorita all the time :D

I would like to be Green Lantern, the Guy Gardner variety. The Giffen-DeMatteis Guy Gardner, cuz I could date that sweet Ice. I think I'd like to be him because he's so not me. I hope that, when they get around to making a Green Lantern movie, they will feature Guy Gardner, not Hal Jordan. Right. Like that's gonna happen.

Hey, It's That Guy!
01-22-2005, 09:08 PM
I hope that, when they get around to making a Green Lantern movie, they will feature Guy Gardner, not Hal Jordan. Right. Like that's gonna happen.

I always thought Denis Leary would be the perfect choice to play Guy Gardner in a Green Lantern or Justice League International. If not him, then Bruce Campbell.

Hey, It's That Guy!
01-22-2005, 09:10 PM
I always thought Denis Leary would be the perfect choice to play Guy Gardner in a Green Lantern or Justice League International. If not him, then Bruce Campbell.

"in a Green Lantern or Justice League International MOVIE," is what I meant.

SteveG1
01-22-2005, 10:13 PM
Superman. Super strength, indestructible, never ever had so much as a cold, etc etc etc. Just having the power of flight would be cool. Or Doctor Strange, because of the magic. The power to completely violate all laws of physics and alter reality (magic) would be one hell of a rush.

DocCathode
01-22-2005, 10:27 PM
Man-Bat

From back in the seventies when he didn't have any problems with psychosis and could change back and forth with pills.

Flight, wall climbing, echolocation, excellent nightvision, the ability to lick my own eyebrows.

Anaamika
01-22-2005, 10:37 PM
Nightcrawler. I would love to teleport.

Askia
01-23-2005, 12:03 AM
Superhero? J'onn J'onzz, Martian Manhunter, hands down. The powers of Superman, the Atom, the Skrulls, the Elongated Man and Professor X rolled in one.

Super-Villain? John Bates. Aka the CEO of Sunburst Electronics and the former protege of Miracleman. "I'm sorry. They'd say I was going soft, wouldn't they?"

Wolfian
01-23-2005, 03:00 AM
As much as I love Green Lantern's powers I'd have to go with Kid Flash. None of that pesky "destroy the city because I'm having a nightmare" crap and reading and retaining at superspeed would be very useful.

betenoir
01-23-2005, 06:14 AM
How do you define Superhero? Because if we can include Vertigo, I'd like to be Death. I mean...she seems nice.

Although of late I've been closer to Despair....but at least she has those cool rings....

ArrMatey!
01-26-2005, 12:43 PM
Batman's a little too psychotic for me, although nothing would beat constantly being able to save the JLA's bacon...

Flash, to me, has always just been cool, so that's a possibility.

The Doctor from The Authority. Of course, with all he's been through... Hawksmoore from the same place might be interresting. I dig his powers a lot.

Villain? Ra's Al Ghul. Hands down.

Infovore
01-26-2005, 12:58 PM
I'd pick Magneto, at least from the days when I used to read Marvel back in the early 80's through early 90's. He can use his Master of Magnetism (tm) powers to do all sorts of nifty things, and if I'm gonna have superpowers, darnit, I want powerful superpowers! :)

D_Odds
01-26-2005, 01:13 PM
Too many to choose from!

Timberwolf or Karate Kid (Legion of Super Heroes)

Booster Gold

Adam Strange

Adam Warlock

Captain Mar-Vell

Captain Atom

But at the top of the list: GROO

AskNott
01-26-2005, 01:16 PM
When I was 6, Popeye was my hero. I was a big Superman fan. I even sent in for membership in the Supermen Of America. There was a short-lived comic book hero, though, who was cooler yet. Brain Boy had a lot of appeal for smart-but-wimpy kids like me. I envisioned levitating myself above the throng in the school halls, so I could get to the next class on time.

Saltire
01-26-2005, 01:19 PM
It's hard to decide. Right at the moment, I think I'd go for Mister Fantastic. The stretching stuff's neat, but the best thing about him is he is smart. Really, really smart. God-like intelligent, actually.

