PDA

View Full Version : TAR 4/5 & 4/6

Barbarian
04-05-2005, 07:12 AM
We've got two episodes this week: tonight's 9 o'clock leg, and tomorrow's half-season recap/unseen footage for those who haven't been following closely.

I was emailed a TV guide article about the now-eliminated Susan and Patrick, and I believe it provides even more evidence that they were destined for the trash heap from the get-go.

Among the items that Susan packed in her bag for a race around the world, where the competitors are either sleeping in a hotel or sleeping on the street: a hair dryer and a curling iron. :rolleyes:

Edward The Head
04-05-2005, 08:27 AM
Among the items that Susan packed in her bag for a race around the world, where the competitors are either sleeping in a hotel or sleeping on the street: a hair dryer and a curling iron. :rolleyes:

That's F'ing funny. I hope they show her trying to actully use the thing in the clip show that would be even funnier.

I'm looking forward to tonight's show. I'm kind of glad I didn't get up for swimming so I'm not as tired.

Draelin
04-05-2005, 08:48 AM
Who'd have thought of the two of them, Susan would be the one to overpack? :)

I've got my fingers crossed for Brian and Greg to move up--they deserve to stay around after that amazing sprint to the finish last leg. But the preview makes it look like GI Joe and Skipper are going to get in a nice, nasty fight. I very much look forward to that.

Broken Wind
04-05-2005, 11:18 AM
I've got my fingers crossed for Brian and Greg to move up--they deserve to stay around after that amazing sprint to the finish last leg. But the preview makes it look like GI Joe and Skipper are going to get in a nice, nasty fight. I very much look forward to that.
Here, here! On both points. Do I remember her screaming "Redneck!" in the preview? Oh, I can't wait for them to disintegrate dismally.

Draelin
04-05-2005, 11:42 AM
Do I remember her screaming "Redneck!" in the preview? Oh, I can't wait for them to disintegrate dismally.
I believe she said something to the effect of "Don't talk to me, you piece of redneck trash."

That made me happy. Way to develop a personality, Skipper!

jayjay
04-05-2005, 11:46 AM
I believe she said something to the effect of "Don't talk to me, you piece of redneck trash."

That made me happy. Way to develop a personality, Skipper!

She was talking to Ron? Oh, my...I need to start watching the previews again...

rockle
04-05-2005, 02:57 PM
Brian and Greg are #3 and #4 on my list of TV boyfriends. I like them very much and hope they continue to do well.

"GI Joe" and "Skipper" -- tee hee! Love it! (I'd ask you to marry me, but I doubt you're interested because your TV boyfriends are the same as mine.)

Oh, and here's hoping Rob and Amber are the next to go.

Draelin
04-05-2005, 03:25 PM
(I'd ask you to marry me, but I doubt you're interested because your TV boyfriends are the same as mine.)
We'd spend all our time fighting over them, and that's no way to raise the kids. :)

I'd like to see Rob and Amber go tonight ... but I think it would be so much more satisfying to see them come in second. Take a moment to imagine the look on Rob's face, and tell me it wouldn't be fabulous.

rockle
04-05-2005, 03:49 PM
I'd like to see Rob and Amber go tonight ... but I think it would be so much more satisfying to see them come in second.
This is true. I thought the same thing about C&C Abusic Factory, too ... but we didn't get to see their faces when they came in second. :mad: Anyway, I am looking forward to tomorrow night's episode. I hope there are some good one-liners from those poor Biker Boys who were Philiminated first. They were funny.

Judith Prietht
04-05-2005, 04:03 PM
I don't know if tonight will be up to the awesomeness of last week's episode, but I do hope that Brian and Greg do well. In the preview there seemed to be some issue about reading the clue that makes me nervous.

Draelin
04-05-2005, 04:08 PM
I don't know if tonight will be up to the awesomeness of last week's episode, but I do hope that Brian and Greg do well. In the preview there seemed to be some issue about reading the clue that makes me nervous.
Aw, hell, you're right. I totally forgot about that. Well, here's hoping somebody else screws up even bigger. :)

BiblioCat
04-05-2005, 05:26 PM
Brian and Greg are #3 and #4 on my list of TV boyfriends. I like them very much and hope they continue to do well.

They're on my list of pretend TV boyfriends, too, along with Ian and Tom. ;p
I'd hate to see them go tonight.

I can't wait to see Rob and Amber go; I still hate them. I hate how they've gotten help from people who recognize them. I wonder how the others feel about that now that they're watching the show - I don't know if they knew it was happening then, unless R&A told them, and it does give them a bit of an unfair advantage. It really irks me.

rockle
04-05-2005, 07:04 PM
They're on my list of pretend TV boyfriends, too, along with Ian and Tom. ;p
I'd hate to see them go tonight.
Hey! You're in the Cult with Draelin & me. Dorks ahoy!

mnemosyne
04-05-2005, 08:27 PM
Rob and Amber honestly believe the goats are MALE?!?!?!

drm
04-05-2005, 08:45 PM
"What's that a monkey on his back?"

I just love those two, the race would not be the same without them.

wonky
04-05-2005, 08:59 PM
That sucks! Grr.

Jaade
04-05-2005, 09:05 PM
Ok...nobody mentions the Unambigously Gay Duo's very racist remark about Uchenna and Joyce?

