PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about Red Dwarf

Alias
04-05-2005, 10:13 PM
I was mildly obsessed with Red Dwarf back in the early to mid-nineties. I used to watch it on PBS at midnight. For several years, I kind of forgot about it and didn't think of it again until a few years ago when I realized it was available on DVD!!!
Now I've become reobsessed with it, and even after repeated viewings I still find myself cracking up at jokes I've heard numerous times.

So. . .
Who is your favorite character?
What is your favorite episode?
What is your favorite moment/line/joke?

Mine:
I used to love Lister like crazy, but my favorite character has recently become Rimmer. I never appreciated him like I do now.

My favorite episode is, hands down, ME2 from series 1. Fantabulous. If you're not familiar with the episode title, it's the one where Rimmer duplicates himself so he can have the perfect companion. The two Rimmers become roomates, and things quickly go downhill.

My favorite joke changes from time to time, but right now I love the line where Kryton is telling the cat why they can't escape using jet-powered rocket pants.
"An excellent and inventive suggestion, sir, with just two tiny drawbacks. One,
we don't have any jet-powered rocket-pants, and two, there's no such thing as
jet-powered rocket-pants outside the fictional serial `Robbie Rocketpants'."

Merijeek
04-05-2005, 10:16 PM
...Kryten hands Lister a Polaroid...

-Joe

Kamino Neko
04-05-2005, 10:21 PM
...Kryten hands Lister a Polaroid...

-Joe

Then another.

E-Sabbath
04-05-2005, 10:28 PM
Mine... mine... mine... you can have that, I don't want it. Mine...

Johnny L.A.
04-05-2005, 10:37 PM
My Red Dwarf watching was sporadic when it was on PBS, but I did manage to tape the first couple of seasons. I have the first four seasons on DVD, and this thread has prompted me to put seasons 5 and 6 in my shopping cart.

I like all of the episodes I've seen, but there are two lines I still use. The one posted by E-Sabbath, and...

I'm gonna eat you, little fishies!
'Cause I like fish!

I've felt sorry for Rimmer a couple of times. I don't recall, but I think it was one of the eps where he was mooning over Christine Kochanski.

JDeMobray
04-05-2005, 10:39 PM
Who is your favorite character?Kryten, by a country mile.
What is your favorite episode?This is a harder one but if you forced me to pick just one one I would pick both "Polymorph" and "Quarantine", just to spite you.
What is your favorite moment/line/joke?Cat: So what is it?
Kryten: It's a white hole.
Etc.

Silentgoldfish
04-05-2005, 11:10 PM
Kryten: At 0700 hours tomorrow morning my shutdown disk will be activated and all mental and physical operations will cease.
Lister: Then what?
Kryten: I don't know, maybe I'll get a job as disk jockey.

lee
04-06-2005, 12:21 AM
My favorite character is Talkie Toaster.

Talkie Toaster: It just strikes me that there might be something more, something greater, something unimaginably more splendid than heating bread.

This thought helped me to get my college degrees.

Smeghead
04-06-2005, 02:17 AM
Red Dwarf....Red Dwarf....yes, I seem to vaguely remember something about that show...

The best joke, hands down, was the Wilma Flinstone/Betty Rubble conversation between Lister and the Cat.

bclouse
04-06-2005, 02:27 AM
I don't mean to hijack this thread but could you explain to me what Red Dwarf is about? I keep hearing people talk about it but I know nothing at all about it. It just feels like something that I would be into. I know I could go to other sites to find out, but I rather hear it from people who obviously adore it.

Silentgoldfish
04-06-2005, 02:37 AM
I don't mean to hijack this thread but could you explain to me what Red Dwarf is about? I keep hearing people talk about it but I know nothing at all about it. It just feels like something that I would be into. I know I could go to other sites to find out, but I rather hear it from people who obviously adore it.

It's a British scifi comedy series that aired from 1988 - ... well, there's been no official cancellation and it ended on a cliffhanger, but I doubt there's going to be any more series made, so there's 8 seasons out there.

Dave Lister is the only remaining crew member of the mining ship Red Dwarf, as he was in stasis at the time a radiation leak wiped out the entire crew. Revived 3 million years later, his only companions are a hologram of his dead roommate (Rimmer), a creature that evolved from his cat (and her litter of kittens), an increasingly senile ship's computer (Holly), and from season 3 on an android named Kryten.

It's a series notable for not only being very funny (up until season 7, where the creators split up and the quality dived) but set in a sci fi universe where there is no god and no aliens.

Legolamb
04-06-2005, 05:07 AM
It's a British scifi comedy series that aired from 1988 - ... well, there's been no official cancellation and it ended on a cliffhanger, but I doubt there's going to be any more series made, so there's 8 seasons out there.
There's also a film (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0276447/) on the way. Whether this is a good thing or not depends on your point of view.

To answer the OP:
Character: Mr Flibble was hands down the greatest character in any format ever.

Episode: A three-way tie between "Queeg", "Justice" and "Quarantine".

Line: From "Polymorph"
Rimmer: Erm, I think we're all beginning to lose sight of the real issue here, which is: what are we going to call ourselves? And I think it comes down to a choice between "The League Against Salivating Monsters," or - and this is my personal preference - "The Committee for the Liberation and Integration of Terrifying Organisms and their Rehabilitation Into Society." Erm, one drawback with that - the abbreviation is C.L.I.T.O.R.I.S.

Silentgoldfish
04-06-2005, 05:13 AM
There's also a film (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0276447/) on the way. Whether this is a good thing or not depends on your point of view.

