PDA

View Full Version : Survivor crew

Johnny L.A.
04-01-2005, 02:19 PM
I was talking with a friend of mine who knows/knew someone who was on the crew of Survivor a while ago. According to the FOAF, it was a horrible job. Lots of heat, lots of insects, lots of work. Having gripped on a few small projects, I know how hot, dirty, sweaty and fatiguing crew positions can be. But hey, I worked on a film in New Orleans one August doing continuity and schlepping gear for no pay. (Actually, I did get $50 ten years later.) Yeah, it was harsh; but I'd do it again.

So how does one get on the crew of Survivor? I can operate a broadcast camera, I can schlep gear, and I'm not above being a PA. Even given the second-hand report of the harsh conditions, I think it would be a great experience. (And I collect experiences.)

Ethilrist
04-01-2005, 02:28 PM
Going to cbs.com, there was a link in the lower left for corporate info at Viacom.com. That site had a Jobs link on it, and that might be a good place to start.

But, yes, to quote a paraphrase of that old line about Ginger Rogers, Survivor camera operators do everything the Survivors do, backwards, carrying a camera. Not easy work. They probably get fed, though.

Johnny L.A.
04-01-2005, 03:10 PM
Thanks, Ethilrist. I've sent an e-mail to Viacom asking where I can get onto a production crew (not just for Survivor).

Shayna
04-01-2005, 03:18 PM
Not that Thomas has any kind of pull or influence (ha ha! -- sorry, honey), but if you think it would be at all helpful to have an internal reference/recommendation, let us know, since Thomas works for Paramount Pictures, which is owned by Viacom (http://www.cjr.org/tools/owners/viacom.asp).

Johnny L.A.
04-01-2005, 03:29 PM
Hi Shayna! :)

That could be good. I don't have to work on Survivor. It would be cool just to work in production. I wouldn't mind finding temporary digs down there, as long as I had a job that would let me keep my wonderful PNW house-by-the-beach! (Although my friend Jerry, who's looking at a lot of work coming up, may be disappointed if I'm not around to crew for him.)

PS: I sent you an e-mail. :)

Voyager
04-01-2005, 03:37 PM
Film crews are heavily unionized. The son of friends of ours got himself a kind of internship on a George Romero movie (he dated his daughter) but getting paying work would have been very difficult. I seem to remember an extensive apprenticeship was needed before you got to join the union - and this film shot in Toronto. Good luck, but I bet the crew is Hollywood based, and people wanting to do this work are not in short supply.

Johnny L.A.
04-01-2005, 03:44 PM
:smack: I forgot about the unions!

jimpatro
04-01-2005, 06:18 PM
Don't forget about "it's who you know". I spent a summer in L.A. and contacted a producer from my hometown. A FOAF situation. I had recommendations from folks who knew my work so he was willing to give me a go on a new reality show set out in the wilderness somewhere. I ended having to come home pre-maturely and guess what I find out later it was Survivor.

Little Nemo
04-01-2005, 10:46 PM
And don't forget the downside of being on the crew. Interns on Fear Factor, for example, are required to test all of the stunts before the players do, including test-eating anything that will be used on the show.

interface2x
04-02-2005, 02:33 PM
Which is terrifying mostly because that means there are some things they do that are so terrible they won't subject the contestants to them...

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.