PDA

View Full Version : Knights of the Republic II Questions/Spoilers

Zebra
04-05-2005, 09:48 AM
I finally finished this game and I have a few questions.

One, I never played Knights of the Republic I, did I miss anything?

Two, Near the end, the little remote went around an powered up the shadow maker thingie, then the remote that Goto gave me, (which I didn't really want) shows up and threatens the remote and says it is going to wait till I get there. Then after my big final battle, I never go there, I just get on the magically fixed Ebon Hawk and take off, then the planet does something and the credits roll.

Huh?

Elysian
04-05-2005, 10:12 AM
If you liked the second one, you should try the first one. I loved the first one a whole lot better. It seemed longer and more engrossing.

The ending of the second one did suck, and didn't make sense. I'm with you there.

Stark Raven Mad
04-05-2005, 10:36 AM
I'm about to finish my eighth run through the game, so if anyone has questions I can probably answer.

The ending didn't make sense because it was rushed. LucasArts forced Obsidian to push the game through within a year. When you consider how much work they got done, it doesn't end up looking like such a bad game.

And people have been digging in the game's resource files. The original ending they had planned was really pretty amazing stuff - they even had the script finished, and the speech recorded. Most of us think the designers left that in there as a big fuck you to LucasArts.

For details, see here (http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=29764&st=0).

Ferret Herder
04-05-2005, 10:39 AM
You missed a superior game by not playing KotOR1, frankly. I played through KotOR2 once, went "WTF?" at the ending, and haven't played since. KotOR1, for a game cited as having little replay value, found me replaying it several times. I even pulled it out again last night. Better character interaction, better plot, lots better ending.

Just a hint, though - you might want to go for a tough character your first time through, or the end battle might be too difficult for you.

I've had fun trying to stay at level 2 until beginning Jedi training - you get lots more Jedi powers/feats then. Tricky, but doable, depending on how you play through Taris.

Munch
04-05-2005, 11:35 AM
KOTOR2 is clearly a set-up for a third game (what, a Star Wars title that isn't a trilogy?). The ending was rushed, and it feels like it was rushed, but I think it can be redeemed with a third game. Playing it before playing the first one is probably very confusing, as you probably didn't understand the Carth/Bastilla cameo at the end, nor nearly anything regarding Revan.

To clarify the ending in as simple a way as possible, your character is headed out into deep space to find Revan - either to track down and kill/redeem, or to track down and learn from.

Ferret Herder
04-05-2005, 11:56 AM
To clarify the ending in as simple a way as possible, your character is headed out into deep space to find Revan - either to track down and kill/redeem, or to track down and learn from.
I got that part. What I didn't get was:

1. Why do you get to keep your Force powers? Aren't you a huge sucking hole in the Force that Kreia intended would destroy the Force itself if you continued to exist with those powers intact?
2. Where's the earth-shattering kaboom? Er, I mean, WTF happened with that whole running-around-turning-things-on bit on Malachor V? You turn stuff on as the remote, then G0T0 comes in and... nothing happens when you leave?
3. You clearly see the Ebon Hawk fall into a chasm... then you fly off on the undamaged ship when you leave.
4. Do you just abandon your teammates on this destroyed world that was probably supposed to blow up (except it didn't)? You get the "and this is what comes after" pre-cap from Kreia, which hints at you not seeing those people again. I'd think that at least if you were Light Side, you'd give them a ride out of there before going off into the Great Unknown.

Zebra
04-05-2005, 12:03 PM
For me Kirea tells me that my friends are the lost Jedi and I'm going to train them.

Except that Hunter babe is out fighting the wookie and the ship is all banged to heck and could I have saved myself a lot of trouble if I never gave Kirea a light saber? What if I equipped her with a stick? Could I have kicked her ass any easier?

Ferret Herder
04-05-2005, 12:14 PM
For me Kirea tells me that my friends are the lost Jedi and I'm going to train them.

Except that Hunter babe is out fighting the wookie and the ship is all banged to heck and could I have saved myself a lot of trouble if I never gave Kirea a light saber? What if I equipped her with a stick? Could I have kicked her ass any easier?
Hah, I never tried giving her a crummy weapon. Maybe I should have.

Did you convert any of your friends to Jedi during the game? I ended up Jedi-fying Bao-Dur, Atton, Mira, and Disciple, and during her talk, Kreia said that Disciple would end up teaching new Jedi. (I think. I haven't replayed it since I finished it in February.) I also played a female character, which can change your influence over certain characters - for instance, I'm not sure male characters even get Disciple. I know females don't get Handmaiden.

Ferret Herder
04-05-2005, 12:18 PM
:smack: I forgot to add, in my game I remember fighting the wookie with Mira (the hunter) on the end planet, and I think I refused to kill him, then left... presumably looking for my main character.