I'd be very surprised if the film ever gets made. It's been in the pipeline for years now and they've not been able to secure funding for it yet.

The best polymorph line, btw, comes from Rimmer but unfortunately the whole scene's a setup for it so it doesn't translate well into messageboard form.

"Well, I can't say I'm surprised."

One And Only Wanderers
04-06-2005, 05:13 AM
Funniest scene I can think of off the top of my head, is the one where Lister is being strangled by the Polymorph in the shape of a shami Kebab, and Rimmer walks in as Kryten is trying to rescue him, but it looks like he's shagging him.

"God Lister, you'll shag anything won't you"

Hard pressed to pick a favourite character or episode. They're pretty much all good until the nanites

One And Only Wanderers
04-06-2005, 05:14 AM
Shibboleth. have we simulposted the same scene? i must have flubbed Rimmer's line

Silentgoldfish
04-06-2005, 05:24 AM
Shibboleth. have we simulposted the same scene? i must have flubbed Rimmer's line

You talkin' ta me?

Your line comes about 2 beats after the one I like.

One And Only Wanderers
04-06-2005, 05:27 AM
yeah talking to you. not my day it seems

Idlewild
04-06-2005, 06:26 AM
My favourite episode is Dimension Jump. It's hard not to like Ace Rimmer.

I watched Red Dwarf when I was young and impressionable but we did watch the first couple of seasons on DVD recently - my husband's first exposure to the cult- and it is now not that unusual to see him strutting around the house saying "Attention aaaall lady cats, I am feeling very, very sexy!"

E-Sabbath
04-06-2005, 06:37 AM
Ace Rimmer? What a *guy!*

C K Dexter Haven
04-06-2005, 06:42 AM
I have to say that I thought the first two seasons were the best.

Only seasons I - VI are out on DVD in the States, and seasons V and VI were just released within the last month or so.

Silentgoldfish
04-06-2005, 06:48 AM
I have to say that I thought the first two seasons were the best.

Me too! I think that makes two of us.

Meeko
04-06-2005, 06:49 AM
I got the first season. I've seen the first two (of 6 eps) only from it. Gotta treat it like fine wine. I've seen a few later eps on PBS as well.

I LOVED the scene where Lister is looking for food aboard the ship. He searches and searches and finally finds a can of dog food. He opens it up and enjoys the contents.

"Now I know why dogs lick their testicles!!"

But of course, its said with his accent, in a way only Lister can say it.

Meeko
04-06-2005, 06:55 AM
Also "Future Echoes" Was GREAT.

Mangetout
04-06-2005, 07:12 AM
Favourite character: Kryten - easily the most interesting and diverse character - in the screenplay, that is. Lister comes across as best/most interesting in the books, I think.

Favourite episode: probably something from the first series - Future Echoes maybe.

Favourite joke/dialogue: - too many to choose from - probably one of Kryten's comeback lines, like:
Cat: What are we waiting for, why don't we raise the defensive shields?
Kryten: An excellent plan, sir, with only two minor drawbacks: One, we don't have any defensive shields and two, we don't have any defensive shields. Now I know technically speaking that's only one drawback, but I thought it was such a big one, it was worth mentioning twice.

or

Rimmer: Step up to red alert!
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.

RealityChuck
04-06-2005, 07:37 AM
Favorite character is Dave Lister. The funniest.

Favorite episode: Parallel Universe

Favorite line: "Gazpacho soup."

Favorite in-joke: Kryten's name. I don't think I've ever seen anyone commenting on it.

It comes from the J.M. Barrie play "The Admirable Crighton" (Crighton pronounced "kryten"). Crichton is the perfect butler who turns out to be more competent than the upper class people he works for when they are all stranded on a desert island. IIRC, Kryten was first found stranded on a planet.

Merijeek
04-06-2005, 07:41 AM
My favorite character is Talkie Toaster.

Talkie Toaster: It just strikes me that there might be something more, something greater, something unimaginably more splendid than heating bread.

This thought helped me to get my college degrees.

If you liked Talkie, make sure to read Red Dwarf: Better Than Life. Talkie plays a much bigger part and is quite hilarious.

And heroic.

-Joe

Walker in Eternity
04-06-2005, 08:29 AM
Favourite joke/dialogue: - too many to choose from - probably one of Kryten's comeback lines, like:
Cat: What are we waiting for, why don't we raise the defensive shields?
Kryten: An excellent plan, sir, with only two minor drawbacks: One, we don't have any defensive shields and two, we don't have any defensive shields. Now I know technically speaking that's only one drawback, but I thought it was such a big one, it was worth mentioning twice.

or

Rimmer: Step up to red alert!
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.

You beat me to it, that's my favourite quote too.

Favourite character probably Lister for keeping his trainers in the fridge and a steady diet of curry and lager.

the Lady
04-06-2005, 08:32 AM
Oh how I love Red Dwarf.
I too encountered it when I was young and impressionable.
I managed to tape every episode, although not in the correct order, and have been thrilled to be able to get them on DVD.

My very favorite episode is Quarantine.

Favorite quote? Hmmm - that's a tough one.

"Drop dead Rimmer"
"Already have done"
"Encore"

is worth mentioning simply because of the timing...

I didn't like the later seasons as much, and I really don't like the new Kochanski.

Trion
04-06-2005, 08:42 AM
Guys! Stop reminding me! Seasons 5 and 6 came out last month and I don't have the money!

