View Full Version : Is there a term for these type of lyrics?

Little Nemo
04-05-2005, 01:59 AM
In the song "Mr Brightside" by the Killers, there are the following lyrics:

Now they're going to bed
And my stomach is sick
And it's all in my head
But she's touching hisóchest

There are several other songs which use the same idea - having the rhyme scheme make you think one word is going to be used and then substituting another one. Is there a term for this?

04-05-2005, 02:04 AM

No, I kid. These lyrics don't move me one way or the other.

In answer to your question, I can't think of any term more technical than "misdirection."

04-05-2005, 07:23 AM
I don't thik there is a term for it, but it not really a new thing:

"I have a sad story to tell you
It may hurt your feelings a bit
Last night when I walked into my bathroom
I stepped in a big pile of

Shaving cream, be nice and clean
Shave everyday and you`ll always look keen"

Chance the Gardener
04-05-2005, 07:56 AM
I might call it misdirection. I don't know if there's a term that specifically applies to misdirection through rhyme, though.

Scott Plaid
04-05-2005, 08:18 AM
It seems to take the idea from many schoolyard rhymes. They have been discussed here before. I don't recall a specfic name distinguishing Misdirecting Rhymes fom other kinds, though I can think of one or two possibilities.
Mary had a steamboat... (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=304161&highlight=silver+buttons)

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.