I'm very upset about the end, but the boys were morons for doing what they did at the end. They could have very well beat Team Geriatric if they hadn't stopped to change clothes. Of course, that's contingent on the difference between actual time and edited time.

I agree with the poster that has requested in the last that they show time stamps when they arrive instead of when they leave. (Both would be nice...)

Meredith and Gretchen are possibly my least favorite "old" team ever. I just don't like their attitude most of the time. Gretchen does have her moments when she shows how strong she is, but most of the time I have no good feelings about her. He's very whiny and seems passive agressive.

GraceTX
04-05-2005, 09:11 PM
My problem with Gretchen is she complains when she's just as responsible as Meredith for things. Meredith was driving and she kept complaining for him to watch where he was going. If he's going to do that, then she needed to look for clues!

Eureka
04-05-2005, 09:12 PM
I am at least 90 % sure that I have stayed at the Khwai River Lodge.

My favorite part of last week's episode was the "I've been there factor"--been to Johannesburg, been to Soweto, been to Francistown, been to Maun, etc.

I've ridden across the River Khwai- and across the Bridge over the River Khwai*.

I've seen elephants, giraffes, and many varieties of antelope up close and personal.

But I was startled when I looked up at the TV and thought - that swimming pool looks familiar. If the lodge is the one I think it is, there are ostrich egg chandeliers in the main dining hall. We slept in "tents" with running water and battery operated lights.

*The Bridge over the River Khwai was so labeled with emphasis because of the movie of umm, similar title. The bridge bears no resemblence to the bridge in the movies. We were highly amused by this.

Barbarian
04-05-2005, 09:19 PM
I love love LOVE what the gay guys and the bros. did for the mat. Tonight's show had me laughing very hard and sounding like a whooping crane.
"Big Money big money no whammies no whammies" <-- what game show is that from?

I am flabbergasted that Meredith and Gretchen are still in this race. They are doddering old fools stumbling through the wilderness. They should have been eaten by a wildebeest.

As for the remark about Uchenna and Joyce-- hey, they were kicking butt at the balancing task and looking like they were born to do it. Whereas Rob sounded like he wished Amber was milking him instead of the goat...

Fiver
04-05-2005, 09:26 PM
Rob and Amber honestly believe the goats are MALE?!?!?!
Yeah, that had me rolling! They kept using the "he" pronoun, and Rob referred to one of them as "big boy."

Makes me wonder just which organ he thought he was squeezing fluid out of.

Barbarian, I think that phrase is from Tic Tac Dough. Let's Google...

...no, I'm wrong. It was Press Your Luck.

Broken Wind
04-05-2005, 10:00 PM
Bummer dudes. I'm going to miss the comic relief, but I guess at some point 'smarts' need to kick in, and you guys just didn't have enough.

Dude #1: "I've seen so many sunrises with you."
Dude #2: "It's amazing... We should be dating."

::wipes spit take off of coffee table, floor, TV, self::

I agree with Barbarian about the U&J comment by Team Gay. At first I was taken aback, (what with all the 'Compton' comments from earlier eps) but upon rewind I think the context was that U&J were kicking so much ass at the task that "they were born to do it." I could be dead wrong, but I hope not.

It's a toss up for me who should go next. Former POW annoys the shit out of me, and Pageant Queen has started replacing her name while quoting scripture. :rolleyes: On the other hand, Meredith and Gretchen must die, if not literally then at least via Philimination. They GRATE on my nerves to no end.

Broken Wind
04-05-2005, 10:09 PM
Makes me wonder just which organ he thought he was squeezing fluid out of.
I had the same thought when Team Gay was working their goats. :eek:
(I think Amber did most of the goat work while Rob just held the cup. At least we know she has one talent, and what Rob sees in her now...)

Fiver
04-05-2005, 10:12 PM
At least we know she has one talent, and what Rob sees in her now...)
Mee-yow!

annieclaus
04-05-2005, 10:22 PM
It shouldn't have taken this long for these teams to realize: YA GOTTA READ THE CLUE AND DO WHAT IT SAYS!!!
Then you don't end up at the wrong water tower wasting time.
And you don't end up taking the ribbon and not the stake.
And you don't drive past the clue.
Three major mistakes in one episode.

In the meantime: Go Rob and Amber!!! Nice first place finish! And huge props to Uchenna and Joyce for their balancing act. That was spectacular!

Broken Wind
04-05-2005, 10:23 PM
Mee-yow!
More like, ROOAAAR!!!
This is Botswana, ya know.
;)

Mama Tiger
04-05-2005, 10:37 PM
[quote"Big Money big money no whammies no whammies" <-- what game show is that from?[/quote]

Definitely from Press Your Luck. I saw that show for the first time ever when I was in the hospital right after my son was born; there was this hideous woman screaming, "Big money! Big money!" and I was so horrified I stayed to watch. She was in the credits for years with that hideous scream.

Which was almost as irritating as Gretchen's whining voice. I have no idea why these two are still around, other than last week's NEL. Why couldn't there have been one this week for the Brothers? They would have happily raced around the world in their bathing suits and those ridiculous hats! Hee! Of course, Alex's "fashion statement" was equally hilarious -- especially since my friends and I had been saying all week that that's exactly what we'd do from here on out, or at least make sure we had clean underwear and a toothbrush in our pockets!

I'm sorry to see the Brothers go, but their navigation skills and clue-reading were not their strengths. I'll miss their humor, though.

