PDA

View Full Version : confusing NASCAR sticker...FAG

monkeyfist
05-22-2005, 04:18 PM
I have seen on more than a few vehicles with a sticker or self made proclamation made from stick on letters that read:

Fans
Against
Gordon

I know that Gordan is a racer, but I don't understand the intent of the sticker.

Is the person displaying the sticker against Gordon, and calling themselves a FAG?

Is the person displaying it a Gordon fan, and calling the anti-Gordon person a "FAG"?

Did Gordon say fag in an interview, and now FAG is being used as a protest against him?

What's the deal?

Mr. Blue Sky
05-22-2005, 04:30 PM
More than you probably want to know (http://groups.msn.com/FansAgainstGordon/thecaseagainstjeffgordon.msnw)

Also, Gordon is sometimes referred to as the "Rainbow Warrior". The rainbow is often associated with gay rights. Whether this is relevant, I don't know.

hermann
05-22-2005, 04:41 PM
Also, Gordon is sometimes referred to as the "Rainbow Warrior"

And in case you were wondering why that is, it's becuse of the paint scheme on his DuPont-sponsored car.

Polycarp
05-22-2005, 04:55 PM
There are some allegations, AFAIK unfounded, that Mr. Gordon is in fact bisexual. The Dupont rainbow paint scheme contributes to this hypothesis. Supposedly he and his wife separated after she discovered him in a compromising position.

monkeyfist
05-22-2005, 04:59 PM
I'm still not sure I understand the sticker. It appears that the fans dislike Gordon because he represents a corporate influence in motor sports (or just NASCAR?) that amounts to unfair competition. Additionally, his car has a rainbow paint scheme.

So, is the sticker pro or anti Gordon? Is the sticker calling the anti-Gordon fans FAG, or is the sticker owner proclaiming their anti-Gordon opinion and calling themselves a FAG?

I would assume the former, as the latter would be anti-intuitive, but it isn’t very clear to me.

Mr. Blue Sky
05-22-2005, 05:03 PM
The sticker is anti-Gordon (the site refers to him as "Jeffipoo Gordum"). I think the acronym is a jab at Gordon, but I wonder if they really thought it out.

"Yeah, that's right, I'm a FAG!"

"You're a gay man?"

"Uh, no. I'm a Fan Against Gordon, you know, a FAG."

"Ah, I see."

Wendell Wagner
05-22-2005, 05:06 PM
monkeyfist writes:

> Is the sticker calling the anti-Gordon fans FAG, or is the sticker owner
> proclaiming their anti-Gordon opinion and calling themselves a FAG?

Neither. Without knowing anything about this before opening this thread, it's obvious to me what the fans that have these bumper stickers are saying. They're saying that they don't like Gordon and that he is probably homosexual.

monkeyfist
05-22-2005, 05:24 PM
The sticker is anti-Gordon (the site refers to him as "Jeffipoo Gordum"). I think the acronym is a jab at Gordon, but I wonder if they really thought it out.

"Yeah, that's right, I'm a FAG!"

"You're a gay man?"

"Uh, no. I'm a Fan Against Gordon, you know, a FAG."

"Ah, I see."

Yeah, seems very counterintuitive. “I’m a FAG! That’s right, I’m homophobic and hate that rainbow car driving, boy-kissing-fag Gordon.” I thought this is what it was, but couldn’t believe that the owner wouldn’t immediately see it this way too. It still makes no sense to me.

Neither. … They're saying that they don't like Gordon and that he is probably homosexual.
Mr. BS, then my second suggestion would be correct. “the sticker owner [is] proclaiming their anti-Gordon opinion and calling themselves a FAG”

Mr. Blue Sky
05-22-2005, 05:30 PM
Mr. BS, then my second suggestion would be correct. “the sticker owner [is] proclaiming their anti-Gordon opinion and calling themselves a FAG”

Well, I didn't make that second comment, but I agree.

monkeyfist
05-22-2005, 05:40 PM
Well, I didn't make that second comment, but I agree.OOPS, sorry. :smack:

<Ten-year old playing kickball>
DOOOO OVERRRR!!!!
</Ten-year old playing kickball>

Neither. … They're saying that they don't like Gordon and that he is probably homosexual.