The best example I can remember is during the original Secret Wars, when the Molecule Man had dropped a mountain range on the heroes. The Hulk, Thing and Iron Man were able to brace up the roof of a small cave, but they were trapped and going to be crushed in a matter of minutes.

Reed starts taking apart the power modules of Iron Man's armor (remember, James Rhoades was in the armor at the time, so the inventor of this very complex, exceedingly high-tech weapon system was not on the Secret Wars planet). Reed has never seen how the armor is put together before, but he is able to gerry-rig a bunch of spare components from Hawkeye's tech arrows and Spider-Man's web shooters into a system allowing the Human Torch and Captain Marvel to pour their considerable energies into the armor.

Iron Man's repulsor rays are now able to blow away a couple of miles of granite between the heroes and daylight with one blast. And while he was tinkering, Reed even had enough spare mental clock cycles left over to taunt the Hulk to make him angry, which made him strong enough to hold up both his and Iron Man's share of the mountain range.

This all took no more than 10 mintutes, though anyone else would have had to analyse the armor for a month before he'd have understood it well enough to modify it at all, let alone make it a thousand times more powerful.

I would really enjoy being that smart.

Bippy the Beardless
01-26-2005, 01:22 PM
Problem with many superheroes/villains is they get very little time to themselves. Since wolverine has been taken, I think it would be good to be cat woman, as you don't have to spend all your time trying to rule or save the earth, and get to wear a very kinky costume.

tripthicket
01-26-2005, 01:24 PM
My initial pick would be The Rocketeer, the version from the movie. Hey, Jennifer Connelly would be in love with me! ;)

Taran
01-26-2005, 01:28 PM
One of the mentalists. I don't even care which; for me, telepathy and levitation are where it's at.

Or latter-day Swamp Thing, I guess. Being in tune with nature, wrapping whole cities in verdant destruction when they mess with my wife...I could get used to that.

Saltire
01-26-2005, 01:33 PM
By the way, Kythereia, you didn't say why you want to be an acrobatic, not-equipped-with-a-full-deck clown groupie. Care to elaborate?

Saltire
01-26-2005, 01:38 PM
My initial pick would be The Rocketeer, the version from the movie. Hey, Jennifer Connelly would be in love with me! ;)Hey, if you went with the comic version, you get a woman clearly based on Betty Page at the beginning of her pin-up career. So you can't lose either way.

Harborwolf
01-26-2005, 01:38 PM
Had a chance to think about villains, and I've narrowed it down to two.

My first choice would be Thanos. The dude winds up with nigh-infinite powers on a weekly basis. You want a villain with power, Thanos is your man/demi god.

My second choice would be Dr. Doom. Yeah, there's the scarring and the craptastic name. But at the end of the day, you have your own country as a consolation prize if you lose the world conquest thing. Not bad at all.

ArrMatey!
01-26-2005, 01:41 PM
Or latter-day Swamp Thing, I guess. Being in tune with nature, wrapping whole cities in verdant destruction when they mess with my wife.

Okay, I now want to see a Swampy / John Hawskmoore battle royale.

Like the poster says, "No matter who wins, we lose."

D_Odds
01-26-2005, 02:07 PM
I would really enjoy being that smart.

It's over-rated. :cool:

DocCathode
01-26-2005, 02:16 PM
I'd pick Magneto, at least from the days when I used to read Marvel back in the early 80's through early 90's. He can use his Master of Magnetism (tm) powers to do all sorts of nifty things, and if I'm gonna have superpowers, darnit, I want powerful superpowers! :)

His power level varied according to writer, and was effected by certain events (Like when Mutant Alpha regressed him to infancy).