Ms Macphisto
04-06-2005, 12:17 AM
I'm gonna miss the brothers too. :( Draelin, rockle, Bibliocat, do I get to join the Cult too, or will I have to fight you for them? The world really needs more dorky but cute guys in it, though I have to admit I generally like 'em a little smarter than Brian and Greg seem to be.

Both sets of "fashion statements" had me laughing so hard my neighbours are probably wondering what's wrong with me, and the look on Phil's face was just priceless both times. I just hope it wasn't quite as close as they made it look and the brothers didn't lose because they stopped to change.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be off mourning the loss of the brothers, and hoping that they at least get lots of quality moments in tomorrow night's clip show.

KGS
04-06-2005, 12:26 AM
It would have been hilarious if Brian & Greg got NEL'd, and the next leg was in Siberia or someplace similar. :) But dammit, that was the last team I gave two whits about. Sorry to see 'em go, as they deserved to stay in it. Where's a bunching point when you need one??

Ok...nobody mentions the Unambigously Gay Duo's very racist remark about Uchenna and Joyce?Oh, bullshit. Uchenna himself said, "It's my African roots coming back to help me!" Not every reference to someone's origins makes them a racist, mmkay?

Smeghead
04-06-2005, 02:16 AM
I had the same thought when Team Gay was working their goats. :eek:

"How many gay boys does it take to milk a goat?"

D-bear
04-06-2005, 02:17 AM
Has any other team had as many car issues on one legas team Gay?!? Cripes! Plus what was up with the driving Phobia?

The Big Cheese
04-06-2005, 05:13 AM
there's no one left i care about anymore. They took the hillbillies away from me, the two young women (not the bikini blondes, the other two), the cali boys. :(

Romber has no competition, they should breeze.

zut
04-06-2005, 07:09 AM
Unfortunately, I think this episode shows that sometimes bunching is good. Seems like no matter what anyone else did, Brian and Greg stayed far behind, and all the teams just stayed strung out from beginning to end just like beads.

Taxi Assessment

Stuck in the Desert and Officially Detained - or, Philiminated with extreme prejudice.
Ryan/Chuck and Megan/Heidi and Debbie/Bianca and Susan/Patrick and Ray/Deana - Gone, but not forgotten. Well, forgotten, too, for the most part. Still, it's kind of fun to imagine what the show would be like on Bizarro CBS where these teams are left and the others were eliminated.
Brian/Greg (downgraded from "Hey, Homes!") - I'm confused here -- how did this team not manage to catch up to anyone else, despite two teams having to retrace their route and a third needing two replacement vehicles? I went back and checked: Brian and Greg left the Pit Stop less than an hour behind first-place Ron and Kelly, and only ten minutes behind Meredith and Gretchen. Considering that Meredith and Gretchen had to retrace eighteen miles of two-track road between the Detour and the new Pit Stop, there's no way Brian and Greg should have come in last. They must've gotten mightily lost back at the beginning. Which is too bad for them, and I'll miss 'em, but... when three other teams hand you an opportunity and you can't follow through, say welcome to Sequesterville.

Flat Tire - or, not likely to get anywhere soon.
No one this week.

Stopping for Gas - or, not broken-down, exactly, but not a good sign.
Meredith/Gretchen (upgraded from Flat Tire) - All right, all right, all right already. This team gets an upgrade for the first time all season. They obviously developed a fatigue problem weeks ago, and every episode since I've expected them to drop out, and they're still by far the weakest team yet, and they made a dumb mistake this week. But here they are, one of the last five teams, and with an actual honest-to-God shot at making the final three. All they need is for a couple other teams to do something stupid at just the right time -- not exactly impossible. Who'd'a thunk? Still the most likely Next Victims, though.

"Hey, Homes!" - or, making meaningless ineffectual comments from the back seat, but in no immediate danger.
Lynn/Alex (holding steady) - Bad luck this episode with the broke-down trucks, but still a fourth-place finish. Will the Duo make it through the next episode without having truck or boat problems? Who can tell? At least they've toned down their Rob hate... now that Rob is so far ahead of them that they don't see him.

In the Passing Lane - or, ahead of the pack, but not quite comfortably.
Ron/Kelly (holding steady) - At the head of the pack the entire distance, and for the second week. Perhaps this team is simply getting better with time... or they're peaking a little early. I'm thinking perhaps the latter. A big part of their good showing recently is Ron's driving experience -- something that's important now, but probably won't be later. And Kelly is... unused to stress of any sort, I'd say, which makes this team the best candidate for a complete meltdown and subsequent Most Uncomfortable Exit Interview Ever. Still, this team is in a good position to make the final three.

Cruisin' with Earl - or, drivin' on the shoulder, takin' shortcuts, and generally kickin' butt.
Rob/Amber (upgraded from Passing Lane) - This team wasn't showing the frayed-around-the-edges look it did last week. Solid teamwork, and a contribution from Amber for a change, leads to another first place. Seriously, how could this team not make the final three? Unless one of the tasks next week is "make your way through a horde of autograph-seeking reality TV fans." There'd be some poetic justice in that...
Uchenna/Joyce (holding steady) - I almost downgraded this team because of their mistake at the Roadblock, and then I thought... man, that was a bullshit ruling. Uchenna violated the *letter* of the Roadblock instructions, but not the *intent*, which was to close off any particular path to subsequent teams. So I'm keeping this team on top as a form of protest (stick it to the man!). Really though, they seem to have reined in their tendency to get lost, and they're working well as a team, which is important in the latter part of the race when the competition gets fiercer. And they still remind me of Chip and Kim, and look what happened to those two.

