PDA

View Full Version : The Best/Worst of Video Game Character Fidgets!

Mr. Miskatonic
03-31-2005, 06:07 AM
Fidgets!

You know what they are. You're happily playing your game and just for a moment you decide to grab a swig of that soda, and maybe a couple of pretzels. You're in a safe place where no baddies are going to pound you, so you go ahead. But by the time you finish the game has shown its impatience with you by having your character twiddle his fingers on the handgun (1st person shooters only). Some of these fidgets can be extremely clever, and some don't make a lick of sense. SO place your best and worst ones here:

My nominations:

Best

Captain Video: A very old game for the Apple II, perhaps having what might have been the first video game character fidget. Essentially a scroller, if you had CV out of his ship and didn't move or do anything the fidget would start after a few moments. First CV would look left, then right, tap his foot (all of this in 8-bit animated glory), and finally pull out a yo-yo and play with it. A sequence hilarious enough that anyone who played it would stop the action just to see the fidget.

Worst

Fallout: For heavens' sake, if you fail to move for one second and your character is carrying a firearm, the fidget happens. What is it? Your character plays with his or her firearm seeming to do some kind of jam clearage. Now this is no big deal, except that this is post-apocalyptic society where every tiny bit of metal is of value. Yet everytime you character fidgets with the gun, a piece of the gun, or a valuable bullet flies off and is never to be seen again. It doesn't affect your inventory, but it just doesn't make sense.

Place your nominations.

Scoundrel Swanswater
03-31-2005, 06:19 AM
Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
When you leave the main character unattended after awhile he starts looking around.
He zooms in on girl's behinds or on cops giving chase.
As the camera follows what he looks at, you really get to see how alive the city is.

Jayn_Newell
03-31-2005, 06:20 AM
I usually don't pay attention that much, nor do I even bother to let my game sit that long very often. But I remember when I was younger letting Earthworm Jim stand around to try and see all the fidgets. Stuff like shooting his gun, tapping his foot, there's even one where he even pulls himself out of his suit and uses himself as a jumprope* (how does that one work?). I've never had a copy of the game, so I can't remember what all the fidgets are, but some of them are quite amusing. I think he does the yo-yo as well.

*Oh yeah, I nominate this one for best.

Harborwolf
03-31-2005, 06:41 AM
I'll second Earthworm Jim. That game was brilliant all around. The fidgets added to the general atmosphere of lunacy.

And it worked because he was an earthworm in a robot super suit. Duh. :D

Hamish
03-31-2005, 06:45 AM
Maybe it's just that I tend to play older games, but I don't see this that often. I do notice that in Civilization III, the various units do it. I think the best one there is the Settler taking a swig from a bottle.

RobuSensei
03-31-2005, 08:02 AM
These don't really count as "fidgets," but the best idle behavior I've ever noticed came from repeatedly clicking on units in Warcraft or Starcraft. After a few iterations of "yes, sir!" or "by your command, my liege," the units get kind of antsy.

"'Join the army,' they said. 'See the WORLD,' they said..."
"We got a real loony here!"
"I'm MUCH funnier in the registered version!"

MacTech
03-31-2005, 08:14 AM
other amusing Warcraft ones....

Do you touch the other Elves like this?

Dark Knights had an attitude...
Stop that!
I warned you!
Don't make me run you through

of course, there's the classic Sonic the Hedgehog fidget, where Sonic looks at the player, raises his eyebrows in exasperation and begins tapping his foot impatiently

velveeta
03-31-2005, 11:15 AM
These don't really count as "fidgets," but the best idle behavior I've ever noticed came from repeatedly clicking on units in Warcraft or Starcraft. After a few iterations of "yes, sir!" or "by your command, my liege," the units get kind of antsy.

"I'm MUCH funnier in the registered version!"