Maybe I missed something in Kreia's ramblings, but I got the impression from her that because she was telling you their futures, you wouldn't be seeing them. It was worded in past tense, but they aren't dead.

Zebra
04-05-2005, 12:23 PM
I don't think I 'converted' anyone. I did gain 'influence' over each character. I played a female/light side character. (Jude Grail) Visa was pretty light sided by the end.

Ferret Herder
04-05-2005, 12:29 PM
I don't think I 'converted' anyone. I did gain 'influence' over each character. I played a female/light side character. (Jude Grail) Visa was pretty light sided by the end.
You'd know if you did convert them - they talk about being able to feel the Force, change class to Jedi, can wield a lightsaber, etc. I went female/Light as well. Part of it is that you need to talk to your companions, the more the better. Click to initiate conversation, and you can ask about their past and stuff. The only one this doesn't work on as well - i.e., only in a few instances do you actually get new conversation options - is Atton Rand.

This is true in KotOR1 as well, though in some instances there they will "prompt" you to converse, early on, as a way of letting you know it's an option. (You get a message saying something like "So-and-so seems to want to say something to you" and the option to prompt a conversation or ignore it.) After that you typically have to check up on them to learn more. I forget if you get this prompting in KotOR2 or not.

Stark Raven Mad
04-05-2005, 12:29 PM
I also played a female character, which can change your influence over certain characters - for instance, I'm not sure male characters even get Disciple. I know females don't get Handmaiden.

Females get Disciple, and males get Handmaiden. And if no one's tried to Sithify Bao-Dur yet, you're missing out.

Zebra, the influence you gain on a character (sometimes by dialogue, sometimes by the things they see you do) will anchor your alignment with theirs. Certain feats help with this, but for best results, try to please your teammates. You get all kinds of perks from high influence. Stat bonuses, funny dialogue, even Force-Vision™.

smiling bandit
04-05-2005, 05:30 PM
There were two problems.

1) They watsed Malore/Canderous

2) Obviously, the ending which they didn't have time to do and are nto pleased with Lucasarts about. It was really scummy to do that to them, LA!

But think the characters and interactions are much more interesting than in the previous game.

Odesio
04-05-2005, 07:47 PM
One, I never played Knights of the Republic I, did I miss anything?

A game with a complete story and fewer loose ends. KOTOR 1 was the superior game and if you enjoyed 2 you should certainly look into purchasing it. I thought the influence system in 2 was a great idea but instead of making me look forward to conversations it just made me dread them.

Two, Near the end, the little remote went around an powered up the shadow maker thingie, then the remote that Goto gave me, (which I didn't really want) shows up and threatens the remote and says it is going to wait till I get there. Then after my big final battle, I never go there, I just get on the magically fixed Ebon Hawk and take off, then the planet does something and the credits roll.

Huh?

For whatever reason the game we got was incomplete. Who knows? You might be able to find spoilers elsewhere that descibe what was suppose to happen.

Marc

Tuco
07-16-2005, 09:30 AM
Sorry to resurrect this thread (only a month), but I've just finished the game and I have a few questions...

1) Prestige classes - I never got to pick one, when should that have happened?

2) What's through the cave on Korriban that you can't enter until you become more powerful? I never got back there.

That's all for now I think, I'm about to play it through as a sentinel to see what happens...

tanstaafl
07-16-2005, 11:48 AM
Sorry to resurrect this thread (only a month), but I've just finished the game and I have a few questions...

1) Prestige classes - I never got to pick one, when should that have happened?
I think the requirements are
1) Fifteenth level
2) Visas has shown up
3) You are almost all the way to either light or dark mastery

When you reach this point, talk to Kreia and she should say something about "gaining more power". Follow the conversation line to get your class.

2) What's through the cave on Korriban that you can't enter until you become more powerful? I never got back there.

That's all for now I think, I'm about to play it through as a sentinel to see what happens...
The infinite Hriss spawn point, among other things. There's an artifact that you can only use if you are dark sided. There are also a few cutscenes. I don't think there is anything really essential back there but you do get more of the backstory of both the Exile and Kreia.

smiling bandit
07-16-2005, 01:22 PM
BTW: Lucasarts SUCKS! I hope the whole company falls apart. Not that it will. Bastards.

wolf in second hand clothing
07-16-2005, 01:57 PM
BTW: Lucasarts SUCKS! I hope the whole company falls apart. Not that it will. Bastards.

Ah, so you read Stark Raven Mad's link, too?

Steve Wright
07-16-2005, 04:38 PM
Off on a tangent; how do you go about Jedifying/Sithifying Bao-Dur? Even with a fairly high level of influence on him, I've never got anywhere along those lines with him ... found myself writing him off as a boring conversationalist, in fact.

