PDA

View Full Version : Return of Leaper's Pop Culture Trivia!

Leaper
03-03-2005, 02:03 AM
Since Bricker has started up his Challenges again (thank God!), I felt inspired to drag out my old pop culture trivia thread. The first five are ones that went unsolved from the last iteration. The last five are new. I thought it would be fun to see who else likes what I like in the pop culture world. No prizes (yet), but care to have at it? :)

1) Which cursed object drove its victims to death with their worst fears, and was the only one to actually offer its dark services to the protagonists?

2) Hallie Takahama was the only one who didn't know what was really going on... Not at first, anyway.

3) You think you've got a rough job? Try carrying a stone sacrificial altar hundreds of miles on your back! Or being "promoted" to the front of the line to "scout out" traps! Oh, well, at least there's plenty of duct tape around...

4) A cartographer, a treasure hunter, a gravedigger, and an anarchist got together for a card game party. Who was the fifth who completed their little gathering?

5) You're watching a hilarious series. What do you do? A) Laugh as they parody yet another popular genre each episode, B) Guess when a certain protagonist will die (again), or C) Put it in!

6) "Click." Did I hang up?

7) Given that I despise vampires and succubi (though I don't consider people like Dan, Sean, and Sakura to be part of that diseased group), what martial art style should I avoid? And would I dislike that fellow Gallon?

8) I didn't know that there were furry, buck-toothed, dam-building, flat-tailed mammals in South America. But there must be. A guy in that specialty food shop over there said so...

9) If I want to mate a couple of Earth animals to get a hybrid critter that's impossibly cute, loves carrots, and can turn into a humongous spaceship, what two should I start with?

10) How would you pronounce a word meaning "one inflicted by lycanthropy" if you were a bimbo from Eastern Europe? And what's President Bartlett doing here, anyway?

The Tooth
03-03-2005, 02:12 AM
8) I didn't know that there were furry, buck-toothed, dam-building, flat-tailed mammals in South America. But there must be. A guy in that specialty food shop over there said so...

None of these make any sense to me at all I have to confess. Except this one: This sounds like it has something to do with Venezuelan Beaver cheese, featured in Monty Python's Cheese Shop Sketch.

Rich Mann
03-03-2005, 02:42 AM
10) How would you pronounce a word meaning "one inflicted by lycanthropy" if you were a bimbo from Eastern Europe? And what's President Bartlett doing here, anyway?
"Verevolf" ala Teri Garr--but I don't get the second reference. Was the actor from 24 in the film?

Whence; "up yours...click...up yours...click...up yours...click...up yours...click...up yours...click..."?

Eonwe
03-03-2005, 02:50 AM
"Verevolf" ala Teri Garr--but I don't get the second reference. Was the actor from 24 in the film?

Whence; "up yours...click...up yours...click...up yours...click...up yours...click...up yours...click..."?

Werewolf!

There . . . wolf!

Sublight
03-03-2005, 02:52 AM
1) Which cursed object drove its victims to death with their worst fears, and was the only one to actually offer its dark services to the protagonists?

The Sphere?

3) You think you've got a rough job? Try carrying a stone sacrificial altar hundreds of miles on your back! Or being "promoted" to the front of the line to "scout out" traps! Oh, well, at least there's plenty of duct tape around...

Nodwick?

BraheSilver
03-03-2005, 02:59 AM
5) You're watching a hilarious series. What do you do? A) Laugh as they parody yet another popular genre each episode, B) Guess when a certain protagonist will die (again), or C) Put it in!

6) "Click." Did I hang up?
5) You had to ask, you bastard!

6) No, you just said "click."

Rilchiam
03-03-2005, 02:59 AM

South Park?

Kamino Neko
03-03-2005, 03:05 AM
9) If I want to mate a couple of Earth animals to get a hybrid critter that's impossibly cute, loves carrots, and can turn into a humongous spaceship, what two should I start with?

A cat and a rabbit. To get a Cabbit, a la Ryo-Ohki.

Leaper
03-04-2005, 07:56 PM
#'s 3, 6, 8, and 9 have been addressed correctly (maybe #5, depending on what BraheSilver is referring to - I think I know, but I want to be absolutely sure). Congrats. :)

As for #10, I realize now that it's vague, given Young Frankenstein... The President Bartlett bit was supposed to be a pointer to the intended answer, but it apparently didn't come off as well as I thought. My apologies. :)

More questions as I think of 'em... Maybe I'll turn this into a Bricker style contest when I have the time...

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.