Next week: I'm betting on a NEL.

Props to Mullinator and his Raj Ratings.

Broken Wind
04-06-2005, 07:11 AM
"How many gay boys does it take to milk a goat?"
One to pull on its teat while the other fondles its...

balls?!?

Hey, THAT'S NO TEAT!!!

::cue 'Psycho' music::

rockle
04-06-2005, 07:15 AM
I'm gonna miss the brothers too. :( Draelin, rockle, Bibliocat, do I get to join the Cult too, or will I have to fight you for them? The world really needs more dorky but cute guys in it, though I have to admit I generally like 'em a little smarter than Brian and Greg seem to be.
Welcome, Esteemed Cult Member #4! It is indeed a sad day for all of us. Too bad there were no pop culture trivia challenges on this leg, because B&G would have ROCKED.

Has any other team had as many car issues on one legas team Gay?!? Cripes! Plus what was up with the driving Phobia?
Last year, Lori & Bolo had issues with the Trabant in Hungary, but that was just one problem. I never saw two replacement vehicles sent out in the same leg before. And it wasn't a driving phobia, so much as it was an inability to drive stick. I would have the same problem. And once a team decides who's going to do the Roadblock, they can't change. It wasn't a very good strategic move for Alex to take this Roadblock, I don't think, but with the 6-per-player limit and no idea what is coming up next, it might be one of those things that works out in the end.

Romber has no competition, they should breeze.
I don't know about this. They look good on paper, but having seen them in action on several occasions before, I know that Amber is generally pretty useless (although she could milk that "male" goat, go figure!) and Rob tends to "freak" a little bit when things get out of his control. If they ever find themselves behind, they might get sloppy and make a critical mistake. (Here's hoping!)

After last night, I really like Uchenna & Joyce. They really held it together, making up loads of time at the Detour, which turned out to help them out big time when they messed up the Roadblock. Plus, I find Uchenna distractingly attractive for reasons I don't entirely understand. He's not TV boyfriend material just yet, but he's movin' on up.

Edward The Head
04-06-2005, 07:56 AM
The brothers are my new heros. That was one of the funniest things I have ever seen on TV before. I know how I'm going to dress for my next swim meet this weekend. I might even go with the scarf if I can find one like that.

Over all I think this has been one of the better shows. Lots of things to see, interesting Roadblocks, and Detours that are hard to choose from. I hope they keep these kinds of shows up, it'll make for much better watching.

The Big Cheese
04-06-2005, 07:58 AM
"This one's got nice big teats!" -- Gretchen.

jayjay
04-06-2005, 07:59 AM
"This one's got nice big teats!" -- Gretchen.

As I noted to supervenusfreak, THERE'S something you never want to hear your grandmother say...

light strand
04-06-2005, 08:22 AM
The funniest line ever muttered on the Amazing Race to date, was when Alex was putting all of the clothes on (a brilliant plan) and Lynn asked him: "can you please put a pair of my underwear on your head like a headband?" and he was dead serious!

I don't care what the rest of you think, I love these guys!

Draelin
04-06-2005, 08:28 AM
I am sad. :( I'll miss my boys, but oh, that was funny. Way to go out in style. It almost makes up for the incredibly stupid mistake they made at the beginning.

Alex just cracked me up with the clothes, too. Was anyone else reminded of the Friends episode where Joey put on all of Chandler's clothes at once? Phil's face was priceless.

I'm with those who say Lynn's comment wasn't meant as racist. It struck me so as I heard it, but within seconds, I decided that it was just appreciation for how well Uchenna and Joyce were doing. Hell, Uchenna said they were born to do it, I can't fault Lynn for agreeing.

I can't recall ever seeing so many mistakes and bad situations on one leg. Made for good TV though, huh? :)

middleman
04-06-2005, 08:42 AM
A good episode follows a great episode. Props to the brothers for going out in style. This is turning out to be a fun season.

A few random thoughts:

* I don't think Alex meant it racist. There wasn't a hint of snark in his voice. It seemed respectful. Think of all the nasty comments the pair have made along the trip. Every time, they are SO pleased with themselves, that they let you KNOW they think they are witty. Not so this time.

* What was the EXACT wording of the instruction that Uchenna received on the clue marker? Did it say "take it out of the ground" or simply "remove the clue marker"? I saw that the ribbon was missing when he returned and assumed the production crew removed it so no other team could use that path. Did Uchenna actually remove just the ribbon?
If it just said "remove the clue marker" isn't the ribbon the clue marker? Kind of lame.

* I am stunned that Gretchen and Meredith are still in it. With a few breaks, the old couple could make the final three!

* Ron and Kelly may be my least favorite team in the two season I've watched. He annoys me more than Ass. Ass was at least good theater. Ron really is just a redneck who stumbled into history.

* Rob and Amber are in good shape. Anything can happen, but I expect to see them in the final three. Then, no one has a real edge. Inevitably there will be a bottleneck at the airport in the final three episode. So, anyone can win that. In defense of "do nothing" Amber, you must concede that on any physical challenge, she is fairly solid. I think they are a good team and have a nice relationship. I want them to win.