In my opinion quality remains high through season 5. That's when I think it has the best box of comedy and actual science fiction. I can't fault those who like the early seasons better. At that point the focus is heavier on comedy and characterization. Different strokes.

Things begin to suffer in season 6.

Excuse me whil I go count my pennies.

Johnny L.A.
04-06-2005, 08:50 AM
Excuse me whil I go count my pennies.
You want to know what that line looks like, pre-caffeine? :D

Trion
04-06-2005, 08:56 AM
Johnny, I'm going to assume that you put the missing "e" on "while" and that you did not, in fact, see the word "penis." :D

One And Only Wanderers
04-06-2005, 10:34 AM
And of course there were numerous occasions where Rimmer would quote some space corp directive number to back whatever cowardly position he was taking at the time, and Kryten would respond with gems such as

One-seven-four-two? 'No member of the Corps should ever report for active duty in a ginger toupee'?

or

One-Nine-Six-One-Five-Six? Any officer caught sniffing the saddle of the excercise bicycle in the women's gym will be discharged without trial.

Weaver of Nightmares
04-06-2005, 10:48 AM
Lister, hands down. And later Ace Rimmer.

'Smoke me a kipper, Skipper, I'll be back for breakfast.'

Favourite episode: the one where Ace first shows up, along with one of my favourite quotes (not spoken, but on-screen at the end of this episode):

'In all the worlds he went to, he never met a Rimmer as pathetic as this one.' [Heavily paraphrased, it's been a while since I last saw it.]

JSexton
04-06-2005, 10:52 AM
Mangetout referenced the line I was going to mention, so I'll go with:

Lister: "These aren't my shorts! These...bend."

Although I think Kryten gets the best lines overall. Or possibly Norman Lovett's Holly. I like my humor dry enough to suck the very moisture out of the air.

Legolamb
04-06-2005, 11:15 AM
I didn't like the later seasons as much, and I really don't like the new Kochanski.
I'm with you there. Not only was Clare Grogan (the original KK) a better actor, she was absolutely gorgeous too. Chloe Annette is just... meh.

Finagle
04-06-2005, 12:12 PM
One of the funniest gags in the series -- Cat walking through the ship with a spray can, spritzing objects and saying "This is mine", "This is mine", "This is mine".

One of my favorite episodes is the one where Rimmer ends up on a planet of Rimmer clones. At the beginning of the episode, Kryten has given him a set of large metal worry beads to shake to reduce stress. ("Are you still holding your beads, Sir? Start shaking them for all you're worth.") At the end of the episode, they are worn down to tiny ball bearings.

The last few seasons were a bit disappointing, but I'm still sad that the movie doesn't seem to be coming out.

Yllaria
04-06-2005, 12:13 PM
I can't believe that no one has picked Holly as their favorite character.

"Still, you have to laugh."

Monstre
04-06-2005, 12:15 PM
If you liked Talkie, make sure to read Red Dwarf: Better Than Life. Talkie plays a much bigger part and is quite hilarious.

And heroic.
I have only seen a couple episodes from the actual show (just recently gotten into it), but I just finished that book last night. (of course, having read "Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers" first). So I'm recognizing a lot of the lines here from the two books. Now I must go watch the series itself. :)

You're right -- Talkie is quite fun in the book.

MacTech
04-06-2005, 12:51 PM
Favorite character; Kryters
fav. ep. a tie between Polymorph and Backwards

quotes, oh there's so many....

Cat- is that what i think it is?
Lister- why, what do you think it is?
C- an orange whirly thing in space!

Kryten's whole sequence in Polymorph when he lost his guilt was a riot

Rimmer - there's a pot noodle, oh and i found a tin of dogfood in the cupboard
L - well, i know what gets eaten last....i can't *STAND* pot noodles

NoPretentiousCodename
04-06-2005, 01:01 PM
Lister, hands down. And later Ace Rimmer.

'Smoke me a kipper, Skipper, I'll be back for breakfast.'

Stroke me a clipper, I'll be home for Christmas!

Skywatcher
04-06-2005, 01:10 PM
Favorite character: Kryten (used to have "Spin my nipplenuts and send me to Alaska" as my sig).

Favorite episode: Backwards, followed by Camille.

Favorite quote: the entire exchange between Lister and Kryten while the former is teaching the latter how to lie. I'm especially partial to "It's the Bolivian Navy on maneuvers in the South Pacific!"

Smeghead
04-06-2005, 01:13 PM
There's also a film (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0276447/) on the way.

Yeah....that film has been "on the way" for, oh, at least eight years. It's not going to happen.

Saltire
04-06-2005, 01:39 PM
I recently watched some of the DVD's. A great bonus item in the Series II set is the episode Backwards done in reverse, the way the people from the backwards world would have seen it.

When the club manager comes in and yells at the Fabulous Backwards Brothers for the bar tidy they're about to be involved in, he actually said something like this:
I'm shaking my finger at you, but I'm not talking to you. I'm talking to the sad bastard who's actually taken the time to run this the other way round just to find out what I'm saying. What a pathetic life he must have!By the way, I think Backwards is my favorite episode.

Saltire
04-06-2005, 01:40 PM
And, of course, I meant Series III.

Mr. Blue Sky
04-06-2005, 01:53 PM
I'm with you there. Not only was Clare Grogan (the original KK) a better actor, she was absolutely gorgeous too. Chloe Annette is just... meh.

Bit o' trivia:

She was the unintended love interest in the cute and funny Gregory's Girl.