There's also "Don't ask. Don't tell." :D

bouv
03-31-2005, 11:22 AM
For best:

Commander Keen: I think this was onyl on Commander Keen 4 (the best one.) Normally, if you just awit around for a while, he will pull out a boo, sit down, and start reaing. However, if you were in the Temple of the Moon, and were motionless while standing on a certain part of the fllor (the part with a picture of the moon) then Keen will turn around, pull down his pants, and moon you.

velveeta
03-31-2005, 11:26 AM
In Halo 2 there's a part where you, as The Chief, are supposed to jump down a multi-story shaft. If you stand around too long, Cortana starts teasing you:

"After that stunt on the Cairo, I KNOW you're not afraid of heights."

I believe she also offers to "get out and push" or something along those lines.

Tentacle Monster
03-31-2005, 11:27 AM
Half-Life: If you're using the Snarks and sit still for a while, you try to tickle the Snark. Then you learn something about a Snark's mouth.

Severian
03-31-2005, 11:30 AM
The Simpsons: Hit & Run has a different fidget for every different costume you buy. It's nicely done.

X-Men: Legends has one that really made me laugh. If you stand motionless long enough the character says something along the lines of "Ahhhh, nothing to do. Guess I'll just stand around." The delivery of the line is just excellent. Of course I can't recall which character it was, though I'm thinking Cyclops or Iceman.

Anastasaeon
03-31-2005, 11:37 AM
For best:

Commander Keen: I think this was onyl on Commander Keen 4 (the best one.) Normally, if you just awit around for a while, he will pull out a boo,

This sounds much more interesting than mooning! :eek: ;)

I'm going to have to third Earthworm Jim. That was an awesome game, and the fidgets were a big part of it. I loved his random burst of song, where he'd put his hand on his chest, throw his head back, and drawl, "LA LA LA!" Or one of those 5-10 second gigantic belches, from which he'd always excuse himself: "Pardon me."

Silly. But effective. The sheer randomness of it was enough to make you laugh.

The Hamster King
03-31-2005, 12:20 PM
In one of the Rayman games he takes his torso and dribbles it like a basketball ... .

Max Torque
03-31-2005, 01:09 PM
I'm currently playing Voodoo Vince, and his fidgets make me laugh. He'll look over his shoulder at you and shrug, like, "Well?" And sometimes he yo-yos.

There was one in the original Mario 64, as I recall, that involved stationing him by a tree with his back to you. After a few seconds, you'd hear what sounded like a zipper, followed by Mario "watering the tree".

Snickers
03-31-2005, 01:10 PM
Sonic would even lie down after a good long time. He's the best.

The 7Up spot also yo-yo'd, I believe.

And Link's pretty cool to watch when he isn't doing anything.

ArrMatey!
03-31-2005, 01:46 PM
Argh. I remember there being a fidget in Zombies Ate the Neighbors, but I can't remember what it is!

hiebram
03-31-2005, 05:13 PM
In Dungeon Keeper, if you let the game sit - even while paused - long enough, the narrator would say,

"The very rock yawns in anticipation of your next fascinating move."

That's verbatim. I can still hear his smarmy voice.

Hiebram

Skywatcher
03-31-2005, 05:29 PM
Best: National Lampoon's Chess Maniac 5 billion and One. Haven't been able to play this in a long time but I remember a dog would pee on the board and your maniacal opponent will cheat if you don't catch him in time. I'm sure there are plenty of other bits that I don't remember.

Hal Briston
03-31-2005, 05:42 PM
I'm going to have to third Earthworm Jim. That was an awesome game, and the fidgets were a big part of it. I loved his random burst of song, where he'd put his hand on his chest, throw his head back, and drawl, "LA LA LA!" Fourthed.

That "LA LA LA!" is still part of my circle of friends' daily vocabulary.

"Moo."

Iacob_Matthew
03-31-2005, 06:00 PM

"I'm MUCH funnier in the registered version!"Zeratul (I think) has plenty, but I only remember the last three before he cuts off and goes back to regular responses.
"This is NOT warcraft in space."
"It's much more complicated."
"I KNOW it's not 3-D!"

mobo85
03-31-2005, 06:42 PM
There was one in the original Mario 64, as I recall, that involved stationing him by a tree with his back to you. After a few seconds, you'd hear what sounded like a zipper, followed by Mario "watering the tree".