(Playing through it for about the fourth time, now, but the first as a Dark Side type. I note that falling to the Dark Side plays Old Harry with your complexion And Atton's, I see ... any more five o'clock shadow on him, and I think he'll make a perfectly good Sith ... )

Superdude
07-16-2005, 05:09 PM
And Bao-Dur's facial tattoos darken as he turns DS.

To convert Bao-Dur, you have to keep him in your party pretty much all through Nar Shadaa. Let him see you heal the sick man in the Refugee Sector, let him help you protect the guy from the Exchange thugs. Repair the broken landspeeder by the mercenaries, and he'll help fix it after you're done. Thank him for it.

In other words, be nice. Keep talking to him.

What sucks about Bao-Dur as a Jedi, though, is that he can't wear Jedi robes or non-Force restrictive armor, so you can't use Force Lightning or anything.

Superdude
07-16-2005, 05:10 PM
Oh, and if you want to turn him to a Dark Jedi, then you STILL have to be nice on Nar Shadaa for a while. Yeah, you gain LS points, but you have more than enough time to gain the DS ones back.

Steve Wright
07-16-2005, 05:23 PM
Sounds like it's worth a try - thanks for the tip!

(It does seem to be a bit of a problem, keeping on the good side of your companions while racking up the DS points. I've already blown every chance I had with the Handmaiden. [And T3-M4, come to that, although I'm not terribly interested in pursuing a romantic relationship with T3-M4.])

Ferret Herder
07-16-2005, 05:28 PM
(It does seem to be a bit of a problem, keeping on the good side of your companions while racking up the DS points. I've already blown every chance I had with the Handmaiden. [And T3-M4, come to that, although I'm not terribly interested in pursuing a romantic relationship with T3-M4.])
Depends which companions you mean. Off the top of my head, four will love you for being DS.

Steve Wright
07-16-2005, 05:45 PM
Hmm. Mandalore, G0-T0, HK_47 and Hanharr ... all very useful in their way, but I wouldn't pick any of them to wear the dancer's outfit, if you know what I mean.

Superdude
07-16-2005, 05:49 PM
G0T0 is about the biggest waste of a character I've seen since Ben Affleck in anything NOT Kevin Smith.

smiling bandit
07-16-2005, 06:38 PM
Ah, so you read Stark Raven Mad's link, too?

Months ago.

It's not too hard to max out influence with everyone and still max darkside. Try the influence guide on www.gamefaqs.com

Ferret Herder
07-16-2005, 06:57 PM
Hmm. Mandalore, G0-T0, HK_47 and Hanharr ... all very useful in their way, but I wouldn't pick any of them to wear the dancer's outfit, if you know what I mean.
Well, see, I wear the outfit in the games I've played. :D I wanna smack Disciple (waaaaay too earnest), but Atton, mmm...

Steve Wright
07-16-2005, 07:16 PM
The Handmaiden is much more interesting than the Disciple ... Actually, I think some of the furniture is more interesting than the Disciple ...

Superdude
07-17-2005, 12:37 AM
Well, see, I wear the outfit in the games I've played. :D I wanna smack Disciple (waaaaay too earnest), but Atton, mmm...

And, of course, Atton was played by the ever-versatile Nicky Katt (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0441588/)

rpinrd
08-05-2005, 01:03 PM
I hope this isn't too much of a zombie thread. . .
I think the requirements are
1) Fifteenth level
2) Visas has shown up
3) You are almost all the way to either light or dark mastery

When you reach this point, talk to Kreia and she should say something about "gaining more power". Follow the conversation line to get your class.

I had the same experience as Tuco and now I see why. I didn't like Kriea and so I never made her a party member if I could help it and certainly never talked to her. Pretty short sighted of me. I had another question though, on another board I read something about the eponymous crystal leveling up as well? Any truth to this? The board covered both PC and XBOX, and there was some talk of mods being thrown around, so it is possible this was a mod. I didn’t want to ask because I really wasn’t in the mood to listen to some 12 year old come back with “U R the SUXXOOOR5 LOOSER!!!III111 Eye wold pwn U.”

Just one more comment about KOTOR I vs. KOTOR II in case Zebra is still trying to decide whether to buy the game (going on 4 months now): I thought KOTOR II was WAY too easy. Even with the combat difficulty turned up to "Difficult" I still rarely died and the times I did was carlesness on my part. In KOTOR I, it seemed like I was constanly wishing for a medpac, or waiting for someone's force power to recharge so that I could get a Master Heal. In KOTOR II, it seemed like the PC's force reserves never got particularly low (and that was playing the combat class) so that it was never a problem to do as many Master Heals as possible. If I had Visas with me, forget about it - practically unlimited health. I think when I got to the fianl battle with Kreia, I had close to 40 of the really good med kits (the red ones) and that was without manufacturing any of my own.