Scott Plaid
04-06-2005, 02:32 PM
I can't think of anything that has not already been quoted save for these:
Red Dwarf: Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0451452011/qid=1112815826/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-8595503-0933615?v=glance&s=books)
Better Than Life (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0140124381/qid=1112815826/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/002-8595503-0933615?v=glance&s=books)
The Last Human (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0140143882/ref=pd_sim_b_2/002-8595503-0933615?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance)

rjk
04-06-2005, 03:02 PM
Who is your favorite character?
Kryten. Unless it's Lister. Or maybe Rimmer or Cat. Or Holly.

What is your favorite episode?
"Queeg"

What is your favorite moment/line/joke?
I'm with Smeghead: Wilma and Betty for sure."I could go with Betty, but I'd be thinking of Wilma!"

Odinoneeye
04-06-2005, 03:29 PM
Am I really the first to mention The Cat as my favorite character. He's Smooth with a capital Smooooo...

Finagle took my favorite joke (The Cat walking down the hall spraying things going "This is mine, this is mine")

Favorite ep might be Confidence and Paranoia. I love the scene where Rimmer is trying to get the Cat to help Lister and Cat is too busy with lunch.

Another great scene from Balance of Power is when Rimmer has Peterson's arm and they get into a wrestling match.

Kinthalis
04-06-2005, 04:05 PM
::We interrupt this fine thread for an important announcement:::

If you're in trouble, he will save the day
He's brave and he's fearless, come what may
Without him, the mission would go astray
He's Arnold, Arnold, Arnold Rimmer

Without him, life would be much grimmer
He's handsome, trim, and no one's slimmer
He will never need a Zimmer

More reliable than a garden Strimmer
He's never been mistaken for Yul Brynner
He's not bald and his head doesn't glimmer

Master of the wit and the repartee
His command of space directives is uncanny
How come he's such a genius? Don't ask me
Ask Arnold, Arnold, Arnold Rimmer

He's also a fantastic swimmer
And if you play your cards right, then he just might come round for dinner

No rhymes left now apart from quimmer
We hope they fade us out before we get to schwimmer
Fade out you stupid plimmer

::Thank you::

dangermom
04-06-2005, 04:08 PM
Favorite characters are Norman's Holly and the Season I Cat. After he gets more human-y, he just isn't the same--though still pretty funny. But I just love him at first, spinning through the ship yowling.

I think the individual characters are better the first couple of seasons, though the plots and interaction improve in 3-5. Don't really have a single favorite episode, but "Quarantine" is up there. And I adore "Rimmerworld," because I'm a glutton for punishment. And "Queeg."

Favorite lines, some have already shown up, but I also like

"And we're going to........live!"

"Me pea!" and the ensuing moment.

"We are talking jape of the decade..."

Jayrot
04-06-2005, 04:22 PM
" Causality? Well, OK, you know, one event causes another, OK, but sometimes, you just gotta say, the laws of time and space? Who gives a smeg!' "

JSexton
04-06-2005, 04:40 PM
Whoa whoa whoa! When the smeg did a third book come out?!?

Scott Plaid
04-06-2005, 04:45 PM
A while back when I was in england, late 90s. I havenít seen it in bookstores here. It is well written, but I found it depressing, and while the events of the other books integrate scenes from the show, this has much more original material.

Monstre
04-06-2005, 04:58 PM
Whoa whoa whoa! When the smeg did a third book come out?!?
Actually, it appears that there are two other books -- both presumably picking up after Better Than Life. But one was written by Rob Grant, and one by Doug Naylor -- each author doing their own version, and neither one relating to the other. I haven't read them, and it would seem that there are mixed feelings about those books. I've been told by at least one person to avoid the Doug Naylor one ("The Last Human"). The other is called "Backwards" (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0140171509/qid=1112824722/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/002-8797989-3568862?v=glance&s=books), by Rob Grant.

BrainGlutton
04-06-2005, 05:06 PM
Mutated SuperLister: "Of course! Lager! The only thing that can kill a vindaloo!"

Alias
04-06-2005, 05:25 PM
Favorite ep might be Confidence and Paranoia. I love the scene where Rimmer is trying to get the Cat to help Lister and Cat is too busy with lunch.

You've just reminded me of that exchange! I love when Cat keeps pretending to get up as Rimmer runs back into the hall only to realize that Cat is still sitting at the table. That was hilarious. I haven't watched the first two series in ages, maybe if my household isn't entirely sick of Red Dwarf yet, I can watch a few. They're always better watching with other people.

Silentgoldfish
04-06-2005, 05:40 PM
Actually, it appears that there are two other books -- both presumably picking up after Better Than Life. But one was written by Rob Grant, and one by Doug Naylor -- each author doing their own version, and neither one relating to the other. I haven't read them, and it would seem that there are mixed feelings about those books. I've been told by at least one person to avoid the Doug Naylor one ("The Last Human"). The other is called "Backwards" (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0140171509/qid=1112824722/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/002-8797989-3568862?v=glance&s=books), by Rob Grant.

The individual books reveal a lot about why the series went downhill after teh crator split in seasons 7 & 8. Doug Naylor's book is incredible sappy and involves happy endings for all. Rob Grant's book is funnier, but much more cruel to the characters and lot harder in general.

It would appear that together they sort of balance the extremes out, but when only one of them is writing Red Dwarf you wind up with stuff like an introduced love interest for Lister followed by the revival of the entire crew of the ship.