Wendell, then my second suggestion would be correct. “the sticker owner [is] proclaiming their anti-Gordon opinion and calling themselves a FAG”

Wendell Wagner
05-22-2005, 05:42 PM
No, they're calling Gordon a fag, not themselves.

Scott Plaid
05-22-2005, 05:49 PM
No, they're calling Gordon a fag, not themselves.That might be what they are attempting to say, but by referring to themselves as Fans Against Gordon, they are thereby calling themselves F.A.G.s.

Muffin
05-22-2005, 05:54 PM
I wouldn't set very high hopes on gay haters making much sense.

Wendell Wagner
05-22-2005, 05:59 PM
Scott Plaid writes:

> That might be what they are attempting to say, but by referring to themselves
> as Fans Against Gordon, they are thereby calling themselves F.A.G.s.

I'd like to see you explain that to the people who display those bumper stickers. They would say, "What are you, an English teacher? You're probably a fag too." And then they would homosexually rape you before killing you.

ltfire
05-22-2005, 06:10 PM
You know you're a Redneck when you hate fags, and you are one.

Scott Plaid
05-22-2005, 06:18 PM
I'd like to see you explain that to the people who display those bumper stickers. They would say, "What are you, an English teacher? You're probably a fag too." And then they would homosexually rape you before killing you.I love that song. (Dueling Banjos)

P.S. You know, as long as we are arguing grade-school style, I know how to use a gun. That is to say, to protect against anal-rapist, not grade schoolers. :smack:

monkeyfist
05-22-2005, 06:24 PM
Scott Plaid writes:

> That might be what they are attempting to say, but by referring to themselves
> as Fans Against Gordon, they are thereby calling themselves F.A.G.s.

I'd like to see you explain that to the people who display those bumper stickers. They would say, "What are you, an English teacher? You're probably a fag too." And then they would homosexually rape you before killing you.

Reminds me of that movie, Say It Isn't So, a comedy. (thanks imdb.com)
In the movie, the town tough (mistakenly) believes a guy is in town to have an incestuous affair with his own sister.
If I remeber correctly, they chaise him through the woods and he gets away, so as he is too far away, they say:
Freddy: "He better not come back!"
Jimmy: (screaming for the guy to hear) "Yeah, that's right, or we'll tie you to a tree, fuck you in the ass while we jerk you off! Show you what we really do to perverts around here!"

monkeyfist
05-22-2005, 06:25 PM
p.s. I am an English Teacher. :)

Padeye
05-22-2005, 08:44 PM
I opened this thinking it was about the German ball bearing manufacturer. Now I wonder if it has anything to do with the characters in Jack Chick's latest tract.

monkeyfist
05-22-2005, 08:50 PM
I opened this thinking it was about the German ball bearing manufacturer. Now I wonder if it has anything to do with the characters in Jack Chick's latest tract.

What? Explain the "German ball bearing manufacturer" and "Jack Chick's latest tract" for me.

Please?

Scott Plaid
05-22-2005, 09:01 PM
p.s. I am an English Teacher. :)Really.... :dubious:

FAG Kulgelfischer Georg Schafer AG. It manufactures ball bearings, cylindrical roller bearings and spherical roller bearings.

Also, many people in Jack Chick books look an awfull lot like the often seen stereotype of Nascar Fan, ie, they posess man-boobs, and wear wife-beater shirts.

monkeyfist
05-22-2005, 09:17 PM
Really.... :dubious:
FAG Kulgelfischer Georg Schafer AG. It manufactures ball bearings, cylindrical roller bearings and spherical roller bearings.

Also, many people in Jack Chick books look an awfull lot like the often seen stereotype of Nascar Fan, ie, they posess man-boobs, and wear wife-beater shirts.

Why the :dubious: ?

To clarify, I wasn’t bragging, “Oh, I am an English teacher. I am so cool.” I actually am a high school English teacher. However, I am not a nitpicky Grammar Nazi in regular life. I know there is a time and place for strict grammar compliance. I was responding to Wendell Wagner’s post with the unsettling suggestion that I would be “homosexually” raped and killed for wondering at the incongruity of the homophobic Anti-Gordonists that call themselves FAGs.

