PDA

View Full Version : Ooh! Ooh! Bill Nye for Grownups!

Tuckerfan
04-04-2005, 06:44 PM
Freakin' sweet, baby! (http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.04/play.html?pg=4)The Andy Kaufman of the science world is back. Bill Nye, the rubber-faced engineer whose television series for kids was equal parts lesson and stand-up comedy, returns to the small screen April 3. Whereas Bill Nye the Science Guy introduced elementary scientific concepts to elementary school viewers, The Eyes of Nye takes on hard-hitting adult topics like addiction, cloning, and climate change. The show airs on local public television stations (www.eyesofnye.org). But Nye's more serious avocation hasn't compromised his zany edge. When Wired caught up with him, the topics foremost in his mind were bugs, PB&J, and sex.Naturally, my local PBS station probably won't be carrying it.

BytopianDream
04-04-2005, 07:11 PM
You need to move to Georgia dude!
We got like 12 stations playing it!

Sweet!

BILL BILL BILL

Bill Nye the Science Guy

BILL BILL BILL

It's like Bullshit but without the swearing.

Tomorrow at 7:30, check.

Odinoneeye
04-04-2005, 07:42 PM
You mean the orignal Bill Nye wasn't for grown ups?

Huh...

kung fu lola
04-04-2005, 09:21 PM

And also without the a-holery, don't forget that particular virtue!

I've watched all the little blurbs on the site and the "race" and "antibiotic" ones are my faves.

Gatopescado
04-05-2005, 12:11 AM
I'll keep my eyes peeled for this. I've been a Nye fan since "Almost Live".

Zabali_Clawbane
04-05-2005, 12:34 AM
Fixed (http://www.eyesofnye.org/) eyesofnye link. ;)

rjung
04-05-2005, 02:13 AM
While I welcome Mr. Nye's crusade against ignorance -- hey, Bullshit! without the swearing is almost as good as Bullshit! with the swearing -- I have to confess that Beakman is funnier. :D

Duderdude2
04-05-2005, 02:34 AM
At one of those virtual roller coaster at Disney World, Bill Nye hosts the creation process (the part where you create the coaster you want to ride), only he calls himself "Bill Nye, The Coaster Guy."

I thought it was funny.

Tuckerfan
04-05-2005, 02:41 AM
At one of those virtual roller coaster at Disney World, Bill Nye hosts the creation process (the part where you create the coaster you want to ride), only he calls himself "Bill Nye, The Coaster Guy."

I thought it was funny.
He's also done some shows on NASA TV. Personally, I think that they should make him their first "Teacher in Space."

Duderdude2
04-05-2005, 02:49 AM
^ Now that you mention it, I just remembered that he was also on the show BattleBots as an analyzer or something.

pendgwen
04-05-2005, 03:38 AM
I saw this advertised a couple of days ago. I'll be watching. About 15 years ago, long before I knew who he was, Bill Nye came in and did a science presentation for my elementary school class. Once I got old enough to stay up and watch Almost Live I saw a Bill Nye segment and it took me a while to figure out why he looked familiar.

h.sapiens
04-05-2005, 08:58 AM
I'm not surprised it's not on in Chicago. I guess I have to console myself with watching Bill in "100 Greatest Discoveries" on Discovery HD Theater.

Mr. Excellent
04-05-2005, 09:15 AM
He's also done some shows on NASA TV. Personally, I think that they should make him their first "Teacher in Space."

Um. Last time they tried that, it didn't work out so well.

Agrippina
04-05-2005, 09:24 AM
Our PBS station isn't carrying it either. :(

Perhaps I will write to them.

Tuckerfan
04-05-2005, 10:21 AM
Um. Last time they tried that, it didn't work out so well.
Well, I think they've gotten some the kinks worked out since then.

Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor
04-05-2005, 01:48 PM
I just e-mail the Nashville NPT station.

Asked em about Nye.
Will report back as needed.

Robot Arm
04-05-2005, 02:12 PM
You mean the orignal Bill Nye wasn't for grown ups?Depends what you mean by "original". As gatapescado mentioned, Nye was on a local, Seattle sketch-comedy show before he went national. He did Science Guy type stuff, somewhat geared to adults, and was in other sketches. You haven't lived 'til you've seen him as Speed Walker, the superhero who fights crime while adhering to the rules of the international race-walking federation. Heel, toe. Heel, toe!

dropzone
04-05-2005, 04:42 PM
Well, I think they've gotten some the kinks worked out since then.(remembering Columbia) I wouldn't bank on it. :(

Cervaise
04-05-2005, 05:03 PM
Nye was on a local, Seattle sketch-comedy show before he went national.I'm a Seattle resident and I remember him from way back. In fact, a few years ago, I answered phones during one of the public-TV station's fund drives, and Nye came into the studio for a couple of hours to do some promotional stand-ups in front of the camera. I got to talk to him for a while.

Well, I didn't actually get to talk to him. I shook his hand and said hello.

Well, actually, mostly I just waved at him from across the room.

Okay, okay. I leaped over a desk, tried to take a souvenir bite out of his arm, and was dragged weeping from the studio.

But it counts!

Tuckerfan
04-05-2005, 05:05 PM
(remembering Columbia) I wouldn't bank on it. :(If you've paid any attention to the details of the coming launch of the Discovery, you'd know that the odds of another Columbia or Challenger style disaster is pretty slim.

Antigen
04-05-2005, 05:27 PM
I've written to my PBS stations. I hope they decide to air it... if not I guess there will eventually be a DVD set.

Chronos
04-05-2005, 07:36 PM
If you've paid any attention to the details of the coming launch of the Discovery, you'd know that the odds of another Columbia or Challenger style disaster is pretty slim.About 1 in 50, per launch. If you'll recall, we had much the same drive to update the Shuttle fleet and make it safer after Challenger, and we still lost another one. I think we can be confident that there won't be another accident of the same form as either of the two we've had, but there are thousands of things which could potentially go wrong on a Shuttle flight, and we haven't had enough accidents to really know what most of them are.

Tuckerfan
04-05-2005, 07:57 PM
About 1 in 50, per launch. If you'll recall, we had much the same drive to update the Shuttle fleet and make it safer after Challenger, and we still lost another one. I think we can be confident that there won't be another accident of the same form as either of the two we've had, but there are thousands of things which could potentially go wrong on a Shuttle flight, and we haven't had enough accidents to really know what most of them are.That's true of anything, though. So we can either choose to hide our heads in the sand, or we can acknowledge that there are risks to everything and accept them. Besides, as much as I'd hate to lose Bill, it's not like he's a national treasure.

threeorange
04-06-2005, 07:53 PM

I hope it will be like Bullshit without the Libertarian Party propagandizing posing as objective debunking.

Papermache Prince
04-08-2005, 02:12 PM
Bill Nye the Science Guy in person! (http://skeptic.com/lectures.html#apr)
Germs, germs, everywhere! We live with them all day, every day. Did you know that: Some germs are good for you, or even delicious? There are more germs inside you than there are people on Earth? Your body is constantly fighting germs, even when you aren't sick? Come hear Bill speak, and you’ll learn about these things and more. Find out about germs and how to stay healthy in this delightful presentation based on his new book Great Big Book of Tiny GERMS, as well as a few new things from Nye Labs. Bring the kids, and the kids' friends, for an afternoon of science and a blast of fun.Prices are reasonable - $12 for non-members; $8 for Skeptic Society members; $5 for students under 18, or people carrying Caltech or JPL id - alas, I'm on the wrong coast.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.