Sarah Woodruff
04-06-2005, 05:53 PM
My favourite line is from the episode where they find that they can enter the photographs that have been developed in Kryten's specially mutated developing fluid.
Kryten:"Just think, we can go back in time to November 1963, stand on the Grassy Knoll and shout, DUCK!"
Lister and Rimmer just stare at him, shocked.
Kryten:"Oh I'm sorry, I must have bypassed my Good Taste chip!"

Monstre
04-06-2005, 06:02 PM
The individual books reveal a lot about why the series went downhill after teh crator split in seasons 7 & 8. Doug Naylor's book is incredible sappy and involves happy endings for all. Rob Grant's book is funnier, but much more cruel to the characters and lot harder in general.
So are either of them worth reading?

I just read "Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers" and "Better Than Life". Enjoyed them both, although a few questions at the end... like...
What was in the cannister with the number 1121? Was it Kristine Kochanski's remains or something? (So that she would live backwards from death along with Lister in the alternate universe, too?) That was my best guess, but I could be totally off target.

So are either of the individual books worth digging into?

Scissorjack
04-06-2005, 06:03 PM
Lister appears on the podium at Nuremberg, where Hitler is addressing a rally: "Don't listen to him! He's a fascist nutter! And he's only got one testicle!" {Gives everyone the fingers, then disappears}. Of course, you really need a thick Scouse accent to deliver Lister's lines properly.

Odinoneeye
04-06-2005, 06:08 PM
In answer to Montre's question...

Yes. There's a deleted scene from the first episode of the series where Lister is putting all the remains of the various crew into numbered canisters. You can see one of these cansiters (sans number) in the episode when the guy who becomes the first hologram is shot into space

I read both the individual books (I had to order them from Amazon.uk) and they were all right, but not nearly as good as the first two.

Skywatcher
04-06-2005, 06:20 PM
My favourite line is from the episode where they find that they can enter the photographs that have been developed in Kryten's specially mutated developing fluid.
Kryten:"Just think, we can go back in time to November 1963, stand on the Grassy Knoll and shout, DUCK!"
Lister and Rimmer just stare at him, shocked.
Kryten:"Oh I'm sorry, I must have bypassed my Good Taste chip!"Just in case:And they eventually do go back to November 1963, knock Oswald out of the window, causing him to miss JFK, who gets impeached over his womanizing, resulting in millions of panicked Americans because the missiles never left Cuba. After some failed attempts to stop themselves from interfering, the quartet decided the only way to resolve the situation is to bring a future JFK back to 1963 and shoot himself. "It will drive the conspiracy theorists nuts!"

Scott Plaid
04-06-2005, 06:31 PM
Don't believe that nonsense. Everyone Knows Who Killed Kennedy (http://nzdwfc.tetrap.com/archive/wkk/)

N9IWP
04-06-2005, 06:35 PM
I really like the Ace Rimmer bit with him sky surfing on the back of an allogator (or croc).

Brian

Odinoneeye
04-06-2005, 06:54 PM
Another great line from "Stasis Leak"

Rimmer talking to his past self:

"Look, in 3 million years, you'll be dead"

Peter Morris
04-06-2005, 07:17 PM
Favourite character : Duane Dibley

Best Episode : Back To Reality is possibly the greatest episode of a Science fiction show ever

Best moment : oh, there's so many. I don't think anyone's mentioned Cat singing tongue-tied yet. Or the tap dance he did with Blue Midget.

Best quote : Souper

MacSpon
04-06-2005, 08:34 PM
I'm surprised at the number of people who say they didn't like the later series.

Okay, yes, series 7 was pretty poor. But I liked series 8; I think it was, on the whole, better even than 6. Bringing the rest of the ship's crew back didn't actually turn out to hurt things.

Plus it gave us the sight of Rimmer smashing himself in the groin repeatedly with a hammer. :)

Johnny L.A.
04-06-2005, 10:14 PM
I've just re-watched the first two seasons. :)

Monstre
04-07-2005, 01:07 AM
Thanks, Odinoneeye -- I see my guess was right. :)

I do remember that bit in the first episode (George McIntyre), but I don't recall any mention of the cannisters in the books, until the end of "Better Than Life".

Silentgoldfish
04-07-2005, 03:09 AM
I'm surprised at the number of people who say they didn't like the later series.

Okay, yes, series 7 was pretty poor. But I liked series 8; I think it was, on the whole, better even than 6. Bringing the rest of the ship's crew back didn't actually turn out to hurt things.

Plus it gave us the sight of Rimmer smashing himself in the groin repeatedly with a hammer. :)

Season 8 had some funny moments, but I don't like it for two large reasons: They reset Rimmer's personality by having an earlier, alive version of himself replace the hologram, so they could redo all the Rimmer-is-a-prat jokes all over again. This destroyed literally years of character building and the opportunity to make different kinds of jokes about a not quite so prattish but still a bit of a dick character.

The second is that bringing back the crew of the ship kinda destroyed the whole point of the series. Part of the brilliance of Red Dwarf, IMO of course, is that it's a comedy set against an incredibly tragic backdrop, like Blackadder series 4. Comedy aside, it's the story of the last human being alive, pointlessly adrift in a cold, uncaring and empty universe. And not only that but the last person alive is a worthless slobby bum.

Reviving a girl for him and then reviving the crew (several hundred, or several thousand people, I can't remember and they changed it a few times) removes most of the elements of tragedy and is a prime example of why the series went downhill after Rob Grant left and the cloying sentimentality of Doug Naylor was allowed full reign.

Smeghead
04-07-2005, 12:51 PM
Comedy aside, it's the story of the last human being alive, pointlessly adrift in a cold, uncaring and empty universe. And not only that but the last person alive is a worthless slobby bum.