A ball bearing company with the name FAG, huh? Well, wonders never cease.

Also, I apologize that I am not intimately aware of the entire body of all authors and their works. ;)

Padeye
05-22-2005, 09:59 PM
Sorry not to provide links. http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/1022/1022_01.asp The latest tract has a NASCAR theme with a hellbound driver some people compared to Jeff Gordon in another thread. "The Kid," rised from go-kart and midget racing to challenge the older, proseltyzing champ who seems to be a thinly disguised Dale Earnhardt.

The name of another German company that makes turbochargers is sometimes misinterpeted as well, KKK Turbolader.

Scott Plaid
05-22-2005, 10:40 PM
Why the :dubious: ? I wasn't really doubting you, it's just that I thought it sounded funny that a teacher would be anything other then a perfect stereotype of prim and proper, and figured a smiley would express my saying "realllllllyyyy.: (The wourd realy, but long and drawn out.)

Unregistered Bull
05-22-2005, 10:55 PM
You know you're a Redneck when you hate fags, and you are one.

Or Black Baptist preacher :rolleyes:

monkeyfist
05-22-2005, 11:33 PM
I wasn't really doubting you, it's just that I thought it sounded funny that a teacher would be anything other then a perfect stereotype of prim and proper, and figured a smiley would express my saying "realllllllyyyy.: (The wourd realy, but long and drawn out.)
AH! Gotcha. I can attest that the Stereotypical Prim and Proper Grammar Nazi HS English Teachers (SPaPGNHSET) do, infact, exist. I work with a few. But there are a few of us that are, shall we say, less than Prim and Proper... :)

Lakai
05-22-2005, 11:39 PM
I have seen on more than a few vehicles with a sticker or self made proclamation made from stick on letters that read:

Fans
Against
Gordon

I know that Gordan is a racer, but I don't understand the intent of the sticker.

Is the person displaying the sticker against Gordon, and calling themselves a FAG?

Is the person displaying it a Gordon fan, and calling the anti-Gordon person a "FAG"?

Did Gordon say fag in an interview, and now FAG is being used as a protest against him?

What's the deal?

I can't see it as anything else but calling people who do not like Gordon fags. I think that it might also be saying that Gordon is not a fag but the people hate him (the homophobic people) are.

Wendell Wagner
05-22-2005, 11:40 PM
monkeyfist writes:

> I was responding to Wendell Wagner’s post with the unsettling suggestion that
> I would be “homosexually” raped and killed for wondering at the incongruity of
> the homophobic Anti-Gordonists that call themselves FAGs.

The anti-Gordon people are not calling themselves fags. They are calling Gordon a fag. And I find it bizarre that anyone could misunderstand what they are saying. I really do mean to warn you about what you say to such people. The sort of people who think that the ultimate insult that they could give Gordon is to say that they hate him and that he is probably homosexual are very dangerous. If you went to them and said, "So, when you put that bumper sticker on your car, are you saying that you hate Gordon and that you are a fag?", you would be lucky if they merely punched your lights out. I think that some of them would certainly want to say, "What are you, an English teacher coming up with these stupid interpretations of what I said? You must be a fag yourself." And then they would rape you and kill you and never for a second get the irony in doing that. Indeed, if someone else pointed out to them that there was irony in what they had done, they would say, "Irony? What, are you another English teacher? You must be a fag too." And then they would rape and kill that person too, and they still wouldn't get the irony.

user v1.05
05-22-2005, 11:46 PM
Seeing as a simple google search quickly answers this question, it seems to just be a lame trolling attempt.

I don't think you're gonna find many F.A.G.'s here.

monkeyfist
05-22-2005, 11:50 PM
I can't see it as anything else but calling people who do not like Gordon fags. I think that it might also be saying that Gordon is not a fag but the people hate him (the homophobic people) are.

Well, this SEEMS the most logical assumption, but the reality is that there is a web site and the group that dislikes Gordon call themselves Fans Against Gordon http://groups.msn.com/FansAgainstGordon

From that website:
“Welcome to the fanclub Jeffie poo never wanted. We are the fans against gordon.We all love Nascar and can't stand lil jeffie's whining and crying. It seems like Jeffie captured the golden goose again. Lets just hope he doesn't get another championship this year.”