Also, no great droid battles in KOTOR II. I had a lightsaber specially tuned for droid smashing, had the Destroy droid power, and gave all my party members droid-specific weapons as secondary weapons. Never really got to use them much.

Finally, the battles with opposing jedi in KOTOR I seemed much more difficult. I remember getting my ass handed to me a lot in KOTOR I and that just didn't happen in KOTOR II.

Dead Badger
08-05-2005, 01:54 PM
I hope this isn't too much of a zombie thread. . .

I had the same experience as Tuco and now I see why. I didn't like Kriea and so I never made her a party member if I could help it and certainly never talked to her. Pretty short sighted of me.I made a point, whenever changing locations, to go around and talk to everyone in the Ebon Hawk. This way, you get to have all the nifty influence stuff going on without having to compromise your team choice. I managed to Jedify everyone but Bao-Dur (mainly cos I found him boring and his voice really grated on me :)), and got the prestige class as normal despite rarely if ever using Kreia. I'd love to replay the game to test out different things, but for reasons which will rapidly become obvious, I won't...

May I just chime in on the whole "rushed ending/commercial considerations" thing? I've now played both KOTOR games, and have been astounded at the combination of outstanding gameplay and absolutely butt-awful quality control. Both games crashed an average of once every 30 minutes for me, frequently corrupting save games as they did so. That they released either game in this state is pretty rude. That in 2 years they didn't fix the problems for KOTOR I is an outright insult. That they still hadn't fixed the problems in what was an identical engine for KOTOR II, and STILL haven't successfully patched them is just ... well, there's no real superlative for the sort of contempt for the customer this displays. I don't care how shit-hot KOTOR III turns out to be, I'm not paying a penny for it. (Nor am I stealing it, incidentally.)

rpinrd
08-05-2005, 02:58 PM
Yeah. My "problem" was just that the two characters I liked the best, Visas and T3, weren't jedifyable so it just never came up and I didn't go out of my way to converse with the other characters. I had so much influence on Visas that she had light side mastery and the +3 constitution that comes with it. As for T3, he was as close to Light Side mastery as I could get him. I'm guessing it's not possible for a droid to acheive force mastery.

I know T3 is an odd choice, but I really like the ability to slice, repair and security my way through things. I liked that in KOTOR II bashing open a chest would damege the stuff inside. Really encourages you to use the security skill. I know that there are ways around this without using T3, but I also liked his (?) personality and once equipped with two blasters, he's not bad in combat.

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with KOTOR II crashing. Could it be your X-Box (I assume you're on the Box, if not, ignore) and not the game? I had one, maybe two crashes the entire way through KOTOR II and no corrupted files. I have heard many times that different production runs of X-Boxes have different quality levels. Something about how the hard drives used in one run are terrible. I don't know the specifics, but if you Google or even search this board you can find out how to determine if you have a bad Box.

HPL
08-05-2005, 03:33 PM

Actually, I wish they'd turn from the dark side and redeem themselves by going back to making GOOD GAMES for once. There are hints they want to do that(Sam and Max Sequel, Full Throttle Sequel) but such things don't seem to come to pass. They'd rather just pump out 20,000 shitty SW games a year then spend the time to develop excellant games like they used to be known for.

*Would love to have force persausian, walk into the CEO of Lucasarts office and tell him "You will make good games from now on. You will take the time to develop them. You will become the company you once were"*

Ferret Herder
08-05-2005, 03:45 PM
I had the same experience as Tuco and now I see why. I didn't like Kriea and so I never made her a party member if I could help it and certainly never talked to her. Pretty short sighted of me. I had another question though, on another board I read something about the eponymous crystal leveling up as well? Any truth to this? The board covered both PC and XBOX, and there was some talk of mods being thrown around, so it is possible this was a mod. I didn’t want to ask because I really wasn’t in the mood to listen to some 12 year old come back with “U R the SUXXOOOR5 LOOSER!!!III111 Eye wold pwn U.”
Yes, you can get your crystal upgraded twice (IIRC) via talking to Kreia. She and others can teach you special Force skills or give you other bonuses if you talk to them and have high enough Influence with them. I've always played Light/Female, but apparently Handmaiden has some kind of neat skill as well. If you don't care about spoilerage, head to http://www.gamefaqs.com/ and check out the longest walkthrough for KotOR II on that site - it has conversational trees mapped out for the important conversations, that will let you see what you can gain/learn, plus Influence gain/loss opportunities.

rpinrd
08-05-2005, 04:36 PM
Well, now the question is whether or not its worth it to go back through the game to experience those things, or just send it back to Gamefly and see what's next on the list. I'm leaning toward sending it back. I've got Prince of Persia II waiting in the wings, although, again, I've heard that this sequal isn't as good as the first.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.