But, of course, he's supposed to jumpstart the second Big Bang. "It's the ultimate irony, innit? Lister, the ultimate atheist, turns out in fact, to be God! You twonk."

Scott Plaid
04-07-2005, 12:57 PM
:D He's already god. God of the Cats, that is. Two bad for him. :)

Merijeek
04-07-2005, 04:56 PM

I'm about 1000 miles from my book collection, but I can honestly say that one of the part three's was awesome and one was almost painful.

I just can't remember which is which.

-Joe

Meeko
04-07-2005, 05:09 PM
Thanks, Odinoneeye -- I see my guess was right. :)

I do remember that bit in the first episode (George McIntyre), but I don't recall any mention of the cannisters in the books, until the end of "Better Than Life".

Horribly butchered:

It was me plan! .... We where going to to live in the snow and have a goat. What happened to me plan? Thats ok Lister, she can stil grit the path.

Meeko
04-07-2005, 05:10 PM
Everybody's dead dave! Everybody's dead! Dead Dave.... Everybody is dead...

Biffy the Elephant Shrew
04-07-2005, 06:02 PM
What about Peterson?

Jayrot
04-07-2005, 06:27 PM
But, of course, he's supposed to jumpstart the second Big Bang. "It's the ultimate irony, innit? Lister, the ultimate atheist, turns out in fact, to be God! You twonk."

I thought he was a pantheist? (not a frying-pantheist)

Buran
04-07-2005, 06:32 PM
Series 1 - 6 are all worth watching though I'd say it hit its peak between series 3 - 6, I don't think it has quite the same feel without Kryten and the female Holly.

Agreed series 7 and 8 were complete disasters and shouldn't have been made, although it did give me one of my favourite moments of the entire show.

Where they visit the planet to bury the dead Ace Rimmer and discover an entire ring-system of Ace Rimmer's, for someone who followed Rimmer's growth and change from the first episode into someone actually quite likeable in his own cowardly (as is seen by his unprecedented decision to stand and fight at the end of series six) way it was a surprisingly moving moment.

Then it was all undone by the reset-button being pushed for series 8. :rolleyes:

Favourite episodes:

*Polymorph*

"Hi, I'm the genetic mutant"

"Jenny who?"

*Dimensional Jump*

Ace Rimmer!

What a guy...

*The Inquisitor*

Actually makes you wonder how we'll you'd do if challenged to "Justify yourself".

BTW All the Red Dwarf books are highly recommended, despite being comedies they have some of the most interesting concepts and intense scenes of any sci-fi novels I've read. I enjoyed both the last two but they were very different and its obvious Rob Grant and Doug Naylor are only at their best when working together.

Scott Plaid
04-07-2005, 06:36 PM
What about Peterson?You just used your two thound, two hundred, twenty seconfd post to ask about Catering Officer Olaf Peterson? :dubious: He was a total git! Besides, everybody is DEAD, Biffy.

P.S. Jayrot, where did you get that from? I don't remeber his having believed in gods in the least.

Harborwolf
04-07-2005, 06:38 PM
Another great line from "Stasis Leak"

Rimmer talking to his past self:

"Look, in 3 million years, you'll be dead"

What should I do, eat more ruffage?

I've always liked Craig Ferguson in "Confidence and Paranoia."

"Oxygens fer loosers."

As far as my favorite episode, it'd have to be "Backwards." Cats face and walk at the end of the episode still makes me laugh.

Jayrot
04-07-2005, 06:44 PM
You just used your two thound, two hundred, twenty seconfd post to ask about Catering Officer Olaf Peterson? :dubious: He was a total git! Besides, everybody is DEAD, Biffy.

P.S. Jayrot, where did you get that from? I don't remeber his having believed in gods in the least.

From The Last Day, regarding Silicon Heaven.

K: But aren't you a pantheist? Surely you believe that god is in all things?
L: Yeah, but I'm not a frying-pantheist.

I like how down the line a few seasons later, Lister has apparently grown to accept the idea of a silicon afterlife. When speaking about the disabled simulant ship: "Let's just hope they're rotting is silicon hell along with all the photocopiers."

_xiao_wenti_
04-07-2005, 07:35 PM
I was brousing through wikipedia and I came across the Red Dwarf entry.
Just to share
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Dwarf_%28television%29

Scott Plaid
04-07-2005, 07:48 PM
Ohh, thanks! All four books were published in audiobook format, the first two read by Chris Barrie with Last Human read by Craig Charles and Backwards read by its author Rob Grant.

Odinoneeye
04-07-2005, 10:06 PM
Funny scene from "Waiting for God"

CAT: Hey! You can't have my shiny thing! I found it, it's my shiny
thing.

RIMMER: What are you dribbling about?

CAT: (Pulls out a silver yo-yo) This is my shiny thing, and if you try
and take it off me, I may have to eat you.

RIMMER: It's a yo-yo, you modo.

CAT: It does two amazing things. One, you have the shiny thing at the
top, and the string down below, or, and this is the clever part, you
have the string at the top, and the shiny thing down here where the
string used to be.

RIMMER: Yeah ... woweeee! You haven't the slightest clue what it's for,
do you?

CAT: Why sure I do, grease stain. You hold the shiny thing in one hand,
and you go ... aaaooowww! The string's moving! Hey! Stop that thing!
Catch that string! Aaaooowww!

The cat's noises and moves are just hilarious.