And they are mentioned in this blog http://gay_blog.blogspot.com/2002/04/what-cardinals-dont-understand-sane.html

“Calling a professional athlete gay is 'the worst' insult, experts say. Just ask NASCAR hero and four-time Winston Cup winner Jeff Gordon. When he announced he is divorcing his wife of eight years, rabid racing fans -- known for their staunch loyalty to favorite drivers and vehement opposition to rivals -- pounced on the opportunity to rehash rumors that Gordon is gay. There's no apparent basis for these rumors. The divorce decree sparked renewed interest in the five-year-old group Fans Against Gordon and their popular T-shirts that read "F.A.G.: Fans Against Gordon.””

F.A.G.'s are against Gordon, hate him, and think he is gay. The ridicule him for this and then call themselves, F.A.G.'s. Makes absolutely zero sense to me, but neither do their mullets. “Business in the front, party in the back!!” :)

monkeyfist
05-22-2005, 11:52 PM
Seeing as a simple google search quickly answers this question, it seems to just be a lame trolling attempt.

I don't think you're gonna find many F.A.G.'s here.

I was not "trolling" just asked here without doing a google search myself. That is lame, but it's the truth.

Lakai
05-23-2005, 12:01 AM
F.A.G.'s are against Gordon, hate him, and think he is gay. The ridicule him for this and then call themselves, F.A.G.'s. Makes absolutely zero sense to me, but neither do their mullets. “Business in the front, party in the back!!” :)

I don't think they call themselves F.A.G.'s. If they do I did not notice it. I think they made the name without realizing that it could be mocked by a clever bumper sticker.

Wendell Wagner
05-23-2005, 12:06 AM
Once again, they are not calling themselves "F.A.G.'s". They are saying that they hate Gordon, and they are implying (in what they think is a clever way) that he is gay. The fact that the letters "F.A.G." appear on the bumper sticker doesn't mean that they are calling themselves "F.A.G.'s".

monkeyfist
05-23-2005, 12:16 AM
monkeyfist writes:The anti-Gordon people are not calling themselves fags. They are calling Gordon a fag. And I find it bizarre that anyone could misunderstand what they are saying. I really do mean to warn you about what you say to such people. [snip]

I know they aren't calling themselves homosexuals. But they are, in fact, calling themselves FAG's. And for the record, I have a modicum of intelligence, and wouldn't go to anybody and say, “are you a FAG? You’re a FAG!!" In your previous post, I wasn't sure if the irony of the threat to my anal virginity was clear to you, or if the threat was a thinly veiled threat from you personally. Based on the extreme insistence and violence surrounding the threat of anal rape and death, I am still uneasy about your true motivations… It reads a little too intense.

I don’t follow NASCAR or any of the other motor sports. I have only seen the bumper sticker a couple of times, and today I saw a “home made” sticker letter window sign thing. I normally cringe when I see people posting things that a simple google search would answer, and I am usually the first person to google a posed question to find the answer. My wife and I saw the home-made window proclamation and discussed it on the way home from the grocery store. I couldn’t wrap my head around what they were saying. For whatever reason, I didn’t think to google it, and instead brought it here. Based upon the fact that others here have also erroneously suggested that the F.A.G. title is a derogatory insult for the people that think Gordon is a homosexual, I am apparently not the only to have trouble understanding this apparently ironic self-labeling.

Lakai
05-23-2005, 12:26 AM
Once again, they are not calling themselves "F.A.G.'s". They are saying that they hate Gordon, and they are implying (in what they think is a clever way) that he is gay. The fact that the letters "F.A.G." appear on the bumper sticker doesn't mean that they are calling themselves "F.A.G.'s".