Now that I think about it, Mario's snore does sound like a zipper.

Wolfian
03-31-2005, 08:00 PM
Sonic would even lie down after a good long time. He's the best.

The 7Up spot also yo-yo'd, I believe.

And Link's pretty cool to watch when he isn't doing anything.

Darn, you took mine. Except for the 7Up one.

Miller
03-31-2005, 08:24 PM
In the recently released FPS Snowblind, if you stand around long enough, you start doing shadow puppets.

Infovore
03-31-2005, 10:29 PM
I'm showing my age here, but there used to be a console game in the '80s called Major Havoc, and in that one if you waited too long to do anything the little guy would do the foot-tapping, arm-crossing thing. It was very cute at the time (he was just a little vector-graphics guy--the graphics were similar to the old game Tempest, which I think was made by the same company) and I used to pause for awhile just so I could see him do it.

My favorite, though, is a little space-alien character from a recent (recent being defined as "in the last 3-5 years") RPG. I'm driving myself crazy trying to remember which one, so if anybody could help me that would be great. He wore a little fishbowl space helmet and carried a zap gun, and when you'd stop playing for awhile he'd stand on his head, rock back and forth, and wave his little feet in the air. Again it was really cute to watch, and again I'd often stop

Infovore
03-31-2005, 10:30 PM
(sorry, hit "Submit" too fast)

...often stop playing for awhile just to watch him do it.

Tentacle Monster
03-31-2005, 10:42 PM
winterhawk11: This is an educated shot in the dark, but might you be talking about Starky from Chrono Cross? I'm thinking so because Chrono Cross came out in 2000, features an alien just like you described, and is one of the few RPGs that had character fidgets.

For reference, a picture of Starky. (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/TentacleMonster/release-3-starky.gif)

Hunter Hawk
03-31-2005, 11:42 PM
This isn't in a video game per se, but if you load the season 2 DVD of Red vs. Blue and let it sit on the menu screen, the medic will eventually appear, recite some really cheesy line in an awful "villain" voice, and then take away one of the menu options. Wait a while longer, and he'll do it again. Eventually when you get down to the last menu item, he'll start reciting his line and then give up, switch to his normal voice, and tell you "Look, this is getting ridiculous. Just pick something!"

Ranchoth
04-01-2005, 01:11 AM
Worst: Soldier of Fortune II

Your character, John Mullins, tends to fidget more often than most characters do. (His nerves must be shot after 'Nam) Now, usually this takes the form of flexing his fingers, adjusting some knobs on this side of his OICW, etc. But when he's holding a shotgun, the fidget takes the form of gently tossing the weapon up in the air and catching it.

Why is this so bad? Well, aside from looking unprofessional, there have been quite a few times when one has Mullins sneaking through some level, you turn the corner...and into some baddies with submachine guns are hiding in the shadows. But, since you haven't actually shot anyone for a minute or two, Mullins chooses that exact moment to playfully toss his shotgun into the air. :eek:

I'm not sure if I've actually tested it to see if there's any more delay in using the weapon during one of those fidgets—I'd guess there wouldn't be—but after playing for long enough, some little reptilian section of my brain tells me to wait until the weapon is "ready" before trying to fire it. A delay of a couple of seconds, at the absolute most. But it's enough to cause big f**ing trouble. :mad:

That said, the M590 shotgun in that game is one of the finest weapons I've ever had the pleasure of using in an FPS. I need to give it that much.

Ranchoth
04-01-2005, 01:14 AM
Hmmm. What do ya know, the new " :eek: " really did capture the look on my face at that moment.

Scissorjack
04-01-2005, 04:13 AM
The Simpsons: Hit & Run has a different fidget for every different costume you buy. It's nicely done.