* I think next week will be an elimination leg and the NEL will be when there are four teams.

Trion
04-06-2005, 08:51 AM
* What was the EXACT wording of the instruction that Uchenna received on the clue marker? Did it say "take it out of the ground" or simply "remove the clue marker"? I saw that the ribbon was missing when he returned and assumed the production crew removed it so no other team could use that path. Did Uchenna actually remove just the ribbon?
If it just said "remove the clue marker" isn't the ribbon the clue marker? Kind of lame.

The clue said to "remove the post". Uchena only removed the ribbon.

middleman
04-06-2005, 09:19 AM
Then it was the correct ruling. Part of the game is reading the directins.

jayjay
04-06-2005, 09:22 AM
Then it was the correct ruling. Part of the game is reading the directins.

Generally, anytime the camera does one of those slow-motion focuses on some object in the foreground, it means the team somehow screwed up. They did it on the marker post and the clue that Team Geritol missed, they do it constantly when someone misses a clue box...I knew U&J were in trouble when they did that focus on the post.

Mullinator
04-06-2005, 09:27 AM
Ok...nobody mentions the Unambigously Gay Duo's very racist remark about Uchenna and Joyce?

I'm very upset about the end, but the boys were morons for doing what they did at the end. They could have very well beat Team Geriatric if they hadn't stopped to change clothes. Of course, that's contingent on the difference between actual time and edited time.

Based on The Early Show interview this morning, the brothers stated that at no time during this leg did they ever see another team. I guess the later start and incorrect water tower issues really dropped them down a bunch of notches.

Still, between goat milking porn, gay guys putting on all their clothes, and the brothers swim attire, this might be the funniest TAR episode ever.

Judith Prietht
04-06-2005, 09:46 AM
Damn. Damn damn damn. Even though Brian and Greg did cock it up by not reading the clue correctly, I wish they were still in this, fabulous swim trunks and all. It seems like fatigue is manifesting in messing up the clues. And Kelly going off on Ron, which was awesome and kind of pathetic all at once.

The editors seriously icked me out with Rob's porno murmuring over Amber pulling on the teats. That was unexpected.

I think I might also be a little bit in lurve with Uchenna; they're my favorite team at the moment. I'm nervous about Joyce's performance in future roadblocks, however. She really should have done the shopping one, just to have another one under her belt.

Great shots of the wildlife ambling about, although I was a little nervous when the brothers got a little close to that elephant.

rpinrd
04-06-2005, 10:42 AM
Brian/Greg (downgraded from "Hey, Homes!") - I'm confused here -- how did this team not manage to catch up to anyone else, despite two teams having to retrace their route and a third needing two replacement vehicles? I went back and checked: Brian and Greg left the Pit Stop less than an hour behind first-place Ron and Kelly, and only ten minutes behind Meredith and Gretchen. Considering that Meredith and Gretchen had to retrace eighteen miles of two-track road between the Detour and the new Pit Stop, there's no way Brian and Greg should have come in last. They must've gotten mightily lost back at the beginning. Which is too bad for them, and I'll miss 'em, but... when three other teams hand you an opportunity and you can't follow through, say welcome to Sequesterville.
EXACTLY! How long were those morons (sorry ladies of the Brian/Greg cult) at the first water tower? They started a mere ten minutes behind, and we saw no evidence that they actually got lost during the driving. They must have been at the wrong tower for HOURS!

And it wasn't a driving phobia, so much as it was an inability to drive stick.
I'm not so sure. He did just fine. Even driving in reverse in an unfamiliar vehicle with an unstable load strapped to the front end. He can drive stick, he just doesn't want to.

RitzyRae
04-06-2005, 11:05 AM
So these replacement vehicles? Do you suppose they are some stationed at intervals along the way or do you think they have to wait for them to come from one location? I can never tell how long they have to wait for them.

light strand
04-06-2005, 11:13 AM
According to the "Insider videos", the brothers got lost for a very long time.

This episode goes to show how spot-on shirtless Gus was. It's too bad that he isn't on this show, because he'd be in front. Gus said several times how far too many teams just ran for the sake of running. Careful attention while reading the clue would have pulled almost team ahead in this leg.

Askia
04-06-2005, 11:45 AM
The clue said to "remove the post". Uchenna only removed the ribbon. Actually, I thought it read "remove the post marker," which to me says 'the TAR ribbon attached to the post.' I might have done the exact same thing in Uchenna's place. Interpreting clues is SO important... it takes two people to do so. I think this is the first time I've seen somebody forced to backtrack and not lose their Pit Stop arrival ranking. I do hope the time Joyce and Uchenna lost retracing their steps doesn't mean any narrowly missed flights at the airport next week. The fact that they're at an airport doesn't guarantee bunching.

How cool was it that Brian and Greg hit the pool immediately after Philimination? The fact they saw not one other team their entire journey on this leg says a lot about their pulling over to strip to their bathing suits. Hey, sometimes you gotta take a shot, right?

I may be a minority in this opinion, but I still like Gretchen and Meredith a lot. I hope they do finish in the top three. I'm used to Gretchen's voice and silly sense of humor by now. Meredith isn't really a whiner so much as someone who just verbalizes his frustrations. He still grits his teeth to DO things; whiners tend to balk at tasks and/or quit. Meredith is no Patrick.