How on earth do you see this?

monkeyfist
05-23-2005, 12:29 AM

O.K., they are not F.A.G.s, but they are Fans Against Gordon, right? I do not think that the FAG acronym is at all coincidental, and the window sign I saw today clearly bolded the first of these letters and arranged them vertically so that the acronym was as clear as possible. It is clear then that they intentionally chose the acronym FAG for their group. The name of the group is adjectival; it describes them as fans against Gordon. They are collectively then, whether they like it or not, F. A. G.s. NOT Homosexuals, but F. A. G.s. This is no different than the Mothers Against Drunk Driving group that intentionally chose the acronym MADD.. They intended that the reader of this acronym know that they are, in fact, mad about the drunk driving. They called themselves MADD because they are mad. I KNOW that the F.A.G.s are not necessarily homosexuals, but they clearly didn’t think this naming-of-the-group-thing through too well.

monkeyfist
05-23-2005, 12:31 AM
How on earth do you see this?

Lakai, visit the first link in post #10. They hate Gordon, they call themselves, Fans Against Gordon.

I know, unbelievable.

monkeyfist
05-23-2005, 12:32 AM
Lakai, visit the first link in post #10. They hate Gordon, they call themselves, Fans Against Gordon.

I know, unbelievable.
Errrrr, post #30, ah damnit, here it is again, Fans Against Gordon (http://groups.msn.com/FansAgainstGordon)

Gary T
05-23-2005, 12:38 AM
How stupid do you have to be to claim to be a member of group whose initials spell "FAG" and even put a bumper sticker on your car that says "F.A.G." and still think you're not labeling yourself a "FAG?" They may somehow think they're not calling themselves "FAG's" but I would bet that virtually everyone else in the world thinks that exactly what they're doing.

Wendell Wagner
05-23-2005, 12:41 AM
monkeyfist writes:

> Based on the extreme insistence and violence surrounding the threat of anal
> rape and death, I am still uneasy about your true motivations… It reads a little
> too intense.

I'm not trying to attack you. I'm trying to warn you. It sounded to me like you were trying to say that they were being ironic in calling themselves "F.A.G.'s". These people spit on the idea of irony. These people are dangerous. They would never allow you to say that their organization should be referred to as "F.A.G.'s", and if you said as much to them, you would be in extreme danger.

Wendell Wagner
05-23-2005, 12:44 AM
Gary T writes:

> How stupid do you have to be to claim to be a member of group whose initials
> spell "FAG" and even put a bumper sticker on your car that says "F.A.G." and
> still think you're not labeling yourself a "FAG?" They may somehow think they're
> not calling themselves "FAG's" but I would bet that virtually everyone else in
> the world thinks that exactly what they're doing.

They are stupid, and they are dangerous.

Lakai
05-23-2005, 12:47 AM
I went through all their posts and found this. (http://groups.msn.com/FansAgainstGordon/general.msnw?action=get_message&mview=0&ID_Message=858&LastModified=4675446519317904996)

It appears that they definitely know that they are “F.A.G.s” and I was glad to see that one of them pointed out they were not a homosexual community. I think Mr. Blue Sky second reply is the most accurate version.

monkeyfist
05-23-2005, 12:51 AM
Upon more internet searching, I have "discovered" that there are numerous anti-Gordon groups and organizations. Only this particular one are F. A. G.
Others include:

Fans Against Jeff Gordon (FAJG)
United Against Gordon (UAG)
NASCAR Fans Against Jeff Gordon (NFAJG)
there are more

I had been under the impression that F.A.G. was the official anti-Gordon group. This does not appear to be the case. So, apparently only the F.A.G. group is ironically challenged.

So to be clear, I guess, not all Gordon haters are F.A.G.s, just the F.A.G.s are.

monkeyfist
05-23-2005, 12:57 AM
I went through all their posts and found this. (http://groups.msn.com/FansAgainstGordon/general.msnw?action=get_message&mview=0&ID_Message=858&LastModified=4675446519317904996)

It appears that they definitely know that they are “F.A.G.s” and I was glad to see that one of them pointed out they were not a homosexual community. I think Mr. Blue Sky second reply is the most accurate version.
Holy Poop! Thanks for the link Lakai. The actual post and response is as follows:
"im so happy to be a part of FAG, everyone's been really nice to me.
im happy that FAG has come a long way int he past year and hope that u guys will let me be a member for years to come."