Monstre
04-07-2005, 11:00 PM
Horribly butchered:

It was me plan! .... We where going to to live in the snow and have a goat. What happened to me plan? Thats ok Lister, she can stil grit the path.
Yeah, I remember that line -- but all the crew were now little piles of dust, or grit, or whatever. That part didn't specifically mention whether Lister did anything to dispose of the remains...

Oh, and I don't know if there was anything about this in the TV show, but I loved the chapter from the first book that described the evolution and history of the cats on board. Especially the bit about the cat who learned how to use the holy symbol, the can opener.

Smeghead
04-07-2005, 11:41 PM
All four books were published in audiobook format, the first two read by Chris Barrie with Last Human read by Craig Charles and Backwards read by its author Rob Grant.

On the books read by Chris Barrie, he imitates the voices of the other actors when he reads their characters' dialogue. He's eerily good at it. One of the DVDs has a recording of him doing a couple of chapters if you want to check it out.

Which reminds me of another favorite episode of mine - the one where Rimmer steals Lister's body. In the commentary on the DVD, they talk about how incredibly hard that was to film, but they did such a good job at making it look real that it looks totally effortless.

"Oh smeg oh smeg oh smeg. What the smeg have you smeggin' done?! You've lost me smeggin' arm!"
"It's worse than you think. I lost your watch, too."

congodwarf
04-08-2005, 12:03 AM
I love this show - all 8 seasons. My favorite episode is Inquisitor because it contains my favorite lines:

Kryten: Logically, sir, there is only one way you could have possibly
have opened that door. I feel quite nauseous. Where is it?
LISTER: Where's what?
KRYTEN: Oh, sir!! You've got it in your jacket!!
LISTER: I got us out of the hold, didn't I?
KRYTEN: Sir, you are sick! You are a sick, sick person! How can you
possibly even conceive of such an idea?
LISTER: Cheer up! Or I'll beat you to death with the wet end!
KRYTEN: Sir, if mechanoids could barf, I'd be onto my fifth bag by now.
You're a sick person! Sick! Sick!

I don't really have a favorite character. I love them all.

Tuco
04-08-2005, 09:19 AM
Of all the seasons I think series 5 is the best, when they left the Dwarf it seemed to go very downhill. The latest season is dire IMHO and completely unwatchable.

Favourite character - Rimmer, such a loser but can also be such a bastard.
Episode - Back to Reality or the Wild West one (sorry, don't remember the name)

I've read all the books, the two they wrote together were very great, Rob Grant's was good, Doug Naylor's was just bizaare, not in a good way.

Hypno-Toad
04-08-2005, 09:40 AM
The planet of wax figure robots had two of my favorite moments:

-Listers face as he watches Winnie the Pooh go before the firing squad.

-When Lister puts Rimmers "light bee" in his mouth and spits it out. The way Rimmer says, "My god, that was disgusting" just slays me.

Alias
04-08-2005, 10:15 AM

-When Lister puts Rimmers "light bee" in his mouth and spits it out. The way Rimmer says, "My god, that was disgusting" just slays me.

Ha! That was a great episode. I'd forgotten about the light bee. Rimmer's line is great, but like most things Red Dwarf, it's the accent that makes it hilarious.

meanoldman
04-08-2005, 11:02 AM
One of my favorite lines appears fairly early on. When the Cat character is first introduced.

Cat: " You monkees eat off the floor?"

And who can forget Rimmer dressed in that nice, red gingham dress. " Mr. Flibbles says, Game over boys".

FlightlessBird
04-08-2005, 11:15 AM
Whoa whoa whoa! When the smeg did a third book come out?!?I'm in agreement here, when did this happen?! I must buy the good one, which is it again?

Favorite line, gets a lot of use from me:

Lister(Waking up drunk): What time is it?
Rimmer(Also drunk squinting at a clock):Thursday. There're some numbers after that, but they could be anything.

Cheers!

Odinoneeye
04-08-2005, 04:15 PM
I saw you cross the dance floor (dancing)
I thought of birds and bees (reproductive system baby)
but when I tried to talk to you (talk talk)
My tongue unraveled to my knees (flippity flippity flop)

I tried to say I love you (love you)
but it came out kind of wrong girl (wrong girl)
It sounded like ma-doobadee-doop
a-ma-ma-merme-mamer

sturmhauke
04-08-2005, 04:36 PM
::We interrupt this fine thread for an important announcement:::

If you're in trouble, he will save the day
He's brave and he's fearless, come what may
Without him, the mission would go astray
That was probably my favorite episode. "I never want to see that stupid smeghead again!"

I think Cat might be my favorite character, but they're all great. Well, maybe Kochanski isn't great, but I don't hate her.

Cat: Fish!
Food Machine: Today's fish is trout ala creme. Enjoy your meal.
(repeats several times, so that Cat has a huge stack of fish)
Cat: I will!
(later in the episode)
Cat: My stomach has been pumped and now I'm hungry! Aaaooowwww!

Skywatcher
04-08-2005, 06:18 PM
Food escape!

Alias
04-08-2005, 06:55 PM
And who can forget Rimmer dressed in that nice, red gingham dress. " Mr. Flibbles says, Game over boys".

Oh man. I just saw that episode for the first time the other day. It quickly became one of my new favorites.

Thank you all for so many responses! I'm so glad there are more Red Dwarf fans out there!

Buran
04-08-2005, 06:56 PM
Actually I think people are unduly harsh on Clare Grogan as Kochanski, she seemed really uncomfortable in series 7 alongside the established characters but in my opinion was much more watchable in series 8. Pity the material she had to work with with in that series was awful.