My respect for Lynn and Alex has grown after TWO replacement vehicles were needed for a leaking fuel tank and a flat tire and they still finished fourth. That said, I don't think Lynn's comments about U & J were racist so much as codingly racial. Lynn's comments come off kind of patronizing, and yeah, it's because he's white and I'm assuming he did not know that Uchenna's father is from Nigeria. But it's phrases like "they're born to do this," while standing around in the middle of Africa and "the pot calling the kettle black," -- Omarosa's screed from The Appretince -- that come off as insensitive when the speaker may not mean that at all.

Amber and Rob are unstoppable. What's this, their third first place finish? MAN.

Ron and Kelly simply aren't a good match as players or life partners. I'm sort of with Ron -- I'd expect someone with ballerina training to balance and walk with a bucket of water on their head. You have to trust your training.

BiblioCat
04-06-2005, 12:01 PM
I still don't like Rob. He made a snotty comment about Kelly, based on what he saw, rather than what he knew. Just because he saw that she didn't milk the goat, he made the assumption that she was afraid of breaking a nail or didn't want to get dirty.
In reality, Ron just didn't let her do it. She sat there begging him to let her do some of it.
Once again, I don't like Rob. He's an ass.

And a big :( for the boys.

interface2x
04-06-2005, 12:06 PM
I'm not so sure. He did just fine. Even driving in reverse in an unfamiliar vehicle with an unstable load strapped to the front end. He can drive stick, he just doesn't want to.

I got the impression he didn't know how since the other guy was giving him pretty specific instructions on how to drive it (i.e. foot on both the clutch and the brake, remove the emergency brake, etc).

Lamar Mundane
04-06-2005, 12:15 PM
I can't believe that I am the one who is going to post this, but we are on page two and no one else has said it...

The editors had a lot of fun with this episode. One of the gay guys (I think) was shown in a compromising position trying to push a goat to the milking station, but the really funny thing was on three occasions they cut from a closeup of hands on goat teats to a closeup of Kelly bent over foreward in her low-cut shirt.

Don't tell me that was a coincidence.

zut
04-06-2005, 12:45 PM
Yeah, no foolin'. I noticed that, too. That wasn't exactly gratuitious, but it was a bit sleazy. But also amusing, and Kelly was acting like a boob, so it kind of fit on multiple levels.

About Alex/Lynn's "born to do it" comment: certainly not racist, and I don't think even any racial overtones at all. Just kind of another way of saying "wow, he's good!" If you saw some guy nail a 250-yard drive and drop the ball onto the green ten feet from the flag, you might say, "Wow! He was born to be a golfer!" And that would mean that the guy's got a killer swing, not that he's a whitebread upper-crust Republican. Golfing != white dude, and Carrying Shit on your Head != black dude.

Nutty Bunny
04-06-2005, 12:48 PM
That was the best episode this season, I think. I was laughed, I cried, I scowled.

Seriously, I was massaging my cat when Rob and Amber checked in and won another trip and noticed that besides the scowl I had on my face, I was massaging him harder than I had intended. He didn't make a noise, so he probably just considered it a deep tissue massage.

I'm very sad that the boys are gone and I'm sure my mother is, too. Although she still has Rombuh left.

I loooove Rob and Amber! :rolleyes: Okay, I admit that they have a decent on-screen relationship and it's fun to watch them, but I can't like them. Nope.

I agree with Draelin. I want R&A to come in second. In fact, I want it to be a foot race with Lynn and Alex, not because I like them, but because they hate each other so much. ::evil smiley::

zut
04-06-2005, 12:52 PM
Oh, another point (yes I'm a dork and forgot to say it before I hit post): Alex/Lynn's "born to do it" comment might have had racial overtones, but only in the sense that he would almost certainly have known that Uchenna's dad was from Kenya (from conversation at the Pit Stop) -- Uchenna himself said he'd seen village women carrying stuff on their head all the time. But that's not so much racial overtones as societal overtones: the Detour involved doing something that Uchenna was familiar with, and the other teams were not, due to who Uchenna was, and his background.

Draelin
04-06-2005, 12:57 PM
I agree with Draelin. I want R&A to come in second. In fact, I want it to be a foot race with Lynn and Alex, not because I like them, but because they hate each other so much. ::evil smiley::
That's my dream ending.

Picture it ... Phil standing on the mat, with all the other eliminated teams standing around and waiting for the finish .... Rob and Amber come tearing across the inevitable open space sans backpacks and stuff, Lynn and Alex right behind them (perhaps with underwear on their heads, just for effect). Lynn and Alex take one look at each other, nod, and just fly past Romber like they're standing still to beat them to the mat by nanoseconds.

And then Lynn and Alex utterly collapse, because they're not cut out for running like that, while Rob stomps his feet and throws his hat and swears to himself and complains that they cheated, and Amber stands there, looking at her feet, continuing to be little more than a waste of skin.

But who the hell am I kidding? *le sigh* They're probably going to friggin' win.