"Welcome FAG! We hope you have a good time here. Post often and be ready of the feed back. We dont always agree with each other.
So there is no confusion, this is a racing communittee made up of members who think Jeffiepoo Gordum is a jerk. This is NOT a homo site.
Express your opinions as you like, and have fun.
Chuck"

::shakes head:: You just can't make this stuff up.

Barely Adequate
05-23-2005, 01:12 AM
When all is said and done, I think it's safe to say that the concept of "irony" is lost on your averge NASCAR fan.... mulletts kinda' block out anything that is even slightly nuanced.

-Richard

toadspittle
05-23-2005, 06:42 AM
On the same inexplicable car sticker front ...

We've all seen the "Calvin peeing on various things" stickers. Calvin Peeing on Dale Gordon's # 3. Calvin Peeing on the Chevy symbol. Calvin peeing on the Ford symbol.

Well, I recently saw, on a Chevy, a sticker of Calvin peeing on ANOTHER Calvin who was peeing on the Chevy symbol.

So the moral is: Two wrongs do make a right, even if your car is being peed on

Uncommon Sense
05-23-2005, 08:02 AM
On the same inexplicable car sticker front ...

We've all seen the "Calvin peeing on various things" stickers. Calvin Peeing on Dale Gordon's # 3. Calvin Peeing on the Chevy symbol. Calvin peeing on the Ford symbol.

Well, I recently saw, on a Chevy, a sticker of Calvin peeing on ANOTHER Calvin who was peeing on the Chevy symbol.

So the moral is: Two wrongs do make a right, even if your car is being peed on
Earnhardt, that should be.

Anyway regarding the OP;
Jimmy Johnson and Gordon are teammates. Johnson's number is 48. Gordon's is 24. Is it any coincidence that 24 goes into 48 twice? Or that Gordon goes into Johnson twice? I think not.

Hentor the Barbarian
05-23-2005, 08:18 AM
Well, it could be worse. You could be sporting a bumper sticker that proclaims:

"I love Dick Trickle"

http://www.dicktricklefanclub.com/

F. U. Shakespeare
05-23-2005, 08:39 AM
This reminds me of the acronym chosen by Richard Nixon's irony-impaired 1972 re-election committee:

The Committee to Re-Elect the President = CREEP

Philster
05-23-2005, 10:15 AM
Calling Gordon a fag is Petty. Or, if you are a Fan Against Gordon -- a fag -- then you could use a Johnson to route for. Getting caught with Dick Trickle would be the pits, but if you are a FAG, you might consider that a GoodYear. Don't forget the oil and some new rubber.

Scott Plaid
05-23-2005, 11:27 AM
(SPaPGNHSET) do, infact, exist. You do not understand, Lord Fisk. I am expressing doubt that there are really any other kind of English teachers besides SPaPGNHSETs. No matter how often, or how you show examples, I will not believe you. :) Kinda like...

Wendell Wagner: You might claim that you are not of the group you claim to be warning us against, And I believe you. Your obsession with anal rape clearly show you do not now the least thing about nascar fans. (p.S. I care not a whit for sports) When I was a youngster, I used to spend time in Needmore, PA, and let me tell you, the local were only 1/3rd as interested in homosexualy raping people who understand the rules of grammer, as you seem to believe they are. :)

monkeyfist
05-23-2005, 03:59 PM
You do not understand, Lord Fisk. I am expressing doubt that there are really any other kind of English teachers besides SPaPGNHSETs. No matter how often, or how you show examples, I will not believe you. :) Kinda like...

Wendell Wagner: You might claim that you are not of the group you claim to be warning us against, And I believe you. Your obsession with anal rape clearly show you do not now the least thing about nascar fans. (p.S. I care not a whit for sports) When I was a youngster, I used to spend time in Needmore, PA, and let me tell you, the local were only 1/3rd as interested in homosexualy raping people who understand the rules of grammer, as you seem to believe they are. :)

I had to do a google search to find the "Lord Fisk" reference. 'Cause you know, I never watch Kim Possible. ;)

Padeye
05-23-2005, 04:20 PM
U'm suprrised no one made a connnection to the politically liberal Film Actor's Guild in Team America: World Police.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.