Silentgoldfish
04-08-2005, 07:10 PM
Clare Grogan was the first Kochanski who showed up in flashbacks or the rare time travelling escapade. Chloe Annet was the Kochanski introduced in series 7&8 as a regular travelling companion from another dimension.

I don't think she was ever really able to overcome the wrong-headedness of that characters introduction as a main character to be any good.

Buran
04-08-2005, 07:23 PM
There you go, I was thinking of the wrong person.

I think the introduction of Kochanski as a main character could have worked if the writing quality was at the level of series 3 - 6, however the four main characters plus Holly (a female character that worked) was more than enough material to be going on and the whole premise of series 8 was a massive mistake.

Silentgoldfish
04-08-2005, 07:48 PM
I don't think the introduction of a female human character as a main would have ever worked well, with the premise of Red Dwarf being about the last human and all.

The reason Holly worked was because she's a computer :).

Odinoneeye
04-08-2005, 08:18 PM
Rimmer lamenting on his ignorance of gazpacho soup:

I bet Toddhunter was fed gazpacho soup as soon as he was on solids. No, he was probably breast fed on it. One side gazpacho soup, the other side chilled champagne. Pbbbbbbbt.

Ah, I'm really going to have to dig up my tapes again.

Alias
04-09-2005, 09:52 AM
Rimmer lamenting on his ignorance of gazpacho soup:

I bet Toddhunter was fed gazpacho soup as soon as he was on solids. No, he was probably breast fed on it. One side gazpacho soup, the other side chilled champagne. Pbbbbbbbt.

I just watched that episode last night! It's my absolute favorite. I love the part when Rimmer is talking to Lister in the cinema about how the new Rimmer is driving him crazy.
"He's gone and changed all of my military grey back to ocean grey, he's quite, quite mad."
or when the two Rimmers are fighting, and the first Rimmer screams at the other and calls him a filthy piece of distended rectum.
:D

Steve Wright
04-09-2005, 05:36 PM
:D He's already god. God of the Cats, that is. Two bad for him. :)He's not a god, he's just been ... misquoted.

congodwarf
04-09-2005, 07:14 PM
Cat: My stomach has been pumped and now I'm hungry! Aaaooowwww!

This reminds me of my other favorite line:L

Cat: My stomach has been pumped and now I'm hungry Aaoooowwww!

Lister: Shh, Rimmer's dad's died.

Cat: I prefer chicken.

Johnny L.A.
04-20-2005, 01:32 PM
Just thought of this one.

Rimmer claims he did some acting in his youth. He hunches over and makes his hand into a claw, mimicing Richard III. In a crackling voice he says...

'Now... Well, that's all I can remember.'

Skywatcher
04-20-2005, 01:38 PM

-When Lister puts Rimmers "light bee" in his mouth and spits it out. The way Rimmer says, "My god, that was disgusting" just slays me.Ha! That was a great episode. I'd forgotten about the light bee. Rimmer's line is great, but like most things Red Dwarf, it's the accent that makes it hilarious.I just saw this one early Sunday morning, after Doctor Who.

The bits with the transporter paddles were great!

Odinoneeye
04-20-2005, 02:54 PM
This reminds me of my other favorite line:L

Cat: My stomach has been pumped and now I'm hungry Aaoooowwww!

Lister: Shh, Rimmer's dad's died.

Cat: I prefer chicken.

And before that...

Lister: Rimmer, dumplings, when done properly, proper dumplings, when cooked to perfection... do not bounce.

and...

Lister: the skutters just do what you say

Rimmer: But they don't do they? You say "watch that lamb" and they do that. They sit there for three hours and watch it burn.

psiekier
04-20-2005, 03:38 PM
My favourite episode was always The Last Day, in which Kryten's replacement from Divadroid International finally tracks him down aboard Red Dwarf and is prepared to replace him. No matter how many times I see it, I still laugh when Hudson-10 breaks the brick!

My favourite character is Kryten. Hands down, his scenes make me laugh the most.

I think the best scene was from one of the later seasons when Rimmer is torturing Kryten with a slideshow of his vacation from the diesel decks:

Kryten: "Can we take a break, sir? It appears my intelligence circuits have melted."

Rimmer: "Kryten, if we stop, we may never make it to the Class V's!"

Kryten: "Sir, that's a gamble I'm willing to take."

Smeghead
04-21-2005, 12:44 AM
Just thought of this one.

Rimmer claims he did some acting in his youth. He hunches over and makes his hand into a claw, mimicing Richard III. In a crackling voice he says...

'Now... Well, that's all I can remember.'
Ah, yes, that famous "now" speech...

Improbability
04-21-2005, 02:56 AM
Even though a large number if my friends wax lyrical about Red Dwarf frequently, I have never been able to acquire a taste for it. I tried again a few months back, by watching a few episodes, but it didn't happen. That said, those episodes were from the first series, which I have been led to believe is not as good.

Alias
04-21-2005, 09:27 AM
Even though a large number if my friends wax lyrical about Red Dwarf frequently, I have never been able to acquire a taste for it. I tried again a few months back, by watching a few episodes, but it didn't happen. That said, those episodes were from the first series, which I have been led to believe is not as good.

Well, Red Dwarf, sadly, isn't for everyone. The first series has some of the best jokes in it, but the best story lines come from the later series like 3-6, although I think series 6 is definitely inferior to the earlier series.

Improbability
04-22-2005, 11:58 AM
That's interesting. It wouldn't be the first time that the first series won out.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.