Askia
04-06-2005, 01:40 PM
About Alex/Lynn's "born to do it" comment: certainly not racist, and I don't think even any racial overtones at all. Just kind of another way of saying "wow, he's good!" If you saw some guy nail a 250-yard drive and drop the ball onto the green ten feet from the flag, you might say, "Wow! He was born to be a golfer!" And that would mean that the guy's got a killer swing, not that he's a whitebread upper-crust Republican. Golfing != white dude, and Carrying Shit on your Head != black dude. Conceivably. But I can't equate most golfing skills with a natural ability or a cultural affinity, though. Whereas anyone who's seen a snippet of rural life in Africa, India and Asia has seen dark-skinned people carrying baskets on their heads from little kids to little old ladies and might make the erroneous assumption that it's "natural."

I'm not offended by the comment since it's not exactly mean-spirited (the earlier Compton remark was more off-putting), but I am annoyed by the implication that U & J did just what came naturally. Uchenna's African roots comment is less suspect, but I'd call out Joyce for selling wolf tckets if she'd made it. He learned this skill through observation, recalled what he'd seen and imitated it, then talked Joyce through it and showed her what to do.

Also, Alex/Lynn giving out unmixed snark-free compliments to any of their TAR competition is pretty unprecendented. Also, they made the comment while they QUIT the task to go running to milk the goats. It's the kind of dumb comment people make to feel better about themselves. It's the equivalent of me getting beat out in a (struggling to make a meanginful comparison) feng shui room assignment by Alex/Lynn in San Francisco and saying in the middle of switching detours to groom dogs, "Well, that's what Lynn and Alex were born to do."

Jaade
04-06-2005, 01:56 PM
Ok, perhaps I'm wrong but I really thought that Lynn's (or was it Alex's?) remark was intended the way it sounded. I feel that if Rob said that the "Ramber" detractors would have had a field day. However, I am in the minority on this and will let it go. KGS, I fail to see how one such comment by me makes you think that I think "every reference to someone's origins" is a racist comment. There's no need for snark in a Cafe Society thread.

I am, of course, ecstatic that Rob and Amber have another first place finish.

The clue did specifically say that they were supposed to remove the post, not just the marker. Everyone else took the stick with them.

Thanks Mullinator, I didn't get to see this morning's show. I guess they got lost for a *very* long time.

scotandrsn
04-06-2005, 03:10 PM
This was one dull episode. No travel, no grouping points to offer the chance for a team to really catch up. Perhaps it was needed, because all the teams looked and sounded completely burnt out after last week. Does one not sleep well on a salt flat?

From the leaderboard (http://www.cbs.com/primetime/amazing_race7/show/ep02/route/leader/) (which looks almost identical to last week's leaderboard):

Rombuh: I might not mind them so much if they weren't so full of themselves. Other than that, a good solid leg this time around, and if they fail to maintain their progress, as they have done before, next week is likely a non-elim. In fact, unless they lop off a leg, their going to have to double up on the non-elims this time around (which may be the plan, what with the "you run the next leg in your skivvies" penalty this season. The final three may be limping to the finish in the shreds of their tattered clothing.)

Ron/Kelly: Now, did he get captured because he's incompetent, or just to get away from her, or both? Other than leg one, they have a better track record than Rombuh, but I'm at a loss as to how they managed it.

Uchenna/Joyce: The only remotely likeable team left. They kicked butt fo the most part, and if they'd ever had any opportunity at all to catch up to the other teams, they might have been out in front, at least until they had to turn back to get the post. Can't they follow ANY kind of directions? ;)

Lynn/Alex: The sheer amount of spin being placed on this one comment in light of the fact that there are few teams left worth supporting exposes it for what it is: a sour-grapes comment that, hearing what they've hadto say so far in the race, almost definitely had racial overtones. These two are just a miserable pair. They race passably well, though, in spite of their abysmal luck with vehicles. I peg them as the last elimination, halfway through the finale.

Gretchen / Meredith: Isn't it odd that this leg had four women, but six women's names? I'm amazed their still here, and I'm not going to predict when they'll drop out anymore. It seems they can't possibly have thet much left in them, and if there were money on who goes next, I'd probably still put it on them, but": Go Team Headwound!

Brian/Greg: These two peaked early, and never quite pulled it back together. And with them go the fun & games. We're in for some cold, hard racing the next seven legs, with mostly unpalatable people.

zut
04-06-2005, 03:55 PM
Ok, perhaps I'm wrong but I really thought that Lynn's (or was it Alex's?) remark was intended the way it sounded. I feel that if Rob said that the "Ramber" detractors would have had a field day. However, I am in the minority on this and will let it go. Well, personally I like Rob and Amber more than I like Lynn and Alex, but I don't think Lynn's comment (or Alex's; I still can't keep 'em straight) was out of line. I thought about it a little more (after reading what Askia posted) and I think it's because the line "born to X" is so cliche that it has lost its literal meaning. I mean, you see bumper stickers and T-shirts and shit that say "born to golf" or "born to fly" or "born to shop," or someone might claim that so-and-so was "born to dance" or "born to sing" or "born to run," and that just means that the person likes and is good at whatever activity it is.

More importantly, the phrase is so overused euphemistically that you hardly hear it literally. That's why I think Alex's (or Lynn's) off-the-cuff remark was meant light-heartedly; it's easier to imagine them saying it without thinking through the literal implications. Now if the comment had been something like "Oh, of course Uchenna's so good at these African tasks!" then that would probably have been over the line. But it wasn't, and so it wasn't. IMHO.

Fenris
04-06-2005, 08:02 PM
What was up with the freebie car that Lynn and Alex got? I understand the first one where gas was leaking from the car--not their fault. But the second one? They ran over a sharp stick....while one was shrieking "Be caaaarefuuul!" --it's not like it was accidental, just stoopid.