My favourites are Homer's fidgets: if you change his costume to "Casual Homer" {just wearing a pair of white undies}, he'll peer around trying to see his bum, and scratch it when he finds it. All time best though, is "Evil Homer": he has his little red devil suit, with horns and a tail, and if you leave him unattended he'll go into the "I am evil Homer" dance, complete with invisible maracas.

DWMarch
04-01-2005, 07:14 AM
It's not the most original fidget in the world but I thought it was really neat when I saw it: the infantry in the original Command and Conquer will start doing push ups if they get bored.

Infovore
04-01-2005, 09:50 AM
winterhawk11: This is an educated shot in the dark, but might you be talking about Starky from Chrono Cross? I'm thinking so because Chrono Cross came out in 2000, features an alien just like you described, and is one of the few RPGs that had character fidgets.
Yes! Thank you! :)

I thought it might be Chrono Cross, but I poked around and couldn't find any reference to Starky. I couldn't remember his original name--for reasons lost to time, we renamed him "Doorky." :)

CandidGamera
04-01-2005, 10:33 AM
Super Smash Bros. Melee for the Gamecube has some excellent fidgets. I wish I could remember most of them...

Alias
04-01-2005, 02:18 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhhh Earthworm Jim was the best for stuff like that. In fact, it was just the best game period.

Some other good fidgets are in Silent Hill 4. If you leave Henry to stand while holding the chainsaw, he'll hold it over his head like Ash from the Evil Dead movies. If you leave him standing the lead pipe, he'll swing it around a bit. My personal favorite is when you leave him standing with the golf club. He practices his swing.

Shoeless
04-01-2005, 02:29 PM
Not really a fidget because it's not a player character, but in Baldur's Gate there seem to be an awful lot of townspeople who like to stand around scratching their ass.

Page Fault
04-01-2005, 04:04 PM
Best: Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight

If you wait long enough while holding the lightsaber, Kyle will start shaving with it.

FilmGeek
04-01-2005, 04:14 PM
I was going to mention Voodoo Vince and Earthworm Jim. There was a game that came out as one of the first for the original playstation with Phil Hartman doing the voice that had some funny fidgets.

World of Warcraft. When you poke the lazy peons and you're not on the quest, one of them says "i'm not that kind of orc".

DVD stuff: On the Kevin Smith DVD he does a lot of stuff if you don't pick something from the menu fast enough.

sturmhauke
04-15-2005, 04:14 AM
In American McGee's Alice, the fidget depends on the weapon. If Alice has the vorpal blade in hand, she'll throw it in the air and catch it in her head. Then she'll calmly pull it out and do it again.

Mangetout
04-15-2005, 05:41 AM
I can't remember the game (might it have been Little Computer People for the C64?), but the character would look at you, tap his foot etc, then evetually, lean forward and knock on screen, from the inside- accompanied by a realistic sound of someone knocking on a glass CRT.

Edward The Head
04-15-2005, 08:13 AM
I think I might have the worst, and the problem is that it's not just when you're standing around.

I've been playing Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, and the kids are just annoying. If you're not doing exactly what the game wants one of them complains. I've been trying to explore, which you're supposed to do anyway, and they just keep saying, we need to get to class, I'm tired, lets go. Crap like that. Very annoying all around.

I don't know who play tested this game but they didn't do a good job, half way through the game it's still telling me how to use the camera.

Homebrew
04-15-2005, 09:00 AM
On some of the Crash Bandicoot GBA games, Crash will pull a GBA out of his pocket and start playing a game.

FordPrefect
04-15-2005, 09:21 AM
Splinter Cell 2 - Pandora Tomorrow is a third person steath game. I left Sam Fisher hiding in a hallway while I went to the bathroom. When I came back he had turned to face the camera and raised his arms in a, "Come on, let's get going already" way. Very funny.

sturmhauke
04-15-2005, 11:18 AM
I don't know who play tested this game but they didn't do a good job, half way through the game it's still telling me how to use the camera.
Hey, don't blame the play testers, blame the management that pushes games out the door too soon.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.