The following are standard-
Levitate by pushing off the earth's magnetic field.
Fine control-the ability to pick locks, and some control over electrical devices (essentially having a built-in remote control)
The abiility to pick up truly massive pieces of metal (varies. He once lifted an abandoned nuclear sub from the ocean floor and held it a few hundred feet in the air while he removed the nuclear missiles)
The ability to reshape metal.
Sine the mid 80s or so Magneto has been able to use his electromagnetic powers to stop the human heart, cause a persistant vegitative state through massive but deliberately nonlethal brain damage, and save lives by acting as living defibrilator paddles. He can also control blood due to its high iron content.

Still, my favorite demonstration was during Secret Wars. The Wasp was upset with what the humidity was doing to her hair. Through intense concentration, Magneto was able concentrate enough of the trace metalic particles in the atmosphere to make her a comb.

Odinoneeye
01-26-2005, 02:51 PM
Ambush Bug because I think the knowledge that I'm actually in a comic book would make all that hero angst a bit more bearable.

Madd Maxx
01-26-2005, 03:06 PM
I have always wanted to be The Flash. Something about that high metabolism, and being to eat junk food all day, and I guess being real fast would be cool too. :)

SolGrundy
01-26-2005, 08:16 PM
Villain: Solomon Grundy, natch. Not the new, super-powerful special-needs zombie version of him, but the old Superfriends version, where he was a good bit less powerful but a little bit more literate. He was just a bad-ass, all dead and cajun and shit.

Hero: Green Lantern. It really is the coolest superpower, a ring that's only limited by what you can imagine. Only problem with it is that if I got a version where you had to recharge it every day (some of the GL's don't have to do that anymore, right?), I'd probably end up forgetting all the time, and then the ring would just end up in a drawer somewhere next to my class ring and my watch which I never bothered getting new batteries for and that earring I wore for about a week in college but stopped because it "made me look gay."

dotchan
01-26-2005, 08:42 PM
Hero, or at least on the side of good:
The Great Will of the Macrocosm, from Excel Saga, also known as Will-chan. Nothing beats being the Deus Ex Machina. But I'd probably dump poor Pedro, though, and start a harem. *coughs*

Villanous, or at least has highly questionable motives:
Xelloss, Slayers Next. Manipulative, sneaky, and gets away with everything. (Been bringing him up often lately since I'm writing a fanfic with him in it and I'm having so much fun imagining his dialogue. :D)

Odinoneeye
01-26-2005, 09:22 PM
If it could be me with the powers, I would pick The Specter.

No to the cosmic retribution/powers vary depending on God's will/the whole dying thing.

Yes to the abilities to fly, go through walls, appear and disappear at will and melt anyone with a thought.

As for bad guys, I would be Ultraman from the Crime Syndicate. Vaporizing anyone who spoke out against me and doing Superwoman whenever I felt like it.

shy guy
01-26-2005, 10:43 PM
I think it'd be cool to be one of the Power Rangers. You're basically indestructable, you automatically know a bunch of martial arts, all of your enemies are incompotent, you get giant robots and cool weapons to play around with, and the only time your enemies are ever more powerful than you are, it's only temporary and leads to you getting even more robots.

BadBadger
01-27-2005, 03:13 AM
I'd have to go with Black panther. Strong, agile, good gizmos and heightened senses. And being a cat, I could hear dinner being prepared miles away and rush home to wrap myself around my owners legs.

Kythereia
01-29-2005, 12:11 PM
*bump* ;)

shy guy
01-30-2005, 12:28 AM
I'm changing my answer. I just read the phenomenal 1st trade paperback of Dan Slott's She-Hulk. I wanna be She-Hulk!

I already want to go to law school - if I'm She-Hulk, not only have I already been, I get to practice superhero-law, read comics as research, and go on missions with the Avengers in my spare time. Not to mention sleep with underwear models. Where do I sign up?

Kaitlyn
01-30-2005, 02:10 PM
Oooo. I hadn't thought about She-Hulk.

Ok, replace Suprema with She-Hulk on my list.

Besides, I've always suspected that her hostility with Titania was really pent up sexual tension, and they reall just need to get it on to resolve their differences.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.