Thing is, the rules say "If a player's car is disabled through no fault of the players , a new car will be provided to them. They will incur no penalty but the time they lose will not be restored."

#1) A flat tire, WHEN YOU HAVE A SPARE IN BACK, is not "disabled".
#2) It was their fault. Shouldn't they have incurred a penalty?

Fenris

KGS
04-07-2005, 01:05 AM
I wondered the same thing about Lynn & Alex, why didn't they change the tire themselves? Oh yeah...they're Lynn & Alex. Never mind. :)

As for the "no fault of their own" rule, I wonder if that applied in Brian & Greg's rollover last week. Clearly, it was the driver's fault (unless another lion jumped in front of the car) but they were given a new car with no penalty. Moot point now, I guess...

I wonder when the "replacement vehicle rule" first came into being. Way back in TAR3, four teams screwed up by putting unleaded gas into their diesel SUV's, and none of them got a new car -- in fact, at least two of the teams never seemed to figure out what the problem was. And I don't remember any of them asking for a new vehicle.

wonky
04-07-2005, 08:07 AM
I wonder when the "replacement vehicle rule" first came into being. Way back in TAR3, four teams screwed up by putting unleaded gas into their diesel SUV's, and none of them got a new car -- in fact, at least two of the teams never seemed to figure out what the problem was. And I don't remember any of them asking for a new vehicle.

I wasn't watching then. How did the teams keep going?

The Big Cheese
04-07-2005, 08:38 AM
last night's 'episode' reinforced the likeability factor of Brian and Greg. Best line..."Unlike other teams we don't have to decide if we want to remain brothers after the show. "

I always hate those interviews with couples not knowing what to do. ANyone know the status of that whiney guy with the devil horn hair and the woman who finished 3rd i think last year?? I heard Ray & Deana are engaged.

Draelin
04-07-2005, 09:33 AM
I'm dumb and forgot to change the time on my VCR last week, so I got nothin' when I went to check the tape. Anything really worth seeing on the recap?

Nutty Bunny
04-07-2005, 09:53 AM
I heard Ray & Deana are engaged.

Funny thing. I read that as "I heard Ray & Deana are enraged." :D

My husband, who hasn't watched the season at all, watched the recap show with me last night and was giggling like a little girl over everything that Rob was doing to the other teams. I hope he'll watch the final episodes with me now and we can root for opposing teams. How many episodes are left, anyway? One regular and one 2-hour finale?

jayjay
04-07-2005, 10:04 AM
Funny thing. I read that as "I heard Ray & Deana are enraged." :D

My husband, who hasn't watched the season at all, watched the recap show with me last night and was giggling like a little girl over everything that Rob was doing to the other teams. I hope he'll watch the final episodes with me now and we can root for opposing teams. How many episodes are left, anyway? One regular and one 2-hour finale?

I think three regular and the finale. We need two more eliminations before the Final Three, and I think we still have two non-eliminations to get out of the way.

Nutty Bunny
04-07-2005, 10:20 AM
Oh, good. I thought maybe the clip show meant that we were near the end. Thanks.

Draelin
04-07-2005, 10:38 AM
I think three regular and the finale. We need two more eliminations before the Final Three, and I think we still have two non-eliminations to get out of the way.
Yes, I'm pretty sure that Phil said there were four non-elim legs this time around. And two Fast Forwards, so we've still got one of those to see. How many Yields were there supposed to be, does anyone remember?

Gangster Octopus
04-07-2005, 11:32 AM
Actually, I thought it read "remove the post marker," which to me says 'the TAR ribbon attached to the post.'

Actually it said, "remove the post marking the path"

#1) A flat tire, WHEN YOU HAVE A SPARE IN BACK, is not "disabled".
#2) It was their fault. Shouldn't they have incurred a penalty?

I agree with #1, but I am not so sure on #2. The editing made it seem like it was their fault, but it is really too hard to tell. Maybe the tire was already gone just from regular driving and it had noting to do with some stick or whatever. And definitely the brothers would have had the same issue the week before if that was the standard. TO be honest I am not sure if the"through no fault of their own still applies" I know it was clear in previous seasons, but I honestly don't recall them saying it this season.

scotandrsn
04-07-2005, 11:51 AM
I think the producers have to look at the increased possibility of being mauled by an animal on the African Savannah while attempting a repair, hitching, walking for gas, etc. when deciding how closely to force the "fault of the player" issue during the last two episodes. Last week, in any event, they at least had to get B&G a new camera guy.

Edward The Head
04-07-2005, 12:22 PM
I'm dumb and forgot to change the time on my VCR last week, so I got nothin' when I went to check the tape. Anything really worth seeing on the recap?
You have a DVD player? I got a copy last night for a friend who couldn't watch. You can send me an email in my profile if you'd like me to ship lend you it for a bit.

Askia
04-07-2005, 12:28 PM
Actually it said, "remove the post marking the path" Oh? OH. Well, that changes everything, dunnit?

Draelin
04-07-2005, 12:29 PM
You have a DVD player? I got a copy last night for a friend who couldn't watch. You can send me an email in my profile if you'd like me to ship lend you it for a bit.
Just got confirmation that my friend taped it, so I'll get to see it. Thanks for the offer, though! :)

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.